Phrases I absolutely can't stand

If you're in to grandmothers that look like frumpy librarians, then she might have qualified as hot. Not my thing, but as Smoove might say, "different strokes be for different folks."
NewOld---
Smoove appreciates your appreciationation, and while Smoove ain't aboucht to excludiate any chickie from sweet, sweet lovin' based on age, race, or national origination, Smoove get your point. Smoove though, never said she looked like a "frumpy librarian".....au contraire, mon frere, if Smoove may utilize Smoove knowledgification of the French language. This Chickie was stackified, even as an elderly experiencified Chickie. SHe lookified like she was 60, and could bring it, yo!! Nothin' was frumpy 'boucht her!!

My wife says "and I said" a million times when she tells a story. Literally drives me crazy.
My aunt repeatedly says "...anyhow..." when telling her long-winded stories. We are hoping her story will end with "anyhow", but she is just switching gears to different details on her story, or worse, switching to an entirely new story.

Anyhow...

Here's a phrase I don't care for: "you feel me?"

My aunt repeatedly says "...anyhow..." when telling her long-winded stories. We are hoping her story will end with "anyhow", but she is just switching gears to different details on her story, or worse, switching to an entirely new story.

Anyhow...

Women are prone to telling long winded stories. Dear God...I don't need to hear every stinkin detail!!!

I had a relative who who punctuated each statement with the rhetorical question: "Don'cha know?"

I says to her; I says... Then she says to me; she says...
How the hell do they do that?!? Oh, I know. They don't forget a thing.

Anyhow...

After mowing our parents' lawn about a month ago, a new neighbor introduced himself to us and - well, you know - out come the 'anyhows'.

When he left, about thirty seconds of silence went by before my brother sez 'anyhow". 😖 The urge to kill...

“Anyhoo” -or is it “anywho”? Either way, I invariable wince when someone says it to me.

First heard a co-worker start saying it around 1990, I thought she was trying to sound folksy - then I heard Needlenose Ned says it in an oh-so-folksy manner in Groundhog Day, which would explain the timing.

Have read various origins, which sound somewhat plausible - Irish, Scottish, or Canadian pronunciations - except my co-worker is Chinese and nobody else I know who uses it says anything else with those accents. Almost all women, strangely enough.

I need to get out more.

How the hell do they do that?!? Oh, I know. They don't forget a thing.
No, Mrs. Z does not! 😁

My dad would say "anyhoo", and my interpretation was "anyhow." I just thought that he was trying to be funny.

I had an uncle who would start most conversations with the phrase, "Well in there anyways".

Got my attention but I never understood.

My mother in law ends every sentence with "or whatever".

Jesus...I live in hell.
Tesoro,
Smoove is more than willing to take rilly goot care of your MIL for you, if you thinkify it would help. Smoove have had plenty of work in the field of
"STOP IT-Ness", maning after Smoove gets Smoove's hands, and fingers all up on and in some chickies, They "All of the sudden" stop doing what people complainified aboutcht them. Fo Rill, Tesoro, introducify Smoove to your MIL and Smoove will "grind" it outcht of her. Smoove don't s'poz you would want Smoove to do the same wit' your wifey and her "and I said" prollem, would you? Smoove could "Literally" eliminate that phrase from her vocabulary.......WORD!!!!

" ... the end all and be all............" Hear this a lot on sports talk radio. Shakespeare is screaming in his grave.

...that but this blow
Might be the be-all and the end-all here,

-Macbeth, Act 1, Scene 7

I had to pause when I saw a "gender neutral" sign on a bathroom door. I thought it might have been just for those who have been neutered, I went to the other restroom door, and it was the same. Then I figured it out. Maybe a sign like this would be more helpful.
1716481810923.png

Educated people on TV (Northwestern and Syracuse J-school grads) who don't the difference between alumna/alumnus/alumni. Alum is a chemical. It's really not that difficult.

"Former graduate" - So they used to be a graduate but now they aren't?

When did "comp" become a suitable replacement for comparison? More laziness from the talking heads.

Real tired of "disrespect" being a catch-all for "I want my arse smooched and nobody is willing."

Educated people on TV (Northwestern and Syracuse J-school grads) who don't the difference between alumna/alumnus/alumni. Alum is a chemical. It's really not that difficult.

"Former graduate" - So they used to be a graduate but now they aren't?

When did "comp" become a suitable replacement for comparison? More laziness from the talking heads.

Real tired of "disrespect" being a catch-all for "I want my arse smooched and nobody is willing."
Comparables... from house flipping shows to value the home they're flipping. Unfortunately it's started to spread to all other 'comp-' words. AC Comp, etc.

As for alumni/alumnus/alums... I think it's more just englifying the word "Alumni" to switch it to "alums". There's not too many borrowed words that still use the -i for pluralization.

Comparables... from house flipping shows to value the home they're flipping. Unfortunately it's started to spread to all other 'comp-' words. AC Comp, etc.

As for alumni/alumnus/alums... I think it's more just englifying the word "Alumni" to switch it to "alums". There's not too many borrowed words that still use the -i for pluralization.

It's the use of the plural " alumni" when referring to a single person that's annoying. How many times do we hear," I'm an alumni of Ohio State" ? This might be okay if the person had multiple personalities, but, the singular is " alumnus" or " alumna" for a woman. But, your " alum" is a good suggestion.

It's the use of the plural " alumni" when referring to a single person that's annoying. How many times do we hear," I'm an alumni of Ohio State" ? This might be okay if the person had multiple personalities, but, the singular is " alumnus" or " alumna" for a woman. But, your " alum" is a good suggestion.
Yep. Again it goes back to not knowing what the -I signifies in the word. I've seen that before and it definitely annoys me but it's beyond hope at this point