I Don’t Get It…

Birthday treats were dealt with in pretty much the same way as Valentine's. One of my students evidently didn't like the "birthday treat for the whole class" rule. About three days in a row I saw him and his buddy eating giant candy bars at lunch time, and I asked him if he was selling them. He said no that they were birthday treats that he was supposed to share with the class, but he decided it was his birthday and his call. I decided not to make an issue of it.
This kid is clever... but unfortunately in my daughter's school that wouldn't fly because sharing food isn't allowed. They argue it's to avoid allergy issues (kid with allergy that doesn't grasp the seriousness of their situation gets a friend to give them candy with peanuts and dies from it....might make the school liable)... where I think it's more for them pawning their overpriced lunches on parents (I'm not paying $6/day for lunch for my daughter just to eat food from the school, a packed lunch is far cheaper).

I don't get why there is a " p" in " raspberry."
You scratched an itch, so I had to look it up.

The source of the name isn't exactly known. But it's believed to be based on "Raspoie" which was a germanic name for the berry (or, any berry, generally), and anglecized as "Rasp Berry" since Rasp meant "Rough". Basically, it's a rough berry since it's not smooth.

I don't get outer space. It just goes on for ever. And how can we see stuff that is trillions of miles away. And who measured the speed of light at 186,000 miles per second. And this past weekend I read about a supernova that has the energy of millions of our sun combined.

It all seems made up.

If you left earth traveling in any direction in a straight line, you probably won't hit anything.

So, if you go outside into an open lot and look straight up. The odds of any solid object being directly above your head is near 0%.

I don't get outer space. It just goes on for ever. And how can we see stuff that is trillions of miles away. And who measured the speed of light at 186,000 miles per second. And this past weekend I read about a supernova that has the energy of millions of our sun combined.

It all seems made up.
What we see is the light projected over time. When you look up at the stars keep in mind that two stars that appear next to each other are different distances from Earth. One could be 500 light years away and another could be 100 light years away. And of course if the closer of those stars had a supernova 10 years ago we will not see it for 110 years. Is time really a thing or a human invention?

What we see is the light projected over time. When you look up at the stars keep in mind that two stars that appear next to each other are different distances from Earth. One could be 500 light years away and another could be 100 light years away. And of course if the closer of those stars had a supernova 10 years ago we will not see it for 110 years. Is time really a thing or a human invention?
I'm not sure anybody knows exactly what "time" is. It appears to be lineal, i.e. the arrow of time, but then Einstein wove it into his spacetime continuum...more mind-blowing stuff.

Another total mystery to me is the concept of our own unique individual consciousness. Why does my human body contain my personal consciousness? The idea (theory?) of collective consciousness is a whole 'nuther head-scratcher, if it even exists.

You scratched an itch, so I had to look it up.

The source of the name isn't exactly known. But it's believed to be based on "Raspoie" which was a germanic name for the berry (or, any berry, generally), and anglecized as "Rasp Berry" since Rasp meant "Rough". Basically, it's a rough berry since it's not smooth.
Thank you.

I’m having a problem with a 20 year old toilet where the water in the bowl has been slowly rising over the last 10-12 years. I know this because the water in the bowl has been slowly creeping up my ball sack to the point now where it’s now damn near halfway underwater. I’ve been meaning to call a plumber, but I’m afraid of what he’s going to tell me.

I’m having a problem with a 20 year old toilet where the water in the bowl has been slowly rising over the last 10-12 years. I know this because the water in the bowl has been slowly creeping up my ball sack to the point now where it’s now damn near halfway underwater. I’ve been meaning to call a plumber, but I’m afraid of what he’s going to tell me.
My tip hits before the sack. FYI. ;)

I just don't get why so many people write " loose" instead of " lose," or " looser," instead of " loser."
A long time ago it was ignorance. But with autotext, autocorrect, swipe text, etc... it's just the grammar/dictionary rules of that keyboard app doesn't get the context and just picks one. And people became too indifferent to correct it. To the point that now people, I think, just generally don't know NOR care which one they write. And a basic idea is that language changes greatly over time.

Pretty soon, loose/lose, loser/looser will become homographs. Like live/live, read/read, etc. We'll eventually coalesce around one spelling for both words and just use it.

Language changes. Nice used to not mean 'good' or 'pleasing' etc. Nice was not a 'nice' term to use for something.

Like, too, has seen change. Nobody says Likewise anymore. It's just like. We all know what we mean when we say like.

The biggest thing is that dictionaries are repositories of words. Not authorities of words. They simply document the speech and writing of words and their meaning as they change. They don't define words. They document the definitions already used for those words.

A long time ago it was ignorance. But with autotext, autocorrect, swipe text, etc... it's just the grammar/dictionary rules of that keyboard app doesn't get the context and just picks one. And people became too indifferent to correct it. To the point that now people, I think, just generally don't know NOR care which one they write. And a basic idea is that language changes greatly over time.

Pretty soon, loose/lose, loser/looser will become homographs. Like live/live, read/read, etc. We'll eventually coalesce around one spelling for both words and just use it.

Language changes. Nice used to not mean 'good' or 'pleasing' etc. Nice was not a 'nice' term to use for something.

Like, too, has seen change. Nobody says Likewise anymore. It's just like. We all know what we mean when we say like.

The biggest thing is that dictionaries are repositories of words. Not authorities of words. They simply document the speech and writing of words and their meaning as they change. They don't define words. They document the definitions already used for those words.

Let's just call it laziness that has led to stupidity. No dictionary can solve that.

Just last week (a day or two after Valentines Day!), while cleaning out my parents' house, my brother found one of those cards, from 22 years ago. It was from my son (age 9 at the time) to my dad. "To the best grandpa ever!" it read. We all got a kick out of it. To think that my dad saved that cheap little card all those years...a card that would be mostly meaningless to just about everybody, but meant the world to him.

BTW, it was one of those mass produced Valentines Day card that you could buy by the box. Some might feature unicorns or Barbie or My Little Pony and some were more "boyish." This one featured the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin facing off against a croc. It was interesting to see what kind of card my son picked at age nine. A blast from the past.
Nostalgia at it's finest my friend haha

I don’t get physics. I just smart enough to understand what it’s about but I cannot absorb the info, nor could I even explain the basics. And I’m fascinated when I listen to someone one talk about the subject, especially when they dumb it down for me.

I don't get how someone figured out how to store data on a microchip. Music on a CD I can kind of get, given how it derived from a record, and I know how that works. But storing files, memory, and other computer data on a chip or hard drive? Blows my mind.

Also, wireless internet. I understand radio waves and such, but I have no clue how we send computer data to cell phones or laptops, for instance.
And just think those microchips' predecessors were those now, clunky vacuum tubes. And, wow!, microchips started replacing tubes in the gasp 50s!

I don’t get physics. I just smart enough to understand what it’s about but I cannot absorb the info, nor could I even explain the basics. And I’m fascinated when I listen to someone one talk about the subject, especially when they dumb it down for me.
The math, and how they figure it out, confuses the hell out of me. But the concepts they're describing makes perfect sense to me.

It's weird. I see it in my mind perfectly, but trying to even comprehend the math to describe it is Greek to me.

Today's "I don't get it..." So decades ago it was decided we needed to recycle. Glass, plastic, paper, cardboard, aluminum cans, etc. Ok. So is it more frustrating than anything to voluntarily take your recycling to a place and the bins are full or mostly full. We hear now that plastic recycling is very costly and doesn't workout that well. So what's the deal? I've always recycled, I think it's a good idea, I also know I'm in the minority. Many bigger cities have recycling bins that you fill at your house so you don't even have to take it anywhere, but I believe you have PAY for those.

My point is, if this is such a good idea, then why not make it as easy as possible for people?

Inflatable Christmas and Halloween lawn decorations. They're not cute. They're not creative. They scream laziness. They're loud. You have to constantly re-stake them into the ground. And if you want to turn them off, it looks like you have empty garbage bags all over your yard. Nice job. I always wanted to know what Frosty looked like flaccid.

Today's "I don't get it..." So decades ago it was decided we needed to recycle. Glass, plastic, paper, cardboard, aluminum cans, etc. Ok. So is it more frustrating than anything to voluntarily take your recycling to a place and the bins are full or mostly full. We hear now that plastic recycling is very costly and doesn't workout that well. So what's the deal? I've always recycled, I think it's a good idea, I also know I'm in the minority. Many bigger cities have recycling bins that you fill at your house so you don't even have to take it anywhere, but I believe you have PAY for those.

My point is, if this is such a good idea, then why not make it as easy as possible for people?
I believe most of us have read articles whereas eyewitness accounts have stated they did their due diligence to separate their waste with recyclables in their own containers. Only later to watch the collectors of both garbage and recyclables to be dumped into the same receptor destined for the landfill or likewise. Of course, this leads us us to believe recycling is mostly hogwash. I would like to be a society that values recycling wherever possible, but I'm also a realist that thinks it may be too costly and why 100% of the recyclable items never make it to their intended destination. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Inflatable Christmas and Halloween lawn decorations. They're not cute. They're not creative. They scream laziness. They're loud. You have to constantly re-stake them into the ground. And if you want to turn them off, it looks like you have empty garbage bags all over your yard. Nice job. I always wanted to know what Frosty looked like flaccid.
I've never been close enough to know if they're "loud" and I don't know if laziness is the shared characteristic of those that display these decorations. What I do know is they are plain tacky and not the least pleasant to look at. I would not want to be a neighbor that has to see them every single day.

I believe most of us have read articles whereas eyewitness accounts have stated they did their due diligence to separate their waste with recyclables in their own containers. Only later to watch the collectors of both garbage and recyclables to be dumped into the same receptor destined for the landfill or likewise. Of course, this leads us us to believe recycling is mostly hogwash. I would like to be a society that values recycling wherever possible, but I'm also a realist that thinks it may be too costly and why 100% of the recyclable items never make it to their intended destination. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️
What's the old adage, follow the money? I think recycling isn't a good business, and if it can't make money, then it's not going to work. I believe there can be alot of good in reusing items, melting down plastics/ glass and reusing. Also being a realist, I know the sadly many people today simply are not going to take one step out of their normal routines to help something, even if its' the right thing to do. Heck we still have people who just throw trash on the ground and expect the rest of us to pick it up.

Maybe one or two, but some people have fleets of these. And they look good when it's nice out, not wind, no rain. Otherwise it looks trashy.