New Numbers in 2024-2025

Rankman55

Isn' t this one of the years that they do the numbers and realign division's? Are these numbers out yet? If not when will they be released?

Enrollment numbers finalized in late spring but the division cut off numbers for wrestling will not be out until August.

The PRELIMINARY enrollment numbers are out. The final base enrollment numbers are either approved this month or next month - next month is the next official Board of Directors meeting after the last one in February, though they normally hold a more closed door one at the state basketball tournament (which just happened).

The OHSAA website claims that fall divisions will be determined at the April Board of Directors meeting with winter divisions coming in either April or June.

The PRELIMINARY enrollment numbers are out. The final base enrollment numbers are either approved this month or next month - next month is the next official Board of Directors meeting after the last one in February, though they normally hold a more closed door one at the state basketball tournament (which just happened).

The OHSAA website claims that fall divisions will be determined at the April Board of Directors meeting with winter divisions coming in either April or June.
A lot of TBD numbers there.

The TBD's are mostly your urban schools - along with some of the multi high school school districts - because of certain procedures around how enrollment is counted.

Just checked with my Columbus connection. The numbers don't reflect a need for a fourth division; not happening.
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

A few AD’s I’ve talked to think we are headed to 4 divisions in a year (not next season). Will the OHSAA even mess with redivisioning teams only to then have to do it again?
I've been hearing the same thing and posted the question on a different thread...

Does anyone know how PA splits up their divisions? Is it even, like 300 in each division, or something different?

I don't see why the idea of a 4th division whether it is or is not going to be added will affect this routine procedure... I don't think it's a very time intensive process once the numbers are calculated.

What I'm more interested in, if I'm remembering correctly that it's now possible, choose to compete up a division, and if so does that affect the breakdown?

Personally I'd keep it 3 divisions unless we see a huge influx of numbers.

As Jim B. noted, PA has two divisions for wrestling split in half for each. Schools in PA can opt up from AA (small) to AAA (big) -- Waynesburg and Bethlehem Catholic both have opted up into AAA.

In terms of Ohio, OHSAA is supposedly putting on the referendum ballot for May the ability for schools to opt up to the big-school division only for a given sport. It would have to be done w/in two weeks of the start of the season, and not impact all other schools statewide. On the other hand, in PA the opt up has to be done at the start of the enrollment cycle (two years), is in effect for the whole enrollment cycle and influences the overall division composition -- it's sport-specific as well (like Ohio's would be).

As Jim B. noted, PA has two divisions for wrestling split in half for each. Schools in PA can opt up from AA (small) to AAA (big) -- Waynesburg and Bethlehem Catholic both have opted up into AAA.

In terms of Ohio, OHSAA is supposedly putting on the referendum ballot for May the ability for schools to opt up to the big-school division only for a given sport. It would have to be done w/in two weeks of the start of the season, and not impact all other schools statewide. On the other hand, in PA the opt up has to be done at the start of the enrollment cycle (two years), is in effect for the whole enrollment cycle and influences the overall division composition -- it's sport-specific as well (like Ohio's would be).
Oooh!! Oooh!!! I have a question…
What does “not impact all other schools statewide” mean?
Because, let’s say… um… Graham (just a random school I picked out of a hat) makes the cut to DIII (or doesn’t) and wants to bump up to DII (or DI),,, wouldn’t that impact schools statewide?
Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Oooh!! Oooh!!! I have a question…
What does “not impact all other schools statewide” mean?
Because, let’s say… um… Graham (just a random school I picked out of a hat) makes the cut to DIII (or doesn’t) and wants to bump up to DII (or DI),,, wouldn’t that impact schools statewide?
Or am I missing something?
Well, one thing you missed is that the school can bump up ONLY to D1.
As the rules were written, no other move is possible.

I don't see why the idea of a 4th division whether it is or is not going to be added will affect this routine procedure... I don't think it's a very time intensive process once the numbers are calculated.

What I'm more interested in, if I'm remembering correctly that it's now possible, choose to compete up a division, and if so does that affect the breakdown?

Personally I'd keep it 3 divisions unless we see a huge influx of numbers.
The real question is, should Ohio go to 2 divisions. Pennsylvania is a larger state than Ohio, and has been proven over the past years to be a powerhouse in Highschool wrestling.