Elder Enrollment Strategy

It is slightly lower than previous years but I also heard that they drew kids from almost 30 different grade schools.
That is great for them - Seton has roughly 18 Catholic Grade Schools they traditionally draw from (includes James & Ignatius but neither St John's Schools) - throw in Rapid Run & Taylor as they have gotten some from these over the years as parents don't want to pay the grade school tuition which brings this number up to around 20 - where are these girls coming from? Is the sports related? Is Elder's incoming class pulling from the same number of schools?

Last edited:
The other dilemma Seton (as well as Elder and other schools) are dealing with is the possibility of competing at lower levels in the state tournament. While winning a state championship is great, I am sure these schools do not want "DII" on the banner.

Accepting students from the other schools allows the competitive balance numbers to increase

The other dilemma Seton (as well as Elder and other schools) are dealing with is the possibility of competing at lower levels in the state tournament. While winning a state championship is great, I am sure these schools do not want "DII" on the banner.

Accepting students from the other schools allows the competitive balance numbers to increase
I doubt the administration would consider this a dilemma. And the only reason it could be a 'dilemma' is because they've been competing in D1 for so long. LaSalle dropping to D2 seemed to help their athletics initially; team success went up and they were drawing in better athletes as a result.

Why would they care? DII in football has produced some incredible state championship teams and over the past decade or so, I'd put the DII state champ against the DI and it'd be a tossup.

Why would they care? DII in football has produced some incredible state championship teams and over the past decade or so, I'd put the DII state champ against the DI and it'd be a tossup.
Never meant to insinuate that a D2 state championship is not as hard to achieve as a D1 or even the D2 state champion couldn't beat the D1 state champion (2016 LaSalle). I would think a school like Seton & Elder that have had a long tradition of competing at the D1 level would not like the thought of now being considered D2

From a girls volleyball perspective, the public schools will like this as there will be little parochials in D1

What I am saying is if half the league is playing in D1 and the other half is in D2, there is a certain amount of prestige of being with "the big boys". With speaking to a couple of coaches from the GGCL & GCL, they are not excited by this move at all.

LaSalle dropping to D2 seemed to help their athletics initially; team success went up and they were drawing in better athletes as a result.
I think it was pretty coincidental that the increase in number of divisions lined up so perfectly with some of La Salle's all time best football teams. In fact, it's a shame we didn't get to see how their 2014-2016 teams would have fared in Region 4. I'm confident they would have won the region in D1 once or twice those seasons.

Let's go back to 2019 when Elder and La Salle played for the D1 and D2 football state championships, respectively.
La Salle faced Little Miami, Walnut Ridge, Harrison, Toledo Central Catholic and Massillon Washington.
Elder faced Lakota West, St. Xavier, Colerain, Springfield and Pickerington Central.

Not to take anything away from what La Salle has accomplished since going to D2 10 years ago, but there's no comparison between the level of competition round after round of the playoffs between D1 and D2. Of course there are good teams in D2, but top to bottom D1 is clearly better. How many unforgettable playoff games against Colerain or St. Xavier have we seen over the past 25 seasons? You can't replace that with games against Little Miami and Harrison.

It's really not that big a deal.
We will see if it is a big deal for these schools as the OHSAA Board of Directors just approved the expansion proposal

We will see if it is a big deal for these schools as the OHSAA Board of Directors just approved the expansion proposal

Unless I am reading that wrong, it looks like no changes to how football designates their divisions. But it could definitely affect other sports.

Let's go back to 2019 when Elder and La Salle played for the D1 and D2 football state championships, respectively.
La Salle faced Little Miami, Walnut Ridge, Harrison, Toledo Central Catholic and Massillon Washington.
Elder faced Lakota West, St. Xavier, Colerain, Springfield and Pickerington Central.

Not to take anything away from what La Salle has accomplished since going to D2 10 years ago, but there's no comparison between the level of competition round after round of the playoffs between D1 and D2. Of course there are good teams in D2, but top to bottom D1 is clearly better. How many unforgettable playoff games against Colerain or St. Xavier have we seen over the past 25 seasons? You can't replace that with games against Little Miami and Harrison.
I disagree with this now that the playoffs have expanded to 16 teams. I think the bottom seeds in R4 especially are way worse than the bottom seeds of R8

That’s only 1 game out of 6.
I understand that, but the comment was that D1 from top to bottom was clearly better, I was saying it is clearly not better. The middling teams are definitely better. The bottom, definitely not, the top..... that's up for debate most years.

From the Cincy Enquirer:
The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors voted Thursday to expand postseason play in seven sports.
Boys and girls soccer will expand from three divisions to five, while volleyball, boys and girls basketball, baseball and softball will each expand from four divisions to seven. Divisions I and II will consist of 64 schools in all seven sports, while the remaining divisions will have an equal number of schools.
Why make these changes but not change football?
I guess that since football already is at seven divisions there is no desire from anyone to expand further.

I've been told Elder has begun sharing an email indicating next year's tuition will be $14.600 and student no longer pay participation fees for clubs, tablets, athletics, band, arts, attending games, etc.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it’s the MAGA—fication of the populace. Eventually when presented with hard facts, you’ll be told they have a right to their opinion.
Can you just knock that chit off. You keep bringing politics where it doesn't belong and quite frankly, seems like you may be the one with your head under a rock with comments like that. Either way, that rhetoric doesn't belong on the school forms, take it to the debate form.

Can you just knock that chit off. You keep bringing politics where it doesn't belong and quite frankly, seems like you may be the one with your head under a rock with comments like that. Either way, that rhetoric doesn't belong on the school forms, take it to the debate form.
It's perfectly applicable to the idea of someone believing Seton girls are demanding litter boxes because it's those morons who believe that nonsense.

Now maybe this isn't the place for the fury topic or whatever its called — I'll give you that. But I didn't bring it up.

It's perfectly applicable to the idea of someone believing Seton girls are demanding litter boxes because it's those morons who believe that nonsense.

Now maybe this isn't the place for the fury topic or whatever its called — I'll give you that. But I didn't bring it up.
Those morons (Archdiocese) run Elder, so there's that.

It would not surprise anyone regardless of political affiliation, because of how things are these days, example some people include their preferred pronouns when introducing themselves or in emails. It is exactly why this urban legend continues, because it is actually believable a school somewhere would do this.

Can we take this discussion to the Beacons of Light thread? We have two threads with essentially the same back and forth. This has gotten way off topic and the political comments are all going to be deleted unless they are stopped.

Last edited: