Solon Football - 2010

Not much chatter about Solon sports so far in 2010. I'm anxious for the football season to start. Let's talk Comet football!

Looks like the strength of the squad will be the O-line and at linebacker. The O-line in 2009 made me forget the previous 3 years of iffy line play. I expect the 2010 line to be just as good, if not better. They should open plenty of holes for Kyle Hammond. I don't know who will be at fullback.

I'm excited about our linebackers. With AJ Hicks, Nick Davidson, and Jovon Johnson returning, the unit should be lights out. Anybody else coming up from JVs who can be used in the 4 linebacker sets?

The defensive backfield will be almost brand new with Chris Humphries the only veteran. WIll he stay there or will he get the nod at quarterback? Who are the candidates for D-backs?

D-line: Well Nate Hoff is back. This year he'll have to carry the load as the 'big guy' on the d-line. We'll miss Baldwin. Who are other candidates for teh D-line?

Who are the serious QB candidates? I didn't see much of the JVs last year. I liked Humphries as a 'wildcat' QB but can he carry the full load?

We have Barksdale at WR but I'm not sure who are the other WR candidates. What about TE candidates?

Kevin Hicks made us forget our kicking game problems but he's gone. Who will it be in 2010? Punting candidates?

Let's hear everybody!

Demo, many of us are just as excited about next year, in fact the next few years. Although Solon will have competitive Baseball and Lacross teams this year, more so then our teams from last year in my opinion, many parents are excited about the upcoming f-ball year.
Along with the player questions you mentioned above, it looks as though our coaching question who will replace or compliment Coach Schrillo as the OL/DL coach, with the retirement of Coach Hiendrich? Is it our DE/TE coach? Also rumors say Coach McDaniel’s may be back, which is a win for both players and coaches. He truley adds to the team and compliments our head coach.
Many sophomores (class 2012) are raring to go and have been ready for a while, Circelli (RB), Stankiewics (QB/DB), Schwenke(LB/DB), Sutyak (DE/LB), Palumbo (DE/C/LB), Stock (OL/DL), Penn (FB/LB), Davidson (LB.FB), Etheridge (FB/DL), Kramer (QB), Kresevic (DB/RB), Restifo WR.DB, Barksdale (WR!), Stuart (WR/DB), Vogel (LB), Hoff (OL/DL), Hill(OL/DL)... Many more who are more then ready for the challenge to compliment the future senior class returning.
Our Juniors (class 2011) are not just raring they have experience, Camiener (OL/DL), Corrigan (OL/DL), Chirs Dowdy, Christian Jackson (RB) will give, in my opinion a run for starter against Kyle Hammonds He's bigger and did very well filling in for Kyle last year. And of course AJ Hicks and Jovon Johnson are leaders of this team & class (2011) as well.
Kicker Alex Knight is a sophomore (class of 2012) and started to turn it up last year at the JV games. Tough shoes to fill, but he'll do fine.
Finally we have quite a few freshman (Class of 2013) that could be impact players this upcoming football season, including Tre Barksdale brother Drew Barksdale. also a very speedy RB (Cory Crenshaw) maybe faster then Kyle H or Jessie C., George (DB/LB/RB), a couple big linemen (Cesar & Pastor), so I think that class is ready and waiting to run in and help as well.
Chris H will be our starting QB (my opinion) and it will be Drew S. and Pat K. filling in right behind. Drew being more of a wildcat QB and Patrick more of the pocket QB. Both impact players.

My $.002

Last edited:
Comets 2010

hey im sorry but i had to make this post because i disagree with some things that 2012 parent said. let me start off by saying coach McDaniels will return next year and will be receiving pay this year unlike last year. second, starting running back Kyle Hammonds isnt going any where. Not to take anything away from Jackson or Circelli but Hammonds is a D1 recruit. 2012parent im not sure if you are aware of it or not but Hammonds received an Offer from Ohio university two weeks ago and is a returning all district player, he is the real deal. Chris H, is going to have a HUGE role in the 2010 season. From what i have herd he will be a two way starter, playing much of the same role Steve V played back in his senior year. Kicker Alex Knight has been working hard during the off season and will be a Great! place kicker for the Comets next year i believe. Now on the defensive side of the ball there will be a lot of empty space to fill. Look to see senior Linebacker A.J. Hicks have a standout season and turn a lot of heads.

1)Hammonds: http://bobcatattack.com/messageboard/topic.asp?ForumPID=7&PID=213632

http://scoutingohio.com/index.php/view-profile.html?task=userProfile&user=1827&name=kylehammonds

2)Hicks: http://scoutingohio.com/index.php/view-profile.html?task=userProfile&user=3726&name=Juice47

3)Humphrey: http://scoutingohio.com/index.php/view-profile.html?task=userProfile&user=3854&name=Chumphrey

Fully aware of Hammonds award winning seasons and offer, just seeing how the o-coaching staff may spread things out a bit, if they see necessary. Sometimes being a little more unpredictable can keep our opponents defense on their toes. To me it's a win win with having all 3 young men on the team.
I agree on your comments on the defense next year. A.J., Camiener, Hoff, Corrigan, Jovan Johnson, even Nick Davidson are the only starting returners I believe, so defensivly we'll see the 2012 & 2013 having opportunity to step in this fall.

Hmmmm, lacrosse, baseball, and track coming up; but you guys have me thinking and dreaming Solon Comet football. YOWZA!!!!! :cool:

The 2010 Solon football team will be among the most talented in the school's history. However, it will also be the Comets' youngest team in many years. Solon will have a small senior class (only 15 juniors by the end of the 2009 season) and a huge junior class (42 sophomores on last year's roster). Juniors will make up the bulk of the 2010 starting lineup.

When I discuss players, I do so in the context of the 2010 season. So, when I say a player is a senior, I mean that he will be a senior next fall. Same with juniors and sophomores.

Yes, senior Chris Humphrey will be the starting quarterback. Last year, he showed flashes of brilliance running the Comets' version of the "wildcat." He's a great runner (with 4.49 speed). He has looked pretty good throwing the ball in scrimmages, though his opportunities have been limited. He's a potentially outstanding option QB. With Humphrey, Solon might be a bit more run-oriented than last year. Juniors Drew Stankiewicz and Patrick Kramer and sophomore Cole Bennici will be the backups.

Hammonds returns at tailback. He's a two-year starter and has the offer from OU, but there's still room for improvement. Kyle averaged 3.9 yards a carry. That figure needs to rise in 2010. I expect to see a lot of two-back sets this year, with Christian Jackson getting some carries. When Solon does need a true fullback for short-yardage sets, look for junior Aaron Penn to get the nod.

Solon does have tremendous depth at running back. As 2012parent mentioned, junior Jesse Circelli has been a standout at lower levels. He'd be a highly-productive varsity tailback, IMO. However, I'm not sure if he'll get the chance. He's got Hammonds and Jackson ahead of him and sophomore Khoury Crenshaw coming up from behind. Crenshaw has the potential to be another Brandon Shimits. He might be the fastest player I've ever seen at Solon. He scored 24 TDs for last year's freshman team (22 rushing, 2 receiving) and averaged over 30 yards on those 24 scores. Go chew on that for a minute. I believe that Crenshaw will see varsity action; maybe a little at first, probably more as the season goes on. He's good enough that it will be difficult to keep him off the field.

The receiving corps will be young, but talented. Junior Tres Barksdale returns after catching 38 passes for five TDs. The other starting receiver will probably be junior Cory Stuart (Cameron's brother), who starred for last year's JV. The third and fourth receivers will probably be a pair of sophomores: Drew Barksdale and Darian Hicks. Drew is Tres' younger brother. Hicks is the younger brother of A.J. I believe that both kids are varsity-ready, and both are potential stars.

Tight end is thin this year. A.J. Hicks might have to play TE, in addition to his linebacking duties. Junior Michael Dunn and sophomore Brendan Gallagher also play TE, but may not be ready to start until 2011.

The offensive line should be Solon's best since 2002. Even better, there's lots of size and lots of good, young depth, so the lines should be solid for several years. Seniors David Corrigan and Sam Camiener and juniors Nate Hoff and Austin Stock all started at least half the games last year and all played extensively. They'll make up 4/5 of this year's O-line. Junior Vince Hill may have started as a soph last year, but missed much of the season with injuries. He'll be ready to go this fall and is a potential standout. However, if the coaching staff wants to play Hill exclusively on defense, then senior Regis Palmer could get the nod at center. The lineup may be Camiener and Stock at tackles, Hoff and Corrigan at guard, with Palmer at center. Hill plays tackle and Stock has also played some center.

The defensive line has a lot of question marks, though the potential is there for a strong unit, especially in the interior. Hoff and Hill will both play extensively at tackle. Hill may play fulltime if he doesn't start on the O-line. Solon usually rotates a couple of guys in at tackle. Expect to see junior Kalin Etheridge get lots of playing time. He's a smaller, quicker tackle in the Andy McGill mold. Stock and Corrigan may also see some double duty.

It will be difficult to replace Darryl Baldwin, Ryan Rosenberg and Josh Cobble at end. Senior Chris Dowdy might start at one DE spot. He's played very well when given the chance, though he battled injuries last season. Juniors Dan Sutyak and Sam Palumbo might play at the other end spot. Talented sophomore Ryan Pastor could also see action.

Linebacker should be the strongest, most experienced unit on Solon's 2010 team. A.J. Hicks will be a standout at MLB and will probably earn himself a college scholarship at season's end. Senior Jovon Johnson and junior Nick Davidson will start on the outside and both could be in line for post-season honors. Juniors Aaron Penn, Pat Vogel and Michael Dunn and sophomore George Berry will be the backups, and any or all could see action in the Comets' 3-4 scheme.

The secondary will be inexperienced. Complicating the situation is the fact that Humphrey, the lone returning starter, is in line to play QB. He may indeed play both ways, though I'm skeptical. I'd prefer that he concentrates on QB. Solon has the athletes to fill in if Humphrey does play offense fulltime. But if Chris doesn't play safety, the unit will probably be comprised of four underclassmen.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that juniors Jesse Circelli and Justin Kresevic will be the corners. Fellow junior Ryan Schwenke will start at one safety spot. If Humphrey plays QB fulltime, then junior Drew Stankiewicz might get to start. Juniors Cory Stuart and Anthony Restifo could also win a spot. Circelli and Schwenke will be stars before too long.

Junior Alex Knight will be the kicker. He booted a 35-yard FG on muddy sod in the Nordonia JV game. Junior Sam Palumbo will probably be the punter.

Last edited:
Nice writeup Meta.. This looks to be the makings of a great team and hopefully a deep playoff run... I am with Hurri on this... Lets get this seasson started!!! :cool:

Just my opinion, the Comets need Chris Humphrey at safety, weather or not he plays QB. And we need him returning punts, a la Steve Valentino., and Scott Greenberg, and Gregg Genovese! I do wonder about the hoops player DeAndre Payton? Is he going to come out for football?

GO COMETS! :cool:

Solon has solidified its preseason scrimmage schedule. The Comets will host St. Ignatius on August 10 at 10 a.m. Solon will visit Warren Harding on August 14 at 10 a.m. The Comets then host Brush on August 20 at 7 p.m.

In case anyone hasn't seen the regular season schedule, here it is:

Aug. 27: Shaker Heights, 7 p.m.
Sept. 3: Worthington Kilbourne, 7:30 p.m.
Sept. 10: @ Mentor, 7 p.m.
Sept. 16: @ Parma, 7 p.m.
Sept. 24: Hudson, 7 p.m.
Sept. 30: @ Mayfield, 7 p.m.
Oct. 8: @ Brunswick, 7 p.m.
Oct. 15: Nordonia, 7 p.m.
Oct. 22: Medina, 7 p.m.
Oct. 29: @ Strongsville, 7 p.m.

Last edited:
Solon High School has announced that the following 2009 senior football players received post-season awards:

Darryl Baldwin: Cleveland Touchdown Club Defensive Player of the Year
Austin Hood: Greater Cleveland Football Coaches Scholarship
Cameron Stuart: National Football Foundation Scholarship Athlete Award

Congratulations, guys!!

Last edited:
OhioHigh Magazine has compiled a checklist of Ohio's best seniors, which it has posted over on JJHuddle. Solon's A.J. Hicks is listed among the top middle linebackers.

According to OhioHigh, Hicks is 6-1, 215 with 4.7 speed. He has been offered by Ball State University. FWIW, I believe A.J. will play closer to 225 this year. A video accompanies the profile.

I wish I knew how to post the link but I don't. However, a number of Solon players have profiles/videos on www.scoutingohio.com. In case anyone wants to check out a player's video, go to the site and fill in his name and other information (position, class, etc.) on the right-hand side of the webpage.

Barksdale, Hoff, Stock and Humphrey have videos. Perhaps others, too, although I haven't searched everybody yet. Some of the younger guys, such as Davidson and Hill, only have profiles at this time (that should change by this fall).

OhioHigh lists players at a different position each day. Safeties were highlighted a few days ago. I was a bit surprised not to see Humphrey's name among the top seniors. I expect to see Hammonds among the top tailbacks. I'll keep everyone posted, because I know that JJ is impossible to access unless you're a member.

Last edited:
As expected, Kyle Hammonds' name appears on OhioHigh Magazine's checklist of the state top senior running backs, as published over on JJHuddle. The site lists Kyle at 5-9, 182. His other measurables are 295 bench, 410 squat and 4.47 forty.

Here are 2009 stats for some of Solon's returning players, according to the school website:

Chris Humphrey completed three passes in five attempts for 19 yards and an interception. He carried the ball 21 times for 252 yards (a 12.0 avg.!!!) and two TDs. Chris averaged 10.2 yards on punt returns and 19.5 on kickoff returns.

Defensively, Humphrey had 65 tackles, one TFL, one fumble recovery and two INTs for 43 return yards.

Kyle Hammonds had 254 rushing attempts for 992 yards (3.9 avg.) and 17 TDs. He caught 22 passes for 313 yards (14.2 avg.) and two TDs.

Christian Jackson ran 52 times for 199 yards (3.8 avg.) and five TDs. C.J. had nine catches for 70 yards.

Jesse Circelli ran 27 times for 121 yards (4.5 avg.) and one TD.

Tres Barksdale caught 38 passes for 578 yards (15.2 avg.) and five TDs.

A.J. Hicks had 58 tackles, including seven TFL. Hicks had three INTs for 17 yards in returns, with one fumble recovery.

Nick Davidson had 78 tackles, including 17 TFL, with one INT and two fumble recoveries.

Jovon Johnson had 58 tackles, including seven TFL.

Nate Hoff had 48 tackles, including 14 TFL.

Ryan Schwenke had 25 tackles.

Last edited:
The 2010 Competition

What's your early opinion on the upcoming season and the Comets competition?
Mentor, Strongville, and Mayfield look to be tough games especially being away this upcoming season.

Thoughts?

What's your early opinion on the upcoming season and the Comets competition?
Mentor, Strongville, and Mayfield look to be tough games especially being away this upcoming season.

Thoughts?

It's unfortunate but most of the tougher games will be on the road. However, Brunswick won't be as strong as it's been the last few years, and Solon should be a solid favorite.

Mayfield will drop a bit (but not too much) from the last two years. I believe Solon will also be a slight favorite in this game.

That leaves Mentor and Strongsville. The Comets have lost the last three times they've visited Mentor. Of course, Mentor was probably the better team each time.

Who is better this year? The PD and other so-called experts will pick Mentor; Solon will be the underdog. Mentor certainly will be the more experienced team, the bigger team; with a great pair of RBs. Solon will be the faster, more athletic team but also, the more youthful.

The Comets are capable of beating Mentor this year, but they'll have to find some way to contain Mentor's running game.

In previous years, Solon has gone into Mentor with momentum but losses there have changed the complexion of each season. Losing to the Cards seemed to throw Solon off kilter in both 2006 and 2008. The Comets never seemed to recover from those defeats and struggled through both campaigns.

Conversely, last year's win over Mentor seemed to give the team a confidence that it carried through the rest of the year.

So for me, the Mentor game is the key to the season.

Solon will visit Strongsville in Week 10 with the Valley Division title most probably on the line. The Mustangs will be much improved over 2009. Strongsville returns 6 or 7 defensive starters, three O-linemen, two WRs, all-Ohio TE Ray Hamilton and all-league RB Matt Bianco.

What the Mustangs don't have (seemingly at any level in their program) is a solid QB. That probably gives Solon the advantage in the matchup.

One cautionary note: I went to Strongsville for last year's Week 10 JV game and the field was virtually unplayable. It was pig-slop at its worst. I'm sure all our fans remember the quagmire in the 2008 varsity game. I hate the idea of playing at Strongsville in Week 10. I hope the conditions this year won't be an equalizer.

Solon should probably be solid favorites in all of its other games. I've heard that Worthington Kilbourne should be pretty good, so the Comets should get a pre-Mentor challenge.

If I had to rate the schedule 1 to 10 from toughest to weakest, it would be:

1. Mentor
2. Strongsville
3. Mayfield
4. Kilbourne
5. Brunswick
6. Hudson
7. Shaker
8. Nordonia
9. Medina
10. Parma

Last edited:
JJHuddle is reporting that Youngstown State has offered a scholarship to A.J. Hicks. A.J. already has an offer from Ball State.

I believe that A.J. will get lots of offers before this season is through. :)

Where is Kevin Hicks going? I figured him to get a track schollie @ Kentucky and walk on for football. SEC is tough but look how he improved in one season, plus that new found kicking skill. :cool:

Saw A.J. last weekend and he sure looks the part. If he can stay healthy he should dominate this year...cannot wait for the first game. Heard the boys are working hard and are anxious also.

Here is some information about Solon's Week 2 opponent, Worthington Kilbourne. I'm told that Kilbourne runs the same sort of ground-hugging, option offense that Hilliard Davidson features. Anyone who watched last year's D1 state title game should know what to expect.

I looked up Kilbourne's website, trying to find some stats. I was unsuccessful but I managed to dig up scoring summaries from each of their contests.

The Wolves played nine games last year, scoring 22 TDs overall; 15 on the ground, five through the air. Their QB, who graduated, led the team with seven rushing TDs.

Judging by the game summaries, Kilbourne runs a two-back set. Both running backs return this year. They are Sheldon Tillman (listed at 5-8, 176 on the 2009 roster) and Dan Eurich (listed at 5-10, 162). Tillman scored six TDs last year; Eurich ran for two TDs and added a TD reception.

Only three players had TD carries. That's unusual. Maybe it's the product of playing so many close games.

The Wolves return a 6-6 WR named Jack Burian, who had two of the team's 5 TD catches.

Kilbourne has an offensive lineman named Matt Skura who has verballed to Duke University.

The Wolves weren't really a big-play team last year and seem more inclined to grind out lengthy drives. Their QB had TD runs of 63 and 38 yards and Burian had a 24-yard TD catch. However, the rest of Kilbourne's TDs all came from 20 yards and in.

Kilbourne finished 5-4 and placed 11th in Region 3. Here are the Wolves' 2009 scores:

Groveport Madison, L 7-37
Dublin Scioto, W 9-7
Hilliard Darby, W 34-20
Upper Arlington, L 21-22
Mount Vernon, W 29-22
Hilliard Davidson, L 14-17 OT
Gahanna Lincoln, W 24-21
Dublin Coffman, L 0-35
Thomas Worthington, W 28-13

The Wolves played three teams with winning records and got hammered by two of them; Groveport Madison (6-4) and Coffman (10-0). The other, state champion Davidson, they took to overtime. Go figure.

Kilbourne had 29 juniors on last year's roster, so they may have a big edge in experience over Solon. The Comets will only have 14-15 seniors this year. I have no idea how many starters return for the Wolves.

From scanning their roster, I don't believe they'll have a size advantage over Solon. On the contrary, the Comets might be a bit bigger overall.

Last edited:
The recruiting process has begun for Tres Barksdale. Tres' name appears on several college programs' wish lists of 2012 prospects on scout.com. Barksdale, who has grown to 6-2, 180, is interested in Cincinnati, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State and Vanderbilt.

I'm trying to find recruiting information on some of Solon's junior players, including Nate Hoff, Austin Stock and others. If anyone knows anything, please pass it along.

Last edited:
Who does solon play?

We never know in advance. Warren JFK and Independence are regular opponents. The other teams change. We've had Maple Heights, VASJ, Cuyahoga Falls, Painesville Harvey, Holy Name, Padua and Garfield Heights in the past. We even had Glenville one year.

For those who don't know, Solon hosted a 7-on-7 today, with Warren JFK, Padua, Maple Heights and Cuyahoga Falls as the opposition. The format differed from those of previous years, in that the Comets played two platoons at once against different opponents, on either side of the 50 inside the stadium. At the same time, two other teams battled on the practice field behind the visitors' grandstand.

Lots of Solon kids played today, as the reserves had one side of the field to themselves and got some experience vs. other teams' starters.

I saw some good things today, and some causes for concern. The QBs struggled with accuracy at times and Chris Humphrey showed a penchant for pulling down the ball and running from the pocket. During the regular season, Chris will turn some of those scrambles into TDs. Today, I wanted to see the passing game click.

Drew Stankiewicz, Patrick Kramer, George Berry and (I believe) Cole Bennici also played QB for the Comets. Stankiewicz looked decent in a couple of series with the reserves. Kramer played with both the reserves and the starters. He looked better and more confident playing with the starters, as he threw TD passes to Cory Stuart and Tres Barksdale vs. Padua. In fact, I thought Kramer's play against Padua was the best that a Comet QB threw the ball today.

I was very pleased with Solon's defense. Both the starters and the reserves looked solid. As expected, Jovon Johnson, A.J. Hicks and Nick Davidson started at LB. Aaron Penn played a lot as the fourth linebacker. All four are in great shape and looked fast. Hicks and Penn are built like brick outhouses and Nick and Jovon are just as impressive, if not as bulky.

The first-team secondary consisted of Christian Jackson, Jesse Circelli and Justin Kresevic at corner, with Ryan Schwenke, Humphrey and Tres Barksdale at safety. It's becoming apparent that Humphrey will play both ways. I was surprised to see Barksdale at safety, though he did play the position as a freshman. Today, he looked tall and fast and alert closing on receivers. I don't know if he'll be a nickel back, or if he'll spell Humphrey. I really like the speed and athleticism in the D-backfield and I'm not as worried about the unit as I was before today.

The front-line receivers looked good, especially Tres and Cory Stuart. Drew Barksdale also played with the first-teamers and looked ready for varsity. Josh Farrell, Anthony Restifo and David Edelman (I believe it was him who wore #9) all made some nice catches.

Kyle Hammonds, Circelli, C.J. and Khoury Crenshaw all played at TB. Jovon, Penn and Davidson each got snaps at FB. A.J. Hicks was the only TE I saw playing with the regular unit.

The most important thing to take from today is that Solon has lots and lots of speed, skill and athleticism at LB, DB, WR and RB. The Comets should match up well with most any opponent at those positions. The potential exists at QB; hopefully we'll see more consistency in the upcoming scrimmages. And we all know Humphrey excels when he can run.

We'll have to see about the linemen.

Last edited: