St. Xavier Football 2022

Defense (after 7v7's, before scrimmages)
DE2 #53 Isiah Jackson Sr. 6'3" 235lb offers from Otterbein, Hanover
DE3 #44 Dijon Harris Sr. 6'1" 230lb
NG #99 Antony Morris Sr. 6'2" 273lb offers from Morehead St, Valparaiso, Hanover, Walsh University, MSJ
DE1 #97 Ted Hammond Jr. 6'5” 260lb offers from Vanderbilt, Temple, UMass, UConn, Pitt, Miami (OH), Duke, Iowa, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Kentucky
OLB (Will) Noah Beck Jr. 6’2” 230lb
ILB (Sam) #14 Pete Rose III Sr 6’0” 200lb
OLB (Jet) #30 Alex Devine Sr. 5'11" 190lb
Adj #7 Max Bonner Jr. 6’1” 205lb commitment to Michigan for LAX
FS #2 Nolan Myers Sr. 6'2" 167lb
SS Not Sure
CB #19 Robert Houston Sr. 5'10" 165lb offers from Centre College, Wilmington
CB Macen Hall Jr. 5'10" 165lb
Could Rose be at SS, with Harris at LB? Just thinking about the report of 14 playing DB in the 7-7, Harris being a little undersized for DE (though last year this worked well with Marque Cummings), and Rose being a little light for an ILB

Bonner (#7) was playing safety/adjuster in the 7v7 yesterday so good chance he is being moved from LB to the secondary

LBs: 37-38-45 (Beck, Rose and Hang?)
CBs: 6, 14 and 31 (Houston, Hall and Harris?). #17 did not play but hanging with the CBs
Safeties: 2-7-5 (Myers-Bonner-Devine)

Anybody else attend and have better info on numbers, positions etc.?
17 is hall, 31 is AbuBakr

So corners: #6 Houston, #17 Hall, #31 AbuBakr, who is #14? Cole Harris?
Safeties: #7 Bonner, #2 Myers, who is #5? Folke?
LBs: #37 Beck, #38 Rose, #45 Devine
DL: Hammond, Morris, Jackson and Dijon Harris

Could Rose be at SS, with Harris at LB? Just thinking about the report of 14 playing DB in the 7-7, Harris being a little undersized for DE (though last year this worked well with Marque Cummings), and Rose being a little light for an ILB
Makes sense, but I didn't see Harris on the field so assumed he will be on the line.

These lineup projections are based on the articles by Dyer and Springer, interviews with Specht, player college offers, the 7v7 scrimmages and what we saw last season of returning players.

Once the pads go on things can change but so far for a team that lost a lot things are coming together.

X ReLoads!

Offense (after 7v7's, before scrimmages)
QB #10 Jack O’Malley Jr. 6'1" 190lb / #19 Chase Herbstriet So. 6'1" 180lb
RB #4 Steve Napier Jr. 5’10” 197lb
H-Back #14 Pete Rose III Sr 6’0” 200lb
TE1 #88 Joey Wassler Sr. 6’5” 225lb offers from Kent State, UConn, Harvard, Temple, Fordham, Memphis, Princeton, Navy, App State, Dartmouth, Army, Yale, Michigan, Illinois St, Miami (OH), Ohio, Bryant, Liberty, Youngstown State, Air Force Academy, James Madison, South Dakota
TE2 Seniors: Doran Mason/Will Hendon/Pat Walton/Frank Scheurmann and Junior Luke Klare
LT Tucker Kattus So. 6’5” 260lb offers from Kentucky and Miami OH
LG #60 JJ Dollenmeyer Sr. 6'3" 270lb
C #66 Evan Fleetwood Sr. 6’3” 270lb offers from University Tennessee Martin, Walsh University, Valparaiso
RG #72 Braylon Adams Sr. 6'1" 285lb
RT #69 Rob Fogler Sr. 6’7” 308lb offers from Georgia Tech, Indiana, Miami OH, Bowling Green, Kent State, Middle Tennessee State, Western Michigan, UConn, Bryant University and Central Michigan
If O'Malley gets the nod at QB then in all likelihood Herbstreit doesn't become a starter until his senior year. Will he be content sticking around in Cincy for 3 years waiting for his chance to start or does he move on?

If O'Malley gets the nod at QB then in all likelihood Herbstreit doesn't become a starter until his senior year. Will he be content sticking around in Cincy for 3 years waiting for his chance to start or does he move on?
No, likely to end up at LW as a junior. GBM

I don’t think he is going anywhere. We have learned over the years it takes multiple QBs to get through the season. If Wolf and Clifford coexisted I see no reason O’Malley and Herbstreit can’t co exist. And right now O’Malley has a big advantage. He got a lot of snaps with Varsity last season. Things tend to even out Junior season for these QBs

I don’t think he is going anywhere. We have learned over the years it takes multiple QBs to get through the season. If Wolf and Clifford coexisted I see no reason O’Malley and Herbstreit can’t co exist. And right now O’Malley has a big advantage. He got a lot of snaps with Varsity last season. Things tend to even out Junior season for these QBs
Fair points however the difference between Wolf and Herbstreit is that Wolf (with long family ties to St X) didn't move to Cincy specifically to play football. Herbstreit specifically mentioned the move to St X to allow his son to play in a Coverdale offense. There is a big difference between gaining reps in practice and reps in real games.

I tend to think Specht goes season to season with who starts. Herbstreit is going to be so much better off staying at StX and learning under Coverdale than transferring. I think his old man knows this. I also wouldn’t forget about Ben Solaris - the other Sophomore QB. He is a really good athlete and adds another dynamic with his speed. One thing is for sure, StX is loaded at QB for years to come based on what we are hearing about the freshmen class.

I know O'Malley got reps last year, but they were run out the clock reps, probably 95% handoffs. Not knocking him at all, just putting it in perspective. He will have a better grasp of the offense and most likely better chemistry with those returning.

Could either be moved to an alternate position? O'Malley seems more athletic overall. All that being said, with camps and showcases, being a one year starter is not a death sentence at all. Rueve did just fine.

I stand corrected, Adams is playing DL.
But as Reload said it is still early and I think things are fairly fluid.
You were right the first time - Adams was moved to OL where he is right guard.
OL average: 6'4" 280lb.
4 seniors and a sophomore.
LT #79 Tucker Kattus So. 6’5” 260lb offers from Kentucky and Miami OH
LG #54 JJ Dollenmeyer Sr. 6'3" 270lb
C #66 Evan Fleetwood Sr. 6’3” 270lb offers from University Tennessee Martin, Walsh University, Valparaiso
RG #72 Braylon Adams Sr. 6'1" 285lb
RT #77 Rob Fogler Sr. 6’7” 308lb offers from Georgia Tech, Indiana, Miami OH, Bowling Green, Kent State, Middle Tennessee State, Western Michigan, UConn, Bryant University and Central Michigan

Definitely the strength of the team....all 5 may play at the next level

Specht on junior running back Steven Napier (5'10" 200lb).....

"We're hoping for big things for Steven. He's grown up a lot," Specht said. "We've been a 'pass first' team the past few years and we're hoping to get back to some of the things I like: run the ball, grind clock, play defense and win the battle of field position."

The kicking tandem of seniors Mathias Clark (punter) and place kicker Liam Miller will help win the field position battle.

A run first offense (may run the ball 70 to 75% of the time).
Big change offensively from last year; not explosive but methodical.
Some think Coverdale incapable of producing this type of offense but they will learn otherwise.
Napier, Wassler and Rose to advance the ball the greater majority of the time.

I think Rose (6'0" 200lb) is going to be full time offense.
He'll be like a battering ram clearing the way for Napier (5'10" 200lb) and occasionally carrying the ball himself.
In the 7v7 he caught some passes as well.

Dijon Harris is 15lbs heavier than Cummings was last year.
He doesn't have Marque's motor (who does) but it's pretty good given he played RB his first 2 years at X

So with Rose full time offense and D. Harris playing down the front 6 is looking like
LE #97 Ted Hammond Jr. 6'5” 260lb offers from Vanderbilt, Temple, UMass, UConn and Miami (OH)
NG #99 Antony Morris Sr. 6'2" 273lb offers from Morehead St, Valparaiso, Hanover, Walsh University
RE #44 Dijon Harris Sr. 6'1" 230lb / #53 Isiah Jackson Sr. 6'3" 235lb offers from Otterbein, Hanover
OLB (Will) #37 Justin Kattus Jr. 6’1” 220lb
ILB (Sam) #38 Noah Beck Jr. 6’2” 230lb
OLB (Jet) #8 Alex Devine Sr. 5'11" 190lb

That's pretty good size front to back.
3 of the 4 downlinemen already have college offers, J. Kattus and Beck will start getting offers after this season and Devine who is a national honor society member will likely play at Dayton, a top notch engineering school.

This is going to be a big team...the OLine averages 280lb, the defensive front 6 averages 235lb, the O-Backfield with 2-200lbers and the 4 TE's are between 6'3" and 6'6".

With the older Kattus playing Will and Devine at Jet that has allowed Bonner, last year's leading tackler and a 3 year varsity starter, to move into a secondary that was depleted by graduation.

They will be tested immediately by Lakota West and Loyola Academy.

GO X!

Ballaban Field Turf Project Close to Completion

Bomber Athletics' biggest summer project is nearing completion as The Motz Group continues to make fantastic progress on a new artificial turf field.

With the old turf pulled, last week the pad that lies underneath the turf was replaced for the first time since 2003. This upgraded pad will provide much greater shock absorption as well as keeping the field playing surface consistently level.

The main field has since been laid down with a fresh look turf. With alternating lime green and dark green turf fibers, to pair with white end zones, the field will have a much more vibrant look this fall.

This week the crew is focusing on laying down sidelines and gluing in numbers, letters and hash marks. That will be followed by the final infill process the following week, leading to completion during the last week of July - just in time for Bomber Football and Bomber Soccer to officially open their seasons on August 1st!

4 quality cornerbacks in #6 Houston, #17 Hall, #31 AbuBakr and #14 Cole Harris (not 100% on names/numbers)
Hall is getting reps at free safety since the corner position is well stocked.
So the secondary right now is
3 Seniors: SS Max Bonner, Adj Nolan Myers, CB Robert Houston
3 Juniors: FS Macen Hall, CB Cole Harris and CB Amir AbuBakr
There are a couple of sophomores still in the rotation

Ballaban Field Turf Project Close to Completion

Bomber Athletics' biggest summer project is nearing completion as The Motz Group continues to make fantastic progress on a new artificial turf field.

With the old turf pulled, last week the pad that lies underneath the turf was replaced for the first time since 2003. This upgraded pad will provide much greater shock absorption as well as keeping the field playing surface consistently level.

The main field has since been laid down with a fresh look turf. With alternating lime green and dark green turf fibers, to pair with white end zones, the field will have a much more vibrant look this fall.

This week the crew is focusing on laying down sidelines and gluing in numbers, letters and hash marks. That will be followed by the final infill process the following week, leading to completion during the last week of July - just in time for Bomber Football and Bomber Soccer to officially open their seasons on August 1st!

That is a very nice looking field. Maybe one of the best I have seen. I wish Moeller could finally get off the schneid when it comes to home field availability. Maybe in the not too distant future :) GBM

That is a very nice looking field. Maybe one of the best I have seen. I wish Moeller could finally get off the schneid when it comes to home field availability. Maybe in the not too distant future :) GBM
Hay bdog,..........thought there was talk of Moe acquiring some land out in Loveland for a future home field. ?

P.S. Go Bombers !!!

Hay bdog,..........thought there was talk of Moe acquiring some land out in Loveland for a future home field. ?

P.S. Go Bombers !!!
They have the land already. It was donated about 2 years ago. They have already built a baseball stadium and I believe there is a soccer field coming soon. There is room for football, but my understanding is they would have to reconfigure on and off exits and access roads along with parking. In other words, many infrastructure improvements before they could start construction. Who knows where they are in the planning process. It could be anywhere from a year or so to five or ten. Time will tell. GBM

Anyone know which Saturday is full pad intrasquad scrimmage and how early is start?
Guessing will be on back field while the new turf installation is completed

Anyone know which Saturday is full pad intrasquad scrimmage and how early is start?
Guessing will be on back field while the new turf installation is completed
Next Saturday is Centerville, and its showing following Saturday as Colerain. I thought Colerain was supposed to be the 12th though, concluding the day after freshman and JV play.

Next Saturday is Centerville, and its showing following Saturday as Colerain. I thought Colerain was supposed to be the 12th though, concluding the day after freshman and JV play.
Your right.....it has to be this coming Saturday
7/30 Saturday morning (8am?) Intrasquad scrimmage full pads on StX back field
8/6 Saturday 10am at Centerville
8/12 Friday 7pm vs Colerain at StX on the new turf
then the opener 8/19 at Lakota West

Your right.....it has to be this coming Saturday
7/30 Saturday morning (8am?) Intrasquad scrimmage full pads on StX back field
8/6 Saturday 10am at Centerville
8/12 Friday 7pm vs Colerain at StX on the new turf
then the opener 8/19 at Lakota West
I don't think they have anything until Monday 8/1. They are off Friday, which is probably so they can finish up the field.

If anyone is headed to Centerville on Saturday (10am) let us know what you see....here are some numbers

Defense (left to right)
DLine: 97 Hammond - 98 Morris - 44 Dijon Harris
LBs: 37 Justin Kattus - 38 Beck - 8 Devine - 3 Rose
Safeties: 6 Houston - 2 Myers - 7 Bonner
Corners: 17 Hall - 14 Cole Harris

Offense (left to right)
OLine: 79 Tucker Kattus - 54 Dollenmeyer - 66 Fleetwood - 72 Adams - 77 Fogler
TE: 88 Wassler
RB: 4 Napier - 21 Patrick
FB: 3 Rose - 52 Stegbauer
WR: 82 Sharp - 9 Fitzgerald
QB: 10 O'Malley - 7 Herbstreit

In the past 2 years I can think of 6 players who played QB as freshmen or sophomores and changed positions to start on varsity.
Last season's team Brennan Bareswilt at safety, Ryan Nolan at corner and Max Klare at tight end.
Previous year Liam Clifford at WR, Drew Britt was moved to safety his junior year and Wiles Dolle was moved to corner his junior year.
This season 2 former Bomber QBs have found homes at the wide receiver position.
In yesterday's scrimmage in Centerville #20 junior Drew Weber was the leading receiver with 3 catches for 41 yards and #9 senior Kyle Fitzgerald had 2 catches for 41 yards and 1 TD.
Both former QBs showed ability to make moves and use blocks to gain significant yards after the catch

Any word on how the scrimmage went today
Offense Totals
QB #10 junior Jack O’Malley 6 for 9 for 105 yards and 1 TD
QB #7 sophomore Chase Herbstreit 4 for 5 for 59 yards and 1 INT
RB #4 senior Steven Napier 8 carries for 36 yards and 1 TD
RB #21 junior Gage Patrick 6 carries for 14 yards and 1 TD
WR #20 junior Drew Weber 3 catches for 41 yards
WR #9 senior Kyle Fitzgerald 2 catches for 41 yards and 1 TD

The Bombers sputtered in the red zone.

The only significant rushing plays were Patrick’s 14 yard cutback TD vs Canal Winchester and Napier’s 26 yard gain vs Centerville’s 2nd team defense. Herbstreit did scramble for a couple of big gains.

O’Malley hit all 4 pass attempts for 66 yards in the opening 10 plays vs Centerville’s #1 defense highlighted by a 26 yard strike to #82 senior WR Jamaal Sharp on a crossing pattern (his only catch)

In the previous post I mentioned the emergence of former QBs Weber and Fitzgerald at the WR position

#88 senior TE Joey Wassler was targeted only once hauling in a 25 yard sideline grab from O’Malley.

Any word on how the scrimmage went today
Defense

The only tackles recorded by the down linemen were made by DE #97 junior Ted Hammond who had 3 tackles for no gain.

The coaches are still tinkering with the LB corps with group 1 having #3 senior Pete Rose in the middle flanked by #38 junior Noah Beck and #37 junior Justin Kattus and in group 2 they will move Beck to the middle flanked by Kattus and #8 senior Alex Devine.
All 4 LBs played well, especially Rose and Devine, making multiple tackles. Rose is also starting FB on offense.

The safeties (#7 senior Max Bonner, #6 Robert Houston and #2 Nolan Myers) were very active recording the most tackles
The junior corners (#17 Macen Hall and #14 Cole Harris) did fairly well in their first varsity action.
Harris was tested the most by far as I can't recall the ball ever being thrown in Hall's direction

Anybody looked into trying to get tickets for the Lakota West game yet?
On a similar note, anybody aware of TV and/or streaming options for that game?