Most Wins Against an Opponent without a Loss?

Flbackyard

I was exploring the excellent Ohio High School Football database today and noticed that Marion Local is 30-0 against Fort Recovery. Anyone know if there's a larger number of wins for a school against another without a loss?

EDIT - After posting I had the idea to look at Vanlue and see who their worst negative opponent is. The database shows them 0-48 against Arlington. Considering the database is "only" 51 seasons worth of games I'm guessing that's at least the worst on there. But there could hypothetically be worse in the full history of Ohio High School Football.

Last edited:

I may be wrong about this but to my knowledge Vanlue is currently 0-55 against the Red Devils of Arlington.

I was exploring the excellent Ohio High School Football database today and noticed that Marion Local is 30-0 against Fort Recovery. Anyone know if there's a larger number of wins for a school against another without a loss?

EDIT - After posting I had the idea to look at Vanlue and see who their worst negative opponent is. The database shows them 0-48 against Arlington. Considering the database is "only" 51 seasons worth of games I'm guessing that's at least the worst on there. But there could hypothetically be worse in the full history of Ohio High School Football.
On Ft Recovery's behalf, can you imagine starting a football program from scratch in the midst of the established MAC power houses ? Secondly, can you name me another program that has never won even a part of their league's football championship, yet has a state championship ?

Last edited:
On Ft Recovery's behalf, can you imagine starting a football program from scratch in the midst of the established MAC power houses ? Secondly can you name me a program that has never won even a part of their league's football championship, yet has a state championship ?
Fort winning a State title is one of the all-time great feel good stories. They'd have done some damage in a lot of leagues over the years.

On Ft Recovery's behalf, can you imagine starting a football program from scratch in the midst of the established MAC power houses ? Secondly, can you name me another program that has never won even a part of their league's football championship, yet has a state championship ?
New Bremen won the MAC in 1988 otherwise they'd be in the same boat. Anna's only MAC title is the year they won their loan state title. I'm sure there is another one out there but I'm unaware of them.

Aside from Independents for obvious reasons I'd have to imagine the MAC has by far the most schools with more State Titles than conference titles.

No shade towards Fort Recovery at all. When we started our program (Fort Loramie) we were lucky enough to catch a down Fort Recovery our first year in 2005. Aside from catching some down years for them and St. Henry and periodic wins against Minster and New Bremen, we've struggled mightily against the MAC. In terms of playoff teams, we lost our first 11 playoff games to MAC teams before finally beating St. Henry and Minster in the playoffs last year (before losing to New Bremen) to move our record against the MAC in the playoffs to 2-12. Granted the Redskins are 11-1 against non MAC opponents in the playoffs. More often than not, the MAC loss ends up being to the state champion.

I say all that to say, yes I completely understand the impossible situation they were placed into.

New Bremen won the MAC in 1988 otherwise they'd be in the same boat. Anna's only MAC title is the year they won their loan state title. I'm sure there is another one out there but I'm unaware of them.
I want to say Versailles has only won the league title one time since joining in 2001, and they have two state titles in that span.

In the CHL I had always seen/heard that Finneytown had never beaten Wyoming in football, though the database is showing a win for Finneytown in 1990. If that's incorrect then Finneytown is 0-50-1 since 1972 vs Wyoming

100%

The year before we entered the MAC in football (1994) was our first and only winning season until 2014 with a record of 6-4. We joined way too quickly. We needed another 2 or 3 years to build confidence on momentum. Learn how to win, and build that culture and expectation.
Now we are stuck in a purgatory of underdog mentality against any MAC foe not named Parkway, and I believe that is echos of the premature choices we made.

Also, I'll addd that there was a year or two, Pre-Goodwin, that was a 1 score difference game against the Fliers. And, hot-take, the 2009 season was a winnable game for the Indians under better and seasoned leadership. But hey, Abe Simpson yelling at clouds I guess.

Arlington has not lost to Vanlue since 1965 the 1st year of the BVC.

The data I saw shows Arlington beating Vanlue 14-6 in 1965. That's why I said I thought they were 0-7 vs Arlington prior to 1972.

Blanchard Valley Conference Archives

Look under BVC scores by year. Oct. 28, 1965 scores

PS:

If you look under the Individual School Info page for Vanlue it shows them as 0-51 against Arlington. The archive is from 1965 through the 2017 season as the Scores by Year page shows. Vanlue has lost all 4 games against Arlington since then, they did not play each other in 2020, so if the 0-51 record was correct then Vanlue is now 0-55 against Arlington.

Last edited:
Seems to be fairly clear that Arlington - Vanlue is the answer with at least 55 wins to 0 loses. Anyone know if there is a mismatch of that calber that features two decent to good programs? Obviously that is subjective but something of the caliber of the Marion - Fort Recovery 30-0 is what I'd be interested in. Fort Recovery is a good enough program to have a state title after all.

Different sport, but Lima Shawnee was 0-61 against Lima Bath in girls basketball until Shawnee beat them in 2021.

Different sport, but Lima Shawnee was 0-61 against Lima Bath in girls basketball until Shawnee beat them in 2021.
Wow, that's rough.

I looked up Fort Loramie as our girls basketball program is pretty dominant while some league members are the opposite. In a record book dating 2013 it is 86-7 Loramie over Fairlawn. Two conference games a year means it's a minimum of 108-7 but I'm pretty sure there were a few tournament games in their two.

Fort is the only with a State Title and no conference championships. Minster has never won it outright, but has 3 State Titles, Bremen is similar with 2 state titles and no outright MAC championships. Everyone knows how dominate Coldwater and Marion Local have been, but St. Johns having 10 MAC titles and 8 outright in 38 seasons is really impressive to me. Versailles has had their turn around, maybe it can be St. Johns and ours next lol.

Here are some impressive streaks I found from the Canton-Akron area. This is all since 1972.

Manchester is 16-0 vs East Canton.
Lake is 15-0 vs Sandy Valley.
Dover is 13-0 vs Indian Valley
Lake is 12-0 vs New Philadelphia.
Jackson is 12-0-1 vs Marlington

Here are some impressive streaks I found from the Canton-Akron area. This is all since 1972.

Manchester is 16-0 vs East Canton.
Lake is 15-0 vs Sandy Valley.
Dover is 13-0 vs Indian Valley
Lake is 12-0 vs New Philadelphia.
Jackson is 12-0-1 vs Marlington
Philly was in the federal league back in the day. No chance. I. Valley has seldom had a chance against Dover. Some of that was when I. Valley was in the ECOL.

The data I saw shows Arlington beating Vanlue 14-6 in 1965. That's why I said I thought they were 0-7 vs Arlington prior to 1972.

Blanchard Valley Conference Archives

Look under BVC scores by year. Oct. 28, 1965 scores

PS:

If you look under the Individual School Info page for Vanlue it shows them as 0-51 against Arlington. The archive is from 1965 through the 2017 season as the Scores by Year page shows. Vanlue has lost all 4 games against Arlington since then, they did not play each other in 2020, so if the 0-51 record was correct then Vanlue is now 0-55 against Arlington.
Thorough research. Well done.

Yep, I can imagine it, as Olentangy Berlin just opened 6 years ago in the midst of powerhouses Olentangy and Olentangy Liberty, Westerville South and Central. They made the playoffs year 2 (old format with only 8 teams) and won a league title their 5th year (and if they win tonight will win another one).

Bettsville (now defunct) was WINLESS against the entire Midland Athletic League (now defunct) schools since they joined in 1985 in girls basketball. They finally beat North Baltimore in I want to say 2000 or 2001. I believe that was their only win until the school closed and merged with Old Fort in 2014.

I was exploring the excellent Ohio High School Football database today and noticed that Marion Local is 30-0 against Fort Recovery.
In addition to never having beaten ML, FR has also never beaten Coldwater (I believe that's right - not entirely sure).

The Fort's record against Coldwater is probably about 0-24 (roughly) - there have been several times that the Indians have not played the Cavs due to the MAC's schedule rotation over the last 15 or so years, a set up in which each team does not play a particular league opponent for two consecutive seasons.

I'm sure Atwater Waterloo has a long losing streak to Mogadore. Probably back to about 1975??
Mogadore was one of the teams I looked at last night when trying to find the longest streaks. I believe the Cats were 40-1 vs Waterloo from 1976-2016 with the lone loss coming sometime in the late 1980s.

Also, I'll addd that there was a year or two, Pre-Goodwin, that was a 1 score difference game against the Fliers. And, hot-take, the 2009 season was a winnable game for the Indians under better and seasoned leadership. But hey, Abe Simpson yelling at clouds I guess.
Believe it was 1997 - score was 7 - 6. The game that was known as "Thank God we were playing Fort Recovery".

Another one. Union City Mississinawa Valley is 4-40 against Tipp City Bethel, 4-41 against Arcanum, and 1-44 against Ansonia.