Mason Wrestling '09/10

BigMack62

With fall sports finishing up, that means winter sports are right around the corner. The MHS wrestling season returns 12 of 14 starters to its line up, only losing Trexler and McCormack to graduation. Good Luck to the Comets at State Duals this year, you all earned it last year. Take the City Title away from Moeller this year, i know you guys got it in you!!! Im a couple hours away and im looking for any information that you all can tell me about the team this year.

I think there is a lot of hope that this team will be the one that takes to GMC title from West and gives Moe a run for their money. People on here associated with the program seem to keep hinting that there are some big surprises in store so I am curious what those are. I think the key for this team is who will replace McCormack and if someone will step up at heavyweight and 215. I have heard that there are some talented Frosh coming up as well. What do you think the line up is looking like bigmack?

im not very sure on the lower weight bc i dont know how much luria, the artrips,the gonzo's, and flannery are weighing these days but i think you see those guys filling out the lower weight classes 103-135. I think shep will be your 140. Mcintire at 145. Bovenzi and Sear wil be at 152 and 160. I would like to see Kana at 171 and Porter at 189. Erich Meyers got a taste of varsity at 215 last year when McCormack went to heavyweight so i look for him to make a splash this year and I think Josh McBride will hold down the heavyweight spot.

I did not know if Meyers was wrestling or concentrating on football. I am sure a certain poster may be able to help out on that. I know McBride had some ups and downs last year, do you see some improvement out of him this year? I would think Walden may find his way in there somewhere as he wrestled quite a few matches as a frosh last year. What about McIntire? I am not familar with him.

I hadnt heard anything about what Meyers was gonna do but if he goes out he's your 215. Mcbride was coming off knee surgery last year and never really had a chance to prepare, his first tournament of the year was Coach's Classic. Thats tough tourney for a first varsity match at heavyweight. I think he will surprise some people this year. Im not very familiar with McIntire either, i know he wrestled at Moeller last year but was injured at somepoibt during the year. I actually spaced a little about the Walden brothers, they both have a shot to crack the lineup. There are gonna be some battles in the middle weight classes this year.

I did not know if Meyers was wrestling or concentrating on football. I am sure a certain poster may be able to help out on that. I know McBride had some ups and downs last year, do you see some improvement out of him this year? I would think Walden may find his way in there somewhere as he wrestled quite a few matches as a frosh last year. What about McIntire? I am not familar with him.

Myers isn't planning to wrestle.

From what I can tell you are talking about Kyle McIntyre. He wrestled for Moeller at 140 last year and finished runner-up at Sectionals as a frosh last year. He did not wrestle at Districts from what I can tell so this must have been when he was injured. Nice addition for the Comets if this is true.

It is, he has been training with the comets since the summer and will be a very strong drill partner for shep. Im pretty sure meyers wont be out this year, he wants to focus on football and getting a football schollie. I wish him the best of luck, he certainly deserves this opportunity.

Oh, thats too bad!
So it's not a runor, he really did quit!

Let me make sure I have this correctly. When you walk away from the football program because you want to concentrate on another sport, lacrosse, baseball, wrestling, etc. you are a QUITTER, NON HACKER, UNCOMMITTED LOSER who the team doesn't need anyway.

When you QUIT any of the above mentioned sports to concentrate on football, you are leaving the other sports to concentrate on football.

Don't get me wrong SWMCinci, I'm not calling your son a quitter, if he chooses to make football his chosen sport, that is his right and good for him. But, I recall ALOT of posts prior to the start of this football season where some kids from Mason were getting absolutely HAMMERED for not playing football this year because they CHOSE to play other sports. They were labeled QUITTERS, shouldn't the same be said of kids who QUIT other programs?

I guess it's okay for a player not to be committed to the lacrosse, wrestling and baseball teams, just don't give up on your football teammates.

It is amazing how well the Mason Wresting program continues to grow and flourish. Committed Coaches, kids and families should be congratulated on that sucess.

Way to go Comets!

L.......
When you QUIT any of the above mentioned sports to concentrate on football, you are leaving the other sports to concentrate on football.

I guess it's okay for a player not to be committed to the lacrosse, wrestling and baseball teams, just don't give up on your football teammates.

If you go back and check, I never called a kid playing another sport and not working out with the football team a quitter. These are teenagers, they will make choices and change their minds. They chose to play another sport. I've pointed that out in several posts that that is their right.

Where I would consider someone a quitter is when they have a fit on the field, yell at the coaches, their teammates, and announce to the world that they are quitting. That seems to be an obvious one. There were several kids that have walked away from football over the years and last year and there were only 1 or 2 that I considered quitters and that was all about how they did it and why.

ok HW and SWM please dont take over this thread too. For whatever reason you two have a personal vendetta against eachother but the rest of us are trying to get information on the Mason Wrestling Team. We dont care about your guy's argument. Im not trying to be rude but please keep it down, so we can focus on the topic of this thread. THE MASON WRESTLING TEAM!!!

Now that thats out of the way, i think Mason will have the best team in history of the program this year. Like i said they return 12 starters and bring in McIntire and have very talented underclassmen. Coach Murnan and his staff have turned this program around and if all goes how it could, they could be the first Mason Team be in the top 10 at the State Tournament.

Luria, Artrip, Shep, and Porter were all state qualifiers last year and i think you'll see Kana, McIntire, Gonzo, and Flannery have chances to join them at The Show this year.

I could not agree more big mack. Please stick to Mason wrestling in this thread. It is amazing to me how quickly Coach Murnan has built Mason into a powerhouse. He has truly built a program from the youth level all the way to the top.

Luria, Artrip, Shep, and Porter were all state qualifiers last year and i think you'll see Kana, McIntire, Gonzo, and Flannery have chances to join them at The Show this year.

Kana has a great work ethic, he did very well last year and this could be his breakout year. Does he intend to cut down on his weight as much as he did last year to get to 171? Porter, is Porter, he'll do fine. One question mark will be Mcbride just because it's been a while since he was at full strength.

I could not agree more big mack. Please stick to Mason wrestling in this thread. It is amazing to me how quickly Coach Murnan has built Mason into a powerhouse. He has truly built a program from the youth level all the way to the top.

Does the wrestling team use the same strength and conditioning coach as everyother sport uses? I thought I heard they had their own and also heard that their weight lifting program is top notch.

They did have their own coach up until this year. Dr. Bob Carter, former Mason High School Principal, decided to retire after this past year. I have not heard what the program has done since, Mason does have a very good strength coach so they may have decided to just use him.

I think Kana has to drop to 171. Porter has been a solid 189, and is probably too short to wrestle at 215. Kana doesnt weigh enough to wrestle 215 so his only option may be to drop to 171, if he does he will be and absolute stud in the weight class. He had a very good season once he got his weight down last year so i look for him to have a breakout season this year.

McBride should have a good year. All of the heavyweight that qualified for state last year have graduated (Brooks, McCormack, Powell, and Owens) and even the 5th and 6th placer graduated. The heavyweight weight class is going to be young this year. If McBride can be at full strength by districts, then i say he has a chance to get out. Remember everything before districts means absolutley nothing, all that matters is gettin to Columbus.

Does the wrestling team use the same strength and conditioning coach as everyother sport uses? I thought I heard they had their own and also heard that their weight lifting program is top notch.

I have heard Robert Shepherd's dad say on here that many of them workout with Shep's grandfather I believe, or at least a progr designed by him. Maybe bigmack could give a little more detail.

Does Mason have a strength coach?

I have heard Robert Shepherd's dad say on here that many of them workout with Shep's grandfather I believe, or at least a progr designed by him. Maybe bigmack could give a little more detail.

Does Mason have a strength coach?

I had heard something of that sort. Im not sure if he is the "official" strength coach or if the team uses a program set up by him. Mason does have a strength and conditioning coach, Adam Hindes. He works for Atrium and is also an athletic trainer. He does a very good job at getting his athletes ready for their season.

what kind of program does the strength coach have the kids on? I mean are they sport specific or are the programs designed for multi sport athletes?

they are sport specific to a point but all the teams do the main lifts (bench, squat, clean, and deadlift). The coaches have input on what they want there team doing on each day, but for the most part the strength coach tries to make a program that will help each sport the best.

Sorry is this is all off topic, but does anyone have some pics of the new weight room? I know the old one was pretty impressive so I can only imagine what the 10000 square foot one looks like.

Last edited:
i havent seen any pictures of it but i can tell you that is very very impressive. I is comparable to ohio states weight room in size and in number of racks. There are around 12 bench/squat racks, all the weights have the Mason Strength emblem on it. They have a number of elipticals, tread mills, and other conditioning bikes. Lots of dumbbells and free weights. It is an incredible weight room.

Myers isn't planning to wrestle.

Doesn't Myers realize that most college football coaches want kids on their team that wrestles. Many college football coaches also watch wrestling especially at the State tourney. Heck, one of the coaches on Brian kelly's staff at UC has a kid on the Oak Hills wrestling team. You think he doesn't want his son wrestling??? Wrestling can do nothing but help kids prepare for playing football at the next level! I hope Myers doesn't make a mistake that he will regret later in life.

Last edited:
Doesn't Myers realize that most college football coaches want kids on their team that wrestles. Many college football coaches also watch wrestling especially at the State tourney. Heck, one of the coaches on Brian kelly's staff at UC has a kid on the Oak Hills wrestling team. You think he doesn't want his son wrestling??? Wrestling can do nothing but help kids prepare for playing football at the next level! I hope Myers doesn't make a mistake that he will regret later in life.

I think part of the problem is that in years past he has had to cut significant weight.. and instead of limiting his weight at 215 he wants to be closer to 225 or 230 come end of spring..

He got into wrestling because of a football coach in middle school. He wrestled in the past to assist in preparing for football. He's enjoyed wrestling and being with his teammates. As with anything else, he's a teenager, and one of the joys/problems are you get to make decisions. Whether he will regret it later this year or later in life is a topic for the future.

Then why doesn't he just get big and wrestle HWT.??? He goes against big guys on the line in football. Plus, I think Mason has a good history with coaching up HWT's. I believe the last 3 (Marshall, Kline, McCormack) all went to state i wrestling (2 were state champs) and are playing or played college football.

Then why doesn't he just get big and wrestle HWT.??? He goes against big guys on the line in football. Plus, I think Mason has a good history with coaching up HWT's. I believe the last 3 (Marshall, Kline, McCormack) all went to state i wrestling (2 were state champs) and are playing or played college football.

Because he doesn't want to wrestle HWT, at this point he doesn't want to wrestle at 215 or at all. Whatever you might think he should do is unimportant, this is a 17 year old kid that is concentrating on football and being the best LB at Mason.

Because he doesn't want to wrestle HWT, at this point he doesn't want to wrestle at 215 or at all. Whatever you might think he should do is unimportant, this is a 17 year old kid that is concentrating on football and being the best LB at Mason.

He played at his new position this year (offensive lineman) and is a very good lineman, I might add. Hardly played LB this year. A little biased don't you think?

Last edited: