Jackson Band - 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

polar_purple

A few people have been asking me about activities surrounding the Jackson Band, THE PURPLE ARMY. Here is what I've been able to confirm on the FALL schedule:

09/19/09 at 7pm - Jackson Band Show at Fife Stadium. Cost is $5 per person and there will be at least ten bands performing. I know for certain that Jackson, Barberton, Lake, Marlington, Stow, Hoover, Girard & GlenOak are attending. Not sure what the others are. Note that the Federal League bands (Lake, Hoover & GO) are the bands from the AWAY games this year. So if you don't want to travel to see their bands at those away games, you can still see them easily enough on 9/19.

09/25/09 at 7:30pm - Jackson vs. McKinley football game at Fife Stadium. The "Golden Bears" alumni band will join the regular band at halftime.

10/09/09 at 7:30pm - Jackson vs. Boardman football game at Fife Stadium. This will be Jackson's homecoming game AND the annual Blacklight Show.

10/23/09 at 7:30pm - Jackson vs. Perry football game at Fife Stadium.

Hopefully I'll have more to address later, as I learn details on their winter schedule.

Jackson is proud of the band

Yipeee..Honestly

The Jackson community supports the marching band. Period. I know that this is a sports website, but have you ever noticed how many people leave the football games after the Jackson band plays at halftime. And they wear the official school colors..purple and gold. Purple and black reminds me of a bruise!

If the band show is so fun and exciting then do it on Saturday night and the football game wont get in the way.

If the band show is so fun and exciting then do it on Saturday night and the football game wont get in the way.

I'm not a big band fan (and my eldest played in it, even), but realistically in Jackson, Friday nights are community nights that, while centered around a football game, also involve many other things from bands to cheerleaders to concessions to social gatherings. Those folks that come for the band (which is admittedly pretty good), also pay for their tickets, whether they care much about the football aspect of it or not.

So I suppose if you don't want to watch the halftime entertainment, then that's fine. But I wouldn't get flustered by those that do enjoy it. Hey, you know where the empty seats are after the half - move into them and enjoy the rest of the game from midfield!

And since our team is off to its (unfortunately) worst start in 46 years, I'd say any entertainment is good entertainment at this point. :dang:

Jackson band

I support all Jackson sports. In fact, my dad was in the first Varsity J class in the '60s. I am just saying that smug comments about the band aren't cool. Respect is the key word.:)

Out of Control

I am just saying that smug comments about the band aren't cool. Respect is the key word.

Regarding to your above statement some band people and members should remember that when they address and make comments about the Football Team. The world does not revolve around the Jackson Band contrary to belief. It would appear that our band has been out performed by the visiting bands. I wish there would be some sort of update on the music they play. Why when smaller bands enter Fiff Stadium they play louder,more in tune, and have a better selection. Just a question?

I wish the band would not play when Jackson Offense is on the field. The reason is you are helping the other team with YOUR noise or maybe that is your point.

The Jackson community supports the marching band.Period.

Not if you keep gouging us at the Concession Stands.
But does the band support the community back? Not in all cases. I guess no humanitarian awards are coming for the Band Booster Club for the specific unfortunate events I know of.

I know that this is a sports website, but have you ever noticed how many people leave the football games after the Jackson band plays at halftime.

Does this example help your point? I think not it shows selfishness and arrogance of those individuals but thanks for buying a ticket though.

And they wear the official school colors..purple and gold. Purple and black reminds me of a bruise!

No matter the color choice We are All Jackson!!!

I was at the band show 2 weekends ago and Jackson's performance was pretty good. I was kind of disappointed in Hoover, quite honestly. Having seen their show the year prior, which was a knockout, this year's seeemed to pale by comparison. Anyone else agree.

You do not fool with the Jackson Band, Just ask Elmer Scheetz. Darksider, watch out or you'll be wearing a cement tuba at the bottom of Lake Cable.

Last edited:
What is this all about?

:shrug:
Regarding to your above statement some band people and members should remember that when they address and make comments about the Football Team. The world does not revolve around the Jackson Band contrary to belief. It would appear that our band has been out performed by the visiting bands. I wish there would be some sort of update on the music they play. Why when smaller bands enter Fiff Stadium they play louder,more in tune, and have a better selection. Just a question?

I wish the band would not play when Jackson Offense is on the field. The reason is you are helping the other team with YOUR noise or maybe that is your point.

Not if you keep gouging us at the Concession Stands.
But does the band support the community back? Not in all cases. I guess no humanitarian awards are coming for the Band Booster Club for the specific unfortunate events I know of.

Does this example help your point? I think not it shows selfishness and arrogance of those individuals but thanks for buying a ticket though.

No matter the color choice We are All Jackson!!!

Back in the day

What happened? I'm on the edge of my seat fill me in.

Back in 1994 or 1995, Coach Scheetz got mad at the band and started yelling, etc during a game. He had to apologize to the band and Mr.D during class and it was around that time that Coach Mauro was hired. Any alumni knows this.

Based on what was written I thought you were talking about another situation. I knew about that one. My point is the band should not play when the offense is on the field trying to communicate. Here is an example you might understand: the band is playing and another group starts distracting them with something annoying.

Based on what was written I thought you were talking about another situation. I knew about that one. My point is the band should not play when the offense is on the field trying to communicate. Here is an example you might understand: the band is playing and another group starts distracting them with something annoying.

The OHSAA states that bands are not allowed to play while the ball is in play or the quarterback is calling signals. This is from the OHSAA's 2009 Coaches/Officials Manual.

G. Bands shall not play music at football games while the ball is in play, or while signals are being called by the quarterback. This means that it is not permissible to use either:
1. Drum roll or beat
2. Cymbals clashing
3. Horn sounds, or
4. Any other kind of musical instrument while the play is underway in football.

Thank You for the info

The OHSAA states that bands are not allowed to play while the ball is in play or the quarterback is calling signals. This is from the OHSAA's 2009 Coaches/Officials Manual.

G. Bands shall not play music at football games while the ball is in play, or while signals are being called by the quarterback. This means that it is not permissible to use either:
1. Drum roll or beat
2. Cymbals clashing
3. Horn sounds, or
4. Any other kind of musical instrument while the play is underway in football.

Well not only does Jackson do it but so does every other band. I would first like to get our band to follow this simple rule first though. I wonder if our band Director knows this bit of info or just chooses not to follow it. The Blacklight show is this week so al the energy will be for that.

Okay guys, I'm gonna close this one up. I intended this thread to be an announcement of the band's activities, and it's only turned into a love/hate band thread. Time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.