NBA thread

It really has been pure misery being a Pistons fan since 2009. Going to set the record for most consecutive regular season losses

It really has been pure misery being a Pistons fan since 2009. Going to set the record for most consecutive regular season losses
there isn't just one, but 3 awful teams in the NBA this season, which is odd. Right there with the Pistons are the Spurs with 4 wins (they were 2-3 after 5 games) and Washington with 5 wins. Generally how the NBA works, is even bad teams get hot one or two games every other week and win some games, players sit so you may play a decent team with a couple of starters out. The other oddidity is that the Pistons and the Spurs have good coaches. The Pistons gave a King's ransom for Monty Williams and he just can't get it done. Cade Cunningham is what in season 2 or 3? Jaden Ivey has been kind of disappointing. Then with the Spurs you have arguably the best coach in the last 25 years in Gregg Popovich. Even though Washington has won a few more games, they may be worse off that the other two because they really don't have any building pieces. This is where stats can be misleading because these teams all have guys who have good stats and high averages, but they are not winning payers. Kyle Kuzma?

Bulls screw up Ring of Honor Night. Fans disgrace themselves.

This is an absolute embarrassment. I just can't believe that there is so little common courtesy today. I don't care if you don't like the guy, he's dead, and you boo his widow?? Just classless.

This is an absolute embarrassment. I just can't believe that there is so little common courtesy today. I don't care if you don't like the guy, he's dead, and you boo his widow?? Just classless.
They weren’t booing the widow, obviously. They were booing the graphic of Krause. When the screen changed over to the widow, you could tell most of the booing stopped.

They weren’t booing the widow, obviously. They were booing the graphic of Krause. When the screen changed over to the widow, you could tell most of the booing stopped.
Of course they were not booing her, but still, it's absolutely insane how rude and insensitive people are. Even if you didn't like the guy, that's not the place to do that. Just be quiet you don't have to applaud. But to boo??? It's not like the Bulls didn't win.

I saw that three of the top nine individual scoring games in league history have occurred in 2023 or 2024. It appears no defense is being played in the regular season.
This may have some truth, but the Spurs have no one to match up with Embiid. Webby is too much of a string bean and what is the 6'8" Jeremy Sochan supposed to do.

I saw that three of the top nine individual scoring games in league history have occurred in 2023 or 2024. It appears no defense is being played in the regular season.
A couple of thoughts. Yes, I'd say defensive intensity isn't great in the regular season. Some of these games look like pickup games at the local Y. You would think there would be some pride in not allowing guys to just score at will but that's not out there anymore either. I also feel today like no other, when a player is having a big game, his teammates feed him the ball over and over. A Sixer player got booed in the 4th quarter when he took a shot. Now to Embiid's credit, he got most of his points on mid range jumpers, not layups. He's easily the highest skilled big man in basketball, possibly ever. He scored over Wemby many times with jump shots, not just powering to the basket.

Doncic with 73 points tonight. The modern NBA is a joke.
The modern NBA is what it is because we as fans and the media have put too much emphasis on winning titles over just being great players/ teams. There are alot of great players who never won a title, and yet we constantly use that as a barometer for greatness. It's a team game, it takes more than one person to win championships.
Therefore, we have an unbalanced way we look at these guys. They have plenty of money so there's no incentive to just play. Winning titles is the way to judge greatness and players want to be fully healthy for the playoffs.

Interesting points across the NBA spectrum! The records set by Embiid and Doncic highlight how the league is evolving. Meanwhile, the situation with fans and team management is always a delicate balance. The Lakers without LeBron and Davis show that surprises are still possible. Exciting midseason ahead!

Interesting points across the NBA spectrum! The records set by Embiid and Doncic highlight how the league is evolving. Meanwhile, the situation with fans and team management is always a delicate balance. The Lakers without LeBron and Davis show that surprises are still possible. Exciting midseason ahead!
Oh I wish I had the same optimism. I'm a Sixers fan and unfortunately the annual Embiid injury bug rose it's ugly head again. He had knee surgery today and will be evaluated in a month. I'd say it will be a long shot if he can come back and be effective come playoff time. He's simply a guy who's a great talent, but he can't stay healthy.

That's really tough to hear about Embiid, especially considering his impact on the team. It's always challenging when key players face injuries, but hopefully, the Sixers can find a way to adapt and stay competitive.

Knicks make a big move in trading for Bojan and Burks from the Pistons.

Let's see if this is the Knicks team that can finally break through and make the Eastern Conference finals for the first time since 2000.

Bucks are an interesting team right now. Not sure if the current back slide is due to them not being engaged in the regular season or if the truley have chemistry issues. Giannis' hand pick coach was just jetosined in favor of a guy that
Knicks make a big move in trading for Bojan and Burks from the Pistons.

Let's see if this is the Knicks team that can finally break through and make the Eastern Conference finals for the first time since 2000.
Did the NBA rig this trade for the NYC market? Knicks got some nice pieces for basically not much and no draft capital.

Sixers fan here.... I really like what the Sixers did today. Now the caveat is that nothing really matters if Joel Embiid can't come back at least 90-95%. Sixers acquire Buddy Hield and Cameron Payne in separate deals with the Pacers and Bucks. Pat Beverly goes to Milwaukee and a group of players, including Marcus Morris, Furkan Korkmaz and Danuel House go to the Pacers. The Sixers are trying to get more shooters/ scorers. Hield and Payne are those guys. I hate losing Pat Bev, his edge is needed, but he can't shoot the 3 ball anymore and this team needs floor spacers and drivers.

So the Sixers look like...

Maxey
Tobias Harris
Kelly Oubre
D'Anthony Melton
Nick Batum
Paul Reed
Robert Covington
Jaden Springer
Paul Reed
Mo Bamba

Add
Buddy Hield
Cam Payne

This is shaping up to be more like a Nick Nurse type team with length, shooters and depth.

Sixers pick up a nice road win vs. one of the hottest teams in basketball in Cleveland last night. The pickups have been very good. Buddy Hield was great last night, Cam Payne has been solid. Kyle Lowery hasn't even appeared yet. Kelly Oubre has been good all year. So with these additions, this team may just be able to tread water until hopefully Embiid can return before the playoffs. And more importantly, they can play enough minutes without him that when he does return, the Sixers can really manage his minutes. I was a little skeptical of the hiring of Nick Nurse, but he's been great. He coaches circles around Doc Rivers.
One of the toughest things to do as a coach in the NBA is to get guys to play hard consistently, and the Sixers play hard.
When Lowery gets on board and a few guys get healthy, you'll have 10-12 guys that Nurse can slide in minutes, the gap from the first / second units will be minimal. Darrell Morey has assembled a nice squad.