Is AI an existential threat to humanity?

Yes.

Years ago, I wondered what all the fuss was about when experts kept warning us about AI. I wasn't too concerned. Ignorance was bliss, I suppose. Now I know a little more and AI's potential is pretty alarming. Existential threat? Yes.

Yes.

Years ago, I wondered what all the fuss was about when experts kept warning us about AI. I wasn't too concerned. Ignorance was bliss, I suppose. Now I know a little more and AI's potential is pretty alarming. Existential threat? Yes.
About 20-25 years ago, I had an IT class where we spent some time discussing machine learning.

Back then, I thought it was pretty cool. Today? Not so much.

About 40-45 years ago, I had an EE class where we spent some time discussing machine learning.

Back then, we had a pretty good idea where it was headed. Just needed the machines fast enough and memory dense enough.That Moore's would be exceeded through alternative architectures and data transmission was already accepted. Thoughts of storing information in molecules already discussed and probably somewhere, researched if not developed were easy imaginings. When I considered the leaps the government workplace was ahead even of what I knew to be happening at universities and that there were other agencies probably more advanced, let alone other countries?

Treat your computing devices nicely. Give them treats. They may be more sentient than you know.

Is AI an existential threat to humanity?
Not the FEmale ones, who walk like lil animals, and look like the girl of your dreams. And utter sweet nothings in your ear. The CURE for the proverbial nagging spouse. But since they will be programmed with a basic set of personality traits. It will be up to YOU, to create the refined person you want her to be, good or BAD. But be careful, bad actions reap bad REACTIONS, SO BEWARE!!! You DON'T want a pissed off A I.

Last edited:
No. Not even close. It's at best a good plagiarism machine and a way to create CGI on the cheap. At worst, it's a bad and inaccurate encyclopedia.

Here, try something fun: go ask it if Microsoft's overseas employees should be allowed to unionize. See what it says.

No. Not even close. It's at best a good plagiarism machine and a way to create CGI on the cheap. At worst, it's a bad and inaccurate encyclopedia.

Here, try something fun: go ask it if Microsoft's overseas employees should be allowed to unionize. See what it says.
You’re assuming it won’t evolve and become better. I’m honestly terrified of what AI could become.

I did enjoy seeing the Swifties lose their minds over the graphic AI images of her getting pounded in every position and orifice. However, that shows how a scary AI can be. Everyone knew those images were fake bc she’s such a high profile celebrity. However, those some types of graphic images are more damaging for regular people, who don’t have the celebrity status to debunk this.

AI is going to probably push society back toward "analog" in a sense. Images and videos can be completely fabricated, making them an untrustworthy at best method of obtaining information

I say it’s a threat. I don’t know how to download articles but a Baltimore principal was fired for “his” anti Semetic and racists comments caught on tape. Turns out a disgruntled former employee used AI voice generator to say it was his former boss.

I say it’s a threat. I don’t know how to download articles but a Baltimore principal was fired for “his” anti Semetic and racists comments caught on tape. Turns out a disgruntled former employee used AI voice generator to say it was his former boss.
Stuff like that happens but when the internet came out people put out fake websites and still do to try get your info. Try MSFT co-pilot a couple of times. Answers almost any question without taking you to a website to do so. These companies META, MSFT, Google and others would not be spending billions of dollars if AI was not the "real deal".

Country singer Randy Travis released a new song today (May 3, 2024). However, almost 11 years ago, he suffered a stroke and lost most of his ability to talk/sing. AI is what made this new song happen. My question, are you okay with hearing new music from artists like this, or even those that are dead? Because that’s what I foresee happening.

Country singer Randy Travis released a new song today (May 3, 2024). However, almost 11 years ago, he suffered a stroke and lost most of his ability to talk/sing. AI is what made this new song happen. My question, are you okay with hearing new music from artists like this, or even those that are dead? Because that’s what I foresee happening.
Have a lot of mixed opinions on this.

Reasons why I'm okay with it:

It's his imagination that came up with the song. His choice of instruments, melody, etc.

It's not posthumous.

Reasons Why I'm not okay with it:

Most artists are credited with a song when they themselves perform or sing it. Otherwise, it's just someone else performing their song. And then they'd get writing credit, it's not their song.

However, musicians like Daft Punk sample sounds to create their own music and may or may not have an actual singer performing lines in a piece. But the piece is credited to Daft Punk. So, if the singing is entirely AI generated, or generated sounds composed in such a way creatively to sound like singing... would that be credit to the act composing it (Daft Punk) or the technician who created the software that creates the sounds used for the voice?

Now, this sounds like it's his voice was fed into an AI process and used to create the sounds for the lyrics. So, it is his voice. And it's his music. And he's still alive. So, why does it feel to me like it's still not his music then?

I'm not sure if I'm just being petty or if there's something else I'm overlooking. But, I'm not liking this primarily for the way it will invariably be used throughout the industry. The writers guild strike already basically outlawed the ability to use AI to write scripts in movies and TV in Hollywood. I feel like this should happen with recording as well. But there isn't such a stance here.

Now, this sounds like it's his voice was fed into an AI process and used to create the sounds for the lyrics. So, it is his voice. And it's his music. And he's still alive. So, why does it feel to me like it's still not his music then?
I am a Randy Travis fan and enjoy the new song. But, this is where I was left, after reading the story, and then watching the interviews on CBS News Sunday Morning.

I do believe the line between what is real and what is AI is going to continue to become very blurry.

For me the question depends on where AI is used and how loose we are with it. It doesn’t take long to search on the internet to find articles about AI becoming self aware and the story goes from there. As crazy as it sounds I believe humans using AI is more of a danger, as AI intelligence progresses, than AI becoming sentient.