Mentor Football 2024

Nobody cares about an outsiders opinion on who we schedule. Where did you and your son go though ?

I'm betting the Hartley game was playoffs. That's forced. I was talking scheduled games ,.

Again , show me the Ohio public schools who have scheduled Eds more than Mentor? Others can take their turn .
Glenville. And they’re desperately trying to schedule them again. You sound like a huge loser.

I'm well aware Mentor playing both Cleveland big school Parochials. Just like I was well aware Mentor's History when you claimed Program was mediocre for decades prior to Triv. I had you set up.

Goodness, why wouldn't Norwalk or Ross play big school Privates? One is Division III with 350 boys, snd latter Division II with 400. Actually, Ross didn't play Central Catholic for 1st time in over 10 years. Not private, but still played Findlay, Perrysburg, and Whitmer; all over 250 more boys.

Mentor with over 800 boys; you're bigger than Ed.
You didn't have anyone set up. Mentor was mediocre for decades before Triv. They won one playoff game in 20 years or so ..

I've followed the program since birth. Know quite a bit more than you to say the least

Glenville. And they’re desperately trying to schedule them again. You sound like a huge loser.
That's a huge list man! When is Heights scheduling eds?

I only ask because since we played Ignatius annually since 2005 and eds 6 times in the last 15 years, maybe others should step up before lecturing us to do so

Last edited:
Where Mentor stacked up in Region 1 computer point rankings out of 34-36 teams (it fluctuated) from 1980 until Triv arrived in 1997:

Two teams per region era
1980: 13th
1981: 2nd (made playoffs, lost)
1982: 2nd (made playoffs, lost)
1983: 9th
1984: 17th

Four team per region era
1985: 6th
1986: 23rd
1987: 5th
1988: 20th
1989: 21st
1990: 10th
1991: 13th
1992: 3rd (first ever playoff win, regional final loss)
1993: 15th
1994: 12th
1995: 19th
1996: 11th

The mean placement during this time is 11.8. The median is 11. So in a (roughly) 35 team region, Mentor was about the 11th or 12th best team in Region 1 over that stretch. Is that mediocre? Maybe not statistically. That would be the 17th or 18th best team, right in the middle of the bell curve. So technically speaking, Mentor was “slightly above average” in Region 1. But when you factor their enrollment was in the top 2 in the region every year (while being double and triple the enrollment of many in the region), I would say that 11th or 12th is a mediocre display.

But we all define mediocrity differently apparently.

We can make a run this year if everyone stays healthy. Coughlin back , Farley and Dominic burns both very solid RB’s as Jr’s with a solid line. Some of these Sr. linemen that didn’t play this year will be solid, Ben McWilliams comes to mind as a super solid guard/center replacement.

Wr’s will be super scary, all seniors, Hodge with a ton of offers , I am hearing VanHuss may be getting DI offers in the off season (I know he is meeting with a lot of DI schools ) , if that is true when was the last time Mentor had an offense with 5 DI prospects on it? I don’t know if that ever happened ? Maybe I’m wrong.

Defense front 7 will be very good IMHO. I’m a little nervous about secondary this year but there are some athletes that may see some movement from the offense to the defensive side that will help. This should be a good season.

Only 3 home games sucks though for sure.
We lost a lot on defense. Can you list any names for next year that you think can step up as replacements?

Where Mentor stacked up in Region 1 computer point rankings out of 34-36 teams (it fluctuated) from 1980 until Triv arrived in 1997:

Two teams per region era
1980: 13th
1981: 2nd (made playoffs, lost)
1982: 2nd (made playoffs, lost)
1983: 9th
1984: 17th

Four team per region era
1985: 6th
1986: 23rd
1987: 5th
1988: 20th
1989: 21st
1990: 10th
1991: 13th
1992: 3rd (first ever playoff win, regional final loss)
1993: 15th
1994: 12th
1995: 19th
1996: 11th

The mean placement during this time is 11.8. The median is 11. So in a (roughly) 35 team region, Mentor was about the 11th or 12th best team in Region 1 over that stretch. Is that mediocre? Maybe not statistically. That would be the 17th or 18th best team, right in the middle of the bell curve. So technically speaking, Mentor was “slightly above average” in Region 1. But when you factor their enrollment was in the top 2 in the region every year (while being double and triple the enrollment of many in the region), I would say that 11th or 12th is a mediocre display.

But we all define mediocrity differently apparently.
So that means Mentor would have made the playoffs 5 times in 17 years before Triv if there was an 8 team field. Yeah I'd say that is pretty mediocre at best. That's being nice.

That's even including the fact that the old GCC and LEL during that period weren't anything special. Nor did Mentor schedule out of conference teams the caliber that they have since the early 2000's

Triv wasn't perfect and had his flaws. But he deserves a ton of credit for how he turned around Mentor. To act like they were any good before that is disingenuous if youre looking at the 80s and 90s period as we referenced

Sure there was some success in the decades before that though

Last edited:
You didn't have anyone set up. Mentor was mediocre for decades before Triv. They won one playoff game in 20 years or so ..

I've followed the program since birth. Know quite a bit more than you to say the least
Now it's mediocre due to one Playoff win. Change the narrative much?

You had no idea the history and got caught with your pants down. They weren't mediocre and now your premise changed and with a different Playoff format back in the day.

Triv didn't set the world on fire his 1st 5. He didn't get keys to a bad car. Your Coach has done fine; give him time. Otherwise, you'll end up in a big mess.

BTW, who else should take turns playing Ed? Massillon has, and with 1/4 less enrollment than Mentor. Massillon has championship aspirations.

To be the best, play the best

Now it's mediocre due to one Playoff win. Change the narrative much?

You had no idea the history and got caught with your pants down. They weren't mediocre and now your premise changed and with a different Playoff format back in the day.

Triv didn't set the world on fire his 1st 5. He didn't get keys to a bad car. Your Coach has done fine; give him time. Otherwise, you'll end up in a big mess.

BTW, who else should take turns playing Ed? Massillon has, and with 1/4 less enrollment than Mentor. Massillon has championship aspirations.

To be the best, play the best
Did you see cardz factual data? That's the definition of mediocre at best. Especially with a way weaker schedule back in the day....

Nobody would say 5 top 8 finishes in 17 years is great or even good. That's flat out bad in region 1. And many of those weren't near misses either. They were in the 20s for God sakes...

It's you that doesn't know the history or how bad it got in the 80s and 90s. I lived it. You were at Fremont Ross and Norwalk.

You just speak in general terms with zero factual points or data. You try to say you proved people wrong , but in reality cardz post crushed your diatribe

So get out of here trying to lecture us on our school. We know way more than you on Mentor to say the least

Did you see cardz factual data? That's the definition of mediocre at best. Especially with a way weaker schedule back in the day....

Nobody would say 5 top 8 finishes in 17 years is great or even good. That's flat out bad in region 1. And many of those weren't near misses either. They were in the 20s for God sakes...

It's you that doesn't know the history or how bad it got in the 80s and 90s. I lived it. You were at Fremont Ross and Norwalk.

You just speak in general terms with zero factual points or data. You try to say you proved people wrong , but in reality cardz post crushed your diatribe

So get out of here trying to lecture us on our school. We know way more than you on Mentor to say the least
Not a matter of knowing more. You guys are spoiled brats.

Keep whizzing on Gray. Let's see where it will get you

Not a matter of knowing more. You guys are spoiled brats.

Keep whizzing on Gray. Let's see where it will get you
Another general response. Zero data or points to counter the cardz post. Because you simply can't.

By now it's pretty obvious you have an agenda. Probably some connection to Gray. If you're too close to him, stay off message board threads where he's discussed

There's been tons of coverage on how Triv turned Mentor around over the years for a reason

Last edited:
Another general response. Zero data or points to counter the cardz post. Because you simply can't.

By now it's pretty obvious you have an agenda. Probably some connection to Gray. If you're too close to him, stay off message board threads where he's discussed

There's been tons of coverage on how Triv turned Mentor around over the years for a reason
No connection to Gray, and actually loved Triv from an outside perspective. Always wanted Mentor to get elusive Title. Only time I rooted against Mentor during their runs was against Whitmer circa 2012, I believe

But! Trivisonno did go 30-25 his 1st 5. His first playoff games lost to Strongsville and 41-0 to Shaker Heights. Did he get the heat for being mediocre?

It's been my experience when a longtime Coach retires, he's sees the writing on the wall. I have to believe if there was a State Championship caliber talent on near horizon, he stays. Gray is doing fine, considering. Let him do his thing without armchair quarterbacks and running out a Coach

Who should take their turn playing Ed? It seems obvious you have ideas. Don't be shy

No connection to Gray, and actually loved Triv from an outside perspective. Always wanted Mentor to get elusive Title. Only time I rooted against Mentor during their runs was against Whitmer circa 2012, I believe

But! Trivisonno did go 30-25 his 1st 5. His first playoff games lost to Strongsville and 41-0 to Shaker Heights. Did he get the heat for being mediocre?

It's been my experience when a longtime Coach retires, he's sees the writing on the wall. I have to believe if there was a State Championship caliber talent on near horizon, he stays. Gray is doing fine, considering. Let him do his thing without armchair quarterbacks and running out a Coach

Who should take their turn playing Ed? It seems obvious you have ideas. Don't be shy
We've been over this already. You are getting repetitive now ..

Triv inherited a program that had been average at best for around two decades. Cardz showed that. You couldn't bring anything to refute the numbers

Gray inherited a team that was a state title runner up literally the year before he took over. With a returning senior all Ohio QB and much of that team back

So not the same situation to say the least

Nobody is running him out. We can discuss the program and our opinions. It doesn't mean we are going to board meetings or the AD on him because we aren't.

I don't think he's a very good coach and have given reasons why. Many joined me in seeing those signs during the last season. .

As for Eds, any pubic not named glenville or Massillon can schedule them. Many choices. We've done our share. We have scheduled Ignatius since 2005. We have scheduled Eds 6 times in the last 15 years. We have zero obligation to play both big privates each year

You're missing a lot to say the least

Triv took over a program that was mediocre for decades and built it
I'll go back to original post

1950-1996 pre-Trivisonno

303-143-13

.674 percentage

I'm guessing cardzfan knew this, but slanted it with playoff positioning

Mediocre for decades. A near .700 put, yet 30-22 including loss #22 41-0 to Shaker. That sucks. Not a good coach after 5.

41-0 to Shaker!!!!

I'll go back to original post

1950-1996 pre-Trivisonno

303-143-13

.674 percentage

I'm guessing cardzfan knew this, but slanted it with playoff positioning

Mediocre for decades. A near .700 put, yet 30-22 including loss #22 41-0 to Shaker. That sucks. Not a good coach after 5.

41-0 to Shaker!!!!
We were talking about the 80s and 90s the whole time ....you are trying to flip the narrative saying we said Mentor NEVER had success before Triv in their whole history

We never said that . You are a liar.

You are trolling at this point to keep arguing. Move on

We were talking about the 80s and 90s the whole time ....you are trying to flip the narrative saying we said Mentor NEVER had success before Triv in their whole history

We never said that . You are a liar.

You are trolling at this point to keep arguing. Move on
I just quoted you. Your original made no reference to 80s 90s.

I can't make this up if I tried. I proved not Mediocre for decades, per YOUR QUOTE, and proved Trivisonno didn't fit the bill after his 1st 5 years. I was wrong on one thing though

42-0 to Shaker!

Give Gray some slack. He may surprise like other Coaches at other Programs

I can't help notice Pavlansky was prior to Trivisoonno as ND has something Triv doesn't as much as I would have liked to see it happen

I just quoted you. Your original made no reference to 80s 90s.

I can't make this up if I tried. I proved not Mediocre for decades, per YOUR QUOTE, and proved Trivisonno didn't fit the bill after his 1st 5 years. I was wrong on one thing though

42-0 to Shaker!

Give Gray some slack. He may surprise like other Coaches at other Programs

I can't help notice Pavlansky was prior to Trivisoonno as ND has something Triv doesn't as much as I would have liked to see it happen
I said decades before. The decades before him were the 80s and 90s. That's why cardz showed those. If I was saying all time, I would have said all time.....

What happened in the 50s or 60s for a coach that took over in 1997 isn't relevant. What happened in the two decades before him is relevant... duh

Again move on. You didn't prove anyone wrong. Tons of media coverage on Triv turning around Mentor. Some dope western part of Ohio guy doesn't know more than alumni and media covering the program.

109-63-2 nearly .640 percent during 80s and 90s leading to Triv

30-22 .570 1st 5 for Triv. 42-0 Playoff loss to Shaker

Triv improved. Many Coaches do improve

Let Gray have a chance to improve

109-63-2 nearly .640 percent during 80s and 90s leading to Triv

30-22 .570 1st 5 for Triv. 42-0 Playoff loss to Shaker

Triv improved. Many Coaches do improve

Let Gray have a chance to improve
15, 12, 19, 11 the 4 years before Triv. Vs Gray taking over a state runner up with most talent back . Again it's not the same....

Also it was .626 vs .576. Don't know why you rounded up for one and down for the other. Except for an agenda

Record tells a lot less than playoff points. Mentor was playing weak schedules then allowing them to beat cupcakes even when the team wasn't good.

That's why it means more to see where they finish by close to current standards which is the 8 team playoff. Because that's the formula Triv and gray were in at first. Except now gray benefits from a 16 team region giving him virtually a free playoff win each season that Triv didn't get..

I'm not doing anything to prevent Gray from improving ...saying I doubt him on a message board isn't the same as trying to get him fired to the ad or board. He's regressing though from what he inherited

Mentor averaging a 6-4 record for most of the 80s/90s is fine if the schedule includes Ignatius, Eds, McKinley, Moeller, Massillon, Solon, Glenville, Medina, etc. types of teams.

But when your league is South, North, Bedford, Maple, Mayfield, Brush, and Euclid - going 6-4 on average every year isn’t what you think it is. That explains why a program with a .640 win percentage could be so far away from the top 5 of Region 1. Their schedule was weak.

Triv took over a program that averaged 11th in Region 1 throughout the 80s and 90s. His first five years weren’t that great, agreed. But he was trying to build something where the program was stuck in a “barely above average” place. Gray inherited a program that spent the previous 15+ seasons being a top 5 program in DI.

Why do you care what we think about Gray’s success or lack of so much? If it bothers you so much, just avoid the thread.

One could say Mentor was lucky playing a one dimensional Heights offense, everyone knew Davis was getting the ball and he still went off. Also with Fox you guys lost several games so not sure your point. That said, that’s why they play the games.
Davis certainly did not go off against Mentor that night. He's a great player who was getting close to 300 yds per game coming in. The Mentor defense did everything that was required for the team to win that game. Unfortunately, the offense just couldn't get going.

Davis certainly did not go off against Mentor that night. He's a great player who was getting close to 300 yds per game coming in. The Mentor defense did everything that was required for the team to win that game. Unfortunately, the offense just couldn't get going.
They did a great job! But in 2024, no player on the schedule concerns me more than Davis. He is capable of single-handedly beating Mentor. I think the Heights game will decide the conference. Medina lost so much of their offense. They will take a step back, maybe two.

Any update on where Stoddard will be going to college? I see him as a division 2or 3 prospect due to his size. He has a great arm but lacks division 1 size and mobility.

Any update on where Stoddard will be going to college? I see him as a division 2or 3 prospect due to his size. He has a great arm but lacks division 1 size and mobility.
He should show up somewhere for sure. A little closer to home, is there any word on whether any of the Mentor graduating seniors will be playing anywhere in the future? It's interesting to keep an eye on players who we cheered for through the years to see what they do on a different stage.

He should show up somewhere for sure. A little closer to home, is there any word on whether any of the Mentor graduating seniors will be playing anywhere in the future? It's interesting to keep an eye on players who we cheered for through the years to see what they do on a different stage.
I'd like to know this as well. Did Shelley and markowski and others go anywhere ? I don't remember seeing much

Toledo and Appalachian State have shown interest. He is trying to add weight to his 180 lb. frame to garner more interest.

I'd like to know this as well. Did Shelley and markowski and others go anywhere ? I don't remember seeing much
Shelley and Markowski are both pretty small to play at the next level. Shelley is currently wrestling, so I'm sure he has dropped a few more pounds to make wrestling weight.

Mentor Cardinal Football will be celebrating 100 years (1924-2024) at their reverse raffle on May 4th. This is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the football team.

1704245610076.png

Mentor Cardinal Football will be celebrating 100 years (1924-2024) at their reverse raffle on May 4th. This is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the football team.
A year of celebration I am sure. That will be cool to hear the stories of 100 years of the program. It would be something if 2024 made it extra memorable with a surprising run to a state championship.