Nick Saban Retiring

I think Dabo’s stance on the transfer portal is a nonstarter for Alabama.
The Clemson message boards are really not showing much angst over Dabo staying or going. 5 years ago, Dabo would have been the choice, not now.

Your other comment on Saban's retirement creating a ripple effect in CFB looks likely. If Lanning leaves Oregon, do the Ducks stay favorites to win the Big 10 in 2024. That and the portal news will be intriguing.

It was a great run! Alabama will now fade back into a normal program that will have a solid team here and there but nothing to the level Saban brought to the University.

I hated him as a Buckeye fan but as a fan college football wow, it was an honor to watch arguably the greatest college coach of all time. The dynasty he built had been unparalleled. Hope he enjoys his time at the lake with Miss Terry.
There really isn't any "arguably". He is the GOAT. But we are CFB fans, so we will argue about it.

Yeah, I think this has Miss Terry written all over it.

If the sport ever gets its act together and structures itself with a commissioner, he would be a great choice - pending Miss Terry's approval, of course. After about 6 months of him constantly being underfoot, she might be ready to tell him, "You need to get a job." I got that talk a while back. Lol

And he's 72! Probably wants to relax!
I firmly believe being a college football coach in the modern era is more difficult than being a HC in the NFL. The NFL guys might work 80-90 hr weeks in season, but they get some time off after the season. College is a non stop grind yr round, and it’s not sustainable. Something has to change with the calendar around recruiting & Bowl Season, and there needs to be a stronger framework and governance on the Portal and NIL.

Anyone that's in a good situation would be nuts to take this job.
I don't know if this an actual quote, but a friend of mine always text each other when a great coach steps down: "You don't want to be the guy who follows John Wooden. You want to be the guy who follows the guy who follows John Wooden."

I don't think that idea could possibly apply more that to someone taking over Bama from Saban.

Bama students in front of Denny-Bryant last night chanting “Anyone but Dabo!”

Word through the grapevine is Sark was Alabama’s first choice and he turned it down. Lanning was second, he’s accepted it and is informing his players this morning with an Alabama press conference tomorrow. If that’s true, I think Sark made the right choice. He’s got a good thing going at Texas right now. No need him to try to follow up Nick

Saban has said the Dolphins failure to sign Drew Brees was the driving factor to him leaving for Alabama
I remember reading a really good What If article a few years ago and it was centered around Brees ending up in Miami instead of New Orleans and the ripple effect it would have had on the NFL and college football. Saban desperately wanted Brees, front office did not. So Saban heads back to college and the rest is history.

A good bit of trivia here regarding Saban. When UC hired Rick Minter as its head coach way back when, the two other finalist were: Jim Tressell and Nick Saban.

Going to be very difficult for anyone to match what Saban has done at Bama. And he's done it the right, old school way. You don't hear the scandal stuff at Bama like you hear with alot of these other top programs.

Word through the grapevine is Sark was Alabama’s first choice and he turned it down. Lanning was second, he’s accepted it and is informing his players this morning with an Alabama press conference tomorrow. If that’s true, I think Sark made the right choice. He’s got a good thing going at Texas right now. No need him to try to follow up Nick
Interesting thought experiment for Lanning I'm sure. Money should not be a motivating factor here if true. Knight could easily match anything that Alabama could offer. And he seemed genuine when talking about his love for Eugene, and how happy he would be to raise his family there. It didn't seem contrived at all. Recruiting has massively spiked for them as well, but still such a long distance from the hotbed in the South. Perhaps he knows it will always be more of a challenge pulling a kid from Florida to the Pacific NW as opposed to Tuscaloosa. Lastly, there's the competitive desire to coach in the best conference. Maybe that's the drive? I don't know. After Saban, it almost seems like a lateral move now that Oregon has joined the Big Ten. But again, IMO, it could be the recruiting. He may be having to offer bigger bags to get these kids to campus. Now extrapolate that cost over the long-haul.

Now seeing reports that this isn't the case. Josh Pate seemingly confirmed that Lanning never left Oregon to visit Bama as was previously reported per CBS Sports - meaning it was likely a false report. Lanning 'liked' Pate's X post. Of course this really means nothing, and he could be the Tide coach by tomorrow. Lol.

Called it. He just had a different look about him this year.
NIL and transfer portal nonsense probably pushed him over the edge.
Like Roy Williams and Coach K in basketball NIL and the Portal have pushed these guys out. They don't want to deal with the BS of having to recruit 24/7, and not just recruit HS or the portal, but their own rosters.

Like Roy Williams and Coach K in basketball NIL and the Portal have pushed these guys out. They don't want to deal with the BS of having to recruit 24/7, and not just recruit HS or the portal, but their own rosters.
Saban said it was because of his age (72) and health issues nothing about portal or NIL. Very few HC's in major sports over 72 years of age.

Like I said over on the NFL board, my two favorite press conference coaches have retired within 24 hours. I am going to miss their gems.
I am going to miss the AFLAC commercials;)
1704991824176.png

DeBoer > Lanning. Washington was a sht-show when he took over and probably doesn't have near the resources Oregon has.

DeBoer is from SD, near Minnesota. Wonder if the Gophers would ever try to throw the kitchen sink at him. I think it's clear Fleck has plateaued.

At Oregon Lanning only needs to contend for NC's and the brass will be happy at bammy he will have to win NC's. My "guess" is it will be Kiffin or Dabo. Kiffin will likely never win a title at Ole Miss, and I doubt Dabo would say no. Personally doubt to many other big names would want to follow Nicky.

Edit: Maybe Norvell from FSU.

Last edited:
Now seeing reports that this isn't the case. Josh Pate seemingly confirmed that Lanning never left Oregon to visit Bama as was previously reported per CBS Sports - meaning it was likely a false report. Lanning 'liked' Pate's X post. Of course this really means nothing, and he could be the Tide coach by tomorrow. Lol.
Well now there’s a plot twist!

Saban said it was because of his age (72) and health issues nothing about portal or NIL. Very few HC's in major sports over 72 years of age.
I agree with the age and health issues but I swear I heard him say this morning that NIL also factored in. College football as we have long known it is apparently gone, perhaps for good.

I was never much of a Bama or SEC fan, but as a coach it's hard to deny that Saban changed defensive football from high school through the pros forever.

Just saw he tweeted out a minute long video with a big caption reading:
TEAM MEETING
Start of the 2024 season

He’s staying. Talking to Oregon players, rocking Oregon gear, repeats he loves Eugene and will be there as long as they have him.

TEAM MEETING
Start of the 2024 season

He’s staying. Talking to Oregon players, rocking Oregon gear, repeats he loves Eugene and will be there as long as they have him.
Likely got a bump in pay as will other HC's who decide to stick with their current schools like a Sarkisian.

TEAM MEETING
Start of the 2024 season

Literally just watched this too. :ROFLMAO: