Is Gas Line Insurance A Good Buy?

EagleGuy

My natural gas company has been trying for years to get me to buy insurance covering damage to the gas line that runs through the yard. I have trees and have some concern the roots may cause damage.

Recently, my homeowner's insurance has offered a rider for the same insurance. Also, a cybersecurity rider. Do you have experience with either of these two coverages?

Pop always said you could be insurance poor. :) A quick google shows a gas line cost of $5.49/month for $8k coverage. That said, would you consider buying gas line - or cyber - insurance?

Last edited:

I didn't have the insurance when we had a gas line leak 25 years ago. In hindsight I wish I had, w think was two or three bucks a month. The companies I called back then quoted $2000 to $5000. I shudder to think of the cost today.

Friend of ours contacted a fireman he worked with who'd been doing it as his second job for years. Guy told me $600 if I dug the hole. I said, come on out.

Dude was a pro, came with his own fully-equipped service truck. Even told me to how soon to call the gas company before he was done, because he knew how long it would take for them to get there to inspect and turn it back on. And they showed up just as he was finishing.

Our house was 35 years old when it happened, and a number of houses in the neighborhood had done theirs already. I am considering the insurance for our water line, but those don't seem to need replacing near as often as gas.

Last edited:
I didn't have the insurance when we had a gas line leak 25 years ago. In hindsight I wish I had, w think was two or three bucks a month. The companies I called back then quoted $2000 to $5000. I shudder to think of the cost today.

Friend of ours contacted a fireman he worked with who'd been doing it as his second job for years. Guy told me $600 if I dug the hole. I said, come on out.

Dude was a pro, came with his own fully-equipped service truck. Even told me to how soon to call the gas company before he was done, because he knew how long it would take for them to get there to inspect and turn it back on. And they showed up just as he was finishing.

Our house was 35 years old when it happened, and a number of houses in the neighborhood had done theirs already. I am considering the insurance for our water line, but those don't seem to need replacing near as often as gas.
I just got an email from my gas company about coverage. I think I will look into that and my homeowner's insurance offer and make a decision.

Considering how difficult it is today to get a responsible party to do anything in a timely and cost-effective way, I am leaning toward getting it.

Thanks for the input.

I just got an email from my gas company about coverage. I think I will look into that and my homeowner's insurance offer and make a decision.

Considering how difficult it is today to get a responsible party to do anything in a timely and cost-effective way, I am leaning toward getting it.

Thanks for the input.
Cyber security insurance and really all insurance is only as good as the company baking the policy. I tend to side with your Pop on insurance and potential poverty. I decided 30 years ago I was either going to insure most everything, or insure as few things as possible. After taking out a policy on a new computer that was $3,000 at the time of purchase, we did have an issue with the computer while still under the coverage period. I don't recall all the reasons they would not actually pay for any of the repairs, but one reason was it had not been registered properly with the manufacturer. I had sent the little card back in but apparently they had not entered the information into their system, so my third party insurance found a way out of covering my problem. So at that point I decided never to purchase small, stand alone policies.

My advice, if the cyber insurance is a rider on your larger homeowner's policy, that is much better protection than a stand alone policy. I will say though, i requested for my homeowner's to drop that portion off my homeowner's about 20 years ago, saving $8 /year. I review my policy every year, and watch out specifically for things like outbuildings that really need torn down being insured for $40,000 replacement cost and being $200-$300 per year on the policy.

As for the gas line insurance, I believe most policies insure against leaks much the same way they insure your roof. Early on, when the line is new, they likely will pay much of the repair cost. But as the line ages, they use a formula to depreciate lifetime expectancy and thus lower each year their portion of liability for repair. So often, just when you finally need it, you may not really have it?

My solution for my own personal situation was to increase my deductible from $1,000 to $10,000. My policy was decreased by $800 / year by doing this, and I have thus far had zero claims. Of course, a door being damaged by the wind or a garage door being hit by a wayward teen now becomes my problem not theirs. I like to fix things, and have equipment such as backhoe, excavator etc. On hand so that probably taints my view of needing insurance a bit, what i need more now than ever is energy to use the stuff, but I can't find where to purchase deaging insurance.

As for tree roots and insurance, look over the policy carefully, some insurances of people I have done work for have specific language in the policy where coverage is voided if tree vegetation is not kept 30 ft away from overtop of the line in question. My homeowner's policy specifically states that for my leach field area.

Happy decision making. At least just being a couple bucks per month will not break the bank, but may buy a few good nights sleep, regardless of future outcome that's a pretty fair deal.

The policy is only worth the paper it's written on. It's the company that is backing it that matters. Having it on your homeowners insurance is much more reliable.

Cyber security is a big new thing that's really cheap. Honestly it's probably worth it for you. The coverage is ridiculously high for the premium charged. As for gas line, I don't use gas but I'd go buy age of the property and how long you've owned it. If you're at 50 years or more with no repairs you're aware of I'd consider it.

So from the house to the main is my responsibility?
That is correct, at least with Columbia Gas.

My father had gas leak on the main in his median strip, killed the grass in a perfect circle at that spot. You could smell the gas every day. Columbia came out, confirmed it, then didn't do anything for a month before they finally came and repaired it. Just let it leak every day.

But boy, let it be on that offshoot line, and they'll shut you down in a heartbeat until you fix it.

That is correct, at least with Columbia Gas.

My father had gas leak on the main in his median strip, killed the grass in a perfect circle at that spot. You could smell the gas every day. Columbia came out, confirmed it, then didn't do anything for a month before they finally came and repaired it. Just let it leak every day.

But boy, let it be on that offshoot line, and they'll shut you down in a heartbeat until you fix it.
F the insurance. Sounds like fun. I've never heard of such nonsense in my life so Ill take my chances.

I know for water, the city was only responsible from the cutoff at the road. Everything after _except_ the meter was all my responsibility. I'd assume gas would be similar. The utility has no way of maintaining your property from the road to your house to avoid roots, settling, etc.

The policy is only worth the paper it's written on. It's the company that is backing it that matters. Having it on your homeowners insurance is much more reliable.

Cyber security is a big new thing that's really cheap. Honestly it's probably worth it for you. The coverage is ridiculously high for the premium charged. As for gas line, I don't use gas but I'd go buy age of the property and how long you've owned it. If you're at 50 years or more with no repairs you're aware of I'd consider it.
If your at 50 years with no repairs isn't the policy going to dictate it's time to replace and not offer any help in paying for the replacement? That's how roof damage has worked for me before. I had serious storm (hail) damage to a 35 year old asphalt shingle roof. And my insurance said even though it had been in great shape prior to all the golf ball indentations they would offer zero for a roof that was 5 years outside of expected life expectancy. There was a garage that had been added on 20 years prior so they offered to pay 1/3 of my garage replacement cost after the deductible, which in my case meant I paid for everything.

If your at 50 years with no repairs isn't the policy going to dictate it's time to replace and not offer any help in paying for the replacement? That's how roof damage has worked for me before. I had serious storm (hail) damage to a 35 year old asphalt shingle roof. And my insurance said even though it had been in great shape prior to all the golf ball indentations they would offer zero for a roof that was 5 years outside of expected life expectancy. There was a garage that had been added on 20 years prior so they offered to pay 1/3 of my garage replacement cost after the deductible, which in my case meant I paid for everything.
Roofing is a consumable. It has a lifespan and yes insurance won't cover a roof of its too old.

I meant for 50 years if the previous owners knew or had work done. Usually if you've owned the house a few years you'd have no way of knowing. The insurance would just base their rate off the age of the house.