Highland Boys Basketball 2010-2011

On The Money

Time to put away the cleats and lace up the sneakers. Curious to see how it goes with Coach Marcinko. Last year Harrington only carried 8 or 9 true varsity players and filled out his bench with a couple JV players. I have no clue what Marcinko has in mind. I will start the thread with a list of the returners from last year's varsity:

SR. John Alexander 5'9" - PG starter
JR. Chad Sedio 6'2" - F starter
SOPH. Austin Adams 6'5"- C starter
SR. Nate Kressin 6'4" - C
SR. Chris Justick 6'1" - F/C
SR. Shane Popson 6'0" - G/F
SR. Drew Kiem 5'9 - PG
SR. Taylor Hauser 6'1" G/F

Assuming he keeps all 8 of these kids (which he very well may not) that leaves at least a few slots open for fresh bodies. Any thoughts on who may be considered to fill out this roster? I have heard there is an exchange student from Germany who is very athletic, but I have no idea of his eligibility. I doubt that any of the sophomores other than Adams can help the varsity this year. We have two talented freshman guards coming in - Alex Wood and Brendan Popson - both are excellent shooters, but I don't see either one being physically strong enough to handle varsity ball. So that pretty much leaves the junior class to fill out the roster. Putting aside Chad Sedio, any ideas on the other top juniors that may help round out this roster?

I'm not too knowledgeable on the Juniors other then Sedio. I know a fair amount about the 10th graders, but all of that knowledge is dated a couple of years... There is some size in that class other then Adams.

Looks like Justik is out of the mix due to football injuries. Not sure about Hauser at this point. Scrimmage Saturday at Holy Name. Right now I plan on going. I will report back on Monday.

Looks like Marcinko is keeping 13 on the varsity. I am scratching my head a little on how he has divided up the talent between Varsity-JV-Frosh. All juniors and seniors are on the varsity right now. The JV is all sophomores - I think there are 10 of them. And none of the freshmen have been moved up to JV. Unless there are changes coming, there will be a couple juniors riding the bench on the varsity who could start and get some needed playing time on the JV. The JV will get pounded because only a couple of those sophomores can actually play. The freshmen should be pretty good because 2 of those kids could probably contribute on the JV, and other SL schools will move their better frosh up to JV.

I would cut a couple of those sophomores, move one or two juniors down to JV to get some playing time, and move those two freshman up to JV because you may need them on the varsity next year and they need to take some lumps this year to get ready for the jump to varsity ball.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out once they start playing real games. But one thing is becoming clear - the Hornets need to find a point guard for next year. Right now, they don't have one.

Tuesday scrimmage - I did not see the varsity, but did catch some of the frosh and JV. Frosh looked pretty good, and the JV really struggled. In one 16 minute round with Bay, the score was 24-0. Yep...ZERO. The JV needs some help - either with a junior or two, or a freshman or two, or both.

Well, looks like there will be a little shake up with the sub-varsity afterall. We may start seeing some of the freshmen getting some JV playing time. This is a good thing. I doubt it will mean more wins for the JV, but the experience for the young ones will be beneficial for the future.

Varsity played their best game against Berea on Tuesday 12/28, although they still lost. Had an 8 point lead with 5 minutes to go, then proceeded to commit 4 consecutive turnovers followed by two really bad shots selections. These kids need to play smarter. I think Marcinko is doing a pretty good job with them. He is mixing it up on the defensive end of the floor, and offensively seems to be putting the kids in position to make plays and score. But the players themselves - particularly the experienced upper-classmen - need to really reduce the number of bonehead decisions they make on the floor in key situations. Nowhere to go but up for this bunch right now.

is christopher suiting up this year? he's a good ballplayer, saw him a couple times early this summer. he could really be a force down low

is christopher suiting up this year? he's a good ballplayer, saw him a couple times early this summer. he could really be a force down low

The only Christoper I know is the 260 pound center for the football team, David Christopher. He does not play basketball. He plays football and baseball.

Big win for the Hornets over Green. Keep it up boys!