Portal News

Orin Swift

Individual team threads can still discuss it but figured we could have a dedicated thread for discussing general portal news.

Toledo’s Daquan Finn to the portal. Bummer to hear, but I was shocked he didn’t transfer last year. Guy is a baller.

Former ND and current Alabama QB Tyler Buchner enters the portal….as a lacrosse player! Plot twist!

Sadly seems most of Vandy’s best players have entered. Hard to ever build something with that happening every year. They have four 4* transfer players in the portal as well as multi year starting QB AJ Swann.

Dillon Gabriel to Oregon. I for sure thought he’d follow Jeff Lebby to Miss State. Lebby was Gabriel’s QB coach for 2 years and OC for 1 at UCF and again in Oklahoma. Big pick up by Oregon. I’d imagine Austin Novosad isn’t quite ready and this is a bridge to him while former blue chipper Ty Simpson, a to-be RS JR and top 10 QB and top 85 overall player in his class, will transfer out.

UTSA’s DE Trey Moore is in the portal. In his RS sophomore season he piled up 45 tackles, 17.5 TFL, 14 sacks this season. During his two playing years he has accumulated a total of 105 tackles, 35.5 TFLs, 22 sacks, 10 pass break ups, 3 forced fumbles and an INT. Just a hyper productive player. Doesn’t appear his HC, DC or position coach have been poached (yet). He’s from Texas, about halfway between San Antonio and Austin. My guess is he heads a short ride northeast and transfers to Texas. Somewhat surprised he isn’t going to be drafted this year with production like that, I wonder what his measurables and combine traits are like.

I would assume that the 4 playoff teams will have players go to the portal once they’re eliminated.

I saw this evening that there was somewhere over 1,100 players enter the portal in the first day they could announce.

UK continues with the transfer portal QB lifestyle by landing former 5* and former UGA Bulldog Brock Vandergriff. Don’t really get it from Vandergriff’s perspective. No coaching staff connections, not from Kentucky, not like they’ve put up big passing numbers despite having Will Levis and then seeing Leery’s numbers drop dramatically after leaving NC state.

I would assume that the 4 playoff teams will have players go to the portal once they’re eliminated.

I saw this evening that there was somewhere over 1,100 players enter the portal in the first day they could announce.
OSU should be able to find several starters or contributors from 1100 players. Like I said no reason why a team like OSU sholud not be able to reload every year with the TP. Don't like your QB politely tell them he is going to have to compete for the job (hint go to the portal) and go find a new one. Too bad they don't have a portal for wife's (just kidding dear).

I think there are over 13,000 players, just in FBS. The portal is for all divisions, so 1000 probably isn't that big of a number.

UK continues with the transfer portal QB lifestyle by landing former 5* and former UGA Bulldog Brock Vandergriff. Don’t really get it from Vandergriff’s perspective. No coaching staff connections, not from Kentucky, not like they’ve put up big passing numbers despite having Will Levis and then seeing Leery’s numbers drop dramatically after leaving NC state.
I think is simply where BV sees an opportunity to play at UK that he did have at UGA.

ESPN #1 transfer, former Texas A&M Edge Walter Nolan, visits Oregon this weekend. A lot of chatter that Dillon Gabriel will be their QB in '24 too. Oregon looks to be very aggressive in the portal and will be one of the faves heading into the nationwide B1G. Hosts tOSU in Eugen for one of the biggest games on the '24 schedule.

On 3's portal tracker which includes projections. Not sure how accurate these are but some interesting callouts:
  • Nolan with a heavy lean to Oregon.
  • Donte Moore between MSU and Miami.
  • Trevor Etienne to UGA. (This would be like Trayanum to UM).
  • Kyle McCord to Nebraska.
  • Julian Fleming to Penn State or UK.
  • McCord is the only former Buckeye to make the top 50.

UTSA’s DE Trey Moore is in the portal. In his RS sophomore season he piled up 45 tackles, 17.5 TFL, 14 sacks this season. During his two playing years he has accumulated a total of 105 tackles, 35.5 TFLs, 22 sacks, 10 pass break ups, 3 forced fumbles and an INT. Just a hyper productive player. Doesn’t appear his HC, DC or position coach have been poached (yet). He’s from Texas, about halfway between San Antonio and Austin. My guess is he heads a short ride northeast and transfers to Texas. Somewhat surprised he isn’t going to be drafted this year with production like that, I wonder what his measurables and combine traits are like.

He’s an under the radar guy. Probably thinks he could put himself on the radar transferring to a bigger program. Physically seems to be in line with the league trend toward less bulky LBs; 6’3” 235 as an OLB.

Kyle McCord said no to Nebraska. Daddy must not of got Rhule to guarantee his son would start in the fall
If playing time is the key then places like Duke or Syracuse might be his best options. Louisville & Auburn are also in the market for a pro style QB but they are looking to spend big NIL $s to get a name into the fold so he would probably be option B to a bigger rated QB for those guys. An outside option is also UM if McCarthy moves on, wouldn't that be something?

If playing time is the key then places like Duke or Syracuse might be his best options. Louisville & Auburn are also in the market for a pro style QB but they are looking to spend big NIL $s to get a name into the fold so he would probably be option B to a bigger rated QB for those guys. An outside option is also UM if McCarthy moves on, wouldn't that be something?
Brohm will get you to the NFL. Auburn will get you to another university which may get you to the nfl.

Kyle McCord said no to Nebraska. Daddy must not of got Rhule to guarantee his son would start in the fall
Maybe this is why. Previously committing to OSU and then flipping to Georgia, now possibly flipping to Nebraska: