RIP Fairwood King

iam4ND

Love him or hate him, he was a frequent poster here. I had a bad feeling when he didn't post about the Big Red/Massillon game.

Scott Carlton, 66, passed away on September 19, 2014, in Renton, Washington.

He was born in Steubenville, OH, on June 14, 1948, to John Amos and Florence Divich Carlton.

Scott was a 1966 graduate of Steubenville High School and went on to earn bachelor's degrees from Kent State University and graduate degrees from Kent State University, the University of Dayton and the University of Texas at Dallas.

He was a foreign language teacher, interpreter and computer programmer.

He is survived by cousins, Nancy McFarland of Commerce, Texas, and Mary Divich of Steubenville, OH, and special friends, Leonard Obert of Seattle, and Faith and Bob Barnett of Cuyahoga Falls, OH.

He was preceded in death by his parents.

Scott was an accomplished ice skater who toured with Holiday on Ice/Europe and South America in the 1970s.

He was an author and avid coin and stamp collector who judged countless shows and published books and articles on those topics.

One of the biggest joys in his life was the years he spent singing with the Seattle Men's Chorus.

He was an enthusiastic lifetime Steubenville "Big Red" football fan and faithfully followed his college alma maters' athletic teams.

"Scott Carlton" Herald-Star 30 Sep 2014:

Rip... But no way to justify his defending the rapists in the Steubenville threads...

I think you're misrepresenting his position in the rape case. As I recall, he didn't defend the rapists at all but he did partially blame the girl for putting herself in the position she ended up in.

Was his death sudden or had he been ill? It seemd like up until recenyly he was posting and was just as energetic as ever. I remember his stories about his dad and his father's love for Big Red. He did rub many posters the wrong way especially Big Red's. From what he said Coach Reno did not appreciate when he attended Big Red ask the coach gatherings. There was friction. lol

RIP Scott

Too bad he died. As much as I thought he was a moron with his postings, I was entertained for the most part.
Has to be up there with a couple of the best-worst posters of all time...Mpire and his many other titles and falcon81 I believe. These guys were mainly on the wrestling forum but man they were all lightning rods.

I hope that he made his peace with God. His posts read as if he was leaning that way.

I'd like to think that he trolled us at least as often as we trolled him, and that we provided a sick man, old before his time, with a diversion when he needed one.

So long, FawK

RIP FWK. Regardless of how you may have felt about the man's opinions he shared. I think Scott meant well and provided a unique perspective on football and you have to respect his devotion to the Big Red. Despite his devotion he wasn't blindly supportive of the Big Red. I remember him speaking out against the Big Red after the rape case, going so far as writing to the local paper to chastise the programs handling of the case. Even going so far as to call for Renos resignation or removal. In a strange way I think the board has lost a bit by his passing. I enjoyed reading his posts in the same way I used to tune into Jerry Springer or big time wrestling from time to time. Anyway, farewell to you fairwood.

God speed FWK. Cant say I agreed with him on much, but you had to admire his fortitude. Always felt like he was hunting for something in this life...hope he finds it in the here after. God loves us all the same. RIP Scott.

Sad to hear about this. He could be a bit overzealous at times, but he was truly passionate about Big Red football and I remember quite often that he would be apologetic about the behavior of some in the community. By no means did I ever get the impression that he was one of the head-in-the-sand Steubenville folks.

In regards to his health, I seem to remember him mentioning on more than one occasion that he was in a wheelchair and that some other issues were preventing him from getting back to Ohio to watch more games.

RIP to Mr. Scott Carlton AKA "FairwoodKing"

I'm very sorry to read of his passing. I too got a real charge out of some his more wild threads and postings. Having said that, he was a true blue "Big Red" fan, loyal to the core. He came to an environment here (A football posting board) where he had to know acceptance from everyone was going to be a rough go and stuck here to the end regardless. He was always open about everything, even when that perhaps wasn't always the wisest or best choice in terms of the reaction he would get.

I guess I am trying to say I think he was a brave man, in his own small way here on Yappi and probably in his day to day life and challenges too. I am sorry he is gone and I hope he is in a better place where he will find and have peace.

EDIT: As some of you have already posted, I feel he presented himself here on Yappi as being very upset and humiliated about the rape case, the rapists and what it did to his beloved home town of Steubenville. I never thought of him as an apologist for anything or anyone related to that, or even to anything else.

Last edited:
The fact that we all take time out of our days to post on Yappi shows that we're all very passionate about our schools & communities. Many of us are often misunderstood in some way, but I admired Fairwood King's passion for his hometown. Sometimes, being misunderstood shows more of your individuality because you aren't trying to be like anybody else. FWK was one of those individuals.

RIP.

Sad to hear. RIP FWK. He always would make me laugh when I read his posts. Definitely got less interesting hear at yappi. :(