Great News for a Mars Colony!

An antimatter engine could theoretically accelerate a spacecraft at 1g (9.8 meters per second squared) getting us to Proxima in just five years, Weed said in 2016. That's 8,000 times faster than it would take Voyager 1 — one of the fastest spacecraft in history — to travel about half the distance, according to NASA.

Even within our own solar system, an antimatter-powered spacecraft could reach Pluto in 3.5 weeks compared to the 9.5 years it took NASA's New Horizons probe to arrive, Weed said.

An antimatter engine could theoretically accelerate a spacecraft at 1g (9.8 meters per second squared) getting us to Proxima in just five years, Weed said in 2016. That's 8,000 times faster than it would take Voyager 1 — one of the fastest spacecraft in history — to travel about half the distance, according to NASA.

Even within our own solar system, an antimatter-powered spacecraft could reach Pluto in 3.5 weeks compared to the 9.5 years it took NASA's New Horizons probe to arrive, Weed said.
Sign me up for a vacation to Proxima!

Kudos to those scientists that come up with these theoretical solutions to interstellar travel. Some very exciting ideas out there, but with each great idea, even more obstacles arise. One such example: A spacecraft traveling at that speed would also need protection from colliding into any type of space stuff (matter), even the smallest speck of dust, since we now understand Einstein's mass-energy equivalence. I saw a science show, many years ago, that said if a spacecraft were traveling near the speed of light and collided with a single hydrogen atom, it would create an explosion equal to an atomic bomb.

I hate to always be the pessimist, but I believe interstellar travel may be out of reach for even far more advanced species. This is one reason why I don't believe Earth has been "knowingly" visited by aliens (panspermia does not count). Aliens face the same constraints and laws of nature that we face. Some of these may be insurmountable.

Visit and colonize other planets or moons? Sure, that's reasonably within reach of very advanced civilizations. Travel to other stars? Not so much. Space is enormous. So enormous, that no human can actually grasp the vast distances between stars and galaxies.

As always, this is a very interesting topic and I am interested in other yappsters' thoughts.

Sign me up for a vacation to Proxima!

Kudos to those scientists that come up with these theoretical solutions to interstellar travel. Some very exciting ideas out there, but with each great idea, even more obstacles arise. One such example: A spacecraft traveling at that speed would also need protection from colliding into any type of space stuff (matter), even the smallest speck of dust, since we now understand Einstein's mass-energy equivalence. I saw a science show, many years ago, that said if a spacecraft were traveling near the speed of light and collided with a single hydrogen atom, it would create an explosion equal to an atomic bomb.

I hate to always be the pessimist, but I believe interstellar travel may be out of reach for even far more advanced species. This is one reason why I don't believe Earth has been "knowingly" visited by aliens (panspermia does not count). Aliens face the same constraints and laws of nature that we face. Some of these may be insurmountable.

Visit and colonize other planets or moons? Sure, that's reasonably within reach of very advanced civilizations. Travel to other stars? Not so much. Space is enormous. So enormous, that no human can actually grasp the vast distances between stars and galaxies.

As always, this is a very interesting topic and I am interested in other yappsters' thoughts.
It starts with the theory then it moves on to confirmation and practical implementation. Whether it will be 25 years or 250 years I'm confident it will happen one day.

It starts with the theory then it moves on to confirmation and practical implementation. Whether it will be 25 years or 250 years I'm confident it will happen one day.
lotr, I appreciate your insights and know that you are always much more optimistic than me on space travel. Maybe someday in our life, I will say, "You were right!" Until then, I hope we will at least land humans on the moon again in my lifetime.

Be careful guys!

Just the other day I said, "It's amazing what can be done with positronium atoms. If only we could freeze them using an alexandrite-based laser system. Then that would likely decrease the transversal component of Ps rms velocity from about 54 kms/s to 37 km/s, allowing us to measure the gravitational acceleration of antihydrogen and unlock some secrets of antimatter. I sure hope somebody is working on this."

1709477458552.jpeg

When I die deep freeze me and load me as cargo onto the first of these missions!

https://www.space.com/spacex-starship-go-interstellar-elon-musk-says

SpaceX's Starship megarocket could eventually live up to its bold name.

A future iteration of Starship, which conducted its third-ever test flight last week, will go interstellar, according to SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk.

"This Starship is designed to traverse our entire solar system and beyond to the cloud of objects surrounding us. A future Starship, much larger and more advanced, will travel to other star systems," Musk said via X early Monday morning (March 18).

When I die deep freeze me and load me as cargo onto the first of these missions!

https://www.space.com/spacex-starship-go-interstellar-elon-musk-says

SpaceX's Starship megarocket could eventually live up to its bold name.

A future iteration of Starship, which conducted its third-ever test flight last week, will go interstellar, according to SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk.

"This Starship is designed to traverse our entire solar system and beyond to the cloud of objects surrounding us. A future Starship, much larger and more advanced, will travel to other star systems," Musk said via X early Monday morning (March 18).
Whether you like him or not, you have to love Elon Musk's big thinking, optimism and risk taking.

To infinity and beyond!

Whether you like him or not, you have to love Elon Musk's big thinking, optimism and risk taking.

To infinity and beyond!
I dislike Tesla and his stand on EV's but love Musk for everything he's doing to open up space to the world and to keep America at the forefront of those efforts. IMO that's a beautiful win/win.

Being able to have a source of water on Mars is vital to colonizing the red planet. Water is extremely heavy and weight is a major concern when blasting off in rockets and escaping Earth's gravity. We would need a lot of it on Mars, too. With a source of water on Mars, we could weigh down the rockets with other necessary stuff, like food, oxygen and equipment.