Pitch clock/ shorter games

So in 99%of the things we purchase, we want more rather than less, but for baseball we want faster games so we can get out of there?? Makes no sense to me. I think this will be ever evolving and you will see teams try to circumvent the rules. Wait until the first game when a pitch clock violation in a key point in the 9th inning causes a team to win or lose, people will lose their minds. There is dead time in baseball, there always has been. Why people get bent out of shape about it fascinates me.
Pretty simple concept. Would you rather play a round of golf in 4 hours, or 6 hours with waiting on every tee?

General baseball question. If the runner placed on 2nd base to begin the extra inning in a tied game scores does that count against the pitchers ERA? Doesn’t seem fair if it does.

General baseball question. If the runner placed on 2nd base to begin the extra inning in a tied game scores does that count against the pitchers ERA? Doesn’t seem fair if it does.
No, it doesn’t count against that.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Automatic Runner​

Definition​

As part of MLB's health and safety protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic, all half-innings after the ninth will begin with a runner on second base in the 2020 regular season. This rule will not be in place for the 2020 postseason or the 2021 campaign.

The runner placed on second base at the start of each half-inning in extras will be the player in the batting order immediately preceding that half-inning’s leadoff hitter, or a pinch-runner. So, if the No. 7 hitter in the order is due to lead off, the No. 6 hitter (or a pinch-runner for the No. 6 hitter) would be placed on second base.

If the automatic runner comes around to score, an earned run will not be charged to the pitcher.

(MLB.com)

Pretty simple concept. Would you rather play a round of golf in 4 hours, or 6 hours with waiting on every tee?
Not quite that simple. When you are golfing you are specifically WAITING to play. In baseball, yes there is some dead time, but there is also some strategy going on that impacts the game. So with this new pitch calling system, can the pitcher change the pitch? It seems like the catcher calls the pitch, but can the pitcher change it, and how?
Also, why put a limit on pickoff throws? I want the ability to keep a runner close. Comparing throwing to a base to waiting to golf is so far off base it isn't funny.

Automatic Runner​

Definition​

As part of MLB's health and safety protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic, all half-innings after the ninth will begin with a runner on second base in the 2020 regular season. This rule will not be in place for the 2020 postseason or the 2021 campaign.

The runner placed on second base at the start of each half-inning in extras will be the player in the batting order immediately preceding that half-inning’s leadoff hitter, or a pinch-runner. So, if the No. 7 hitter in the order is due to lead off, the No. 6 hitter (or a pinch-runner for the No. 6 hitter) would be placed on second base.

If the automatic runner comes around to score, an earned run will not be charged to the pitcher.

(MLB.com)
Covid is over. it's ridiculous to put a ghost runner on base for extra innings. For NFL overtime rules, let's just go 7 on 7, take the lineman out.

It's crazy how these rules are changing history.

Covid is over. it's ridiculous to put a ghost runner on base for extra innings. For NFL overtime rules, let's just go 7 on 7, take the lineman out.

My brother, an avid Tribe fan, says MLB is considering doing away with the ghost runner.

And, replacing it with calling games a tie after twelve innings. 😜

Not quite that simple. When you are golfing you are specifically WAITING to play. In baseball, yes there is some dead time, but there is also some strategy going on that impacts the game. So with this new pitch calling system, can the pitcher change the pitch? It seems like the catcher calls the pitch, but can the pitcher change it, and how?
Also, why put a limit on pickoff throws? I want the ability to keep a runner close. Comparing throwing to a base to waiting to golf is so far off base it isn't funny.
As always, the point of my post escapes you. Did I compare golf to pick-off throws? No.

Follow the thread that you started. I answered you - there are many cases where people don't like wasting time, and they get impatient. Golf is a great example. Baseball is another. That's the entirety of my point.

14red.png

As I've said before, since many of you seem to be in a hurry, let's just start each batter with a 1-1 count like they do in slow pitch softball. Or even better, one pitch, strike or ball, out or safe. Heck starters may even get a complete game or two. Non stop action for you guys who can't seem to ever be content.

As I've said before, since many of you seem to be in a hurry, let's just start each batter with a 1-1 count like they do in slow pitch softball. Or even better, one pitch, strike or ball, out or safe. Heck starters may even get a complete game or two. Non stop action for you guys who can't seem to ever be content.
I’ve never seen anyone so unhappy that he gets less time to see hitters play with their batting gloves and adjust their cup, and pitchers throw over to first base ad nauseum and stare into the catcher for 30 seconds.

By the way, the extra-inning ghost runner is for helping preserve bullpens by getting runs on the board to create a winner, not to save time.

I’ve never seen anyone so unhappy that he gets less time to see hitters play with their batting gloves and adjust their cup, and pitchers throw over to first base ad nauseum and stare into the catcher for 30 seconds.

By the way, the extra-inning ghost runner is for helping preserve bullpens by getting runs on the board to create a winner, not to save time.

I'm not unhappy, I probably watch more baseball than anyone on here. But I didn't have a problem with the game as it was. I really do not understand the angst and hand wringing. If you don't like baseball, go do something else. Watch golf, basketball, spring football, racing, there's alot out there.
Throwing over to first to hold a fast runner on is a legitimate strategy of the game.

As far as preserving bullpens, give me a break. Most teams carry 12-13 pitchers. We have professional athletes who can't throw 20 pitches a day, everyday. To me, it's embarrassing seeing position players pitch, which happened both Saturday and Sunday in the Cincy/ Phillies series. We have such weak minded ball players these days. There are guys who are hanging on to pro careers and yet we can't ask them to go out and extend themself a little bit.

Well, the tradition and history of baseball is now out the door. You'll likely see change after change as the years go on.

I love that 14Red always gets back to how he hates that baseball organizations and their players care about their safety. There has been tons and tons of research which has lead us to where the game is today. Guys don't throw like they used to and never will again.

As for the "Go watch something else" comment....that's exactly what baseball's trying to change. People aren't watching the game and they're trying to draw new viewers. You're obviously in the minority on here in terms of liking the new rules. And as the season progresses even those Baseball Lifers who thought they'd hate the new rules...are actually enjoying the pace.

And you act like they just totally changed the game. This is pretty much how it's played at every other level other than MLB.

I love that 14Red always gets back to how he hates that baseball organizations and their players care about their safety. There has been tons and tons of research which has lead us to where the game is today. Guys don't throw like they used to and never will again.

As for the "Go watch something else" comment....that's exactly what baseball's trying to change. People aren't watching the game and they're trying to draw new viewers. You're obviously in the minority on here in terms of liking the new rules. And as the season progresses even those Baseball Lifers who thought they'd hate the new rules...are actually enjoying the pace.

And you act like they just totally changed the game. This is pretty much how it's played at every other level other than MLB.
First of all no, it's not at all about safety, It's about career management and getting to that second contract. I'll use an old timer who just passed away, Vida Blue as an example. Blue was the old neanderthal pitcher who pitched alot, likely even maybe in a 4 man rotation. In 1971, Blue was 24-8 with a 1.81 ERA. 24 complete games. TWENTY FOUR!!! There will likely not be 24 complete games by all 32 major league teams combined this season.
But back then, guys played because they had to A. Make money and B. Keep their jobs. I'm sure guys played through injuries alot back then because it was their career and they were not going to give it up.
And I hate to tell you, but there was an initial blip in ratings but we're slowly sliding back into normal baseball ratings. Lost in all this is the simple fact that people simply want to do other things with their time and money than follow baseball. We are reaching a point where the parents of kids never played baseball or softball, so they have little interest in exposing their kids to it. So many young kind now are introduced to lacrosse, basketball and football (flag) at younger ages. You can't manufacture fans.

Just think, those yahoos that show up in the 3rd/ 4th inning and leave in the 8th may only be in the stadium for an hour. And this is progress?
The average game length is 2 hours, 37 minutes. Which is just about perfect, in my opinion. If people miss half the game of their own volition, why is that an MLB problem?

And I hate to tell you, but there was an initial blip in ratings but we're slowly sliding back into normal baseball ratings. Lost in all this is the simple fact that people simply want to do other things with their time and money than follow baseball. We are reaching a point where the parents of kids never played baseball or softball, so they have little interest in exposing their kids to it. So many young kind now are introduced to lacrosse, basketball and football (flag) at younger ages. You can't manufacture fans.
There isn’t going to be a massive influx of new fans overnight. It’s going to take years to try to add a bunch of fans.

The bigger issue anyway is the lack of a salary cap and salary floor, which incentivizes loser ownership groups like the Reds, Pirates, Orioles and A’s to not invest sufficiently in putting a good product on the field. Baseball fandom seems to be doing fine in places like San Diego, Philly, Atlanta, Houston, New York, the North Side of Chicago, LA, etc. where teams are trying to win.

First of all no, it's not at all about safety, It's about career management and getting to that second contract. I'll use an old timer who just passed away, Vida Blue as an example. Blue was the old neanderthal pitcher who pitched alot, likely even maybe in a 4 man rotation. In 1971, Blue was 24-8 with a 1.81 ERA. 24 complete games. TWENTY FOUR!!! There will likely not be 24 complete games by all 32 major league teams combined this season.
But back then, guys played because they had to A. Make money and B. Keep their jobs. I'm sure guys played through injuries alot back then because it was their career and they were not going to give it up.
You could've simply said...I don't understand why the world has changed since the 70's and I don't understand why baseball's trying to attract new fans by getting more action and less dead time.

You could've simply said...I don't understand why the world has changed since the 70's and I don't understand why baseball's trying to attract new fans by getting more action and less dead time.
Wanted to give you more to read.

There isn’t going to be a massive influx of new fans overnight. It’s going to take years to try to add a bunch of fans.

The bigger issue anyway is the lack of a salary cap and salary floor, which incentivizes loser ownership groups like the Reds, Pirates, Orioles and A’s to not invest sufficiently in putting a good product on the field. Baseball fandom seems to be doing fine in places like San Diego, Philly, Atlanta, Houston, New York, the North Side of Chicago, LA, etc. where teams are trying to win.

I totally agree, and the owners of NBA/ NFL teams saw ahead and wanted to make it as balanced playing field as possible for all teams. Baseball owners didn't do that. They just let it ride and you'll never get the owners of big markets to change now.

The average game length is 2 hours, 37 minutes. Which is just about perfect, in my opinion. If people miss half the game of their own volition, why is that an MLB problem?

It's not, I've just always been amazed that people show up late leave early but it just goes to show how engaged they are.

On Sunday, I saw my first game in person in a very long time. MLB lost me as a regular fan years ago. Still follow the sport indirectly but not having Bally Sports, don't care to watch much baseball as the Guardians aren't on very much...and when they are on some random station, I rarely know about it. Definitely miss the good old days of games on regular cable that every cable network in the Cleveland market carried the games. Also miss the games on channel 43 when it was free for everyone to watch.

With all that said, I really enjoyed the pace of the game. The pitch clock has changed the viewability of the game tremendously. This is the pace that games should be played at all the time WITHOUT a clock. Too bad so many pitchers/hitters/coaches became chess players and thought they could outthink the opponent if they just had a few more seconds to come up with their brilliant strategy.

The pitch clock is a horrible idea that was necessary because players and coaches abused the system. As fans, we shouldn't have allowed it to happen. Booing our own teams, players and coaches should have been part of the correction without this drastic change.

I've enjoyed youth baseball and high school baseball through the years as my interest in MLB waned due to the abuse of rules. The pace of the games at those levels was superior to MLB. I don't like the need for the pitchclock but love that they have implemented it. Now we are getting back to baseball and away from watching grass grow.