Participation numbers by weight (1/23/22)

WishYouWereHere

Tournaments counted are :
Fitch, Alder, Orange, Archbold, Wadsworth, Berkshire, Clyde, Mapleton, Athens, Miami Trace, North Union, Heath, Court House, & West Holmes.

106-152
113-147
120-181
126-207
132-218
138-215
144-193
150-203
157-197
165-198
175-198
190-188
215-218
285-211

Girls tournament numbers this year…

Tournament (# of schools attended)

Western Brown (21), Marysville (21), Olentangy Orange (25), Watkins Memorial (25), Ridgedale (33), & Mechanicsburg (58).

100-42
105-38
110-54
115-54
120-52
125-44
130-57
135-56
140-46
145-46
155-71
170-50
190-38
235-46

There were 183 schools that attended these tournaments.
A total of 694 girls wrestled.
That equals 3.8 girls per team.

My own curiosity.
I did not realize that there are 14 weight classes for the girls.
Will the OHSAA keep the same weights next year when they sanction it?
I would think so because that is the new NFHS weights for girls, and Ohio voted to keep the 14 weights. Plus. I don't think there is enough data for girls to justify less than 14. They are a good case of varied by region/event.

As a former Pennsylvania board member, I will tell you this. I have the inside scoop.

Pennsylvania has tremendous influence and presence with NFHS.

With the reduction to 13 weight classes in PA, NFHS is studying and watching closely. They are planning to copy PA and both PA and NFHS have a 5-7 year plan to further reduce to 12 weight classes.

As a former Pennsylvania board member, I will tell you this. I have the inside scoop.

With the reduction to 13 weight classes in PA, NFHS is studying and watching closely. They are planning to copy PA and both PA and NFHS have a 5-7 year plan to further reduce to 12 weight classes.

Interesting since when given the chance to vote on 12, 13, or 14 weight classes, Ohio coaches went with 14.

Highly doubt that will happen.
My inside scoop says 15 weight classes soon, to better match Ohio’s numbers… to coincide with the analysis by WishYouWereHere.
By the way, do your girls have more weights than your boys?

Interesting since when given the chance to vote on 12, 13, or 14 weight classes, Ohio coaches went with 14.
States, like Ohio and PA, do not have to follow NFHS guidelines.

That is why PA has 13 weight classess.

Ohio can still vote for 14, after NFHS reduces the weight classes to 13, and eventually to 12.

If Ohio's numbers keep dropping, I anticipate they will follow the National trend.

Ohio can still vote for 14, after NFHS reduces the weight classes to 13, and eventually to 12.

If Ohio's numbers keep dropping, I anticipate they will follow the National trend.
If Ohio votes on 14 and NFHS goes with 13 and eventually 12 why would Ohio choose to follow?

Highly doubt that will happen.
My inside scoop says 15 weight classes soon, to better match Ohio’s numbers… to coincide with the analysis by WishYouWereHere.
By the way, do your girls have more weights than your boys?

It is not going to 15.

Numbers are declining and forfeits are increasing nationwide.

NFHS already has plans for reducing weight classes to 13 and then to 12.

Ohio will not ever vote for 15 weight classes.

They want:

1. Shorter tournaments on Saturdays.
2. Shorter dual meets on school nights.
3. Fewer Forfeits
4. More competetive balance.

The upcoming plan by NFHS (and Pennsylvania) will considerably:

1. Reduce tournament time by hours.
2. Get kids home quicker on school nights.
3. Reduce forfeits and byes.
4. Increase competition.
5. Follow successful states, like Pennsylvania.

Your analysys, "wish you were here", is not scientific.
Your analysys, "wish you were here", is not what NFHS is looking at.

They (NFHS) are studying, and pleased with, Pennsylvania's leadership in this area.

Proud Vet
USA

I do know that someone has stated on here in the past that ohsaa follows nfhs as stated in the bylaws. Not sure if that is correct as I've not read them, but if it does, they will do what nfhs recommends.

It is not going to 15.

Numbers are declining and forfeits are increasing nationwide.

NFHS already has plans for reducing weight classes to 13 and then to 12.

Ohio will not ever vote for 15 weight classes.

They want:

1. Shorter tournaments on Saturdays.
2. Shorter dual meets on school nights.
3. Fewer Forfeits
4. More competetive balance.

The upcoming plan by NFHS (and Pennsylvania) will considerably:

1. Reduce tournament time by hours.
2. Get kids home quicker on school nights.
3. Reduce forfeits and byes.
4. Increase competition.
5. Follow successful states, like Pennsylvania.

Your analysys, "wish you were here", is not scientific.
Your analysys, "wish you were here", is not what NFHS is looking at.

They (NFHS) are studying, and pleased with, Pennsylvania's leadership in this area.

Proud Vet
USA
"Your analysys, "wish you were here", is not scientific.
Your analysys, "wish you were here", is not what NFHS is looking at." Exactly how can it be "scientific" when the average weight of a 16 -17 year old is around 135-140. Many tournaments JR HIGH States there are more competitors at the lowest two weights compare to the upper two. On top of that name the MVP's at the state tournament the last 50 years ? It's a diluted talent pool weight class due to MANY athletes opting for football only, additionally how many HVY actually weight 285? If you had a survey of "fans" my guess is less than 10% would choose a HVY match over the lightest two weights. ALL that should weigh into weightless selections.

Tournaments counted are :
Fitch, Alder, Orange, Archbold, Wadsworth, Berkshire, Clyde, Mapleton, Athens, Miami Trace, North Union, Heath, Court House, & West Holmes.

106-152
113-147
120-181
126-207
132-218
138-215
144-193
150-203
157-197
165-198
175-198
190-188
215-218
285-211

These are truly astonishing numbers! Any other big mysteries you want to spend time solving? Is the Earth flat? Is the sky blue?

These are truly astonishing numbers! Any other big mysteries you want to spend time solving? Is the Earth flat? Is the sky blue?

These things you seek may be answered on an episode of “Bill Nye the Science Guy”. You should check it out.
I’m amazed at how angry you get over “real” numbers.
We can solve some things together over a beer if you want.
Just let me know bub.

Last edited:
"Your analysys, "wish you were here", is not scientific.
Your analysys, "wish you were here", is not what NFHS is looking at." Exactly how can it be "scientific" when the average weight of a 16 -17 year old is around 135-140. Many tournaments JR HIGH States there are more competitors at the lowest two weights compare to the upper two. On top of that name the MVP's at the state tournament the last 50 years ? It's a diluted talent pool weight class due to MANY athletes opting for football only, additionally how many HVY actually weight 285? If you had a survey of "fans" my guess is less than 10% would choose a HVY match over the lightest two weights. ALL that should weigh into weightless selections.
Old142 is back… again.

We aren’t talking about “Jr High”… we aren’t talking about “fans”…
I just listed numbers to get you riled up, again.
You poor man.

Old142 is back… again.

We aren’t talking about “Jr High”… we aren’t talking about “fans”…
I just listed numbers to get you riled up, again.
You poor man.
First of all you'd have to have s sensible debate to get riled up.....so in your case your heading into a gunfight with a knife . Fool lol

The school night dual meet thing doesn't make sense to me. I mean, how much time is 15 minutes (2, 6 minute matches plus time in between) really when talking about kids staying out too late.

If it even goes 6 minutes.

And for the oddity that goes 3 OT's with blood, injury, and recovery...................is it really worth eliminating a weight class?

I have brought this up before...

At a December 5th tournament, an athlete can weigh 126.1 and wrestle 138. An athlete can weigh 138.1 and wrestle 150.

Sure they get marked as a competitor for the 150 pound or 138 pound weight class but are they truly weighing in at that weight class?

It is easier to fill the middle weights, hence a bell curve. I am a strong advocate for keeping 106 and 113 right where they are. No need to eliminate.

At a December 5th tournament, an athlete can weigh 126.1 and wrestle 138. An athlete can weigh 138.1 and wrestle 150.

Sure they get marked as a competitor for the 150 pound or 138 pound weight class but are they truly weighing in at that weight class?

It is easier to fill the middle weights, hence a bell curve. I am a strong advocate for keeping 106 and 113 right where they are. No need to eliminate.
106 & 113 should not be eliminated.
But, it is easier to fill 190, 215 & 285 than it is to fill 106, 113, & 120.

Absolutely. You can cherry pick a sampling of tournaments to skew the average of competitors per weight ...but there's no skewing the CDC national average. Per the chart below...throw in weight cutting 10-20 pounds which is common.
106 & 113 should not be eliminated.
But, it is easier to fill 190, 215 & 285 than it is to fill 106, 113, & 120.
Sure it is ...even though you're completely ignoring all forms of mathematical logic . Do tell after the 50% percentile where are these kids coming from( 190-215-285) ? Since of course until you get up to about the 90% percentile few are even weighing 190 at 17 years old , and of course we know many of those athletes ( % wise ) are playing football etc. Meanwhile about 40-50% of 15-16 year old males can cut 10-20 pounds and compete at one of the 3 lowest weights. HVY being 285 is the dumbest idea of all.

Height and Weight for Teen Boys
Age RangeHeightWeightPercentile
12-13 years 58-62 inches 85-100 lbs. 50%
14-15 years 63-66 inches 105-125 lbs. 50%
16-17 years 67-70 inches 130-150 lbs. 50%

The school night dual meet thing doesn't make sense to me. I mean, how much time is 15 minutes (2, 6 minute matches plus time in between) really when talking about kids staying out too late.

Agreed, a weight class or two will make zero difference for duals. We traditionally have the MS and JV dual before the Varsity. Anyone's guess on how many matches may take place at the MS and JV levels. Depends on what weights each school has and if any extra matches are wrestled. I can see the filling of lineups argument for duals.

I can see the argument for shortening tournament times, but how many large bracket-style tournaments does each school go to? And if schools are not filling lineups, does it really make that big of a difference?

This to me just points more to an argument that others have put forth on here before and that is to have fewer weight classes for duals and keep the larger number for tournaments.

I'd love to see the research that says that this is what is driving numbers in the sport down.

If a freshman is coming in thinking of 4 titles would he rather be a 160 going to 150 or a 116 gpong to 106?