Is this a Junior High joke???

Comet Ment

What other school district like Mason hires failed Youth football coaches to then coach the 8th grade team?? Is this a joke?? It's a junior high school team!! Not a freakin' recreational team. I guess we'll have hugs all around.

What other school district like Mason hires failed Youth football coaches to then coach the 8th grade team?? Is this a joke?? It's a junior high school team!! Not a freakin' recreational team. I guess we'll have hugs all around.

Those that actively partake in Favoritism, Cronyism, and Nepotism? ;)

The "Commitment to Excellence" should not apply just to the kids. Where is the commitment to give the kids access to the best coaching as well?

If your son has no talent are you really doing him and the team a favor by not playing the kids who should be out there? That is not what football is all about!!

I can tell you that winning is not the top priority at Mason until Varsity, Coach Castner is really open about that. He wants them to compete but its all about building a program, so everyone is supposed to play every game. So when they have 50 kids per team its about getting kids interested in football.

That being said Mason is still successful at all levels. Heck the incoming 8th grade teams both went undefeated. Anyone who follows GMC junior high football will tell you that Mason has twice the number of coaches as any other GMC team.

I can tell you that winning is not the top priority at Mason until Varsity, Coach Castner is really open about that. He wants them to compete but its all about building a program, so everyone is supposed to play every game. So when they have 50 kids per team its about getting kids interested in football.

That being said Mason is still successful at all levels. Heck the incoming 8th grade teams both went undefeated. Anyone who follows GMC junior high football will tell you that Mason has twice the number of coaches as any other GMC team.

Almost every Mason Jr High and Freshman team go undefeated, over the last 4-5 years the Jr. High and Freshman teams have been engineered to produce raw numbers of kids moving up to JV and varsity. While they do win a lot, it's not the focus of the program, it has been to keep kids interested in football.

Almost every Mason Jr High and Freshman team go undefeated, over the last 4-5 years the Jr. High and Freshman teams have been engineered to produce raw numbers of kids moving up to JV and varsity. While they do win a lot, it's not the focus of the program, it has been to keep kids interested in football.

So what do you do about the 10-12 core kids in the football program? There are numbers at the 8th grade level but only about 12 hard core studs. About 25-30 who the coaches possibly are able to work with and develope. The rest are turds. Do you continue to cater to the turds who will never make the cut? The coaches are not doing these kids a favor by fueling false hopes and the hard core kids will just move on to different programs. It's pretty obvious that generating numbers isn't the key to success given Mason's performance over the last few years. What is obvious is we'll let little Johnny go out and get the shizznet kicked out of him because daddy is the coach. Middle school should be about teaching the athletes who are teachable. You need to have people who understand the game and are able to teach. It's not about being able to weasel your way onto the coaching staff to get your kid some playing time. Oh, and if you want to have everyone feel good and give undeserved accolades, FORM AND COACH A BADMITTON LEAGUE FOR CHRIST SAKES!!!!!!!

So what do you do about the 10-12 core kids in the football program? There are numbers at the 8th grade level but only about 12 hard core studs. About 25-30 who the coaches possibly are able to work with and develope. The rest are turds. Do you continue to cater to the turds who will never make the cut? The coaches are not doing these kids a favor by fueling false hopes and the hard core kids will just move on to different programs. It's pretty obvious that generating numbers isn't the key to success given Mason's performance over the last few years. What is obvious is we'll let little Johnny go out and get the shizznet kicked out of him because daddy is the coach. Middle school should be about teaching the athletes who are teachable. You need to have people who understand the game and are able to teach. It's not about being able to weasel your way onto the coaching staff to get your kid some playing time. Oh, and if you want to have everyone feel good and give undeserved accolades, FORM AND COACH A BADMITTON LEAGUE FOR CHRIST SAKES!!!!!!!

If you honestly think that success in Junior High means success in High School you are crazy. I have seen kids who are the smallest on the team at that age end up being the biggest. Trying to say that the 12 best kids now deserve all the attention is insane, and I don't even understand how someone could be so selfish to think so.

This is a public school's junior high football team that anyone is allowed to play on, this is not a select baseball or basketball league. Get over yourself and try to have an ounce of modesty. Let the coaches coach and tell your kid to make the 10 to 20 plays a game he gets count. I guarantee your kid will learn something if you stay out of his sports, but if you have this stewing in his head you will ruin any chance of him being successful because he will become uncoachable.

So you must be new to Mason.... Prior to about 2009, the emphasis was on the 8-10 good players that were in each grade. They played both ways, they played the key positions, they were very good, but there wasn't enough of them, especially after the move to the GMC.

Mason was dressing 100-140 boys in 7th grade and only 25-30 boys for the freshman teams in 2009-2011 and 2-3 of the good players from each class were lining up for Moeller or X. Parents and coaches noticed that there were some large boys wandering the halls on school days that weren't playing football anymore and wondering if the 6-4, 2-8, 3-7 teams might have benefitted from some help.

Your 8-10 'studs' are going to play and get the attention, the other 30-40 that you need to develop in order to have good practices and fill in if/when someone goes down is also important. The good players still get the instruction and the playing time. Also the 'studs' from youth football are seldom the studs in Jr High and many of those fall aside as off-season programs allow others to grow and develop as they move to HS.

So what do you do about the 10-12 core kids in the football program? There are numbers at the 8th grade level but only about 12 hard core studs. About 25-30 who the coaches possibly are able to work with and develope. The rest are turds.

Thank goodness the powers that be in Mason no longer think like you do. The "studs" in 8th grade are oftentimes the kids with precocious growth... you see it in EVERY sport. As the kids grow and mature that uneven playing field usually balances out. Under your plan, you ditch 95% of the kids at the 8th grade level who aren't shaving at 13 years of age and those kids then become disenchanted with football and go out, grow up, and dominate in every other sport in Mason's athletic program when they physically mature.

Ever wonder why Mason is THE dominant athletic program in SW Ohio in both boys and girls public HS sports and yet the football team has historically struggled... it's because historically the guys in charge have thought like you. In years past I've seen Mason youth coaches pass over the short, scrawny 6th graders even though Dad is 6'4 and 240. Ever heard of genetics? The thing is... the kid who is 5'10" and 150 pounds in 5th grade isn't going to grow to be 9'1" and 500 pounds when he's a senior. By catering to only a few that physically mature at a very early age you are completely negating one of the school district's greatest strengths... numbers.

Just imagine a Mason football program that took the hundreds of kids who want to play for the Comets as youngsters and taught them all the game... gave them all a chance to play when records don't matter... and then reaped the benefit in HS when they get to cherry pick the cream of the crop from an an army of kids who know the system, love the game, have grown and matured with some of the best facilities in the state! Now THAT would be something! They do it in every other sport... once the football program figures this out, there's no reason not to expect a similar level of excellence on the gridiron as well.

Last edited:
Yes, thank goodness they no longer think like me in Mason. How do they think? Oh that's right, it's a social gathering for the parents where all boys are to feel good looking, smart and talented. Hey, I never said to only focus on the 8-12 hard core kids in the program. They usually know what they want to do and how their going to get there. A third of them usually go above and beyond what is required to ensure success. You also have on average about 40 kids who with work, will be an asset to your program. Then, you have the hangers on. They only played in youth because of a lack of bodies or daddy was the coach. If dad is not a coach the kid still played because coach dad is a neighbor or friend. I'm sorry but you start cutting. "Work hard until next year son and come back and try again". If the kid truly wants to play he won't give up. I'm sorry if one of your kids is unable to make the cut but he's only going to take the coaches time away from a kid who is teachable. Which brings me back to my argument about having daddy as a coach on the team. Is he a teacher or administrator? Did he play in the college ranks or the pro's? Did he do exceptionally well in youth ball so he deserves a chance to move to the next level? If the answer to each is no then what business does he have trying to coach Junior high boys who are moving to the next level. Who could be turned into good ballplayers. The comments so far only confirm my belief that a number of people in Mason are part of the problem and not the solution. The parents who keep feeding these kids false hopes are not doing their kids any favors. One day junior is going to come up against the harsh realities of life where mommy and daddy have no influence. My original point in this is unless you're qualified, keep the dad's out of it!

By your logic, I would have never went on to play college football. I started playing football in 8th grade, I had no idea what I was doing. Luckily I was in a program that is like the one Mason has now where everyone plays at this age some may play more but everyone gets to play. Middle school is about fun and getting kids interested in the sport as should peewee football. I think many good athletes quit football because of how insane it is at such a young age. Mason is guilty of this too, peewee football is taken too seriously.

By your logic, I would have never went on to play college football. I started playing football in 8th grade, I had no idea what I was doing. Luckily I was in a program that is like the one Mason has now where everyone plays at this age some may play more but everyone gets to play. Middle school is about fun and getting kids interested in the sport as should peewee football. I think many good athletes quit football because of how insane it is at such a young age. Mason is guilty of this too, peewee football is taken too seriously.

My guess is your coaches saw a kid that had raw talent and potential. You just needed someone to work with you and you took advantage of it. Congrats! Now, if you would have had 115 other kids on the field and 50 of them had no business out there, you would have been screwed and not enjoyed the success you had.