Spartan Football 2014

So many negative things I could say but that isn't going to do any good. Its in the coaches hands. Now that the class of 2014 is gone, all the negative influences should be gone but a couple. A big change has to happen to this program, no more giving passes....lay the law down win or lose. Its up to the kid whether or not he can change for the better.

Springfield coaches are a lot better than ellet coaches...

They had 18-19 seniors with good experience right? Some were pretty talented too.

Why was this team only 3-7? Where does the fault go? If this program was up and down I'd say its on the players. But this program is always down.

Ellet has won more games in the last 2 years than Springfield has in the last 7 or 8. I think Ellet's coaches are better by any reasonable standard. (except maybe the shorts)

Last edited:
Springfield had no speed outside or in the backfield. The receivers/OLBs corners I believe only ran a 5.2-5.4 Its pretty bad for a coach when a D lineman is the fastest guy on the team..... Defense was strong till the injuries and suspensions came at the Norton game. I don't see speed in Springfield's future anytime soon. Just cuz the seasons over it doesn't mean to take a day off.....that's something these boys need to understand. My boys hated doing off season stuff most the time but it payed off. Parents need to get more involved in off season camps. 1-2 days a week is more than enough.

I agree with Polster...

You should have seen Ellet guys at the thanks4giving game... Springfield coaches would tell them things (schemes, routes, gaps) and thy had no idea what they were talking about. Ellet has superior talent than Springfield that is why they are better than them. Ellet's coaches teach little but do teach them it the right way.

It's sad when we continue to except 3-7 and 2-8 seasons. You can blame players all you want but after 6-7 plus years of the same thing you can't put it on the kids any more. It's time for a change. No other coach survives this many years going 2-8 and 3-7 every year. Coaches can know everything there is about coaching and scheming and assignments and ect... but if he can't teach the kids and get his knowledge across to the kids then really how good a coach is he. Everyone talked about this team how good they was. In preseason. How talented they was. How they should win the league and have the greatest year to date in this coaches tenure. But yet we only beat 3 teams that was just as bad as we ever have been. This years team was dead last in points scored and total points scored against what everyone said was a bunch of down teams this year and beatable teams when SHS was considered top starting the season

Springfield had no speed outside or in the backfield. The receivers/OLBs corners I believe only ran a 5.2-5.4 Its pretty bad for a coach when a D lineman is the fastest guy on the team..... Defense was strong till the injuries and suspensions came at the Norton game. I don't see speed in Springfield's future anytime soon. Just cuz the seasons over it doesn't mean to take a day off.....that's something these boys need to understand. My boys hated doing off season stuff most the time but it payed off. Parents need to get more involved in off season camps. 1-2 days a week is more than enough.

Good post.

I freely admit I think they have a very weak staff there. If the DL was the fastest player, shouldn't he have been playing offense too?

It's sad when we continue to except 3-7 and 2-8 seasons. You can blame players all you want but after 6-7 plus years of the same thing you can't put it on the kids any more. It's time for a change. No other coach survives this many years going 2-8 and 3-7 every year. Coaches can know everything there is about coaching and scheming and assignments and ect... but if he can't teach the kids and get his knowledge across to the kids then really how good a coach is he. Everyone talked about this team how good they was. In preseason. How talented they was. How they should win the league and have the greatest year to date in this coaches tenure. But yet we only beat 3 teams that was just as bad as we ever have been. This years team was dead last in points scored and total points scored against what everyone said was a bunch of down teams this year and beatable teams when SHS was considered top starting the season

Brutally honest. But I think very accurate.

Who would ever think Springfield was good enough to compete this past year? And why? They were horrid and had zero talent

How can a coach execute with players who just didnt give a fubar? Most of the players with heart didnt play. My expectations were high as hell. If you were at the games , you would of seen the constant fumbles , interceptions dropped balls. These kids have a very good coach and let him down with bad play. If you can point out a game plan for any game that he missed on I will agree. I dont see it happening.

First- they changed from a run first to a pass first offense in middle of season. 6 years- still terrible at jr. High- still no freshman team. Still no discipline- still hasn't gotten rid of the cancers like you said and they are the ones that play most even after they get in trouble. still hasn't gotten kids to buy in- (even their players admit they openly challenge coaches and there's no discipline)- they had horrible 2nd half adjustments. Outcoached in Barberton, Field, Crestwood games. Look at improvement in Credtwood and Norton in 2 years. Terrible offense for the last 3 years. In a terribly weak league they have made zero improvements in last 3 years. All these things are related to being Head Coach. He's also Dean of students and AD. With all that power he's done zero improvement in all this areas. Why is this ok for Springfield?? Why does this staff blame the kids why does community except this. Running a. 1960s midline option offense for so long and being dead last in points scored the last 3 years in a row. Don't disagree that it's not on the players as well, but this starts and ends with Head coach. He's a politician first, administrator second. Kids don't believe in him. what HAS he done that any other coach couldn't do?? His assistant coaches are his buddies and pals and not football guys. AND Before all this he was on Mazurs disastrous 3-27 staff as DC. What HAS he done? Call a spade a spade. He's been given all this time with no improvement. No turn around. This wasn't his his first or second year. He had these kids in his system for his 6 years. He is just as responsible for discipline problems and kids not caring it's his system we have all seen how much a coach has an effect on how kids act on and off the field. Bottom line it all comes back to head coach and him being held accountable as well as assistant coaches. How many years does he get to have a freshman class thru his system and improve the program.

I did see the 63-6 beat down against Ellet.

Springfield was the worst coached/prepared football team I'd ever seen (after an entire offseason of preparation too)

6 years in is a long time for a HC. And their schedule isn't exactly a meat grinder. Hope things turn around for the red and gray.

Bottom line Springfield kids are slow and Coventry-ish. They don't commit and think they are tough guys. You can't win there even in a terrible league because of the community and kids

Springfield coaching by far was not the problem. I could pic apart the kids play one by one. The total absence of a 2013 class destroyed the last 4 years. That class missing empowered the 2014 class by allowing them to be starting when they were sophomores when 3/4s of them shouldnt of been on the field.. 2014 class was handed the keys pretty much their whole high school football careers. I know my son even should of been booted a few times. I dont know where you get the staff blaming the kids?

Norton... best O-line in league.... 4 pics 2 fumbles multiple suspensions and injuries
Crestwood.... in game till 4 pics 1 fumble... receivers couldn't get off the line "weak" being jammed at the line
Barberton.....penalties..fumble return for TD. dropped balls..QB had the ball hiked over his head a dozen times killing timing. And a couple completely over his head for big time losses. D-nose was getting handled.
FieldBlocked punt before half then score. Defensive backs got sucked in and burnt for a 86 yarder. Dropped balls..field got that 95 yrd td....then came more dropped balls fumbles you name it.

We have no speed... you cant teach a kid speed unless he runs track or does something on his own in which these kids didn't have the balls to do.

All the teams you have mention have speed. We got beat by speed and non execution. You can have players but without execution you have nothing.

And everything you are saying besides speed is teachable and coached. In high school and especially Springfield as a coach ur not gunna always have the best of athletes or talent or situations. All teams can overcome turnovers. It's part of the game but if kids are not prepared and tought discipline you give them no chance. I'm not saying the kids are not at fault for anything like detication and working hard and being committed but fault has to fall back on the coach period for the result on the field. We're not talking just this past season. But for way to long the same outcome every year. Some times the coach just doesn't work out but could work elsewhere where fresh start is needed for everyone after 6 years of the same outcome. Bottom line record of 16-44 just doesn't cut it. 17-43 if u count the Ellet forfeit but it was a loss no matter

If this was year 1 or even up to year 3 or 4 it would be tolerable for it takes time to build a program and coach ur system and get kids through ur system but year 6 it's just shows the same outcome and it's time for a change. I like the coach but when it's time it's time

If this was year 1 or even up to year 3 or 4 it would be tolerable for it takes time to build a program and coach ur system and get kids through ur system but year 6 it's just shows the same outcome and it's time for a change. I like the coach but when it's time it's time
I have been at every game and every practice in the last 6 years. His second year he had a team. He had it all and you seen what happened.... we went 6-4 with a couple of losses that should of been wins. It seems your hell bent on believing its coaching so it really doesnt matter how many facts are in front of you.

For one... He isnt going anywhere. You can believe that. You are clueless on how lucky we are to have this dude as coach. You have no freekin idea what he does for these kids behind closed doors while parents like you are up in the stands talking crap. I was one of them till I went back and watched film. You get the season on film and go back and watch, you will be eating your words.

what has Vaughn done that any other coach couldn't do? And - who's responsible for building a program? Who's responsible for the lack of discipline and kids buying in? Just so u know I was at every game this past year and 90% of games all previous years and a lot of practice and have been watching film and breaking it down. I am a SHS alumni born and raised played for 12 years for SHS and coached for 12 years high school and I have a kid on the team and personally know many more so I know more than you think. And I said the kids are at fault for some but not all and the 6-4 season was a completely different assistant coaching staff that several wasn't back the next year. Head coach is only as good as the guys he puts around him. I'm just hell bent on pointing out the truth and bottom line. Been 6 years and what has he don't that another coach couldn't do and head coach is ultimately responsible in high school and just like in college to pro. No other coach in SHS has went that record and lasted this many years. Some this bad and only lasted 1-2 years but it's just Time to change the culture. Change the attitude of this school and community. Time for a change.

And you giving ur opinion not facts. And you said head coach should have booted ur kid but didn't. Whatever the reason may have been u don't think other kids don't see that. That hurts a program and discipline of a program. And head coach even said the problems they was having between the players and coaches at the awards night. Talked about the trouble it caused

And you giving ur opinion not facts. And you said head coach should have booted ur kid but didn't. Whatever the reason may have been u don't think other kids don't see that. That hurts a program and discipline of a program. And head coach even said the problems they was having between the players and coaches at the awards night. Talked about the trouble it caused
My kid had a problem with CHICKS. Not a problem with coaches.

I agree with SHSalumni, if they had not switched mid year you would of seen more wins. I think #12 threw 17 pics and 5-6 fumbles. #1 had 2? They used the senior class as a tryout session for #12. To bad he wont have any receivers for next year.

For one... He isnt going anywhere. You can believe that. You are clueless on how lucky we are to have this dude as coach. You have no freekin idea what he does for these kids behind closed doors while parents like you are up in the stands talking crap. I was one of them till I went back and watched film. You get the season on film and go back and watch, you will be eating your words.

Spot on KV is a good dude and a great coach

Spot on KV is a good dude and a great coach

Why is he great? Usually a coach has to win something or really do something amazing to be called great.

Is it true he's been there for six years, has no freshman team, and has program (discipline) issues?

There seems to be some disagreement on here about what their problems are, but I am not hearing a lot of great things about the Spartan program.

From the outside a 14-46 record is BAD, not great.

Why is he great? Usually a coach has to win something or really do something amazing to be called great.

Is it true he's been there for six years, has no freshman team, and has program (discipline) issues?

There seems to be some disagreement on here about what their problems are, but I am not hearing a lot of great things about the Spartan program.

From the outside a 14-46 record is BAD, not great.
You had 3 kinds of athletes on the team, 2-3 very good, 10-12 talked like they were good and the just not good period. From the stands all the kids should be starters. I just would shake my head and chuckle. In Coventry's stands there was a difference, the parents didn't talk smack about other kids. Being from the lakes we have more backing from parents. Springfield's crowd is like a funeral of cry babies and whiners.

You had 3 kinds of athletes on the team, 2-3 very good, 10-12 talked like they were good and the just not good period. From the stands all the kids should be starters. I just would shake my head and chuckle. In Coventry's stands there was a difference, the parents didn't talk smack about other kids. Being from the lakes we have more backing from parents. Springfield's crowd is like a funeral of cry babies and whiners.

So we ready to talk about the great program and another 1-3 wins for 2014 or is it too soon? :rolleyes: