Mid-State League ‘23-24

The Dock

Persona Non Grata
Worth starting a new thread, eventually. For various reasons, I won’t be as active or interested in the boys’ side this upcoming year. Don’t let that stop you all for discussing among yourselves.

Rather than write an OP like years past going over team-by-team, I’ll nod toward two points of interest to help start this off: replacing graduating seniors, and the coaching changes in Fairfield County.

Go. (cc: @Snowman8 @bballfan48 @JokesOnYou )

Last edited:

It was announced this weekend that there will be a coaching change at Fisher. What happens from here?
What comes after this is stepping into the terra incognita of a coaching search. I’m sympathetic to the current leadership at the school in the days that lie ahead, primarily because the process of finding a successor boys’ basketball coach is generally a very difficult venture. In this situation, because we are several weeks into summer, there is a dilemma of ‘more sand continuing to pile in the bottom of the off-season hourglass’ but also a generally declining number of external applicants. A concurrent, if not larger matter at hand is identifying the extent to which the short-term (18-24-36 months) state of the basketball program is of impact to the short-term (same time frame) state of the school, as well as its future when measured on a long-term apparatus that considers the various means to the established and ideal ends (enrollment?).

In my time, I’ve seen FC go through however many changes at the BBK head coach chair. I’ll refrain from characterizing any particular search or hire in specific connotations of “good” or “bad”, at least publicly. What I will say is I’ve seen the best laid plans of mice and men go awry, and I’ve seen how a really puzzling long-odds pursuit poured cement over a fertile situation… only for a metaphorical rose to sprout from beneath that concrete. And I’ve seen situations that fall in between; some good and some not-so-good. If there’s anything I’ve gleaned and come to learn over time, it’s that there are five key elements (all of which are important, but they are not coequally important nor evenly distributable or evenly extractable) to the equation of onboarding a basketball coach to FC and their tenure after the first year: 15% coaching acumen/X’s and O’s, 25% interpersonal skills on the part of the coach (tied together by an organizational mindset and having the stakeholder-responsiveness at a place where it is imperative), 30% vision (one that is conceptual, realistic and calibrated by both the coach and the school), 15% relationships as a matter of working in conjuncture with other programs and interests at a school with a student-to-sport ratio of ~8.5:1 (let alone what is now one of the smallest schools in the entire state) and 15% the will of the parents (in the framing of parental cooperation and support.)

I offer the following words of advice: in my opinion… the powers-that-be would be wise to 1) assess the program and assess it honestly, as there are strengths and opportunities, while simultaneously there are weaknesses and threats; 2) map out a realistic short-term and long-term vision of the program from the school’s end -- a map that incorporates identified S/O/W/T’s to shape attainable expectations and defines standards as well as non-negotiables I think will serve the program, school and school-community well; 3) take the opportunity to draw from the wisdom and input of some elders within the Irish Village that have a pretty firm understanding on the game of basketball, small-school basketball, basketball at FC that goes back decades: for they can help paint the picture of good program structures to look for, what works and what doesn’t, what are key strengths and/or key deficiencies they’ve picked up over the years watching the program, how much of FC’s limitations in basketball and ‘difficulties’ are matters of waning-versus-waxing (cyclical) across other schools compared to how much (or if any) are ‘the Times of Today.’ (Also, to this third point, it would also just be good practice to have those lines of communication open while the figurative phone is still in service.) 4) remember that, at the end of the day, they are tireless and thankless actors of servant leadership… keeping their own mental, emotional and spiritual needs at the forefront is important. It can’t be supplanted or shelved by the demands of this.

Conference in general seems to have had less coaching turnover than others in recent years, so that could definitely play into early season challenges. Could also lead to teams finishing strong once the systems get installed. Other than Weakley at Northside, I haven't heard about any coaching changes in the MOCAL.

I'm a little less in the loop this year than past years regarding D4 Central as a whole. Seems to be a general feeling of apathy in the MOCAL after talking with my coach connection since Northside Christian has expanded their operations even more this summer.

Also a rumor that Genoa Christian will be in OHSAA after a probationary period and will join the MOCAL full time for 2024-25. The thing is, Genoa already had around 70 boys in the HS last year and will likely be approaching Tree of Life levels and beyond very soon, especially with that $15 million facility upgrade or whatever they had. Tree was already D3 last year and their elementary levels have exploded recently, so Tree and Genoa potentially both being D3 (or bigger?) in the future is a stark contrast to the tiny Granville/Delaware/Shekinah/traditional Northside sizes.

That being said, I have heard about expansion plans each of for those smaller MOCAL schools I just mentioned, so maybe they won't fall too far behind after all. As for other recent D4 schools that could be growing, GCC appears to be trending toward D3 long-term. Patriot getting football would indicate they are growing as well.

Trying to read into your FC enrollment thoughts Dock and it seems they may not be trending in the same direction? Fairfield county schools going with the trends or are there other factors that make it much different than the Columbus area?

Trying to read into your FC enrollment thoughts Dock and it seems they may not be trending in the same direction? Fairfield county schools going with the trends or are there other factors that make it much different than the Columbus area?
Just to clarify: when I say…
identifying the extent to which the short-term (18-24-36 months) state of the basketball program is of impact to the short-term (same time frame) state of the school, as well as its future when measured on a long-term apparatus that considers the various means to the established and ideal ends (enrollment?)

the point isn’t to draw attention to the specific enrollment level. That’s a different topic for somewhere else, one that I have my own (strong) thoughts and feelings on. It’s just a tying together of program health and the interests of the school.

The administrative regime (Fall ‘15-Fall ‘18) that hired the previous coach took the approach of “all gas no brakes” in how they viewed sports as a mechanism toward improving the school’s enrollment, and they hired as such. That approach was aggressive, if not playing the ‘short game.’ The regime that followed (Winter ‘18-Spring ‘21) applied a (IMO more) calculated and intuitive approach, and their strength was filling open jobs with high-level candidates with extensive coaching experience in the area who paired well with the community DNA.

The current school administration inherited the athletic department. It’s a really good stable of coaches, and the coaches have good assistants. This vacancy isn’t ideal, but it’s not the end of the world. Inside the athletic department there is a (somewhat) deep bench of potential successors (possibly 3-4 guys); it might be a little nervous if it comes down to them having to interview external applicants. Could it be that they hire from within as an interim/stop-gap and post for ‘24-25? Honestly, either directly hiring for ‘23-24 and beyond, or stop-gap and hiring for ‘24-25 are both intriguing possibilities (I can think of how that could be a good idea if they take the latter route.)

I believe that the leadership can and will get this vacancy figured out & make the best decision possible. They may not have the most extensive hiring experience, but they’ll have an idea as to what qualities and dynamics they’ll have an eye open for — and what they suspect will work best.

Harvest Prep is currently at the Kevin Gates team camp at NC State. The team loses 3 seniors, including 2 starters. Will be interesting to see how the team works without Nyalle, who was their best player for the last three years. How they replace his size and skill will determine how far they go this year. The team has a lot of talent, but size will be an issue.

A huge congrats to the former HPS middle school coach who was recently hired to be the head coach at Westland. He Improved the middle school program tremendously since his arrival and was a key contributor to the high school coaching staff.

Harvest Prep is currently at the Kevin Gates team camp at NC State. The team loses 3 seniors, including 2 starters. Will be interesting to see how the team works without Nyalle, who was their best player for the last three years. How they replace his size and skill will determine how far they go this year. The team has a lot of talent, but size will be an issue.

A huge congrats to the former HPS middle school coach who was recently hired to be the head coach at Westland. He Improved the middle school program tremendously since his arrival and was a key contributor to the high school coaching staff.
So is that two Franklin County head coaches, now, that are branches of the Dennis tree?

So, thanks to @JokesOnYou for providing the update on HP. Good to get some across-the-league talk trickling in… I also appreciate it because, shamelessly, it serves as a good bifurcation from the leadoff messages in this year’s iteration to bring you this…

2E6793A0-EBFD-4581-8EDE-AB61E2864943.jpeg

The above is a familiar sight to many readers. To many who sit and have sat in the visiting bleachers for their due reasons, I suspect the visit at some point or another evokes some general emotions of intrigue. It's a house that is as big as it is small. It's a house that decors itself not in any particularly conspicuous manner, but the seals of its walls is cemented by the spirit of its more-frequent occupants... a communal belief that the best house to keep is one that typifies the way you walk. The satisfaction of having what's in front of you, what it is that surrounds you, for as long as it has been that way, is a satisfaction that is hard to come by -- especially in a world so heavily encumbered by material wants and the pervasive need to continuously 'keep up' even if it comes to pursuing big things that are above one's means. To have that satisfaction is a recognition, and to have both that satisfaction in what surrounds you and in that recognition, frankly, begets gratitude.

Gratitude is a powerful thing. It extends across life, in so many ways. The capacity to have gratitude is a gift. If you can find gratitude in the little things, particularly in the unsought avenues of recreation like high school basketball, you can more easily reconcile times where you feel frustration and disappointment. You can also take joy in the successes, with or without gratitude, but if you take joy and appreciation for the experience with an application of gratitude, you come out more the richer spiritually. This house has facilitated the dealings of all emotions imaginable on the hardwood; and it's been an equal-opportunity facilitator in those magical wins and crushing defeats to all for so many years. There may not be a more perilous place in 740 area code for road teams than this gymnasium on a winter weekend night. For long as it has been the case, beyond the '10s and beyond the '00s, even into the 90's, this wayward son can't help but wonder "all those walls are missing is a sign above the home bleachers that reads lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate -- after all, those folks in the visiting bleachers need something to look at during warm-ups." But, alas, gratitude for the fact that the house is as fine as it is proves to be sufficient.

The floor above holds a value. That value is, well, sentimental and perhaps only sentimental to some. Installed in 1993, that surface played host to a boys' program 'Decade of Dominance' that spanned in the beginning the final years of the American memory 'of a time' when there was a sense of security coast-to-coast, with the back-nine of that 'Dominance' providing a sense of comfort and as a place of relief to a community in the years following when that security was taken away, as the century turned; it was the home court of many great players on the girls' side; a handful of Mid-State League volleyball crowns were won on that surface. For many more, it was the stable ground upon which students were situated for all-school Mass year-over-year-over-year. If you've ever had the fortune (so-to-speak) of owning a car as old as that floor, or older, as a car that you've had so many formative years and had many memories tied to, it's understandable why you might feel a sense of pride in that you've been able to keep it for as long as you were able to. But, at some point, it has to be moved on from. After all, you can't hold onto everything forever. What makes that parting more palatable? Gratitude for having had.
3900378D-1B23-4BFD-9163-7FE474C69C54.jpeg
90481F3A-14BD-44B0-A828-614F739B095B.jpeg
D7C0EBD6-3150-4F18-81C5-E897D6669FA2.jpeg

At some point, we face things in our life that take our breath away. They may not always be positive or awe-inspiring things, and perhaps for good reason. Sympathy and empathy alike, toward tragedy that befalls those you love, for instance, are unfortunate but necessary pains in existence. But whatever the medium, context and motivation is in identifying what can have such a profoundly deep impact to you on the positive side of life, it is of great comfort to the soul.

To see the successor floor, the only emotion I can make sense of (and make space for) is a deep sense of happiness for the students, and to those with more direct stakes. There are many layers that drive that particular emotion, but suffice to say that a personally-relentless passion of wanting to see bigger and better moments/days/things for the school and its students has reached its ease. It's been an admittedly taxing and tiring marathon spanning thirteen (13) years to have that thirst being at the forefront of your mind, and I'm grateful that community actors and the school administration worked together in making this bigger and better thing happen for many. At long last, a point of pride that the successive generation of immediate parties and today's students can call their own.

A new era begins.

And last year I just stated "Tree of Life got a new floor design." Well put Dock!

Speaking of new floor designs, Northside Christian got one last year and Delaware Christian is supposed to be getting one this year. The smallest of the OHSAA schools (MOCAL and MSL Cardinal in particular) rarely get upgrades of any kind that I've seen since arriving in Columbus a decade ago, so it's neat to see!

I just wish that Liberty Christian and Madison Christian would get hardwood floors instead of whatever composite material they use. Madison used to have some dark blue court that you could see bumps and uneven surfaces, which was horrible. When they replaced the floor several years ago I was hoping it would be a real wooden floor, but it's still an eyesore with its blue composite material. I've heard Genoa Christian's current "gym" got that composite material as well, which is better than carpet at least, but obviously their new arena will be a significant upgrade.

While I'm on the topic, I've now made rounds to almost every D4 school in the area in my exploration of Central Ohio gyms (Miller doesn't really count, does it?) First, I love the feel of old, small gyms as opposed to most of the more modern buildings at larger schools. Granville Christian might be my favorite of the small school buildings due to its history and second level balcony (even though the seats are uncomfortable). Patriot Prep's pillars in the bleachers are also a really fun and unique feature. And on packed nights, GCC and FC are probably the most hostile atmospheres that I've witnessed.

An interesting bit of trivia I heard during one time I was at Shekinah was that they wanted to redo the floor with their new logo and orange color when they went through a redesign a few years back. However, the floor is so old and worn down that they cannot strip it down again, so they are stuck with what is there. That is also a very odd building with a triangle roof and is the only one in the conference with the student section on the stage, giving a fun second half bonus in terms of home court advantage. The advantage also extends to the sideline with carpeted benches that have wall support beams breaking the benches into sections. The visitors also have an extended section of the bench that is several feet higher than the rest, which I assume is for a heater or storage. Players either need to sit on that heater and have their feet dangle or be isolated from the rest of the team near the stage. You also get the opportunity to bump into players and coaches in the bathrooms since there is only one set of restrooms on site. I remember noting this and laughing at how ridiculous it all was, but it does adds to the charm of these quirky smaller gyms IMO.

And last year I just stated "Tree of Life got a new floor design." Well put Dock!

Speaking of new floor designs, Northside Christian got one last year and Delaware Christian is supposed to be getting one this year. The smallest of the OHSAA schools (MOCAL and MSL Cardinal in particular) rarely get upgrades of any kind that I've seen since arriving in Columbus a decade ago, so it's neat to see!

I just wish that Liberty Christian and Madison Christian would get hardwood floors instead of whatever composite material they use. Madison used to have some dark blue court that you could see bumps and uneven surfaces, which was horrible. When they replaced the floor several years ago I was hoping it would be a real wooden floor, but it's still an eyesore with its blue composite material. I've heard Genoa Christian's current "gym" got that composite material as well, which is better than carpet at least, but obviously their new arena will be a significant upgrade.
...is it rubber? I've never been to those facilities, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was that. The court surface that spanned the Bush 41 presidency and commanders before was rubber at WvFC.
While I'm on the topic, I've now made rounds to almost every D4 school in the area in my exploration of Central Ohio gyms (Miller doesn't really count, does it?) First, I love the feel of old, small gyms as opposed to most of the more modern buildings at larger schools. Granville Christian might be my favorite of the small school buildings due to its history and second level balcony (even though the seats are uncomfortable).
This is the Fifth St. Gymnasium in Newark, yeah? I've been meaning to get there. I never made it up to the Bryn Du Fieldhouse despite us having games there, and the new home for GCA has been on the list. It always looked beautiful and one-of-a-kind to play basketball at. The photos remind me of the gymnasium that the former Mountain State College (later U. Charleston - Beckley campus, now WVU Tech?) would play at. Very accentuated feel. I wouldn't personally make the effort to travel to Hemlock out of gymnasium sightseeing purposes, but I will go to bat for the Falcons when I say it is a unique facility -- unless something has changed they had bucket seats ("stadium seating") on the stage beyond one of the baskets.

The facility at Grandview Heights (well, I guess this is now the old facility at Grandview Heights?) was my favorite to be at on the road for league games. Intimacy and art wed together. That was a tough place to play! Canal Winchester is still probably my favorite facility with the two levels of seating. Logan Elm's is also fantastic, but I can't remember if that facility is getting kiboshed and a new one is being built due to construction of a new school with its related campus changes.
Patriot Prep's pillars in the bleachers are also a really fun and unique feature. And on packed nights, GCC and FC are probably the most hostile atmospheres that I've witnessed.
One particular kernel that made GCC pretty intimidating to play at, in their infant years of Cardinal membership, was the sparse seating. They've since made significant improvements in creating seating capacity and places to sit for visiting fans, but early on it was tough when only one side had general admission seating and it was two individual row-length sections of column-deep bleachers in total... whereas the other side was the stage that served home to The Nest. I bet Chris Timlin enjoyed that juxtaposition for as long as it lasted! :)

Harvest Prep might be a facility that better fits the billing of the aforementioned inscription that Dante penned, although that's partly couched in having a truly-dominant basketball program. The home-and-away seating is split, but it's unique in that the de facto boundary on seat assignment is mid-court. The moniker of The Cave fits in the discussion of atmosphere, because getting pressed to smithereens is really accentuated on one end of the gymnasium and the cavernous nature of sound distribution makes it a tough place to walk out of unscathed. Berne's isn't anything particularly special but... if you come upon the pep band in the visiting bleachers, you know it's going to be a joint that's rocking from end to end. MP's is tight but not too compact and not too crowded. The Rogge in sunny Zanesville was more daunting (if you can imagine that) when the school still had the pool, IMO. A welcomed, tolerable scent of chlorine and treatment greets you walking into the school. FCA's isn't bad, either.

The gymnasium in the 2000's and early '10s was an even tougher road environment at FC. It's still pretty tough and has been this past decade, but whereas it's been a consistent '10' on the volume dial in that timeframe... if you trace back to the time of the Bush 43 and Obama presidencies that volume dial was tilted beyond the furthest of extremes (you couldn't twist it any further without it falling off.) They stopped having the student section on the stage, I think, around 2008; the plan from what I recall was to revive that custom in the season opener of the 2010-11 campaign but that game got kicked and it never made a return. Find some “old guys” that spent some of their teenage years on the stage, and hear some stories that make you laugh to the point of tears. Nevertheless, the classes of the early ‘10s persevered through the disappointment of not returning to the stage. (But, man, it was steamy in that column. 9 rows to sit, but it was 10 rows tall standing, because gametime it’d stagger down a level and it was before the MSL eventually made the rule saying you can’t stand on the court surface. No going to the concession stand, either! Annual postgame blacklight dances in the auxiliary gym also added some juice.)
835D1454-BF03-4A45-952E-9F6DD3558CD5.jpeg

An interesting bit of trivia I heard during one time I was at Shekinah was that they wanted to redo the floor with their new logo and orange color when they went through a redesign a few years back. However, the floor is so old and worn down that they cannot strip it down again, so they are stuck with what is there. That is also a very odd building with a triangle roof and is the only one in the conference with the student section on the stage, giving a fun second half bonus in terms of home court advantage. The advantage also extends to the sideline with carpeted benches that have wall support beams breaking the benches into sections. The visitors also have an extended section of the bench that is several feet higher than the rest, which I assume is for a heater or storage. Players either need to sit on that heater and have their feet dangle or be isolated from the rest of the team near the stage. You also get the opportunity to bump into players and coaches in the bathrooms since there is only one set of restrooms on site. I remember noting this and laughing at how ridiculous it all was, but it does adds to the charm of these quirky smaller gyms IMO.
Which furthers how painful it is to drive there on a winter’s night!

FC, IMO, has had the best student section when I have gone in visited. Their students have good chants and are alert whenever the game is playing. BR had a good student section last year during the HPS vs BR classic, but was not nearly as prevalent the two years prior. I like how GCC student section started during the JV game(which created a better moment when GCC went on to win by 15!).
Out of the last two years, my favorite atmosphere in the MSL were the games against BR this past season. The fans from both sides were being active, which is great because us HPS fans either don’t show up or cheer during a MSL game.

Great stuff Dock!

The surface at Liberty and Madison feels more like a slightly softer concrete. Madison previously had an all dark blue floor with blue all over the gym, which was just painful to look at and the surface was very hard with rolls as if a semi-truck slammed on its breaks before a stoplight. The new surface is hard, slippery, and slightly less ugly. Upon looking at a picture it's a little more of a gray-blue than dark blue now, but still not aesthetically pleasing. It's kinda hard to see, but here are some Google search pictures of the old floor and the new floor (so many cheerleaders).

1686760867879.png
1686760761677.png

Liberty Christian's floor is an boring beige. The acoustics are awful and everything echoes. Last time I went, they didn't even have a real scoreboard or buzzer but put the score on a computer and used a projector to shoot it onto the wall. It's a tough pick between these two as my bottom two gyms.

1686761068024.png

I do find it funny that Northside has a D1 prospect who plays in these gyms. Can you imagine a big name coach like Bob Huggins showing up to scout and seeing a kid play on a blue floor or sit on carpeted benches separated by support beams?

Since GCC is growing rapidly, are there any plans to get a new gym in the future? I know they've expanded their outdoor facilities. Anyone else we know of that is getting a new facility?

FC, IMO, has had the best student section when I have gone in visited. Their students have good chants and are alert whenever the game is playing.
Although the vestiges of an era when the school was in the enrollment bands of 200’s to low 300’s is one where hope springs eternal, that one day we will return to those heights, in this tired heart, I will say that the kids of today and recent years are worthy of more roses in this context. They may not be as big as they were in yesteryear, but they are far more perceptive and thoughtful in how they conduct themselves. That’s not to say we were terrible back then, but I will say retrospectively we could’ve done better some nights. They act by action in a more positive and venerable light, IMO, than the examples set before them when they were younger. Ultimately, that counts more in the end.
BR had a good student section last year during the HPS vs BR classic, but was not nearly as prevalent the two years prior. I like how GCC student section started during the JV game(which created a better moment when GCC went on to win by 15!).
Out of the last two years, my favorite atmosphere in the MSL were the games against BR this past season. The fans from both sides were being active, which is great because us HPS fans either don’t show up or cheer during a MSL game.
The FCA-HP game, at HP, in 2013-14, had a remarkable atmosphere that matched the intensity and spirit of the contest at hand.

This is my recap/breakdown of each team.
BR- Bishop Rosecrans comes into the year hot after a second-place finish in the MSL for the 4th time in the last five years. Last year's team was the closest in the MSL to win or share the MSL title since GCC's 2016-2017 season. BR only lost to Harvest Prep by 11 and 3 points, the ladder of which they lost in the final seconds by fouling HPS's Nyalle with less than 5 seconds left in the game. The team does lose one of the best players in the league and part of their insane shooting duo in, Weston Hartman. When hot, Hartman was one of the most dominant players in the league, as shown by the 48 points he scored against Miller. Bishop Rosecrans must find a 3rd scorer this year to help MSL POTY contender Grady Labishak and sharpshooter Bernath. Luckily for BR, the team only lost Hartman and had an excellent Freshman/JV team.

FCA- FCA team finished either 9-5 or 8-6, placing them solely in 3rd place or a 3-way tie for 4th(could not find one of the FCA vs. GCC games). FCA loses a lot of experience, as all five starters will be gone. Their bench was quite thin last year, although they did have a good JV team. This year's team will be a .500 team in the MSL.

Millersport- Millersport had a good year after losing 2 of the best players in school history, finishing 8-6. Their biggest challenge will be finding who can replace their star big man Levacy and point guard Johnston. These two led them to a District runner-up last year. Millersport does not go that far, but it still will be a solid team that could beat anyone outside of BR and HPS.

GCC- Grove City Christian had a disappointing season last year, mostly because of the high expectation from the 2nd place finish the year prior. (team finished either 7-7 or 8-6, depending on the FCA game). The team looked like they had some chemistry issues and lacked an identity, which caused the disappointing season. The group can challenge Rosecrans and HPS if they put it all together. GCC has one of the best motors and players in the league in Ransom and should use him as much as possible to start the offense up. Finally, they had arguably the best JV team in the league, which should bring some talented players to the varsity team. A top 3 finish should be expected for GCC.

FC- I will let @The Dock speak on them, especially since I know the least about them and Berne.

Berne- Speaking of Berne, they finished 2-12. This was their worst season since 2015-2016, but I did see a lot of progress throughout the season. The team improved against every team the second time they played. A 5th place finish will be a good season for the Rockets.
Miller- Miller finished the last season 1-13 and their JV team struggled to have players (HPS played only a half against them for JV).

I would predict each team's MSL records, but I do not know if they will play HPS once or twice or if Wellington plays in the MSL this year.

I'll politely pass on prognosticating, or general comment, on this upcoming FC boys' team other than the program expects to field two reserve teams in addition to a varsity team.

I would predict each team's MSL records, but I do not know if they will play HPS once or twice or if Wellington plays in the MSL this year.
So, I have the answer to this question. I am, however, going to give a very specific and pointed caveat on this topic before I address the quoted: it would serve the interests of the Mid-State League and its constituent schools well to publish its own 'official word' moving forward on matters such as these, from a legitimate line of communication sealed in veracity that clearly and concretely explains the situation. Inherently, there is some flaw in the fact that matters of league business and situations pertaining to scheduling are only channeled publicly through anonymized narrators such as myself. While I can confidently say that, in my narration of these matters, I have always discussed and framed these topics in truthful terms that directly represents facts put before me as well as reliable characterizations of situations, the fact of the matter is this medium (a sports forum) and messenger (me) should not be looked upon -- nor promoted -- as the bastion of information. While I believe firmly in the value and virtue of the separation of fact from fiction, that everyone is served well to receive correct information and that transparency is a powerful tool to help us overcome biases to reach a better common ground, truth be told I cannot personally reconcile the nature of this information flow anymore -- nor can I look at myself and think 'I do good works.' I may never totally understand the breadth, or depth, of potential benefit or harm my work has done to not just the Mid-State League but its constituent schools, as well as the thankless servants in the administrative ranks. I only recognize that the motivation to promote information may have outlived its purpose and utility.

I'll answer the matter quoted, not just because I believe it deserves its due truth but also to point out just how fault-ridden the matter is of this messaging through the medium. Once you read through the above caveat, and the below, my hope is that you grasp the devils within the details and just how difficult an impact the long-standing absence of information from reliable sources has on not just the portrayal of facts but also the impact of the relevant organization.
-- -- --
Beginning this upcoming school year, '23-24, there will be nine (9) schools participating in the Mid-State League Cardinal division. This is a change of the previous figure of eight, as the Wellington School is now a member.

In the sports of boys' and girls' basketball, eight of the nine schools will be playing a league schedule with 15 contests. The eight schools that will be playing the 15-game league schedule are: Bishop Rosecrans, Berne Union, FCA, Fisher Cath, Grove City Christian, Miller, Millersport and Wellington. As it is written within the central schedule planning going forward, those eight schools will be playing 15 of their permissible 22 contests on the hardwood within the Cardinal division. The ninth school in the Cardinal, Harvest Prep, will be playing a league schedule of 8 games.

To spell this out, the eight schools playing the 15-game league schedule are playing the following general arrangement: a double round-robin among the eight schools to achieve 14 games (just as an FYI, in case this bears explaining, this part is the exact same system that's been done for years) and a singular game against Harvest Prep to tie out a 15-game league schedule. Harvest Prep's eight league games are, you guessed it, a single round-robin against the other eight schools.

Schools were still free to schedule Harvest Prep at their whimsy for non-league games. It is my understanding that Harvest Prep will be playing a second varsity contest in boys' basketball against a Cardinal school, and that school is Fisher Cath.
-- -- --
NOW... this is a very specific detail that we (the entire participant-audience) were going to have to broach sooner or later as we move forward. My understanding of the matter of crowning conference titles in the sport of basketball, moving forward, is this: all contests against Harvest Prep do count toward the league standings, and Harvest Prep is still eligible to play for the conference title in these sports. So, it's going by winning percentage.

The way I’ll frame my league prognostications is this…

Who finishes higher in their respective division? The boys or the girls?

— — —
Berne: ???

Rosecrans: the Boys

FC: the Girls
FCA: the Girls (?)
GCC: the Boys

HP: the Boys (😄)

MP: the boys, although this one is legitimately tough tbh

Miller: ???

Wellington: the Boys

GCC went 3-1 at ODU today. Beat Valley View, Westland, and Liberty Union. Lost to Worthington Christian by 10. Great showing by the Eagles to start the summer. Vaughn looked great and you can tell Timlin has had them in the weight room.

Today is Juneteenth. I encourage all readers of this space to take time and carefully examine not just what the holiday means in their eyes, but also to dig deep and consider if their consciousness (as it relates to the history and experience of other identities) are only earmarked to specific days of the year — e.g. MLK Day, Juneteenth.

There is nothing necessarily wrong if thoughtfulness toward the matters that inspire these holidays only come out on their respective days of the year. It’s not a flaw of character, it’s not a matter of spiritual shortcoming and it’s not an incompatibility within the soulful connection toward a higher power. You can be a good person, have strong spirit, conduct yourself in accordance with all that is imparted as necessary to be fulfilling of what you are called to be… and still have some general obliviousness to the society in which you live. It’s not a judgment or indictment of you, or people you love. Consider, instead, if there are ways you can grow and enhance your understanding of the world you live in.

Growth is a continuous process. We all grow. Does your belief system compel you to a moral vision that promotes the dignity, existence and experience of all human life? If so, are you called to embrace and conquer challenges not just directly in front of you, but also in your thinking? If so, what do these challenges look like?

Are prejudices against/toward other people and groups encouraged, or discouraged? Are prejudices against/toward other people and groups encouraged, or discouraged, by action? By inaction? Are these prejudices born out in the form of words, or characterizations carrying undue weight in the form of scrutiny/negativity?

Ultimately, a question is penned this Juneteenth and any/all days you read this: do you sidestep challenges because it is convenient to do so? Because it is promoted, explicitly or implicitly, that it is convenient to sidestep those challenges?

Great stuff Dock!

The surface at Liberty and Madison feels more like a slightly softer concrete. Madison previously had an all dark blue floor with blue all over the gym, which was just painful to look at and the surface was very hard with rolls as if a semi-truck slammed on its breaks before a stoplight. The new surface is hard, slippery, and slightly less ugly. Upon looking at a picture it's a little more of a gray-blue than dark blue now, but still not aesthetically pleasing. It's kinda hard to see, but here are some Google search pictures of the old floor and the new floor (so many cheerleaders).

View attachment 42631View attachment 42628

Liberty Christian's floor is an boring beige. The acoustics are awful and everything echoes. Last time I went, they didn't even have a real scoreboard or buzzer but put the score on a computer and used a projector to shoot it onto the wall. It's a tough pick between these two as my bottom two gyms.

View attachment 42632

I do find it funny that Northside has a D1 prospect who plays in these gyms. Can you imagine a big name coach like Bob Huggins showing up to scout and seeing a kid play on a blue floor or sit on carpeted benches separated by support beams?

Since GCC is growing rapidly, are there any plans to get a new gym in the future? I know they've expanded their outdoor facilities. Anyone else we know of that is getting a new facility?
Rumor has it that a ground breaking is happening this fall for a new gym. They are moving the baseball field this summer and the gym will connect to the football field.

Let it be known to readers in the time capsule that Huggins had to resign four days after this was posted.

I saw that a Cardinal alum was hired by a former MSL school. Great job to have, great opportunity… I do wonder if this now means that program will be amenable to playing his alma mater.

I saw that a Cardinal alum was hired by a former MSL school. Great job to have, great opportunity… I do wonder if this now means that program will be amenable to playing his alma mater.
I think they would considering that his former team at Independence scrimmaged them several years in a row and that he is a former assistant to coach D.If not, there’s a good chance that they would play in the playoffs since they have the last 3 out of 4 years. I would personally love to see them play as their 2019 and 2020 district championship games had amazing atmospheres.

I think they would considering that his former team at Independence scrimmaged them several years in a row and that he is a former assistant to coach D.If not, there’s a good chance that they would play in the playoffs since they have the last 3 out of 4 years. I would personally love to see them play as their 2019 and 2020 district championship games had amazing atmospheres.
Yup, yup! These two programs should play more, and IMO it’d be great for the northerly of the two parties to play HPS on a regular twice-a-year basis.

Central District breakdowns per division
D1: 4 (47 schools)
D2: 2 (22 schools)
D3: 2 (25 schools)
D4: 2 (18 schools)

Division Counts
Division I: 346 or more boys
Division II: 193 to 345 boys
Division III: 121 to 192 boys
Division IV: 120 or less boys

Changes
- Elgin drops down to D4