League Play

FCC beats DC United 5-2 yesterday to finish the regular season as the #5 seed in the Eastern Conference.

They will play the #4 seed New York Red Bulls in Harrison, NJ this Saturday, 10/15 at 12 pm for their first ever MLS playoff match.

The Crew blow a 1-0 second half lead at Orlando and lose 2-1. They finish as the #8 team in the Eastern Conference and fail to qualify for the MLS playoffs.

The finish to this season has to be the end of the Caleb Porter era in Columbus. I think I read they dropped 24 points in games they lead this season. That can’t happen

The finish to this season has to be the end of the Caleb Porter era in Columbus. I think I read they dropped 24 points in games they lead this season. That can’t happen

I forget the exact number, but I saw something that said the Crew lost 11 (or 12) points after the 90th minute this season. That can't happen.

Small clubs like Brentford holding their own against clubs like Chelsea ceaselessly amuses me. We have nothing like it in pro sports here.

Small clubs like Brentford holding their own against clubs like Chelsea ceaselessly amuses me. We have nothing like it in pro sports here.

The closest equivalent would be some of MLB's low-spending/small market teams having postseason success.

The Guardians this year, Tampa Bay's best teams of the past 15 years, the Marlins WS teams, etc.

The MLS season kicks off tomorrow.

FC Cincinnati host the Houston Dynamo.

Columbus Crew travel to the reigning Eastern Conference champs, Philadelphia Union.

Very high expectations for FCC this year after they made the Eastern Conference semi-finals and only strengthened the squad during the offseason.

After changing coaches and dumping some players, it seems the Crew are 100% in a rebuild. Things obviously didn't go well week 1; a 4-1 loss to Philly. But there were encouraging signs. Will be interesting to watch how they improve

Messi to the MLS:

If Beckham signing was a watershed moment, and Ibrahimovic and Rooney were 'next steps' in MLS progression, Messi signing with MLS months after winning the World Cup is Earth-Shattering.

it's not just that it elevates the level of MLS internationally and quality of play trying to compete with him, but the money his signing will bring in through things like increase ticket prices/demand, sponsorships around the league, shirt sales internationally, etc. That money is going to be huge for the league in general.

San Diego got in at just the right time. The talks of 40 teams in MLS seem impossible now. Will Sacramento, Indianapolis, Louisville, Phoenix, Las Vegas etc be able to pay the assumed increase to expansion fees?

I'm sure Messi and Ronaldo will both be here for their pre-retirement tour. Messi has no more to prove so why not spend some time in Miami

I'm sure Messi and Ronaldo will both be here for their pre-retirement tour. Messi has no more to prove so why not spend some time in Miami
I would be OK with the MLS having a pre-retirement League component for top level world players that want some US exposure for marketing or investment reasons, Pele started that tradition. Better than these guys going to Liga MX or some Saudi Arabia thing. Very few sports stars end in the uniform that they are most recognized in:

1686322828698.png

1686322908076.png

For what it's worth, Messi apparently turned down a 3 year, 1.6 Billion Euro deal from Saudi Arabia.

Not that he's not getting a monster deal from Miami, just not in the billions (at least not upfront).

Speaking of Saudi Arabia, the Crew sold Lucas Zelarayan to a Saudi team right before their match with Club America (somehow the Crew managed to win it 4-1). A bit of a gut punch move as he's arguably their best player and they're setting up to make the post-season.

They did however follow it up by signing Diego Rossi from Fenerbahce, so we'll see.