Glen Oak Stadium Issues

Sharing Fawcett Stadium with McKinley and the Hall of Fame has got to be a rush for these kids.It's like playing at Massillon or the Rubber Bowl.The history surrounding big games at those stadiums is exciting.

I agree. I would much rather play at Fawcett than to play in a sardine can that I can call my own.

Recently heard that Garfield and GlenOak will be playing their week 2 matchup at Fawcett on Thursday night. What exactly is the problem in GlenOak area. Is there a way that the funds could be raised with a series of fundraisers like golf outings, night at the races, reverse raffles? Otherwise, when will the stadium be completed?

the school in the levy they passed for the new high school, alloted enough money to pay for 2,500 seats. The stadium will seat 10,000 however The other 7,500 seats will be funded through private donations. The stadium will NOT seat only 3,000...but that is all the district is paying for.

and there is no home field advantage as far as Fawcett goes....everyone knows that is Mckinley's field and the kids and coaches hate playing their home games there. Hate it big time.

The problem is every team needs a home...and Fawcett is not home to the Eagles....Plus a stadium in Plain Township can get more of the community out for games.....Re...Jackson,Perry and Lake

Actually, 10,000 would be SWEET!

In Stark County, football is HUGE. Not having a large stadium menas throwong money away for school districts and means fans can't get in sometimes.

10 grand is great.

Is this going to happen?

The new school should have a new stadium. I'm not sure on how much it can hold but it should be a lot. www.plainlocal.org has pictures of the new construction. They are building a new gym for basketball games and GlenOak football does just as good as their basketball team so they should have a new stadium.

I agree. When will the school be complete? Or have they started? And are the defintely getting a stadium?

yes they will have the new school ready for next year, but the stadium will not be ready until the following year. GlenOak is in major trouble all the way around especially in football. That administration they have gives Jack Rose no help. He is losing coaches left and right and its not his fault.....they wont find his coaches jobs in the district so they are leaving and going to other schools(lost 1, Garcia to Massillon, almost 2 last year...and could lose as many as 8 this year from freshman coaches up to varsity, Payne is already gone and I here he is taking as many as 4 GlenOak guys with him from all levels). That administration is awful and its a shame, because Jack takes so much heat over there and people weigh in their opinions on here not even knowing what crap he has to deal with.

That's a shame. I have heard nothng but good things about Jack and the job he's doing over there.

I love the new offense he's got going over there. West Coast or the Spread or something. They're throwing alot and it's a very entertaining brand of football.

Too bad he can't get the help he needs. That's a tough position.

JWest..I think the offense was the problem at GO..in order to run that type of offense you need the athletes, and last year they did not have them

You're right. I love seeing that offense. You never know what's going to happen. Why is it that they don't have the athletes? Isn't GO one of the larger school districts in the State?

Yes, GlenOak does have one of the larger districts. It's hard to say why they don't have the athletes, it could be that there is talent just in the wrong places or that the good players leave to go to other schools. Who knows?

JW...What I was saying is GO didn't have the athletes on the field to run that offense...as far as in the school...who knows?

OK well that makes sense. I have wondered about this sometimes. When I have seen GO play, they seem like they want to be progressive and run a contemporary offense.

Personally, it seems that the weight training and off season programs aren't really doing the job. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like there is enough "beef" on the team.

Recently the Canton Repository mentioned that an anonymous name gave Plain Local a $600,000 donation towards the new stadium, particularly so GlenOak can use FieldTurf for the playing surface. Rumors have it that Dan Dierdorf gave the donation but no one is sure. Either way it's great that people in the community are giving donations for a new stadium that we can finally call our own.

GOGE said:
Recently the Canton Repository mentioned that an anonymous name gave Plain Local a $600,000 donation towards the new stadium, particularly so GlenOak can use FieldTurf for the playing surface. Rumors have it that Dan Dierdorf gave the donation but no one is sure. Either way it's great that people in the community are giving donations for a new stadium that we can finally call our own.

On one hand, that is fantastic news. On the other hand, that $600k would have been MUCH better served in the general fund, so the district wasn't so cash-strapped.

There's been a pretty good deal of flak for it in the Repository's website comment forum.

polar_purple said:
On one hand, that is fantastic news. On the other hand, that $600k would have been MUCH better served in the general fund, so the district wasn't so cash-strapped.

There's been a pretty good deal of flak for it in the Repository's website comment forum.

That is true polar. We need as much money as we can get. However I'd rather take a $600,000 donation to the football field over no donation at all any day.

There will always be this or that need. I'd be thankful for the gift to the football department which has done quite a bit for many people through the years.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree - you're right when you say ANY donation is better than NO donation at all.

But the American mentality, sadly, is that sports > education - one just has to look at who gets paid more - the pro athlete, or the pro teacher. This just seems to highlight that.

polar_purple said:

I would like to know the average age of the people on the Rep comment board. It seems to be a bunch of bitter blue hairs. That is the problem with the district, too many oldsters.

polar_purple said:

I would put it like this....If I made the donation and my wish was to help the stadium project....then thats it...its my money....