Cotton Bowl: #9 Mizzou (10-2) vs. #7 Ohio State (11-1)

Not really. Sure, everyone was enamored with Boise State back then, but I remember as far back as 2008 Alabama just sleepwalking in the Sugar Bowl vs Utah because their season had ended when they lost to Florida in the SEC title game a month prior to that.
Ahhh, yes…the sleepwalking excuse for Bama. The truth is Utah had a great team that year and laid out the Tide.

depends on which team's fans they sold them to.
Yeah, plenty of TOSU alum in the DFW metro area so Buckeye Nation will show up. Still Mizzou should have the lion's share of the crowd as they are excited to be there, OSU not so much. That and DFW is not a horrible drive from much of Missouri.

OSU fans already preparing for a loss which is a sad state of affairs.

If OSU, the 2nd most talented team in America to start the season (Bama #1), loses to Mizzou, who started the season unranked, it will exemplify the overall major issues facing what should be a top 4 program in the country.

OSU fans already preparing for a loss which is a sad state of affairs.

If OSU, the 2nd most talented team in America to start the season (Bama #1), loses to Mizzou, who started the season unranked, it will exemplify the overall major issues facing what should be a top 4 program in the country.
Yeah, looking at the big picture, the Ohio State football program seems to be at a crossroads .

*Recruiting rankings are near the top but are skewed towards skilled offensive positions.

*OSU player development along both lines is inconsistent.

*Ohio State needs to decide if they are going to be all in on paying high school recruits and transfer players.

*Ryan Day needs to stop being the offensive coordinator and become an actual CEO/head coach.

I like Ryan Day, but the Big 10 is going to be tougher going forward with the new left coast schools and recruiting is going to be harder with pay for play. Can the Buckeye program and Ryan Day evolve to stay top 4? If they don't, the status quo will likely lead to only more good but not championship seasons going forward. Finally, history ebbs and flows. Our beloved Buckeyes have been near the top for 20+ years. Sometimes a program needs some adversity to regain strength for the future.

Not super excited to watch half of our team play this game.

Even Ohio U had ten guys opt out of their Bowl Game......the Bowl Season is beyond pointless at this point. Other than Moms and Dads, I don't know why any fan would make a Bowl trip unless it's the playoffs.

Any player opting out of bowl games should be forced to pay their scholarship back in full from that season.
"Neither the NCAA nor its member schools can force a college athlete to play in a bowl game. However, players who opt out can expect an avalanche of hostile publicity calling them selfish traitors to the glory of their college tradition."
Why? Their scholarship doesn't require them to play in bowl games. If it isn't a playoff game, I would rather have the players returning the following season to get the playing time. Use it as an early practice for the 2024 season.

"Neither the NCAA nor its member schools can force a college athlete to play in a bowl game. However, players who opt out can expect an avalanche of hostile publicity calling them selfish traitors to the glory of their college tradition."
Why? Their scholarship doesn't require them to play in bowl games. If it isn't a playoff game, I would rather have the players returning the following season to get the playing time. Use it as an early practice for the 2024 season.
This then gets into the argument of if these games matter or not and IMO they absolutely do matter. These are not exhibitions, they do count and go into the W/L column.

This then gets into the argument of if these games matter or not and IMO they absolutely do matter. These are not exhibitions, they do count and go into the W/L column.
How does it matter Sparty? You win you get a dust collecting trophy. If you are not in the playoffs, what does another win or loss mean? Other than the playoff games, all the other bowls are exhibition games. If Ohio State loses to Missouri, how does that negatively affect the Buckeyes? The coaching staff has already gotten their Bowl bonus. That bonus would have been twice as much if they had beaten Michigan. Go win that participation trophy.

How does it matter Sparty? You win you get a dust collecting trophy. If you are not in the playoffs, what does another win or loss mean? Other than the playoff games, all the other bowls are exhibition games. If Ohio State loses to Missouri, how does that negatively affect the Buckeyes? The coaching staff has already gotten their Bowl bonus. That bonus would have been twice as much if they had beaten Michigan. Go win that participation trophy.
This will be a topic on my podcast sometime so be sure to tune in 👍🏻

They sure as heII shouldn't travel with the team and stand on the sidelines.

If I was a guy who stuck with it, maybe played hurt during the season, it'd piss me off.
The best one so far was Western Kentucky in something called The Toast Bowl....WKU had the usual ten, eleven guys opt out, and was down like 28-7 at the half. WKU's top wide out said "Screw it, I ain't going back out for the second half"....The dudes that did go out for the second half for WKU came back and beat ODU 38-35 in overtime.

The best one so far was Western Kentucky in something called The Toast Bowl....WKU had the usual ten, eleven guys opt out, and was down like 28-7 at the half. WKU's top wide out said "Screw it, I ain't going back out for the second half"....The dudes that did go out for the second half for WKU came back and beat ODU 38-35 in overtime.
Lol, guys from Western Kentucky opting out. You're fortunate enough not to scrape bird dung off the team bus

Lol, guys from Western Kentucky opting out. You're fortunate enough not to scrape bird dung off the team bus

No doubt......I was somewhat shocked Ohio U had ten guys opt out of their Bowl Game. I guess they don't wanna' risk injury now that they're unrestricted free agents. Bowl Season is an absolute joke. Will any team, in any Bowl Game, outside of the playoffs, have their number one QB playing?

I look at the bowl games as a great way to get a running start on next year. Find out some things about some of the #2 and #3's on your depth chart, work on some things against decent competition. Winning is nice for building confidence, and of course the fans, players and coaches want to win. But at the end of the day the W/L is not that important IMO. It does not impact your ability to win a league title or make the playoffs...

I look at the bowl games as a great way to get a running start on next year. Find out some things about some of the #2 and #3's on your depth chart, work on some things against decent competition. Winning is nice for building confidence, and of course the fans, players and coaches want to win. But at the end of the day the W/L is not that important IMO. It does not impact your ability to win a league title or make the playoffs...
I agree. Play the players you are going to have in 2024. Should be playing in a playoff game next year. Start getting ready now. 2023 is over, build for the future.

You go into a bowl game to win. It is the most important aspect.

You go into a bowl game to win. It is the most important aspect.
Why? You play to win, but you should take advantage of the opportunity to prepare for 2024. Giving your returning players an actual game of experience to build on for next year is the most important aspect. Give you some idea what, if anything, you may need from the transfer portal.

Why? You play to win, but you should take advantage of the opportunity to prepare for 2024. Giving your returning players an actual game of experience to build on for next year is the most important aspect. Give you some idea what, if anything, you may need from the transfer portal.
Of course you use it for experience and reps no different than any other game. Winning is #1 priority.