Concerts. 2021 and beyond.

Jazz Fest announced today and while everyone knew the Stones would be there making up for a cancelled 2022 date there was a surprise, Neil Young + Crazy Horse.

1705612570801.png

I saw Noah Kahan at Blossom May 28 a little too late. Sold out and the ticket rapists online have started them at $300 each for lawn seats. I guess i can still see him in concert on YouTube lol.

I saw Noah Kahan at Blossom May 28 a little too late. Sold out and the ticket rapists online have started them at $300 each for lawn seats. I guess i can still see him in concert on YouTube lol.
I don't get the huge reaction this guy gets from the 20 something crowd. Don't get me wrong, guy has talent and writes good songs but the amount of tickets he sells is amazing for so new to the scene. And just think he was playing Jacob's Pavilion last year.

In general ticket pricing is insane this summer. I just did a quick check on the Red Hot Chili Peppers Monday show at Blossom and box office lawn seats are $100 + fees. Back of the pavilion is $203 + fees. I guess I will be happy with the Friday Avett Brothers show at Jacob's Pavilion for $40 + fees. Brothers Osborne is the same in June. Still the best value and venue in CLE.

I don't get the huge reaction this guy gets from the 20 something crowd. Don't get me wrong, guy has talent and writes good songs but the amount of tickets he sells is amazing for so new to the scene. And just think he was playing Jacob's Pavilion last year.

In general ticket pricing is insane this summer. I just did a quick check on the Red Hot Chili Peppers Monday show at Blossom and box office lawn seats are $100 + fees. Back of the pavilion is $203 + fees. I guess I will be happy with the Friday Avett Brothers show at Jacob's Pavilion for $40 + fees. Brothers Osborne is the same in June. Still the best value and venue in CLE.

He’s amazing IMO and will only get bigger, but I agree prices are out of hand. Other artists are re-recording his songs with him as duets. Post Malone just did Dialed Drunk with him and others did a couple more. I skipped him last year at a small venue and am regretting it. Avetts play Kemba in Columbus a few days before Cleveland so I’ll definitely see that.

Just returned home from almost week in the sun in Key West for Rokisland Fest and my review of the bands.
Sorta long with a semi cool story at the end.

In Order:

While associated with the sponsors and not a part of the official event and played every day 2-4:
That Arena Rock Show: Cover band. Great. They sold out 1800 venue in Versailles a year or so ago and are back this spring.

Venue: Outdoor amphitheater. Enjoyable, set up pretty well with great sound. Very close to the water so a cool breeze (at 65 degree air temp) did make it hoodie weather (I know, first world problems).
Very small section of the beach was right outside the venue so hung out there a bit in the afternoons getting a free preview and listening to the sound checks so that was sorta cool.

Officially part of the Rokisland Fest:
Day One.
Wig Wam (from like Sweden/Norway) Not familiar with them, but they sounded good and was a fun show.
Winger: Outstanding. They still have all their original members and many wondered why they were 3rd bill that night.
Mr. Big: Sounded fine. Never was a huge fan. consider them a one hit wonder and was not a fan of them second bill.
Nigh Ranger: What a blast and best of the night, maybe the whole festival. Of course they played their hits, couple of the Damn Yankees songs, and Ozzie's Crazy Train and Alice Coopers School's out due to their guitarists who played in those bands.

Day Two:
Enuff Z Nuff: Fun set, sounded drowned out the vocals.
LA Guns: I think they get heavier and heavier. Great time.
Don Felder: All Eagles hits. Man, that set! Yeah, it was more low key than the other rockers, but man to hear all those Eagles songs he was associated with.....he was the only band who got a standing ovation by those sitting in the back half of the venue. I would say my second fav of the event. Just...wow..all those great songs!
Tom Keifer: In a low register he sounded ok, but when he gets to that signature Cinderella sound it was painful at times. I'd say more people left during that set than any other of the even. If they ever come local and I am available, I think I may give him another chance but he didnt have it that night!

Day Three:
Trixter: Adverstised as acoustic, but was anything but that as they said they were 'chorded acoustic!. Sounded great, fun time!
Jefferson Starship: One founding member of Jefferson Airplane. Damned near fell asleep, very boring and least fav of the event.

Bret Michaels Parti Gras:
-------Lou Gramm: Outsanding with those Foreigner hits as he was the original member of the band and a great signal of his own. Very enjoyable. Dee Snider came out and did the two big TS hits and a cover....he has extreme energy no doubt!
Bret Michaels: Def a party, no doubt about that. Very entertaining.

Day Four: 90s night.
Bowling for Soup: Wasnt familiar with them, but did recognize a couple and they were very enjoyable and fun. Very personable between songs.
Lit: I thought I would know more of their songs, but only knew one. Side Note: Vince Neil played a song with them, Smoking in the boys room. He was in town, states he didnt know the even was goin on. He is looking slimmer, bet he dropped 25+. Will see if that helps him sing and endurance. Couldnt really tell much from that song as it was a few guys singing at times.
Buckcherry: Thought i knew more of their tunes. Entertaining, fun time.
Stone Temple Pilots: Put on a very good show, had just enough songs that I knew and liked.

Semi Entertaing story:
At the airport it was balls to the wall packed with everyone leaving Sunday.
Stood 5 feet away from the lead and base player of STP for at least a half hour easy. A few people came up to them, talked, took photo's, etc.
I saw quite a few artists and Eddie Trunk around KW at the bars but I am not the type to go up and bother them.
When those two from STP walked by this dialogue ensued:

ME: (just loud enough for them to hear) Great show last night.
Robert Deleo (Bassist): Thanks man. Then he leans close and says 'thanks for being cool' (for not approaching them as I stood next to them so long)
ME: Yea, i would hate people always coming up to me so I just let people alone.
Deleo: You wouldnt believe the timing of some people. One guy wanted to shake my hand at the urinal as we were pissing and I had my dcki in my hand!
ME: That's nuts. Ive seen some out and about, like Eddie Trunk over there (he was like 25 feet away). I saw him 3-4 times the last few days and always wanted to meet him but i never wanna bother anyone.
DELEO: I'm Robert, what's your name?
ME: (thavoice)
DELEO: Follow me.

He wants us over to Eddie Trunk and he says 'Eddie, here's a buddy of mine (thavoice) and wanted to meet you'.

Spoke to Eddie for a few moments, mostly about how great it was to get outta the snow and how packed the airport was.

All in all.....a great time. Talked to many people who have been going all 3 yrs. I may try to go each year, most seem to not care who is performing and it is their vacation.
I would say it was just 1 perfect Florida day of 80+, sun and no wind, and a couple of 75 and partly sunny, and one 70 and mostly sunny but windy.

Great, great time. Def need a vacation from the vacation. Many people rent bicycles...Saw I rode and walked 17-20 miles a day.

Now back to this cold in Ohio!

Mapping out the next shows. I see Warrant is at the Rose this summer.

Last edited:

I never did actually address your main point and that being why Noah Kahan has gotten so big with the 20 something generation. Undoubtably, in my mind, it‘s his overall conveyance in his songs about self pity, being a victim, grief, depression, rebelliousness, and anger in weird way where he’s not a violent person but has been wronged and wants to only yell about it. I think that’s exactly the mentality of that generation. Funny, because thats not my thing AT ALL but I still really like him lol.

I never did actually address your main point and that being why Noah Kahan has gotten so big with the 20 something generation. Undoubtably, in my mind, it‘s his overall conveyance in his songs about self pity, being a victim, grief, depression, rebelliousness, and anger in weird way where he’s not a violent person but has been wronged and wants to only yell about it. I think that’s exactly the mentality of that generation. Funny, because thats not my thing AT ALL but I still really like him lol.
So I had business at Michigan State and was in a campus store; a Noah Kahan tune came on with almost every girl in the place was signing along. That plus the fact he is now headlining festivals made me realize time to buy his stock. Let’s see if he can keep it going.

Tuesday update on Eddie Trunk and now I am tying to figure it out.
Stated: One night at Rockisland 2 bands were totally live, 2 were not!.

Hmmmm...Who would that be?
Someone mentioned on a page that the background vocals for Don Felder were canned (Felder seemed live) so if it was that night.....

Huh......this has me wondering now! Who would you think would not be totally live from those acts?

He mentioned a few times about how great someone sounded all totally live while he was hosting...

Tuesday update on Eddie Trunk and now I am tying to figure it out.
Stated: One night at Rockisland 2 bands were totally live, 2 were not!.

Hmmmm...Who would that be?
Someone mentioned on a page that the background vocals for Don Felder were canned (Felder seemed live) so if it was that night.....

Huh......this has me wondering now! Who would you think would not be totally live from those acts?

He mentioned a few times about how great someone sounded all totally live while he was hosting...
I saw Winger, Tom Keifer, Bret Michaels, LA Guns and Mr Big last summer at various points—and all were very live when I saw them. 🤔

I saw Winger, Tom Keifer, Bret Michaels, LA Guns and Mr Big last summer at various points—and all were very live when I saw them. 🤔
Yea, they def were.

I wonder if it was the last night.
STP singer went to the side stage a few times, and the other guys seemed to stall.....one time the camera stayed on him and he walked up to someone with a laptop and they quickly cut away from it. They did sound very good.
I could see STP and Lit mayble. BFS I dont think it was them, he screwed up a few lines (and audibly laughed) so who knows.
Lit sounded a bit different when Vince Neil came out and they played Smokin in the boyz room and i dont think that they had any rehearsel with him...

If it was the background on Felder and someone else that night.....hmmm....Enuffz?

Might have mentioned it, can’t remember. But I was reminded of it and then saw this thread. Have Buckeye Country Superfest Saturday tickets. Zach Bryan, Billy Strings, Turnpike Troubadours, Charley Crockett, Charley Wesley Godwin. Beyond stoked for all 5 acts. Only bummed that Winchester 47 plays only on Sunday.

And that reminds me, I somewhat unexpectedly saw LCD Soundsystem on NYE in San Francisco. Not sure how good they actually were but I had a great time.

Might have mentioned it, can’t remember. But I was reminded of it and then saw this thread. Have Buckeye Country Superfest Saturday tickets. Zach Bryan, Billy Strings, Turnpike Troubadours, Charley Crockett, Charley Wesley Godwin. Beyond stoked for all 5 acts. Only bummed that Winchester 47 plays only on Sunday.

And that reminds me, I somewhat unexpectedly saw LCD Soundsystem on NYE in San Francisco. Not sure how good they actually were but I had a great time.
🤣
On a serious note, did you make it to Alcatraz Island on that trip? That’s a must.

Just wanna vent here a bit about people/bands I’m interested in seeing but are only here in central ohio for a festival show. Zach Bryan and Greta VF are two coming up but there’ve been several others in the past couple years. Not only do I not want to pay for the other acts, but at my age I’m not into longs shows in the probable heat lol. Seems to be a trend but maybe just to me because of the specific shows I’m interested in.

Value might be there but Jacob’s is terrible for sound. Cleveland’s outdoor venues leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Value might be there but Jacob’s is terrible for sound. Cleveland’s outdoor venues leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.
The shows I have seen at Jacob’s have sounded fine. As for Blossom everyone loves the grounds and acoustically it is an orchestra shed so that is ok, the problem there is traffic flow and parking.

Woke up to some terrible news today.

Toby Keith.
RIP man, RIP.

Saw him a few times over the years, had tix last year when he had to cancel and by all accounts he was putting forth a great fight and was winning that battle.
He performed Dont Let The Old Man In on a show recently and a few performances he called a test out in Vegas to see if he could go back out. I wonder if they really knew these were just a farewwell swan song?

Man, this one really sucks. Celebrity deaths dont usually matter to me, but man this one does.

Toby Keith, raising a Red Solo Cup to you today my man and you will forever live on.

Courtesy, of the Red, White and Blue.

I just got tickets to Josh Meloy 2/16 Brent Cobb 5/4 at A&R Bar in Columbus. Josiah & The Bonnevilles is 3/22 and sold out, but I’m planning to go down and scalp a ticket. A&R is a great place for new artists who will likely move up to bigger venues. I saw Shovels and Rope there years ago before they were known.

On a personal note... After many gyrations was able to get face value tickets to Dead & Company at the Sphere this late spring. More looking forward to seeing a show in the venue than Dead & Company but it doesn't hurt that my first show there is with this band :)

1707509062170.png

A couple jam bands announced dates in Ohio:

Trey Anastasio Band:
Wednesday, 5/15 Agora Theater

Goose:
Sunday, 6/15 Jacob's Pavilion

Two big tours were announced to day, unfortunately no dates are scheduled in Ohio at this time:

Peal Jam (Also releasing new music):
05-04 Vancouver, British Columbia - Rogers Arena
05-06 Vancouver, British Columbia - Rogers Arena
05-10 Portland, OR - Moda Center
05-13 Sacramento, CA - Golden 1 Center
05-16 Las Vegas, NV - MGM Grand Garden Arena
05-18 Las Vegas, NV - MGM Grand Garden Arena
05-21 Inglewood, CA - Kia Forum
05-22 Inglewood, CA - Kia Forum
05-25 Napa Valley, CA - BottleRock Festival
05-28 Seattle, WA - Climate Pledge Arena
05-30 Seattle, WA - Climate Pledge Arena
06-22 Dublin, Ireland - Marlay Park
06-25 Manchester, England - Co-op Live
06-29 London, England - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
07-02 Berlin, Germany - Waldbühne
07-03 Berlin, Germany - Waldbühne
07-06 Barcelona, Spain - Palau Sant Jordi
07-08 Barcelona, Spain - Palau Sant Jordi
07-11 Madrid, Spain - Mad Cool Festival
07-13 Lisbon, Portugal - NOS Alive Festival
08-22 Missoula, MT - Washington-Grizzly Stadium
08-26 Indianapolis, IN - Ruoff Music Center
08-29 Chicago, IL - Wrigley Field
08-31 Chicago, IL - Wrigley Field
09-03 New York, NY - Madison Square Garden
09-04 New York, NY - Madison Square Garden
09-07 Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center
09-09 Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center
09-12 Baltimore, MD - CFG Bank Arena
09-15 Boston, MA - Fenway Park
09-17 Boston, MA - Fenway Park
11-08 Auckland, New Zealand - Go Media Stadium
11-13 Gold Coast, Australia - Heritage Bank Stadium
11-16 Melbourne, Australia - Marvel Stadium
11-21 Sydney, Australia - Giants Stadium

Neil Young & Crazy Horse (Also releasing a new live album):
Apr 24 – San Diego, CA @ Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre
Apr 25 – San Diego, CA @ Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre
Apr 27 – Phoenix, AZ @ Talking Stick Resort Amphitheatre
May 1 – Austin, TX @ Germania Insurance Amphitheater
May 2 – Dallas, TX @ Dos Equis Pavilion
May 5 – Huntsville, AL @ Orion Amphitheater
May 7 – Atlanta, GA @ Ameris Bank Amphitheatre
May 8 – Franklin, TN @ FirstBank Amphitheater
May 11 – Bristow, VA @ Jiffy Lube Live
May 12 – Camden, NJ @ Freedom Mortgage Pavilion
May 14 – Queens, NY @ Forest Hills Stadium
May 17 – Mansfield, MA @ Xfinity Center
May 18 – Bridgeport, CT @ Hartford Healthcare Amphitheater
May 20 – Toronto, ON @ Budweiser Stage
May 22 – Clarkston, MI @ Pine Knob Music Theatre
May 23 – Chicago, IL @ Huntington Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island

Saw If These Trees Could Talk last night at Musica in Akron. They are a local band from Akron that has seen some national and international recognition. First show in 8 years.
It was phenomenal.
Check them out if you get a chance. They are instrumental post-rock.

Josh Meloy at A&R Bar in Columbus on Friday was great. A 12-15 minute drive to get there took 40 minutes in that snowstorm, but he was worth it.

Here he is for those who aren’t familiar.

Willie is bringing the Outlaw Music Festival back out on the road and Bob Dylan will be playing at all shows. While both are icons in the business even in their prime their voices were not the best, could be and interesting pairing. There are 2 dates scheduled in Ohio.

1709131109190.jpeg