Northeast D1, D2 and D3

Salad76

D1 Like most of the last decade or so now it will come down to Medina or Ignatius. They played another great state semi last year that might have seen extra time if not for a disallowed goal late. Hudson Hoover and Walsh are all threats to knock off Medina but beating Medina and then Ignatius in succession is a massive task.

D2 will be pretty wide open with a long list of potential candidates. Howland has become the dominant team in the region winning 3 of the last 4 years but will be in a bit of a rebuild. Perennial contenders Bay, Revere and CVCA will reload as all rely on deep numbers of club players. Also D3 contenders Cardinal Mooney and Norwayne are bumping up to D2 to add to the mix. Some of the best D2 programs in the state reside in the northeast so the playoffs will be a grind.

D3 was pretty easy last year, you just penciled in Mooney to the state semis. Well this year the Cardinals along with another regional semifinalist in Norwayne are off to D2. That leaves Wickliffe, Beachwood, Kirtland Berkshire Warren JFK and Badger amongst the district finalists left. Of those I know Badger loses an awful lot but JFK brings back almost all their notable starters. Without Mooney this area is wide open and should feature some battles to get out.

One other team in D3 of note from the northeast area is United Local. They are only 30 miles from the PA line but are somehow in the NW region. They return a ton of goals, including 46 from Maddox Andrea, and a lot of experience for a team that made the regional semis last year only to lose to state runner up Ottawa Hills.

Ignatius will be interesting to follow this year. Most seasons, they just reload, but last year's team was really heavy on seniors, more than most years. There's obviously no lack of talent in the other grades, but they're just not as proven in big games as the outgoing class. I can't see this group going undefeated like they usually do. Of course, that doesn't mean they're not always easily penciled in as one of the top teams every year.

d3 - united was in the nw region LY because they were in the west pod for the NE district, and picked the bracket that fed to the NW (Beachwood and Norwayne picked brackets that fed to the NE). Wickliffe loses 8 starters from a regional team. Kirtland returns all but two starters.

d3 - united was in the nw region LY because they were in the west pod for the NE district, and picked the bracket that fed to the NW (Beachwood and Norwayne picked brackets that fed to the NE). Wickliffe loses 8 starters from a regional team. Kirtland returns all but two starters.
I figured Kirtland would be loaded again sooner or later.

They looked really young when Crestview bounced them a few years ago.

I figured Kirtland would be loaded again sooner or later.

They looked really young when Crestview bounced them a few years ago.
the team that crestview bounced in 21 was the veteran group, and it was an unexpected game result.

the team that crestview bounced in 21 was the veteran group, and it was an unexpected game result.
Wow. I was there. Thought that would be the end of Crestview's run coming up against a program like that. Sure was wrong.

I thought they looked really small/young.

Great game! Howland can only get better with a much younger starting lineup. Shows Howland coaching is top notch. Score was 1-1.

Great game! Howland can only get better with a much younger starting lineup. Shows Howland coaching is top notch. Score was 1-1.
Very tight game. Neither team wanted to give up much so they didn't. Fair result for 2 teams that should meet again later on.

Some interesting results around with Poland knocking off Canfield and Hubbard beating Fitch.

Maybe the NE8 is better top to bottom than the AAC this year?

Very tight game. Neither team wanted to give up much so they didn't. Fair result for 2 teams that should meet again later on.

Some interesting results around with Poland knocking off Canfield and Hubbard beating Fitch.

Maybe the NE8 is better top to bottom than the AAC this year?
Tight game indeed, and I give Howland credit as I had penciled in a W for Mooney. Know a number of boys on the Howland squad so I was glad to see them get the Tie at least.

Surprised that Poland was able to beat Canfield, based on what I've seen of both teams this season.

It's interesting some of these big match ups happening early in the season vs. later on when the teams have figured out who they are.

A lot of good soccer being played in the tri county area right now.

lotta good games around here

Boardman/Hoban

Mooney/Canfield
Howland/Poland
Ursuline/United

Girard and Champion will be pretty interesting as well

Champion is super young but are already showing progress. In a few years they will be a force in D3 in the NE Region

lotta good games around here

Boardman/Hoban

Mooney/Canfield
Howland/Poland
Ursuline/United

Girard and Champion will be pretty interesting as well

Champion is super young but are already showing progress. In a few years they will be a force in D3 in the NE Region
Hoban 3 Boardman 0
Mooney 2 Canfield 2 Not sure details here but I know Canfield was up 2-1 late.
Howland 5 Poland 1
United 2 Ursuline 1
Girard 2 Champion 0

Hoban 3 Boardman 0
Mooney 2 Canfield 2 Not sure details here but I know Canfield was up 2-1 late.
Howland 5 Poland 1
United 2 Ursuline 1
Girard 2 Champion 0
Was shocked by the Howland Poland margin to be honest. JFK won 10-0 in a game that easily could've been double that score. They get a scrappy Rootstown team away this Thursday. I'll say it again, a lot of good soccer in the area right now.

Was shocked by the Howland Poland margin to be honest. JFK won 10-0 in a game that easily could've been double that score. They get a scrappy Rootstown team away this Thursday. I'll say it again, a lot of good soccer in the area right now.
Howland was up 3-0 after 20 minutes.

Poland got one right before the half which made things frisky for a while but they couldn't capitalize on the momentum.

Results of note from last night

Crestview 3 United 2

Crestviews first win of the year under their new coach. They are figuring things out and looking much better.
United had just beat Ursuline 2 nights earlier and they are no slouch. This might be a blip for them that they learn from.

Hubbard 2 Howland 2.

Howland got on the board first, Hubbard rallied to go up 2-1 and Howland evened it up late. Started cagey and then went back and forth in the second half. Two solid coaches with very good groups. Looks like Mooney, Hubbard and Howland are all pretty even and at the top of the D2 class around here.

Results of note from last night

Crestview 3 United 2

Crestviews first win of the year under their new coach. They are figuring things out and looking much better.
United had just beat Ursuline 2 nights earlier and they are no slouch. This might be a blip for them that they learn from.

Hubbard 2 Howland 2.

Howland got on the board first, Hubbard rallied to go up 2-1 and Howland evened it up late. Started cagey and then went back and forth in the second half. Two solid coaches with very good groups. Looks like Mooney, Hubbard and Howland are all pretty even and at the top of the D2 class around here.
JFK won 6-5 in a very odd game. They had a 5-2 lead when the goalie got knocked out of the game, and the backup was suspended for a redcard in prior match. So emergency goalie came in and Rootstown tied it up 5-5 before JFK hit the game winner with about 2 minutes to go. Very, very physical game.

JFK won 6-5 in a very odd game. They had a 5-2 lead when the goalie got knocked out of the game, and the backup was suspended for a redcard in prior match. So emergency goalie came in and Rootstown tied it up 5-5 before JFK hit the game winner with about 2 minutes to go. Very, very physical game.
Missed that one. I remember seeing it on the schedule earlier in the year and thinking that would be a good one.

Some interesting games around tonight

Canfield v Crestview: Crestview has been up and down and Canfield is winless after 4

Poland v Lakeview: Poland rounding into form while Lakeview is off to a nice start at 3-1

Fitch v Harding: These teams split last year, both winning on the road

Boardman v Howland: Boardman are yet to win while Howland tied their 3rd game of the year already against Marlington

Hubbard v Ursuline: Hubbard has survived a brutal early schedule and look strong. Ursuline's is off to a slow start and the schedule isn't getting any easier with Hubbard tonight and Marlington, United and STVM to follow

Girard v Lakeside: Girard look to improve on a 5-0-1 start and welcome winless Lakeside

Enjoy!

Scores from last night

Canfield 9 Crestview 0
Canfield gets their first win. Crestview just played 3 games in 3 nights.

Poland 2 Lakeview 2
Poland gets 2 goals late to rescue the tie. This is their second late comeback this year. Lakeview playing better than they have in several years.

Fitch 5 Harding 1
Normally low scoring Fitch exploded for 4 first half goals. Only Hardings 2nd loss this year.

Howland 6 Boardman 0
Howland also started strong getting a 3-0 lead before half. Boardman remains winless through 6 games.

Hubbard 2 Ursuline 1
Girard 12 lakeside 0

Mooney ties it but then JFK wins it late. Excellent game.

D3 #10 Warren JFK 3
D2 #16 Cardinal Mooney 2
FINAL

Scores of note from last night

Boardman 0 Badger 0
Boardman drops to (0-5-3) on the year. A rough start for the new coach. A solid result for undefeated D3 Badger who graduated a ton last year.

Howland 3 Fitch 0
Howland starts defense of the AAC crown with a big road win. Canfield comes calling on Thursday. Fitch are improved from last year but still struggle to score.

United 5 Ursuline 4
Ursuline (1-6-2) have struggled to score this season but led 2-0 early. Then United came all the way back to win it. They have now swept the Irish this season. Away to Badger next in what should be a good one.

Poland 3 Girard 0
Girard came in 6-0-1 after a light schedule early. Poland showed them NE8 conference play will not be as easy.

Hubbard 1 South Range 1
D3 Range always punches above their weight in the NE8. A very talented Hubbard team has struggled to score this season