IVC 23-24

Update on Hiland situation. District sent a letter out to all parents saying that:

1)The independent law firm investigation has concluded.

2) No Title IX violations.

3) No sexual misconduct or abuse.

Some kind of school discipline may be handed down and will likely be known shortly.

Anyway, this situation shows why we need to be cautious about believing what the rumor mill churns out. What I heard from the mill and what this turned out to be were drastically different - to say the least.

I'm told there is a significant athletic suspension from Hiland. People feel like it's excessive considering what actually happened and what the kids have been through this summer with rumors etc. The school has to draw a hard line when there's any hazing/fighting involved. Even though there was no ill intent the district still has to set a precedent. Should give some teams a leg up in the IVC race early in the season. Hilands schedule is brutal. Spire Academy,Lutheran East,Ottawa Glandorf,Dover and a tough IVC so they will have a number of losses going into the tournament but should be better at the end of the season. Sandy Valley should be the favorite IMO with Garaway and Indian Valley right there as well.

Last edited:
I'm told there is a significant athletic suspension from Hiland. People feel like it's excessive considering what actually happened and what the kids have been through this summer with rumors etc. The school has to draw a hard line when there's any hazing/fighting involved. Even though there was no ill intent the district still has to set a precedent. Should give some teams a leg up in the IVC race early in the season. Hilands schedule is brutal. Spire Academy,Lutheran East,Ottawa Glandorf,Dover and a tough IVC so they will have a number of losses going into the tournament but should be better at the end of the season. Sandy Valley should be the favorite IMO with Garaway and Indian Valley right there as well.
I believe you are correct on the discipline and its implications for on the court.

I really like everything I hear about Malvern. Is this the Year of Tucci?

I hope so for tucci’s sake 😂
I've watched the Schlabachs do something really interesting. They push kids hard in the summer, fall, and into January. They coach hard, criticize kids, and do things to create a greater degree of mental toughness.

Then, as the tournament approaches, they back off the emotional pressure and get more positive and encouraging. I don't know if that is related to their success in March, but I strongly suspect it is.

By Feb, you have created all the mental toughness that you can and doing more has the potential to wear kids out.

I have no idea of how valid any of that is or if it relates to Malvern's situation. I couldn't coach dogs to bark and certainly have no standing to question a coach with Den's resume.

I want to see him and his kids have post-season success. I just wonder if he could benefit from backing off at the last part of the season because I have seen them lose games in March where I perceived his kids were mentally exhausted. FWIW

Anyone with direct knowledge of the allegations/investigation at Hiland, please contact me at:
Carlmondaymedia@gmail.com. (216)310-3020. Thanks.
I hope this is a joke, but if it isn't, I doubt anyone on here has "direct knowledge." I think we had a poster who said his son was a player, so that may qualify.

But I would discourage any parents or player from talking to the media. Nothing good that I see could come from that. If you want this to die, talking to Carl isn't the way to accomplish that. Lol.

Given that the independent law firm found what they reported, for there to be some kind of deeper, hidden truth here, i.e., sexual abuse, criminal hazing, cover up, etc., about 10 kids and their parents - every single person with direct knowledge - would have to be willing to lie to protect a player(s) from heinous crimes for the purpose of having a good basketball season. To me, that doesn't pass the laugh test.

In addition, the law firm would have to be in on it or complicit in some way. Now we are into full tin foil hat conspiracy theory territory.

Last edited:
I hope this is a joke, but if it isn't, I doubt anyone on here has "direct knowledge." I think we had a poster who said his son was a player, so that may qualify.

But I would discourage any parents or player from talking to the media. Nothing good that I see could come from that. If you want this to die, talking to Carl isn't the way to accomplish that. Lol.

Given that the independent law firm found what they reported, for there to be some kind of deeper, hidden truth here, i.e., sexual abuse, criminal hazing, cover up, etc., about 10 kids and their parents - every single person with direct knowledge - would have to be willing to lie to protect a player(s) from heinous crimes for the purpose of having a good basketball season. To me, that doesn't pass the laugh test.

In addition, the law firm would have to be in on it or complicit in some way. Now we are into full tin foil hat conspiracy theory territory.
there's no way it's true some goof started a membership to get Hiland fans upset don't let it work

there's no way it's true some goof started a membership to get Hiland fans upset don't let it work
IDK. There are phone numbers and email addresses and it was known that Carl was sniffing around.

Last edited:
As is usually the case the parents could take a good lesson from the kids on how to handle a difficult situation. Lot of issues stemming from petty things like parents being upset with their kids not getting enough playing time or not getting a JV jersey as a freshman. Wonder how many schools deal with that?

As is usually the case the parents could take a good lesson from the kids on how to handle a difficult situation. Lot of issues stemming from petty things like parents being upset with their kids not getting enough playing time or not getting a JV jersey as a freshman. Wonder how many schools deal with that?
Lol. Almost all of them.

I gotta say, we used to have a winter sports parents meeting around this time of the year. The AD would get up and tell everyone that coaches would only talk to you about your child's health and welfare and that coaches would absolutely not talk to parents about role, playing time, scheme, strategy, etc, and neither would the AD or any administrator. I never heard of any parent even trying it.

I heard parents grumble from time to time among themselves, but not much. It was relatively peaceful back then about 10 to 15+ years ago. If that has changed, that's unfortunate.

Just the success, resume, and experience Mark Schlabach has should prevent parents from questioning his basketball judgment. It's absurd.

Mark wants to play 10-12 kids. He wants to win games, so he will play any player who is productive in some way and doesn't cost the team. So, if someone's kid isn't playing as much as they want, the solution is for the kid to work hard and become a more productive player. Bitching about it won't help anyone or do anyone any good. End of rant. :)

Lol. Almost all of them.

I gotta say, we used to have a winter sports parents meeting around this time of the year. The AD would get up and tell everyone that coaches would only talk to you about your child's health and welfare and that coaches would absolutely not talk to parents about role, playing time, scheme, strategy, etc, and neither would the AD or any administrator. I never heard of any parent even trying it.

I heard parents grumble from time to time among themselves, but not much. It was relatively peaceful back then about 10 to 15+ years ago. If that has changed, that's unfortunate.

Just the success, resume, and experience Mark Schlabach has should prevent parents from questioning his basketball judgment. It's absurd.

Mark wants to play 10-12 kids. He wants to win games, so he will play any player who is productive in some way and doesn't cost the team. So, if someone's kid isn't playing as much as they want, the solution is for the kid to work hard and become a more productive player. Bitching about it won't help anyone or do anyone any good. End of rant. :)
EXACTLY, but the Coaching world is BRUTAL !

3 day school suspension and a 7 game basketball suspension for violation of school policy.

Can you confirm?

Let's just move on from this debacle,the suspension is in place,we will have SD back in our holiday showcase game, let's just talk about IVC basketball coming up this season

3 day school suspension and a 7 game basketball suspension for violation of school policy.

Can you confirm?
To some people it might not seem like much, idk if this one of hiland better players of not, but if it is could hurt their chances on college recruiting if they are good enough to play in college. If they really did suspend someone for 7 games.

I saw on Social Media that Hiland put out another press release that a staff member has been put on paid leave for another investigation. Hope they can sort all of this out.

To some people it might not seem like much, idk if this one of hiland better players of not, but if it is could hurt their chances on college recruiting if they are good enough to play in college. If they really did suspend someone for 7 games.

I saw on Social Media that Hiland put out another press release that a staff member has been put on paid leave for another investigation. Hope they can sort all of this out.
I agree with Buck. Time to move on and talk real basketball. It will not affect his college options i dont think. He's a good kid and the coaches have always loved him. College coaches were in contact with him throughout the summer and knew the truth because of their conversations with the Hiland coaches. Heard this from a coach. Also heard about an exchange student for Indian Valley that's really good. Anyone know anything about him? Supposed to make them the IVC favorites

I agree with Buck. Time to move on and talk real basketball. It will not affect his college options i dont think. He's a good kid and the coaches have always loved him. College coaches were in contact with him throughout the summer and knew the truth because of their conversations with the Hiland coaches. Heard this from a coach. Also heard about an exchange student for Indian Valley that's really good. Anyone know anything about him? Supposed to make them the IVC favorites
The best exchange student player I ever saw was the big Australian at Triway. Sebastian something (Weber?) - circa 2005. He was 6-10 and when you are that big, you don't have to be very skilled, but he was. He was combined with the Rottman brothers and Jeff McCartney and they were a very good team.

As a general rule, most exchange students struggle to adapt to the style of play of American basketball. We will have to see if Indian Valleys exchange student can learn quickly.

Last edited:
I was thinking Conotton Valley had a pretty good exchange student at one time, not to long ago,I might be wrong about this

The South is going to be a slug fest. Hiland, IV and SV have to be the favorites but Claymont was good last year, Garaway always be stout, TV is another year older, same with Ridgewood. IV & Garaway could get off to a slow starts due to their prolonged playoff runs.

The south will be an any given night league any team can beat anyone on a given night better bring your A game every night which is tough for high school kids.

Hiland's non-league schedule this season,has to be a all time toughest they have ever had
Spire Academy, and were not sure which team they will bring
d1 Dover
D2 University School
D3 state powerhouse Lutheran East
D3 Wayne Trace, another very good team from Western Ohio
D3 Ottawa Glandorf, a team that should be in the final 4,and I think there best player, just committed to Ohio State
Linsly Academy from w.va always very good
Then to top it off with a very tough IVSouth conference

I hope the Tusky Valley band tragedy today helps all of us have a good perspective on what is important and where sports fits into our list of important things.

It's important - as a diversion. My two best friends are guys I met from two other IVC schools and our kids competed against each other. The kids graduated long ago and moved on in life, but those friendships have endured and strengthened. I think when sports does things like that, it serves its best purpose. FWIW

Went and watched the West Holmes and Ridgewood scrimmage at WH,the generals could be in for a long season, didn't show me much at all,the Knights might be a decent team by end of December, after football guys get there basketball legs