Sports Cards

Sold a couple Kyler Murray RC's. I was a little concerned when I bought them but they both sold in 24 hours:

View attachment 41110View attachment 41111

Bought both for $.85 each and sold both for $2.32 each. That is a good day for me on there.
Sold another one today for the same terms:
1683059278185.png

I've seen two types of box breaks.

1. You select a team and pay for it with the price based on the potential value of the players.
2. You purchase a pack from a box and when that pack is opened, those are all your cards.

Any other type of box breaks? Has anyone participated? How do you get your cards?

I've seen two types of box breaks.

1. You select a team and pay for it with the price based on the potential value of the players.
2. You purchase a pack from a box and when that pack is opened, those are all your cards.

Any other type of box breaks? Has anyone participated? How do you get your cards?
My first break was hosted by a buddy of mine - so getting the cards was easy.

The other breaks I've done have all been through the app Whatnot. When you buy into the break, it charges your card and provides a shipping address to the seller. You are usually charged $4 in shipping for your first item on that app....plus $.50 for every purchase after the first. This is a really great app for buying single cards through live auctions.

Yea the late 80’s and early 90’s were not the best time to get interested. I have 1991 Fleer set and Topps ‘88 and ‘89 none of those complete sets are worth much.
I was a kid in the late 80s, early 90s so unfortunately that's when I collected lol

Bought 4 graded cards today. A Tom Brady (PSA 8), Michael Jordan (PSA 6), Tiger Woods (PSA 8), and Derek Jeter (PSA 8). They weren't high grades but I'm hoping they will flip quickly.

Bought 4 graded cards today. A Tom Brady (PSA 8), Michael Jordan (PSA 6), Tiger Woods (PSA 8), and Derek Jeter (PSA 8). They weren't high grades but I'm hoping they will flip quickly.
Found a cool app called Ludex. Scan your card then it will give you a price for what its worth based on recent sales from ebay. Its pretty detailed.

So my son moves to Defiance and we are sitting in Kissner's talking to a couple guys having beers, some hot holiday drink and a pork brain sandwich...when in Rome...
They tell me the guy they were just talking to briefly ( the owner) has a interesting story. Just type in "baseball card collection found" and it will be the first result.
Several of those cards went for way more than anticipated in the article.

Yappi how much for this one?!?! Sorry I couldn’t pass this up LOL
View attachment 41817
That would be a great card if they made it. Maybe one of the card companies will see how popular that would be and include it in their next set. Interestingly, there are a couple of cards out there that have some value because of the famous people in the background. Can you tell who is in the background of these cards:

1684518470501.png

1684518553769.png

A coworker of mine showed me the Mark Jackson card last year. That’s the Menendez Brothers in the background on the left.

Looks like Paula Abdul in the left of the Greg Grant card.

Kobe cards went nuts. Kinda sad
I guess it is a near mint PSA, but still its not a '52 Topps Rookie Mantle, 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth, or T206 Ty Cobb. Brown certaintly was a great, great player, who walked away for better or worse. But, I don't see why someone would buy a sports card for the same price you could buy a car unless money is no object and you just want it.

I guess it is a near mint PSA, but still its not a '52 Topps Rookie Mantle, 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth, or T206 Ty Cobb. Brown certaintly was a great, great player, who walked away for better or worse. But, I don't see why someone would buy a sports card for the same price you could buy a car unless money is no object and you just want it.
Cards are a form of currency.

Cards are a form of currency.
True. I just cant fathom that much currency for a piece of cardboard paper. But I suppose there's no difference in investing in something as long as its worthwhile. Its almost like investing in an art piece. If having a couple expensive cards helps your portfolio it seems like a good idea. But, just like any investment, you have to spend money to make money. To me, cards are just too much of a risk to take a chance on spending that much money. Right now the market for cards is in pretty high demand, but it ebbs and flows so much that you could be stuck with a losing hand. I'd rather just collect 'em, flip some to get better ones, flip the better ones for one or two good ones, flip those when the time is right for another couple.

For example, maybe start out with a couple 9-10 PSA grade rookies like Shohei Ohtani, Wander Franco, Aaron Judge or Mike Trout.

Wait until the market for these cards is in higher demand. I expect Shohei's will right around the trade deadline if the Angels are looking to move him.

Right around MLB postseason-NFL pre- season flip my MLB cards for NFL cards. Collect popular NFL players, not necessarily rookies, so your Mahomes, Burrows, some vintage. Keep flipping those throughout the season.

Basketball cards are also pretty hot, so collecting those in the off season might also be a good long run investment to get the card I want.

Eventually flipping the cards might be my best option to obtain a card I really want. Kind of like flipping cars. But for me, the collecting is one of the more fun parts.

True. I just cant fathom that much currency for a piece of cardboard paper. But I suppose there's no difference in investing in something as long as its worthwhile. Its almost like investing in an art piece. If having a couple expensive cards helps your portfolio it seems like a good idea. But, just like any investment, you have to spend money to make money. To me, cards are just too much of a risk to take a chance on spending that much money. Right now the market for cards is in pretty high demand, but it ebbs and flows so much that you could be stuck with a losing hand. I'd rather just collect 'em, flip some to get better ones, flip the better ones for one or two good ones, flip those when the time is right for another couple.

For example, maybe start out with a couple 9-10 PSA grade rookies like Shohei Ohtani, Wander Franco, Aaron Judge or Mike Trout.

Wait until the market for these cards is in higher demand. I expect Shohei's will right around the trade deadline if the Angels are looking to move him.

Right around MLB postseason-NFL pre- season flip my MLB cards for NFL cards. Collect popular NFL players, not necessarily rookies, so your Mahomes, Burrows, some vintage. Keep flipping those throughout the season.

Basketball cards are also pretty hot, so collecting those in the off season might also be a good long run investment to get the card I want.

Eventually flipping the cards might be my best option to obtain a card I really want. Kind of like flipping cars. But for me, the collecting is one of the more fun parts.
Buy low and sell high. Fanatics will own the rights to MLB,NFL and NBA shortly. Going to be interesting.

Reactions: LCL
Somebody's really hoping to profit off of Jim Brown's passing...
I remember when Steve Olin and Tim Crews passed away in the 1990s in a boating accident there was a race to get their cards. Seems every death brings that person to the card-collecting consciousness for a short period of time.

Does anybody have a Joe Shlabotnik baseball card for sale? There's a round headed kid that will pay big money.

I have a 1971 Topps Thurman Munson and a 1971 Hank Aaron card.

Both in good shape, have been in hard plastic cases since the early 80s when my dad and I collected them. Never been certified by any PSA level or any other card grader.

1. Is it worth paying to have them PSA rated? I have a ton of cards from the 80s and 90s from when my dad and I were collecting but these are the 2 best by far (have whole Topps Stadium club first year set as well).

2. What price range would I really be looking at here (I know it depends on the grade, but ballpark)? I find such a huge range on sites like EBAY, etc.

Searching on this page, https://130point.com/sales/

It looks like the Munson usually goes for $10 to $20 but can go as low as $5 and up to $100 on extreme conditions.

The Aaron card seems to be a little more valuable but in a similar range.

As far as grading, I think if it is in decent shape, it could be good for you to get them graded. It can really skyrocket the price.

I have a 1971 Topps Thurman Munson and a 1971 Hank Aaron card.

Both in good shape, have been in hard plastic cases since the early 80s when my dad and I collected them. Never been certified by any PSA level or any other card grader.

1. Is it worth paying to have them PSA rated? I have a ton of cards from the 80s and 90s from when my dad and I were collecting but these are the 2 best by far (have whole Topps Stadium club first year set as well).

2. What price range would I really be looking at here (I know it depends on the grade, but ballpark)? I find such a huge range on sites like EBAY, etc.

If you are interested in going about getting your cards graded this is a good video. It seems pretty tedious to do this in hopes of reselling it for profit considering the cost of packing materials as well as the cost for the grading process. But if its just for your personal collection, then why not. The biggest problem right now is the turn around time. Lots of people are sending their cards in to get graded and PSA is having a hard time getting them turned around. So if you are getting a card graded based on the current price the card is selling for, but don't get it back for over 2 months and the price drops its a profit loss.

The site that I flip cards on (COMC) has been real slow lately. They usually have a sitewide sale in the Spring and I'm wondering if there are a number of people who were waiting on that sale that never materialized.

Either way, it is still fun to play the sports card market. Maybe one of these days I can be a bigger seller on the site but most of the cards I buy on there are in the $.10 range and sell for up to $.75.

Still not much to update on here. The site (COMC) has been very slow. Hoping it will pick up soon.

My son opened his first hobby box a couple weeks ago. Went with Phoenix H2. Was cool to get a bunch of numbered cards (best he got was /25) not no autos or patches in that box which was a major disappointment. $185 for the box.

Who is the breakout QB for this upcoming year? Wouldn't mind loading up on some cheap cards before they become too big of a star.

This should be someone that is not near the top of the QB rankings the last couple of years. Rookie QBs can be included.

Is Stetson Bennett a crazy choice with a Rams team that should be improved?

Who is the breakout QB for this upcoming year? Wouldn't mind loading up on some cheap cards before they become too big of a star.

This should be someone that is not near the top of the QB rankings the last couple of years. Rookie QBs can be included.

Is Stetson Bennett a crazy choice with a Rams team that should be improved?
I would say Brock Purdy is the only QB worth invesing in from last year's class, his cards are stupid expensive for a guy that may be a one hit wonder. Maybe Desmond Ritter, hes the default starter for the Falcons, as well as Kenny Pickett for the Steelers.