St. X. Basketball thread '23-'24

Guys, The X web-site has the varsity and JV rosters posted; freshman not yet.

Clapper and Britt - JV
Reilly, Sulfsted, Klare, Weber - Varsity

I've always been a fan of HS athletes playing multiple sports but realize there are pros/cons to it.

Let's hope the new coach has lots of success in the GCL-South and beyond.

Good to see Weber making his way back for his Senior year!
I've always been a fan of HS athletes playing multiple sports but realize there are pros/cons to it.
There are some solid numbers that play Baseball & Lacrosse in the Spring.
Flemming certainly has the pedigree for success!

Specht encourages kids to play other sports

Hopefully Klare's football injury does not affect his senior basketball season

I see 3 other TEs on the varsity and JV basketball rosters
Jake Wassler Jr. 6'11" 225lb played football frosh and sophomore years but did not play this year
John Veith So. 6'6" 220lb played football frosh year but did not play this year. Would love to see him come back as a junior
Josh Wassler So. 6'5" 190lb played frosh and sophomore year......will he play football next year as junior?

Nwanko (6'3" 210lb) played football frosh year but not the last 2 years
Sophomores Bareswilt and McDonald play football as well.

Curious if the sophomore baseball/basketball player Jack Ryan (6'3" 185lb) played football before StX?
With his arm I wonder what kind of QB he could be?

Ive heard that new Bball HC's presentation @ St X 1st Friday gig was impressive. Of note, Scott Martin will be back on the St X bench as a Varsity Assistant coach.

Guys, The X web-site has the varsity and JV rosters posted; freshman not yet.

Clapper and Britt - JV
Reilly, Sulfsted, Klare, Weber - Varsity

Freshman roster out, has 2 football players (Von Holle and Johnston)
JV: Clapper, Britt, McDonald, Bareswilt
Varsity: Klare, Sulfsted, Weber, Reilly
10 football players in basketball program

Great effort, being disciplined and smart basketball Players and of course Defense! Obviously he wants them to be good Students and People as well. X playing Badin this yr?
Dec 2 (Sat) 4:30 PM Neutral Lakota East High School Mason High School | Mason, OH
Dec 5 (Tue) 7:30 PM Away Mason High School Mason High School | Mason, OH
Dec 9 (Sat) 5:15 PM Neutral Cooper High School (KY) Newport High School | Newport, KY
Dec 12 (Tue) 7:30 PM Away Covington Catholic High School Covington Catholic High School | Park Hills, KY
Dec 16 (Sat) 4:00 PM Home Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy St. Xavier High School (Berning Gym)
Dec 22 (Fri) 7:30 PM Away Fairfield High School Fairfield High School | Fairfield, OH
Dec 30 (Sat) 6:00 PM Neutral Cleveland Lutheran East High School Harvest Prep High School | Canal Winchester, OH
Jan 2 (Tue) 7:30 PM Away Badin High School Badin High School | Hamilton, OH
Jan 6 (Sat) 7:30 PM Away Indian Hill High School Indian Hill High School | Cincinnati, OH
Jan 9 (Tue) 8:00 PM Home Springfield High School (Springfield, OH) St. Xavier High School (Berning Gym)
Jan 12 (Fri) 7:30 PM Away La Salle High School (OH) La Salle High School | Cincinnati, OH
Jan 15 (Mon) 1:15 PM Neutral Pickerington North High School Trent Arena | Kettering, OH
Jan 19 (Fri) 7:30 PM Home Archbishop Moeller High School St. Xavier High School (Berning Gym)
Jan 20 (Sat) 5:00 PM Home Lakota West High School St. Xavier High School (Berning Gym)
Jan 26 (Fri) 7:30 PM Away Elder High School Elder High School | Cincinnati, OH
Jan 27 (Sat) 5:00 PM Home Cincinnati College Preparatory Academy St. Xavier High School (Berning Gym)
Jan 30 (Tue) 7:30 PM Away Beavercreek High School Beavercreek High School | Beavercreek, OH
Feb 2 (Fri) 7:30 PM Home La Salle High School (OH) St. Xavier High School (Berning Gym)
Feb 3 (Sat) 5:00 PM Home Wyoming High School St. Xavier High School (Berning Gym)
Feb 9 (Fri) 7:30 PM Away Archbishop Moeller High School Moeller High School | Cincinnati, OH
Feb 10 (Sat) 5:00 PM Home Sycamore High School St. Xavier High School (Berning Gym)
Feb 16 (Fri) 7:30 PM Home Elder High School St. Xavier High School (Berning Gym)

I heard he is going to emphasize Daddy ball and doing things the right way. ;):)
I can take a joke.

In all seriousness, I think some of the returning football guys can really help round out the Bombers this year with their returning talent as well as their talent coming up from the frosh and JV levels.

It's interesting to hear of Scott Martin returning as he led the Bombers to a state title in the early 2000s. Even when he hasn't been coaching bball at X, was he still a math teacher on staff?

If y'all don't mind a GMC guy butting in and talking hoops here......I see the roster has a ton of size and I think Waleskowski is awesome. Are there any other guards to go with him? I'm looking at that roster, and the clear 5 best players, to me, are the following:

6-5 Donovan Waleskowski
6-5 Charlie Fish
6-5 Gordy Sulfsted
6-6 Luke Klare
6-11 Jacob Wassler

Waleskowski isn't a point guard and shouldn't be playing there anyway. Will someone like Reilly start at PG so that Waleskowski can play off-guard running off screens? Does St. X have a guard that can handle pressure? Can they guard other teams' guards or are they going to have to resort to zone? Will their size actually dominate the boards this year? A lot of talent on this team in my mind, especially in the front court, but still a lot of question marks for this team.

If y'all don't mind a GMC guy butting in and talking hoops here......I see the roster has a ton of size and I think Waleskowski is awesome. Are there any other guards to go with him? I'm looking at that roster, and the clear 5 best players, to me, are the following:

6-5 Donovan Waleskowski
6-5 Charlie Fish
6-5 Gordy Sulfsted
6-6 Luke Klare
6-11 Jacob Wassler

Waleskowski isn't a point guard and shouldn't be playing there anyway. Will someone like Reilly start at PG so that Waleskowski can play off-guard running off screens? Does St. X have a guard that can handle pressure? Can they guard other teams' guards or are they going to have to resort to zone? Will their size actually dominate the boards this year? A lot of talent on this team in my mind, especially in the front court, but still a lot of question marks for this team.
I would think Weber is a more than capable point guard at the high school level. Not sure if he starts, but would seem to be part of the rotation. He's always been able to handle the ball and pressure.

I like X's roster, I think they will push for the GCL crown with Moe and LaSalle. Getting back some of the former players will pay dividends with depth.

Anyone have info re: St X's possible starting line up for this Saturday's season opener versus Lakota East @ Mason?

ReLoad, do you think there is any chance Specht would pursue Veith at TE and Ryan at QB for their junior seasons?
There is precedent and it's a pretty cool story.

In the fall of 2004 there was an incoming freshman named Greg Scruggs .
He was a basketball player and played drums in the marching band.

Specht talked to this 6'5" man-child for 3 years trying to encourage him to play football.
He had never played football before and wanted to just play basketball and bang the drums at halftime.

Specht said he had given up on Scruggs and then sometime in the spring of his junior year Scruggs showed up in Specht's office saying he wanted to give football a try his senior year.
Specht laughed and told him to get out of his office thinking he was pulling his leg given the countless number of times he had told him no.
Turned out Scruggs was serious....he hadn't progressed in basketball enough to get college looks and I guess he had his fill of beating the drums at halftime.

He joined the off season weightlifting program, studied film and at 6'5" 230lb was a starting defensive end on the 2007 state title team

He earned a full ride football scholarship to Louisville where he played 4 years and then played 4 years in the NFL with the Seahawks, Bears and Patriots. A knee injury ended his career but he went into coaching and is currently DLine coach at University of Wisconsin.

In 2012 Scruggs nominated Specht for the Don Shula NFL coach of the year award for which he won and was presented the trophy in New Orleans during Super Bowl week.

Left to right: Coach Don Shula, Greg Scruggs, Specht, Troy Vincent

imagegen-35.jpg

So if Veith or Ryan or Wassler do not progress in basketball or baseball as they had hoped maybe they will turn to Specht and some point and give football a try where Specht has helped hundreds of players earn a college scholarship

I look forward to seeing what the JV bombers can do this year. Last year as freshman, they beat the “evil empire” by 27 on the Bombers home court. This has me very excited for this season. Point guard Greg Richardson i heard has been in the weight room all offseason gaining about 10 pounds of muscle. I expect him to be the Jv bombers Gel player and for William shwartz to rally behind him. I’m excited to see what they can do this year.
Weren't they beating Elder something like 38-3 last year in a game? How embarrassing. They have gone soft for sure.

You can't convince me Elder isn't more concerned with certain names running the show vs. actually wanting a good team. Their feeder grade school basketball program is to blame. It's nothing but daddy politics.

I look forward to seeing what the JV bombers can do this year. Last year as freshman, they beat the “evil empire” by 27 on the Bombers home court. This has me very excited for this season. Point guard Greg Richardson i heard has been in the weight room all offseason gaining about 10 pounds of muscle. I expect him to be the Jv bombers Gel player and for William shwartz to rally behind him. I’m excited to see what they can do this year.
Lmao getting totally pumped for JV Bomber Basketball!! Who Coaching the Bombers magnificent JV Basketball Team this yr? You know Omar the Dbag from Elder? He will tell you all things Elder. If you get Elder info from anyone but him it’s probably not accurate or the Real Story🙄

Been there done that helix, ventured over the the Elder threads and already got banned. No grit on the westside anymore.
They have a short leash because they know they have gotten soft, but can't admit it.

They won't entertain the obvious decline that everyone saw coming. It's going to get ugly on the sports landscape for the purple guys.

Lmao getting totally pumped for JV Bomber Basketball!! Who Coaching the Bombers magnificent JV Basketball Team this yr? You know Omar the Dbag from Elder? He will tell you all things Elder. If you get Elder info from anyone but him it’s probably not accurate or the Real Story🙄
Even Omar the DBag knows Elder isn't going to be good in anything for the new few years.

Seriously. Omar sounds ridiculous. We all know elder is not going to be able to compete with X in the coming years with the underclasses x has. Just too much talent at X right now coming up.
If he ever invites you to Watch JV Bomber Basketball Film with him in his moms basement, look out😂😂😂😂

Yeah Elder message boards will not be a pretty place to be this season. Completely unreasonable expectations from the Elder fanbase.
The Elder Mods will make sure that the post not in agreement with Omar will be deleted but his stupid arse post will remain. That’s how they roll in the Elder Forum. Strange that they talk like conservatives but act like democrats in the Elder Forum🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah, definitely think the Elder fanbase is trying to cover something up. Story could gain some traction.
I don’t think Omar the Dbag is a criminal just say I think he very very strange,especially about Elder. Fan base not covering anything up they just “protecting” their own kid,grandkid,nephew playing time in whatever sport. Omar gets mad because they can’t recruit good athletes because of this type of bs that goes on behind the scenes. Elder simply doesn’t recruit because it means they would break from tradition and the Dad Alums would blow a gasket and make their life he!!

I don’t think Omar the Dbag is a criminal just say I think he very very strange,especially about Elder. Fan base not covering anything up they just “protecting” their own kid,grandkid,nephew playing time in whatever sport. Omar gets mad because they can’t recruit good athletes because of this type of bs that goes on behind the scenes. Elder simply doesn’t recruit because it means they would break from tradition and the Dad Alums would blow a gasket and make their life he!!
💯

They say they are Elder fans, but they're not. They're fans of legacy entitlement. They don't care about getting better, they care about their kid and his buddies playing together so they all can have a great time. Winning is secondary now at Elder. Never thought that would be true. They've 100% gone soft.

100% agree. Won’t even be able to be in the same gym/field as X in the coming years. They are not prepared for the Bombers to wipe the floor with them!!
Their basketball program is controlled by boosters. Certain people run the show. They are too deeply involved and its hurting the program.

But they're all buddies, and all of the family members get doors held open for them, so no one cares. I think they think they're helping, but all it's really done is completely politicize the grade school feeder program, to the point that I'm not sure the best kids even want to play at Elder anymore, outside of the kids that are part of the connected crew.

But no one does anything about it, so it is what it is. They're losing, and will continue to lose, basketball talent because of it. They used to focus on the best kids, now it's just too many daddy's involved. The Elder staff needs to step in.

Fleming will do his best to steal those kids, watch and see, and they will have no one to blame but themselves. But they won't look inward, they will call you cheaters.

Last edited: