Phrases I absolutely can't stand

Tesoro

Has anyone else noted that people saying "I feel" when they should say "I think" is on the uptick? Drives me batty!!!!!!

And "I'm not gonna lie" ...another phrase that's driving me nuts.

I’m still stuck on starting sentences with “I mean…” from, of all people, my mom. I told her not long ago on the phone that she said it seven times in 3-4 minutes, and I’ve poked fun at her before about it, and she said “no i did not”. She is actually doing it subconsciously now lol.

It’s been big in our vernacular for several years now, but I also began noticing it in old re-run TV shows since it’s been annoying me so much.

I’m still stuck on starting sentences with “I mean…” from, of all people, my mom. I told her not long ago on the phone that she said it seven times in 3-4 minutes, and I’ve poked fun at her before about it, and she said “no i did not”. She is actually doing it subconsciously now lol.

It’s been big in our vernacular for several years now, but I also began noticing it in old re-run TV shows since it’s been annoying me so much.
How about people starting sentences with "Like..." or "So..."?

My wife says "I'm like" a million times a day. IT's like nails on a chalkboard.

My kids say “sure” when I ask them if they would like something or it. Example “I’m going to get donuts, you guys wants Some?”, the reply “Sure”. To me that is an extremely lazy yes. It does drive me insane.

My kids say “sure” when I ask them if they would like something or it. Example “I’m going to get donuts, you guys wants Some?”, the reply “Sure”. To me that is an extremely lazy yes. It does drive me insane.

My kids learned a long time ago that “sure” as a response means “no” to mom and dad.

Not really a phrase, but people making a heart sign drives me nuts. I've even seen a NASCAR driver make one during an interview.

Other than that...

I feel like there's a lot to digest when understanding the vernacular that annoys us. I'm not gonna lie there are some things driving me nuts and its giving me problems. I mean, sometimes I wonder if theres cap in our language every day. But, no cap theres a lot to unpack here. I heard an interview on the radio the other day about President Biden and the rise of pronouns in the English language. So, like, I literally reached to changed the dial because I'm like literally, bruh I'm tired of hearing about politics, but I appreciate ya, just sayin'. But, I continued to listened to the jockey and he said to his partner that he and I, we should have went in a different direction. Then, I was low key interested, because I wondered how much they planned on gas lighting the government. I mean what he started sayin' was kind of a flex on our President. So I said, I'm gonna finna out what he has to say. He continued to talk about how the government was baddie and needed change. Then, I'm like this guy is the GOAT, he's on fire and deserves big ups. Then, I thought, I needed a moment to digest what he was sayin'. Sure, I seen what he sayin' about politics. But, then I thought to myself, well actually this guy has no flex on my life and I could care less. So I turned the dial back to my favorite sports talk radio show, Bill, John and myself.

Then, I'm like this guy is the GOAT, he's on fire and deserves big ups.
Mr. Elderly Grammar Man believes the proper usage is "he's so fire", and is also grounds for the speaker being hung by their thumbs until they do in fact say "on" once again.

Not really a phrase, but people making a heart sign drives me nuts. I've even seen a NASCAR driver make one during an interview.

Other than that...

I feel like there's a lot to digest when understanding the vernacular that annoys us. I'm not gonna lie there are some things driving me nuts and its giving me problems. I mean, sometimes I wonder if theres cap in our language every day. But, no cap theres a lot to unpack here. I heard an interview on the radio the other day about President Biden and the rise of pronouns in the English language. So, like, I literally reached to changed the dial because I'm like literally, bruh I'm tired of hearing about politics, but I appreciate ya, just sayin'. But, I continued to listened to the jockey and he said to his partner that he and I, we should have went in a different direction. Then, I was low key interested, because I wondered how much they planned on gas lighting the government. I mean what he started sayin' was kind of a flex on our President. So I said, I'm gonna finna out what he has to say. He continued to talk about how the government was baddie and needed change. Then, I'm like this guy is the GOAT, he's on fire and deserves big ups. Then, I thought, I needed a moment to digest what he was sayin'. Sure, I seen what he sayin' about politics. But, then I thought to myself, well actually this guy has no flex on my life and I could care less. So I turned the dial back to my favorite sports talk radio show, Bill, John and myself.
I agree, the heart sign drives me nuts too. Not a fan at all.

Not really a phrase but "um" every other word drives me nuts! :LOL: 🤣 :p
I had a college professor one time that use to say OK every third or fourth word. It was wild how many times she would say it and made it almost impossible to follow anything else she was saying. We tracked how many times she said OK in one 50 minute class one day and I don't remember the number but it was astronomical. Something like 3 or 4 times a minute on average.

I had a college professor one time that use to say OK every third or fourth word. It was wild how many times she would say it and made it almost impossible to follow anything else she was saying. We tracked how many times she said OK in one 50 minute class one day and I don't remember the number but it was astronomical. Something like 3 or 4 times a minute on average.
Smoove get this, "OK" get old rill fast. Smoove had a chickie one time, well, several times, that did the same thing, y'all. Smoove was knockin' boots wit her regularificationally, tho, so Smoove was able to toleratify her, and boy, oh boy could she use her mouth partifications. Anyway, Smoove just had a glorious flashback to that Chickie...mad props, to her! Anyway, again, this professor should be knowin' better, but one must excuse it if she was HOT! SO, Smoove askifiyin' if she was SMokin' Hot? If so, Smoove give her the pass and would just give her Smoove's Special Salami. If she was not hot, Then Smoove would just walk up and tell her, "No more, "OKs", Chickie. You ain't HOT, or else Smoove would overlook it. You actually very disturbing to SMoove and you need to stop it. STOP IT!" Then Smoove would throw dog poo on her desk or podium and leave.
Smoove out!

Smoove get this, "OK" get old rill fast. Smoove had a chickie one time, well, several times, that did the same thing, y'all. Smoove was knockin' boots wit her regularificationally, tho, so Smoove was able to toleratify her, and boy, oh boy could she use her mouth partifications. Anyway, Smoove just had a glorious flashback to that Chickie...mad props, to her! Anyway, again, this professor should be knowin' better, but one must excuse it if she was HOT! SO, Smoove askifiyin' if she was SMokin' Hot? If so, Smoove give her the pass and would just give her Smoove's Special Salami. If she was not hot, Then Smoove would just walk up and tell her, "No more, "OKs", Chickie. You ain't HOT, or else Smoove would overlook it. You actually very disturbing to SMoove and you need to stop it. STOP IT!" Then Smoove would throw dog poo on her desk or podium and leave.
Smoove out!
If you're in to grandmothers that look like frumpy librarians, then she might have qualified as hot. Not my thing, but as Smoove might say, "different strokes be for different folks."