More Houses Near Elder Razed

I 100% agree. Please keep the houses. I understand buying the houses, but possibly the house can be turned into another office space possibly for guidance counselors.

In almost every article about The Pit is the houses surrounding it.
I have looked at a few of those house and some of them are in pretty rough shape. Sometimes it is just cheaper to tear them down then repair.

I have looked at a few of those house and some of them are in pretty rough shape. Sometimes it is just cheaper to tear them down then repair.
They could be using some of these houses for their Trade classes....teaching kids carpentry, electrical work, plumbing, HVAC etc.

They could be using some of these houses for their Trade classes....teaching kids carpentry, electrical work, plumbing, HVAC etc.
Elder already has a house that's used for trade classes. It's next to the Gilsey gate. https://goo.gl/maps/Ky89i2aAhnm9s5Tf6

Also, I just noticed that Elder expanded the parking lot near Gilsey to included the lots that used to be 1122 and 1124 Gilsey Ave. It looks like that work was done in November 2020 based on the date on Google Street View. https://goo.gl/maps/J5YBsTihMhkPdrQr6

Here are some recent drone photos of the expanded parking lot along Gilsey Ave and Panther Court. You can also see the new gate at Panther Court after Elder purchased part of the street from the city.
o8sXH0m.jpg

This photos shows off some of the recent work done at the Grotto and Rudemiller Commons including new steps between those areas.
eXCDB41.jpg

Here's a before image from Google Maps:
pjQzvKI.png

It looks like 1134 would be a desirable purchase. Is there room for a pool for the swim team and maybe a community fitness center? Indoor practice field?

It looks like 1134 would be a desirable purchase. Is there room for a pool for the swim team and maybe a community fitness center? Indoor practice field?
1134 is the property owner who really doesn’t like Elder? I know been a guy talked about before on here that will hold out because he doesn’t like Elder. Campus expansion and the completed work looks great!

1134 is the property owner who really doesn’t like Elder? I know been a guy talked about before on here that will hold out because he doesn’t like Elder. Campus expansion and the completed work looks great!
Years ago I was told the 1134 owner was not a friend of Elder, yet Mojo knows him personally and quickly jumped to his defense.

There’s a lot of reasons to not sell, I can’t see not liking Elder being one of them. Maybe he’s figuring the longer he waits the more money he’ll get, just a thought

Whoever owns 1138 could make some money Friday nights on parking.
Every empty lot in the screenshot from Google Maps is owned by Elder. The CAGIS maps/Auditor's site displays 3900 Vincent Ave. as one contiguous parcel of property which includes many of the houses along Regina Avenue, Gilsey Avenue and Panther Court.

Attachments

• Image 7.png
    Image 7.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 50
Years ago I was told the 1134 owner was not a friend of Elder, yet Mojo knows him personally and quickly jumped to his defense.
Just remember hearing some things about this property owner in the past. Could get more for his property in this market then ever possible before?

Just remember hearing some things about this property owner in the past. Could get more for his property in this market then ever possible before?

The zillow estimate is $80,000. I'm sure that is quite a bit more than any other time in the last 5 years. Elder may even be willing to pay more than that if they wanted it bad enough. He should sell, but he's lived there a long time and who are we to say he should move out of what he calls home.

The zillow estimate is $80,000. I'm sure that is quite a bit more than any other time in the last 5 years. Elder may even be willing to pay more than that if they wanted it bad enough. He should sell, but he's lived there a long time and who are we to say he should move out of what he calls home.
Never gave an opinion on this property owner selling or staying in his home. I just remember hearing about a property owner on that street and Elder before now. Oh well, I reckon time will tell.

Exactly. I have never been in his home but know people who have and have said it is a grand old Victorian home (actually I believe it is more Edwardian). He has lived there for quite some time and has been a good steward of that and his other Price Hill properties. How can others ascribe nothing other than a mercenary motive for him to stay in that home?

He is an Elder grad, he has worked with Elder on a number of projects over the years and he is a friend of Elder and the Price Hill communities.

Couldn’t an intermediary make an offer on the house, then turn around & sell the prop to Elder?

I think we might be talking about different homes. 1134 Panther Court is a small one story home. 1129, 1131 and 1133 are all two/three story homes that I assume would be considered Edwardian. The 1129 and 1131 were built in 1902 and 1133 was built in 1905. All three appear mostly identical via satellite view except for an extra dormer on 1133.

(Information is from the HamiltonCountyAuditor.org site.)

I think we might be talking about different homes. 1134 Panther Court is a small one story home. 1129, 1131 and 1133 are all two/three story homes that I assume would be considered Edwardian. The 1129 and 1131 were built in 1902 and 1133 was built in 1905. All three appear mostly identical via satellite view except for an extra dormer on 1133.

(Information is from the HamiltonCountyAuditor.org site.)
My apology. I have been referring to the owners of 1129 as being a good friend to the Elder community and Price Hill as a whole.

Ma
My apology. I have been referring to the owners of 1129 as being a good friend to the Elder community and Price Hill as a whole.
Maybe that explains it. I've been told 1134 is anti-Elder. I mentioned this years ago and you took exception and let me know as much.

Seems like we were talking about two different home owners (y)

Last edited:
How can you live literally as close to campus as possible (almost on campus), and be anti-Elder? You didn’t realize a large high school was in your backyard when you bought it?

How can you live literally as close to campus as possible (almost on campus), and be anti-Elder? You didn’t realize a large high school was in your backyard when you bought it?
To each his/her own. Lots of people, and I'm sure neighbors, are anti-Elder. We don't know his back story.

However, my money is on Elder to outlast him in that neighborhood.

The school was there when this guy bought the property but common sense tells me the Schools footprint wasn’t as big as it is now and apparently growing. Maybe the property owner needs to live on/near the bus line, maybe he walks to work. Maybe the property owner grew up in that house and has had what he perceives as issues from Elder or the student body while he has owned the house. I still think this guy could get more money now than ever for his property but that’s totally his decision to make.

The school was there when this guy bought the property but common sense tells me the Schools footprint wasn’t as big as it is now and apparently growing. Maybe the property owner needs to live on/near the bus line, maybe he walks to work. Maybe the property owner grew up in that house and has had what he perceives as issues from Elder or the student body while he has owned the house. I still think this guy could get more money now than ever for his property but that’s totally his decision to make.
If Elder really wanted to squeeze him, they could. I’m sure there’s enough connection in local govt that this could become an eminent domain case. It wouldn’t be good PR for Elder to go through with it, but they can always use that as a bargaining chip.

If Elder really wanted to squeeze him, they could. I’m sure there’s enough connection in local govt that this could become an eminent domain case. It wouldn’t be good PR for Elder to go through with it, but they can always use that as a bargaining chip.
I think that is unlikely - look at the house right next to Oak Hills. From what I heard, they have been a thorn in Oak Hills' side for years. Oak Hills has tried to get that house for years and they refused.

Elder could “squeeze him” they could also be offering or have offered 2 times what the property is worth. I agree with Mojo, what’s the public use? Don’t think eminent domain could apply in this instance.

Elder doesn’t deserve the house just bc we want them to have it.
If and when the time is right and the man is ready to move on, let’s hope he gives Elder a chance.

Elder doesn’t deserve the house just bc we want them to have it.
If and when the time is right and the man is ready to move on, let’s hope he gives Elder a chance.
I don’t want him to be homeless or out on the streets, but if he’s not selling to stick it to Elder, I don’t have much sympathy for him.

Doesn't seem a stretch given what OSU has done in Columbus.
That’s my point, if as an institution, you have enough power, “public utility” can be liberally applied. Elder doesn’t carry as much weight as Ohio St does in Cbus, but there’s enough connections to ppl higher up in the city that could possibly make this happen.