New Stadium/Old Stadium Renovations?

OhioBobcatFan06

Since so much talk has been brought up about our need for a new/improved facility, I gotta ask, what would you prefer?

I see the advantages of a new facility at the new high school. But honestly, I would rather see improvements to the old stadium. The new high school gym with basketball shows the reasons why I favor such an idea... Our old gym was small, tight, and simply a tough place to come in and play. The stands were right on top of the floor... It was dark, and hot! Just a great HS basketball atmosphere IMO... The new gym is nice over at the new HS, no doubt about that. It doesn't have that "feel" to it though.

In building a new stadium I fear we would just do a cookie cutter that is seen all over the place (Green, Revere...... The list goes on and on...) Right now, our stadium is set up nicely with the hill and such providing for a unique place to play, and really providing a home field advantage for us.

I think that adding field turf at the old stadium, as well as additional stands is the better route to go then a new stadium. Maybe a more permanent structure then bleachers that we have now... 2700 seats now supposedly... Pushing it to 4000 is a must IMO... More wouldn't be wasted with the growth we are going through.

The thing I REALLY think would be cool is moving the track. A new track at the HS.... Eliminate the track there..... Then the field could be moved troward the home bleachers, which would not only put the field closer to the fans, but also allow for more stands on the away side which is currently limited by the hill down troward the Granger Ditch... Tell me that wouldn't make it cool!

Thoughts?

Last edited:

In building a new stadium I fear we would just do a cookie cutter that is seen all over the place (Green, Wadsworth, Revere...... The list goes on and on...)

Wadsworth is hardly a cookie cutter (unless they're building a new stadium that I'm not aware of.

[/QUOTE]The thing I REALLY think would be cool is moving the track. A new track at the HS.... Eliminate the track there..... Then the field could be moved troward the home bleachers, which would not only put the field closer to the fans, but also allow for more stands on the away side which is currently limited by the hill down troward the Granger Ditch... Tell me that wouldn't make it cool!

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Moving the track is a great idea. You have a wonderful bowl which can accomodate additional seating. The east end of the bowl is not currently utilized. The problem with your stadium is, and always will be, parking. If you add additional seats you still have nowhere to put all of the cars.

Don't crucify me for this, because obviously as an out-of-towner, I do not know the history and heritage of your stadium, but here is my take:

That stadium needs a complete overhaul. The visitor seats are tiny, the field is a mess, the visiting locker rooms are cramped and small, and the home side isn't even that nice/big/appealing. The press box could be bigger - I mean if you do anything at all to it, that will be a plus. It can only get better. If the Hornets are going to produce teams in the future like the one they have now, they need something better.

Keep the location, but gut it and start over from scratch.

Wadsworth isn't "cookie-cutter" nor is Green. You're talking about the two nicest facilities (hands down) in the league here! I in no way mean to come off as arrogant, I am just reciprocating many others' opinions.

Revere, on the other hand, can be called cookie-cutter. They copied the exact press box and home side bleachers (though not as big) as Green.

Wadsworth is hardly a cookie cutter (unless they're building a new stadium that I'm not aware of.

Moving the track is a great idea. You have a wonderful bowl which can accomodate additional seating. The east end of the bowl is not currently utilized. The problem with your stadium is, and always will be, parking. If you add additional seats you still have nowhere to put all of the cars.
I edited out Wadsworth.... I don't know what I was thinking at the time, they have a very nice stadium and its in a nice enviornment right off the town and on the park. By no means cookie cutter...

Don't crucify me for this, because obviously as an out-of-towner, I do not know the history and heritage of your stadium, but here is my take:

That stadium needs a complete overhaul. The visitor seats are tiny, the field is a mess, the visiting locker rooms are cramped and small, and the home side isn't even that nice/big/appealing. The press box could be bigger - I mean if you do anything at all to it, that will be a plus. It can only get better. If the Hornets are going to produce teams in the future like the one they have now, they need something better.

Keep the location, but gut it and start over from scratch.

Wadsworth isn't "cookie-cutter" nor is Green. You're talking about the two nicest facilities (hands down) in the league here! I in no way mean to come off as arrogant, I am just reciprocating many others' opinions.

Revere, on the other hand, can be called cookie-cutter. They copied the exact press box and home side bleachers (though not as big) as Green.
Green is a "cookie-cutter" stadium IMO. No doubt about it that it's nice.... And the gate to get in is admirable with how it is ajoined with the locker rooms... So a little something special there... Otherwise though it is just a nice field with big bleachers and a nice press box. The typical "new" stadium being built all over today. Nice, no doubt about it. Unique? Not really.

I do agree that Highland needs a complete overhaul. I very much want to see one here very soon, and hopefully the success this year will get the ball rolling a bit faster. I am just very much against moving the stadium to the new high school and building there when we have the chance to make the already great atmosphere at the games now that much better.

I agree with you both. The location of the current field is a thing of beauty. But the stands, field, fieldhouse, and parking are all issues. Everything except the parking can be fixed on the current site. How do you fix the parking though?

I agree with you both. The location of the current field is a thing of beauty. But the stands, field, fieldhouse, and parking are all issues. Everything except the parking can be fixed on the current site. How do you fix the parking though?
Parking is the lone problem with no easy solution in my eyes. That is the only thing that makes me think the school would decide to move the stadium to the new high school. I really have no ideas on how to fix that... The busing of fans from the new high school is a good idea, but in today's world probably a liability issue. :rolleyes: Could they get insurance on that? Even if so it still costs gas money which I'm sure would rather be avoided.

I know they might need to expand the bus garage soon, and because of that they may have to move the recently improved baseball field... Grr... If that happens that would open up a very good amount of parking I would think. Maybe the school would buy the field next to the bus garage, baseball, and JV soccer field (Across from the cemetary)... That would fix all of those problems, but who knows if they would do that or if it is even an option. Parking on Wilbur Rd is crazy. Glad they were against that for the playoff...

At Green they have that road that runs through the woods connecting the High School(?) and Middle School(?)... Something like that would be interesting to consider building through that forest (the landlab) in between the High School and Granger El. I know that area is restricted somewhat to building however, and I'm doubtful that something like that would even help the parking situation.

Well if you remove the aspect of history and view, moving the stadium to the practice area behind the library and next to the HS is the right spot. Parking is already there, and you can start from scratch making the fieldhouse suitable for both home and away squads. (You should see how nice Cloverleafs fieldhouse is!!!) Field turf which takes away maintenance costs and overuse, and the Middle school field goes to the middle school and youth program.

Parking is the lone problem with no easy solution in my eyes. That is the only thing that makes me think the school would decide to move the stadium to the new high school. I really have no ideas on how to fix that... The busing of fans from the new high school is a good idea, but in today's world probably a liability issue. :rolleyes: Could they get insurance on that? Even if so it still costs gas money which I'm sure would rather be avoided.

I know they might need to expand the bus garage soon, and because of that they may have to move the recently improved baseball field... Grr... If that happens that would open up a very good amount of parking I would think. Maybe the school would buy the field next to the bus garage, baseball, and JV soccer field (Across from the cemetary)... That would fix all of those problems, but who knows if they would do that or if it is even an option. Parking on Wilbur Rd is crazy. Glad they were against that for the playoff...

At Green they have that road that runs through the woods connecting the High School(?) and Middle School(?)... Something like that would be interesting to consider building through that forest (the landlab) in between the High School and Granger El. I know that area is restricted somewhat to building however, and I'm doubtful that something like that would even help the parking situation.

Parking opened to upper and lower lots and the library; all that would need to be added would be a lot-not necessarily even that big- put just past the library, like around the practice fields.

Hey Coach Stone...what does that say on your helmet?

I also think the real addition to keep an individuality to the new stadium would be something like endzone seating...and sorta like discussed earlier, except the opposite: Dont put a track in at the new field and just use the one at the MS...not having a track and getting closer to the field is really something special.

my mother-in-law wanted to watch a JV game. We ended up taking her to Revere because I just didn't see how we'd get her down the hill and up into the bleachers at Highland. She's 84 and has difficulty walking. The Revere field was level going in and actually had a ramp into the bleachers.

There's no doubt that improvements are needed, especially if Highland continues to do well and draw larger crowds.

I also think the real addition to keep an individuality to the new stadium would be something like endzone seating...and sorta like discussed earlier, except the opposite: Dont put a track in at the new field and just use the one at the MS...not having a track and getting closer to the field is really something special.

I agree, I HATE the track around our field. I wish they wouldve built the track around our freshman/MS field

turf and bigger stands are i think most fans ask for, everythimng else is jst a perk... also keep in mind if no hill students would be forced to sit in stands and most likely cheer.... als o iwouldnt mind using pinnacle

I am reviving this thread because after seeing the JV football game this Saturday, our field conditions are a disgrace. Here is my idea, which is similar to Bobcat's original idea -

1) Build a field with smaller stands behind the high school for soccer and sub-varsity football, and put a track around it.

2) Build new stands at the old stadium (both home and visitor) out onto the track and make it a football only (grass) stadium.

3) Down the road, if you can afford turf, you can move soccer and sub-varsity football back to the stadium.

This district is growing (should be D1 sometime in the next 10 years) and there is no reason we shouldn't have two playable fields. I don't see this as extravagent or an unreasonable expense on athletics for the district.

I like that idea... My only change would be regarding soccer:

The current soccer practice field, also where the JV soccer plays it's games is a pretty nice setup. The fan side of the stadium sits on a hill that leads up to the baseball field. The softball field is on one end separating the soccer field from 94. That field fares just as bad as the Stadium does right now, seeing as both the boys AND girls practice on it... Remember, the high school boys soccer program now has more kids then football..... That is A LOT of cleats on that field. And again, add in the fact that girls practice there, and the JV plays games there... It ends up bad by years end.

That said, I would actually like to see that become exclusively the soccer stadium for Highland. That would be better then a new field at the High School, IMO. Bleachers on the top of the hill facing the soccer field... (Currently some facing the baseball field). You could set up a concession stand/locker room/entrance gate that would serve soccer, baseball, and softball... I should add though that I have heard rumors that baseball could potentially get the boot from their current field because the bus garage needs more room as the district expands, and that is really the only place they can go...

The track at the HS could still be built, and the field there could be used as a much needed additional practice field for soccer.

Obviously, the levy this November is a huge key to what happens.

Salutations...a while since I posted...

My ideal senario is:

Build a soccer only field at the current Granger Elementary field. Build some bleachers into the hill, put turf in, add lights, a small press box with a PA system, all similar to what Walsh Jesuit currently has.

At the existing stadium, I would simply put turf in. Let's face it, 1/4 of our crowd is there to watch the band and they disperse after halftime and there is ample seating at most games. I love the hill and the lawn chairs the old time Highlanders bring which makes this a unique experience. Maybe I would rebuild the visitor bleachers, but so far this season, no one has come close to filling them. Wadsworth will this Friday, but I would wait until it really becomes an issue.

I was at a recent PTO meeting and spoke to a member of the school board. The new levy will not effect sports anytime soon, and is not intentioned in anyway to go toward fields, stadiums or otherwise. There will be no major improvements to the stadium, or talk of a new stadium in the next 5 plus years. So we will have to live with the poorly designed field house, the too small a track thus not allowing regional or sectional track meets. The mountain goat like hill that must be traversed to reach the stands, and the embarrassing visitor stands. Not to mention having to take a bus ride from the HS due to lack of parking! While it is all very quaint and folksy, it is less than acceptable for a D1 soon to be school that wants to retain a great coach. All this while Wadsworth is doing major building, Medina has turf , Copley has a new field turf surface.........the community deserves better.

No surprises there Coach relating to the funding and vision for the next 5 years. But I disagree with some of your opinions.

1. The fieldhouse was designed based on the funding that the Boosters felt they could secure. You can't buy a Cadillac on a Yugo budget.
  2. As I stated above, no one, except Wadsworth this past week, has come close to filling the visitors bleachers. And Wadsworth, with a 7 - 0 team(this is beyond me by the way) did not fill the bleachers. So why are the visitors' stands an issue?
  3. If the community deserves and wants better, it will figure out a way fund the upgrades to the facilities. Perhaps the values of the Highland Community differ from those of Medina, Copley and Wadsworth. I choose to live in Highland and have my children attend Highland Schools because of these values, not to keep up with the Jones'.

No surprises there Coach relating to the funding and vision for the next 5 years. But I disagree with some of your opinions.

1. The fieldhouse was designed based on the funding that the Boosters felt they could secure. You can't buy a Cadillac on a Yugo budget.
  2. As I stated above, no one, except Wadsworth this past week, has come close to filling the visitors bleachers. And Wadsworth, with a 7 - 0 team(this is beyond me by the way) did not fill the bleachers. So why are the visitors' stands an issue?
  3. If the community deserves and wants better, it will figure out a way fund the upgrades to the facilities. Perhaps the values of the Highland Community differ from those of Medina, Copley and Wadsworth. I choose to live in Highland and have my children attend Highland Schools because of these values, not to keep up with the Jones'.

Medina, Copley, and Wadsworth all have a relatively large tax base due to retail industry (Walmart, Kmart, Giant Eagle, Beuhlers, Home Depot, etc.) Same is true for Brunswick and Strongsville. Highland has a couple of gas stations. The values aren't different - the tax base is.

The field house issue is nothing to do with how it was constructed, but rather where. It should have been down on the field where the Aux. concession is. allowing more size and access.
Its not a matter of keeping up with the jones, but rather facilities that reflect what the Highland programs are about. Did you happen to catch how the visitor stands were in last years play-offs? The stadium while folksy and quaint, is no longer viable for a program that is growing. That is indisputable.
My children also attend Highland for the education, but it doesnt mean Im willing to accept a subpar facility for its athletes.
Did you realize that no advertisements/banners were allowed on the stadium until this year? Do you know the uproar created when they discussed expanding the home stands when the alumni found out they couldnt sit on the hill then? Its that kind of backwards small town thinking that has to be changed. There is money in Highland, and they could build the stadium. New school board members, Auckerman, and new blood in the boosters are working to change things. I am not slighting anyone here, I just want better for the players.

I'm with Bobcat on the hill aspect. Its a unique, original thing. I do agree with Coach that we need to change our thinking, but in moderation.
-Not having ad banners because we wanted to maintain our farm atmosphere was kind of silly
-In the hill instance there is no problem with expanding seating towards the end zone the band plays in
BUT; i think at this point the football field is a lost cause because of the setup-at this point-ad a crap load of seating and hold some regional track meets is the best that can be done
=the big advantage to having nice facilities is so you can get multiple uses out of them-were not gunna have any playoff football games bcuz we don't have turf or enough seating, etc.
Like Bobcat and I discussed, if you build it they will come-make facilities that can be multi-purposeful and hold playoff games and make extra revenue so additions to the high school can be made, because they will be needed very soon.
Just look at Massilon

I agre with this. The stadium is a lost cause. Its going to require a whole new facility with multiple uses (field turf) and have it generate funds to help support itself.

I'm with Bobcat on the hill aspect. Its a unique, original thing. I do agree with Coach that we need to change our thinking, but in moderation.
-Not having ad banners because we wanted to maintain our farm atmosphere was kind of silly
-In the hill instance there is no problem with expanding seating towards the end zone the band plays in
BUT; i think at this point the football field is a lost cause because of the setup-at this point-ad a crap load of seating and hold some regional track meets is the best that can be done
=the big advantage to having nice facilities is so you can get multiple uses out of them-were not gunna have any playoff football games bcuz we don't have turf or enough seating, etc.
Like Bobcat and I discussed, if you build it they will come-make facilities that can be multi-purposeful and hold playoff games and make extra revenue so additions to the high school can be made, because they will be needed very soon.
Just look at Massilon

I edited out Wadsworth.... I don't know what I was thinking at the time, they have a very nice stadium and its in a nice enviornment right off the town and on the park. By no means cookie cutter...

Green is a "cookie-cutter" stadium IMO. No doubt about it that it's nice.... And the gate to get in is admirable with how it is ajoined with the locker rooms... So a little something special there... Otherwise though it is just a nice field with big bleachers and a nice press box. The typical "new" stadium being built all over today. Nice, no doubt about it. Unique? Not really.

I do agree that Highland needs a complete overhaul. I very much want to see one here very soon, and hopefully the success this year will get the ball rolling a bit faster. I am just very much against moving the stadium to the new high school and building there when we have the chance to make the already great atmosphere at the games now that much better.

If you like the stadium configuration you really should check out Lake Blue Streak Alumni Stadium, Very Impressive.

Z-man

What stops them from utilizing the area on the west side of the field for parking? It looks like it would hold alot of cars.

What stops them from utilizing the area on the west side of the field for parking? It looks like it would hold alot of cars.

There is no place to put cars on the west side of the stadium. Unless you want to park in a forest. And the land west of the stadium probably does not even belong to the school. If you mean the north side (down below the hill behind the visitor's bleachers) - that is the practice field.