Comet Football 2010 Wrap Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cometcenter

The Comets finished 5-5 (4-3 in the GMC). Given the fact that the Comets were picked to finish last in the conference, I think it is fair to say the Castner lead Comets earned a lot of respect around the league.

I would agree with folks that say that had Fulcher had been healthy last year, the Comets would also have been 5-5. But when you look at all the things Coach Castner did to promote "family" and all the things he did to "get everyone on the bus and in the right seats" you have to be impressed.

The future is bright. I look for continued improvement next year. I think the Comets non league schedule will be a bit easier (meaning no perennial playoff teams like Centerville and Trotwood). Colerain comes back on the schedule but I can't remember who comes off. I look for the Comets to be in the playoff hunt the entire 2011 season.

Congratulations to the 2010 Comets on a successful season.

The Comets finished 5-5 (4-3 in the GMC). Given the fact that the Comets were picked to finish last in the conference, I think it is fair to say the Castner lead Comets earned a lot of respect around the league.

I agree with this, it's a great step in the right direction!

I would agree with folks that say that had Fulcher had been healthy last year, the Comets would also have been 5-5. But when you look at all the things Coach Castner did to promote "family" and all the things he did to "get everyone on the bus and in the right seats" you have to be impressed.

I think a healthy Fulcher would have helped the games last year to be more competitive but coaching was the biggest reason for lack of wins during 2007 to 2009 seasons IMO.

The future is bright. I look for continued improvement next year. I think the Comets non league schedule will be a bit easier (meaning no perennial playoff teams like Centerville and Trotwood). Colerain comes back on the schedule but I can't remember who comes off. I look for the Comets to be in the playoff hunt the entire 2011 season.

I agree the future looks bright but I wouldn't go as far as saying they'll make the playoffs next year; although I think a winning season is probable!

Congratulations to the 2010 Comets on a successful season.

Oh yeah! It was good to see!! :thumb:

It's always fun to listen to 'experts' as they go over what worked, didn't work, how things would've worked out, how they could've worked out......

Messaging is important, but that doesn't win ballgames. Mason has been rebuilding for 3 years and with the improved off-season conditioning, the program changes put in place after 2006 and 2009 definitely made a difference. 2010 was a culmination of the efforts of 2 good coaches over the last 4 seasons. Coming from almost unanimously being picked to finish last in the GMC to being in the hunt for an R4 playoff spot in Week 9 is huge. Definitely a good year to be a Comet fan.

I would've said last years schedule was tougher than this years, but Colerain instead of Middletown is not much difference and the real only difference is Fairfield and East - supposedly both of those teams were on the rise after last year. Based on record, you'd have to say that this year's edition was the best Comet team since 2005 and you could make an argument for even longer due to differences in the GMC and FAVC - but that tends to ignore all of the things that make up a team.

Fulcher might have made a difference last year, but the 8-10 boys that were out at various times of the year last year could've also made a difference. Mason was dead last in offense and defense last year, of course the offense was throwing more than running and that will make a difference too.

Statistically, the Comet defense came up from 10th in 2009 (345 ypg) to 4th (275 ypg) and from surrendering 28 ppg to only giving up 22ppg. That is a huge improvement. In overall offense, Mason came up from 10th to 6th in the GMC, from 1857 ypg to 2654 ypg and from 635 rushing yards to 1915 yards. Mason also improved scoring from 12 ppg to nearly 21. Those numbers definitely showed Mason moving in the right direction.

Fulcher rated in the top 5 in rushing yards and #1 in scoring. Sprague was in the Top 5 in passing. Defensively Dooley was #2 in the GMC and Myers was #8. Otte was #4 in kicking, King was #2 in punting, and Henson #4 in kickoffs (yes quirks of GMC statistics in some cases).

Next year's schedule will be similar to this years schedule. There will be some rebuilding on defense, the backfield will be new and MLB and DE will be new. On offense, the core returns, but 50% of the YPG and 85% of the scoring will have graduated. There are some good sophomores stepping in and some juniors that didn't get much playing time.

It will be fun to watch. Castner has proven to be an effective leader and a good coach. As it was with Sedmak, years 3 & 4 will be when you can really judge Coach Castner because those teams will predominantly have come up in his system.

It's always fun to listen to 'experts' as they go over what worked, didn't work, how things would've worked out, how they could've worked out......

Messaging is important, but that doesn't win ballgames. Mason has been rebuilding for 3 years and with the improved off-season conditioning, the program changes put in place after 2006 and 2009 definitely made a difference. 2010 was a culmination of the efforts of 2 good coaches over the last 4 seasons. Coming from almost unanimously being picked to finish last in the GMC to being in the hunt for an R4 playoff spot in Week 9 is huge. Definitely a good year to be a Comet fan.

I would've said last years schedule was tougher than this years, but Colerain instead of Middletown is not much difference and the real only difference is Fairfield and East - supposedly both of those teams were on the rise after last year. Based on record, you'd have to say that this year's edition was the best Comet team since 2005 and you could make an argument for even longer due to differences in the GMC and FAVC - but that tends to ignore all of the things that make up a team.

Fulcher might have made a difference last year, but the 8-10 boys that were out at various times of the year last year could've also made a difference. Mason was dead last in offense and defense last year, of course the offense was throwing more than running and that will make a difference too.

Statistically, the Comet defense came up from 10th in 2009 (345 ypg) to 4th (275 ypg) and from surrendering 28 ppg to only giving up 22ppg. That is a huge improvement. In overall offense, Mason came up from 10th to 6th in the GMC, from 1857 ypg to 2654 ypg and from 635 rushing yards to 1915 yards. Mason also improved scoring from 12 ppg to nearly 21. Those numbers definitely showed Mason moving in the right direction.

I agree with most of what you say above.

Fulcher rated in the top 5 in rushing yards and #1 in scoring. Sprague was in the Top 5 in passing. Defensively Dooley was #2 in the GMC and Myers was #8. Otte was #4 in kicking, King was #2 in punting, and Henson #4 in kickoffs (yes quirks of GMC statistics in some cases).

Next year's schedule will be similar to this years schedule. There will be some rebuilding on defense, the backfield will be new and MLB and DE will be new. On offense, the core returns, but 50% of the YPG and 85% of the scoring will have graduated. There are some good sophomores stepping in and some juniors that didn't get much playing time.

For the rest of your post I’d like to add that your individual statistics you listed are how you and many others typically recognize certain players and over look others. Let me give you a couple of examples.

Looking at the GMC stats a little more unbiased, you will find this (as well as what you’ve posted).

You might want to recognize say the other punter, Niehoff rated #1 number of punts, Niehoff rated #2 in total punt yards, Niehoff rated #2 punts inside of the 20 and Niehoff #10 longest punt, instead of just King at #2 in punt avg. for just 3 punts the entire season. Otte was rated anywhere from #2 to #4 in many kicking categories. Henson being #4 in kickoffs with a total of one kick all year, come on man!

You might want to recognize say Lewis rated #6 BR, Dooley #2 FF and Suess rated #4 FF, Denny / Suess / Dooley all rated #2 FR, Smith / Denny / Swonger / Bertrums all rated #6 in Interceptions, Bal rated #1 and #4 for fumble TD / fumble recovered yards; instead of just Dooley was #2 in the GMC and Myers was #8 (in sacks alone).

Again it’s sad that the same players seem to get recognized for accomplishments while others don’t, even though their accomplishments/stats are as good or better. Sad truth but I guess that’s just bias rearing its ugly head once again; intentionally or unintentionally.

Another example is at the beginning of the year 4 players were tagged as “the players to watch” in 2010 for Mason football. Out of all four players only one (David Fulcher) lived up to all the special attention/hype.

My point is that there were many valuable contributors to this year’s team and not just a select few names thrown around multiple times on the Mason Football Website, Yappi, and other various venues. To see what you want to see is fine but to give credit to some and to ignore others that have as great or better accomplishments/stats is just plain wrong!

It will be fun to watch. Castner has proven to be an effective leader and a good coach. As it was with Sedmak, years 3 & 4 will be when you can really judge Coach Castner because those teams will predominantly have come up in his system.

Interesting you say this because if true why did Mason get rid of Sedmak and hire Castner? Castner assessed and utilized his talent more effectively by moving players around. It was almost a completely different team position wise. Castner has already won as many games and brought as many players back into the program as Sedmak did, in half the time. This is the main reason a new coach was brought in; to get better results by doing a better job and that’s what we all seen this year.

......For the rest of your post I’d like to add that your individual statistics you listed are how you and many others typically recognize certain players and over look others. Let me give you a couple of examples.......

Looking at the GMC stats a little more unbiased, you will find this (as well as what you’ve posted)........

You might note that I said that this was one of the quirks of how the GMC rates players. For some reason you felt that recognizing those shown in the simple analysis is 'biased', no it's just I was going through the top 10 in the noted categories. As a matter of fact, no one seems to remember Henson's kick, and the Kings thought it was funny that Ethan did that with only 4-5 kicks.

As far as the players to watch, that is the coaches call. But you had one of them that was hurt for half the season, and another was a part of the game that had a lot of players to share time with. The other two were on the list last year and one was hurt for 9 games and the other played out of position for the entire season.

As far as who gets mentioned in the paper, a website, etc. That's up to the coach - from players of the game, to who gets interviewed, to who gets to make statements and I thought Castner did a pretty good job spreading that around. As far as Yappi, no one talks about specific players from Mason because people like you feel threatened if your son (or nephew, or cousin's nephew) is overlooked and you feel like you need to talk down about a 16-18 year old kid. Even at the end of a season, going off of the conference website, you want to talk about bias not about accomplishments.

If you were interested in those stats, why not just post them as an addendum? If you or your kid was jealous over who the coach said were his players to watch, celebrate for them and add your own. No you feel a need to begrudge 4 kids from being recognized and every one of them had a nice season and actually 2 or 3 of them covered their 'hype' but why let that get in your way?

It takes 22 kids to play and from the kids that didn't miss a down in their assigned position to the ones that never saw the field, everyone contributes. Don't begrudge the ones that achieved something and don't belittle someone because they never saw the field.

As far as Castner, he wasn't given an empty cupboard. That doesn't take away from what he did, but just as Sedmak had to build off of what Popovich left, Castner has to build on what Sedmak left. It's the nature of sports, not an indictment. Whatever reason Sedmak resigned over (as did Popovich), the school went with Castner. Get over it, he did a good job and nothing I said detracts from that, but like I said the real judgement happens in year 3 or 4. That's the way it always is in HS sports. Like the fellow over in Fairfield, last year he was a genius, this year, not so much - he's still got to show that he can win and consistently - and that his program is the difference. I hope they don't, but if Mason slides to 4-6 or 3-7 next year, how long will the wolves wait? Coaching is a nasty profession, because in most places it's what have you done for me lately, today's eagle is tomorrows goat. You have to judge them over the long haul.

You might note that I said that this was one of the quirks of how the GMC rates players. For some reason you felt that recognizing those shown in the simple analysis is 'biased', no it's just I was going through the top 10 in the noted categories. As a matter of fact, no one seems to remember Henson's kick, and the Kings thought it was funny that Ethan did that with only 4-5 kicks.

As far as the players to watch, that is the coaches call. But you had one of them that was hurt for half the season, and another was a part of the game that had a lot of players to share time with. The other two were on the list last year and one was hurt for 9 games and the other played out of position for the entire season.

As far as who gets mentioned in the paper, a website, etc. That's up to the coach - from players of the game, to who gets interviewed, to who gets to make statements and I thought Castner did a pretty good job spreading that around. As far as Yappi, no one talks about specific players from Mason because people like you feel threatened if your son (or nephew, or cousin's nephew) is overlooked and you feel like you need to talk down about a 16-18 year old kid. Even at the end of a season, going off of the conference website, you want to talk about bias not about accomplishments.

If you were interested in those stats, why not just post them as an addendum? If you or your kid was jealous over who the coach said were his players to watch, celebrate for them and add your own. No you feel a need to begrudge 4 kids from being recognized and every one of them had a nice season and actually 2 or 3 of them covered their 'hype' but why let that get in your way?

It takes 22 kids to play and from the kids that didn't miss a down in their assigned position to the ones that never saw the field, everyone contributes. Don't begrudge the ones that achieved something and don't belittle someone because they never saw the field.

As far as Castner, he wasn't given an empty cupboard. That doesn't take away from what he did, but just as Sedmak had to build off of what Popovich left, Castner has to build on what Sedmak left. It's the nature of sports, not an indictment. Whatever reason Sedmak resigned over (as did Popovich), the school went with Castner. Get over it, he did a good job and nothing I said detracts from that, but like I said the real judgment happens in year 3 or 4. That's the way it always is in HS sports. Like the fellow over in Fairfield, last year he was a genius, this year, not so much - he's still got to show that he can win and consistently - and that his program is the difference. I hope they don't, but if Mason slides to 4-6 or 3-7 next year, how long will the wolves wait? Coaching is a nasty profession, because in most places it's what have you done for me lately, today's eagle is tomorrows goat. You have to judge them over the long haul.

Please don’t try to twist around what I posted. You were the one that only mentioned certain players and left out others just like you did when contributing to most of the articles on the Mason Website this year.
Am I correct that you were a major contributor to that site, right? I see you made sure there were plenty of articles about your own son as well as the ones you listed above in your original post.
For your information there were several other players that did some of the same type camps, off season college visits, and other accomplishments etc. (the same type things as the "select few" from one of your articles titled "Comet Football: Class of 2011 Notes".)

Again the players you wrote about on the website, so happen to be the same ones you recognized in your above post. Writing articles about your own son and other players you coached in the past might make one suspicious of a certain bias on your part; don’t you think that could be the case? Don’t you also take many of the photos that are used on the Website and other various article venues?

These are both examples on why parents that have kids actively participating in the program should not be “connected” with the areas that report and communicate recognition. It’s normal for someone to show bias when your emotionally connected to someone. If these are done by a relative or friend than you can bet little Johnny will get the best advantage point. Why do you think that when little Johnny graduates that the parent that was involved usually also moves on?

Think about it; they do it for their kids so why would getting an advantage for the child of the parent that helps out, surprise anyone?
Not saying all volunteers give advantage just saying the volunteers that are in the position to do it, can and will, in most cases it’s the truth even though most that have done it won't admit it. It is what it is!

If you reread my post you will see I said “Looking at the GMC stats a little more unbiased, you will find this (as well as what you’ve posted).” This means In addition to the accomplishments of the "select few" you mentioned. It’s not about jealousy because the same players I mentioned and you left out, had just as good or better accomplishments as the ones you’ve continued to praise all year long. It’s about you being biased by interpreting the GMC stats and other information your way to report what you want.

Just like you say above “No you feel a need to begrudge 4 kids from being recognized and every one of them had a nice season and actually 2 or 3 of them covered their 'hype' but why let that get in your way?” I bet one of the ones you’re talking about that "covered their hype" is you own son, right? No bias there? No one is “begrudging” anyone. I, as well as I’m sure most everyone would agree all those “special players to watch” did have “a nice season” but again only one lived up to the extra “hype” (extra ordinary accomplishments) by you and whoever else helped publish the many articles and communications at the various media outlets that you gave “special” attention too.

Here’s another example of your misguided interpretations below:

“It takes 22 kids to play and from the kids that didn't miss a down in their assigned position to the ones that never saw the field, everyone contributes. Don't begrudge the ones that achieved something and don't belittle someone because they never saw the field.”

By your statement above you’re trying to blame or say I’m doing this above while in reality that’s exactly what you did by only commenting on your “select” few players. In fact I did the opposite of the above by posting additional players you continually left out all year.

One last example of how you try to interpret and twist things around using your well developed bias and manipulative skills is what you continue to say about coach Sedmak; that he resigned for “Whatever reason”, when we all know he resigned to avoid being fired for not doing an acceptable job.

You, my friend need to get over the Sedmak era (or should I say saga) and move on. Support the coach that has finally brought progress to the Mason football program since joining the GMC.

Nice season and congratulations to all the players, coaches, parents, and fans that make up the new and improved Mason football program!

Go Comets and contiue the progress next year!!

Last edited:
Please don’t try to twist around what I posted. You were the one that only mentioned certain players and left out others just like you did when contributing to most of the articles on the Mason Website this year.

Am I correct that you were a major contributor to that site, right? I see you made sure there were plenty of articles about your own son as well as the ones you listed above in your original post.
For your information there were several other players that did some of the same type camps, off season college visits, and other accomplishments etc. (the same type things as the "select few" from one of your articles titled "Comet Football: Class of 2011 Notes".)

wow. You would be incorrect, you should pay attention more, and probably participate a little more. There were numerous calls and emails from the touchdown club for parent participation - seeking photos, articles, news bits, scores, camp information, etc. to go onto the website starting back in January. Unless you know differently, every piece of information submitted, including some from last years players, seems to have been posted.

I just went on the site and noticed that more than 90% of the content is player neutral (all players featured equally) or taken from material from the Pulse Journal. As I recall, those things that were published by the TDC were published after asking parents for participation to insure that no one was left out. This isn't youth sports where everyone that participates gets mentioned in the Pulse Journal, or somewhere down the line all 92 football players were featured as MVPs.

As I said, I went to the GMC site and took the Mason players ranked in the top 10 measurements used by the GMC. If you want to break it down farther so your kid gets mentioned, go for it. But you seem to have a huge problem if your kid isn't mentioned or doesn't get playing time and want to blame everyone else for that or cry bias.

People volunteer for a lot of reasons, the fact that they ARE volunteering is a good thing. With nearly 400 football families it is usually the same faces cleaning out storage units, shlepping water, making sure the boys are fed, etc. There may be people that think volunteering somehow gets their kid a better deal, I don't think it does, but what it DOES do is get their family plugged in so that they know what is going on. They probably are also the ones that provide materials when asked for, they want to participate and take advantage of the things that ARE available.

BigBlueFan pretty much has you pegged SWO_Sports/HWCUSA/etc. You do it in football and you will do it in baseball and any other sport your kid is in. Like I said, if you wanted to feature other stats, all you had to do was post them, but you don't participate, you froth.

wow. You would be incorrect, you should pay attention more, and probably participate a little more. There were numerous calls and emails from the touchdown club for parent participation - seeking photos, articles, news bits, scores, camp information, etc. to go onto the website starting back in January. Unless you know differently, every piece of information submitted, including some from last years players, seems to have been posted.

I just went on the site and noticed that more than 90% of the content is player neutral (all players featured equally) or taken from material from the Pulse Journal. As I recall, those things that were published by the TDC were published after asking parents for participation to insure that no one was left out. This isn't youth sports where everyone that participates gets mentioned in the Pulse Journal, or somewhere down the line all 92 football players were featured as MVPs.

As I said, I went to the GMC site and took the Mason players ranked in the top 10 measurements used by the GMC. If you want to break it down farther so your kid gets mentioned, go for it. But you seem to have a huge problem if your kid isn't mentioned or doesn't get playing time and want to blame everyone else for that or cry bias.

People volunteer for a lot of reasons, the fact that they ARE volunteering is a good thing. With nearly 400 football families it is usually the same faces cleaning out storage units, shlepping water, making sure the boys are fed, etc. There may be people that think volunteering somehow gets their kid a better deal, I don't think it does, but what it DOES do is get their family plugged in so that they know what is going on. They probably are also the ones that provide materials when asked for, they want to participate and take advantage of the things that ARE available.

BigBlueFan pretty much has you pegged SWO_Sports/HWCUSA/etc. You do it in football and you will do it in baseball and any other sport your kid is in. Like I said, if you wanted to feature other stats, all you had to do was post them, but you don't participate, you froth.

Why am I not surprised with this response. You obviously don’t deny you had significant input and were the major contributor to the delivery of many of the articles via your informational input/pictures etc.

It’s funny that you go out, reread, then verify the info you help create, and then give yourself a thumbs up for the great work that was done.

No, you’re still not biased even though you evaluated your own work. Now that’s comical. Now you think you are the spokesman for the TDC and you know for sure that everyone was like you say, contacted via “numerous calls and emails from the touchdown club for parent participation - seeking photos, articles, news bits, scores, camp information, etc. to go onto the website starting back in January.” Just maybe the ones that were contacted were the only ones that you or someone else wanted information for.

Again, you try to twist things around by posting comments like this “This isn't youth sports where everyone that participates gets mentioned in the Pulse Journal, or somewhere down the line all 92 football players were featured as MVPs.” No one is saying that but you know there were players that were left out that had as many accomplishments or more than the normal “special players” that you have written about numerous times.
Go ahead and keep thinking that your son being featured/written about much more than any other player (the articles you participated in) has nothing to do with your biased participation. The same can be said for the other “special players” that you coached in the past. But again that’s just a coincidence right?

Nice try again to try to spin things away from the truth by using the plug about volunteers above, but that diversion fails because I wrote this below in my last post;
“Not saying all volunteers give advantage just saying the volunteers that are in the position to do it, can and will, in most cases it’s the truth even though most that have done it won't admit it. It is what it is!"
Remenber?

In case you haven’t noticed I’m talking about you here and the extra effort you put in recognizing some and leaving out others. You know, the coaches know and everyone else knows some players were recognized more than others even though their performance was equal or less than others that were not recognized. I don’t expect you to see this because it’s you I’m talking about.

As I said in my previous post, “My point is that there were many valuable contributors to this year’s team and not just a select few names thrown around multiple times on the Mason Football Website, Yappi, and other various venues. To see what you want to see is fine but to give credit to some and to ignore others that have as great or better accomplishments/stats is just plain wrong!” and that’s what you’ve done on your original post and throughout the year on the Mason football site.
It’s not a coincidence that your biased in favor of your son and the other players you coached in the past; its human nature and that’s why you see what you seen and wrote what you wrote.

The reference about another poster on Yappi is also funny because if I recall he’s the same poster that called you an idiot and a Jack wagon just recently (his words not mine) on another thread. So if you want to use him as some kind of reference you just made yourself look pretty bad, again.

Why am I not surprised with this response. You obviously don’t deny you had significant input and were the major contributor to the delivery of many of the articles via your informational input/pictures etc.

It’s funny that you go out, reread, then verify the info you help create, and then give yourself a thumbs up for the great work that was done.

No, you’re still not biased even though you evaluated your own work. Now that’s comical. Now you think you are the spokesman for the TDC and you know for sure that everyone was like you say, contacted via “numerous calls and emails from the touchdown club for parent participation - seeking photos, articles, news bits, scores, camp information, etc. to go onto the website starting back in January.” Just maybe the ones that were contacted were the only ones that you or someone else wanted information for.

Again, you try to twist things around by posting comments like this “This isn't youth sports where everyone that participates gets mentioned in the Pulse Journal, or somewhere down the line all 92 football players were featured as MVPs.” No one is saying that but you know there were players that were left out that had as many accomplishments or more than the normal “special players” that you have written about numerous times.
Go ahead and keep thinking that your son being featured/written about much more than any other player (the articles you participated in) has nothing to do with your biased participation. The same can be said for the other “special players” that you coached in the past. But again that’s just a coincidence right?

Nice try again to try to spin things away from the truth by using the plug about volunteers above, but that diversion fails because I wrote this below in my last post;
“Not saying all volunteers give advantage just saying the volunteers that are in the position to do it, can and will, in most cases it’s the truth even though most that have done it won't admit it. It is what it is!"
Remenber?

In case you haven’t noticed I’m talking about you here and the extra effort you put in recognizing some and leaving out others. You know, the coaches know and everyone else knows some players were recognized more than others even though their performance was equal or less than others that were not recognized. I don’t expect you to see this because it’s you I’m talking about.

As I said in my previous post, “My point is that there were many valuable contributors to this year’s team and not just a select few names thrown around multiple times on the Mason Football Website, Yappi, and other various venues. To see what you want to see is fine but to give credit to some and to ignore others that have as great or better accomplishments/stats is just plain wrong!” and that’s what you’ve done on your original post and throughout the year on the Mason football site.
It’s not a coincidence that your biased in favor of your son and the other players you coached in the past; its human nature and that’s why you see what you seen and wrote what you wrote.

The reference about another poster on Yappi is also funny because if I recall he’s the same poster that called you an idiot and a Jack wagon just recently (his words not mine) on another thread. So if you want to use him as some kind of reference you just made yourself look pretty bad, again.

You are right on SWO. The hype for "Look like Tarzan, Play like Jane" has always been pretty over the top and generated from one source. Don't go to the GMC web site for the stats, go to the Mason Comets web site if you want to see the real truth. Last time I checked, the Sycamore stats hadn't been posted yet, but there were two linebackers who are juniors that led the team with tackles. Not a stat you see on the GMC web site. Heck, even a cornerback (Bertrums) (Denny)adjuster (King who only played 6 or 7 games because of injury) had more solo tackles than the middle linebacker.

You are right, there were alot of players who contributed to this season. Certain players have been hyped all season long and few lived up to the press. I believe Dooley and Fulcher should receive all GMC honors for their play this year. Suess and Denny should get some kudos as well.

Hey buddy, if you have a problem with the way I played, why don't you say it to my face? Last I checked, this is a team game and I'm very proud of the way my teammates stepped up this year along side of me. I had a lot of chances to make plays this year that I didn't capitalize on, and if that offended or upset you in anyway, then by all means, I'm sorry man. I didn't know I was suppose to be perfect :/ .. As for my hype? What hype did I have? A good combine score? Was I suppose to be the best linebacker in the state? I don't think anybody would argue to say I was, or for that fact have anybody else say I was going to be. So I give you credit for your evaluation of the team from your, what I can only assume, well accredited position of judging. I appreciate your input, and good luck with the rest of your endeavors ;)

This thread is the epitome of the problems with football at Mason. One poster starts a thread to wish the team congratulations. Then the parents of a DB and a LB decide to argue over who got more pub and who did and did not deserve it. To top it off, one of those overhyped players decides to join the fray with a screen name aimed at a teammate.

To the dads, both of your kids had decent senior seasons, but I don't think either will be bringing home all conference honors. If they do, it would be an insult to other players around the league. And to the player, that's a joke. If you had a problem with your teammate, why didn't you say it to his face? And now you hop on Yappi, identify yourself and try to talk smack to someone else? I guess this season didn't teach you as much humility as it should have, kid.

You guys are prime examples of the problems with Mason football. It's all about individuals, not the team. And there's another crop right behind you ready to live their kids senior year like it's their own. It's all about me and never about we. That's why the program continues to suffer. If Castner wants to win, the first thing he needs to do is kick guys like you to the curb.

Hahaha, a problem with my teammate? David Fulcher is one of my best friends and again, I'm sorry to you for your interpretation of my screenname, I really am. Maybe I was trying to poke fun at my friend?:shrug: And was there any negativity in my post? :shrug: nope... I wonder what snide remark you'll post next?:Ohno:

Hahaha, a problem with my teammate? David Fulcher is one of my best friends and again, I'm sorry to you for your interpretation of my screenname, I really am. Maybe I was trying to poke fun at my friend?:shrug: And was there any negativity in my post? :shrug: nope... I wonder what snide remark you'll post next?:Ohno:
OK, guess you don't have a problem with Fulcher after all. But you decide the best move was to come on here running your mouth, identify yourself and challenge someone to say something to your face? Pretty bold move for a guy that finished as far down the stats as you. Hasn't your dad already done enough to embarrass you on here?

Oh man, you're totally right... I wasn't first on the team in anything, what ever shall I do? I guess my whole life is ruined... :/ Oh well... There goes my professional football career... :/ There goes my college education.... :/ There goes all self-respect I ever had... :/

And as far as my dad? I stand behind him and support him in whatever he says or does. I guess that's what family, especially a son, is suppose to do.. I couldn't ask for a better friend or mentor in my life. I am GLAD as I could be it isn't you.

Oh man, you're totally right... I wasn't first on the team in anything, what ever shall I do? I guess my whole life is ruined... :/ Oh well... There goes my professional football career... :/ There goes my college education.... :/ There goes all self-respect I ever had... :/

That's right, put the program first. You need to make your way back over to the kiddie pool...

And as far as my dad? I stand behind him and support him in whatever he says or does. I guess that's what family, especially a son, is suppose to do.. I couldn't ask for a better friend or mentor in my life. I am GLAD as I could be it isn't you.
Your dad and the other dad in this forum have both embarrassed themselves, their kids and the Mason football program. Here's hoping that next year's class has more players and fewer stage moms.

Your dad and the other dad in this forum have both embarrassed themselves, their kids and the Mason football program. Here's hoping that next year's class has more players and fewer stage moms.

You'll have to excuse me for jumping back in here, but it's obvious you don't know squat about Mason football, the history of the program, and the history of some of the posters. Go back and read my original post where I said nothing derogatory about any players, the program, the coaches, etc. I was adding to the accolades. SWO could have done the same thing, but chose a different path.

Regarding him, he's been moderated more than any other person for the last couple of years, it doesn't matter the sport, every sport his son plays in his father is ridiculed. He doesn't like me for some reason, so anytime I post anything I have to deal with his crap. I used a published source, and listed those players listed in the top 10 - even pointed out that it was due to some GMC statistical quirks. His comment on hype boils down to a list of 'the players to watch' that the coach provided to the newspaper and some preseason notices. His comment about a website boils down to the fact that some people submitted stories, information, etc. and some people didn't - and everyone had a chance. Everything else was provided by the school and the local newspaper. Take a look.

My son took exception to abigfan because he made it personal. Stats are important, but they don't tell a complete story. As an example, if the outside guys are making a lot of tackles, it's usually because no one is running up the middle. That doesn't take away from the accomplishments of those kids because there were times last year many tackles were missed. But the coaches make the calls and if kids were not in position or making the plays they were supposed to, they were pulled off the field and corrected.

As far as putting the program 1st, my son earned his spot at varsity LB for the last 3 years. Last year at the request of the coaches, he played offensive line because they needed him to do that. He gave up the position that he was being recruited for - for the team. They gave him the choice and he made one of the most mature decisions you could ask a 17 year old to make. In 4 years, he has led the team in off-season preparation, attendance, playing time, and anything else the coaches have asked him to do - whoever the coach was at whatever level and never complained.

And as far as my son is concerned, I am proud of him - as I am my other two kids. I have been privileged to watch him grow and become a fine young man. Not just my opinion, but coaches, teachers, other parents, and his fellow players. I've watched him play 11 seasons of football, with intelligence, dignity, and aggressiveness. I've watched him wrestle, play baseball, run track, play golf, anything he attempts to do he does it well. He has great academics and that is making it easy for us as we look at various colleges to find a fit as he continues to grow. He doesn't have to settle for anything.

You want to raise a stink with a kid that is defending himself against an unidentified blowhard - AFTER the season? Seriously? My son's reply was mature, accurate, and not full of crap like other comments. Now, do I wish some Mason fans were more mature? Yes. Do I wish someone could have a civil conversation on the topic of Mason football? Yes. Do I wish that this entire train never happened? Yes. But I didn't start it, and once it got absurd I dropped out of it. I don't see where I embarrased myself, Mason football, or my son.

This thread is the epitome of the problems with football at Mason. One poster starts a thread to wish the team congratulations. Then the parents of a DB and a LB decide to argue over who got more pub and who did and did not deserve it. To top it off, one of those overhyped players decides to join the fray with a screen name aimed at a teammate.

To the dads, both of your kids had decent senior seasons, but I don't think either will be bringing home all conference honors. If they do, it would be an insult to other players around the league. And to the player, that's a joke. If you had a problem with your teammate, why didn't you say it to his face? And now you hop on Yappi, identify yourself and try to talk smack to someone else? I guess this season didn't teach you as much humility as it should have, kid.

You guys are prime examples of the problems with Mason football. It's all about individuals, not the team. And there's another crop right behind you ready to live their kids senior year like it's their own. It's all about me and never about we. That's why the program continues to suffer. If Castner wants to win, the first thing he needs to do is kick guys like you to the curb.

Welcome to Yappi! So... you sign up on Yappi to dis the football program, fail next years "crop" and argue with a kid! I guess we all should be like you; then the program will be right on, correct?

It's about the good old buddy system, who likes who. Until performance and results are top priority then you can forget about being on top. I'm not saying that this is everything, just saying it has to be the main focus. It starts with making sure that everyone who is "connected" is no longer in the mix. To overhype and recognize one player and give little to no recognition to a top performer will do nothing but harm to both players and the team.
Team performance is the sum of each players individual performance and results.

Recognizing some players more than others even though their performance was equal or less and in some cases no recognition at all, is down right wrong and will have a adverse effect on the entire program/team.

All the real successful sports at Mason fortunately do not suffer from this phenomenon. As long as this goes on, the football program will only experience moderate success at best.

Individuals that question the status quo and bring up facts and valid observations are looked upon as nothing more than trouble makers. Until these things are addressed and looked upon as at least possibilities then nothing will change including the success or lack of success with the football program.

PS. To prove my point, look at who received all conference awards. Some are no brainer's and some are down right shocking. Great example of the "good ole buddy system" in some cases.

Last edited:
You are right on SWO. The hype for "Look like Tarzan, Play like Jane" has always been pretty over the top and generated from one source. Don't go to the GMC web site for the stats, go to the Mason Comets web site if you want to see the real truth. Last time I checked, the Sycamore stats hadn't been posted yet, but there were two linebackers who are juniors that led the team with tackles. Not a stat you see on the GMC web site. Heck, even a cornerback (Bertrums) (Denny)adjuster (King who only played 6 or 7 games because of injury) had more solo tackles than the middle linebacker.

You are right, there were alot of players who contributed to this season. Certain players have been hyped all season long and few lived up to the press. I believe Dooley and Fulcher should receive all GMC honors for their play this year. Suess and Denny should get some kudos as well.

I did go out to the Mason Comets website and that is a clearer picture of the top performers. What doesn't make sense is if this is the data that was used to determine who the coaches recognized and who got nominated for All conference, then some nominations do not make sense to me?

You'll have to excuse me for jumping back in here, but it's obvious you don't know squat about Mason football, the history of the program, and the history of some of the posters. Go back and read my original post where I said nothing derogatory about any players, the program, the coaches, etc. I was adding to the accolades. SWO could have done the same thing, but chose a different path.

Regarding him, he's been moderated more than any other person for the last couple of years, it doesn't matter the sport, every sport his son plays in his father is ridiculed. He doesn't like me for some reason, so anytime I post anything I have to deal with his crap. I used a published source, and listed those players listed in the top 10 - even pointed out that it was due to some GMC statistical quirks. His comment on hype boils down to a list of 'the players to watch' that the coach provided to the newspaper and some preseason notices. His comment about a website boils down to the fact that some people submitted stories, information, etc. and some people didn't - and everyone had a chance. Everything else was provided by the school and the local newspaper. Take a look.

My son took exception to abigfan because he made it personal. Stats are important, but they don't tell a complete story. As an example, if the outside guys are making a lot of tackles, it's usually because no one is running up the middle. That doesn't take away from the accomplishments of those kids because there were times last year many tackles were missed. But the coaches make the calls and if kids were not in position or making the plays they were supposed to, they were pulled off the field and corrected.

As far as putting the program 1st, my son earned his spot at varsity LB for the last 3 years. Last year at the request of the coaches, he played offensive line because they needed him to do that. He gave up the position that he was being recruited for - for the team. They gave him the choice and he made one of the most mature decisions you could ask a 17 year old to make. In 4 years, he has led the team in off-season preparation, attendance, playing time, and anything else the coaches have asked him to do - whoever the coach was at whatever level and never complained.

And as far as my son is concerned, I am proud of him - as I am my other two kids. I have been privileged to watch him grow and become a fine young man. Not just my opinion, but coaches, teachers, other parents, and his fellow players. I've watched him play 11 seasons of football, with intelligence, dignity, and aggressiveness. I've watched him wrestle, play baseball, run track, play golf, anything he attempts to do he does it well. He has great academics and that is making it easy for us as we look at various colleges to find a fit as he continues to grow. He doesn't have to settle for anything.

You want to raise a stink with a kid that is defending himself against an unidentified blowhard - AFTER the season? Seriously? My son's reply was mature, accurate, and not full of crap like other comments. Now, do I wish some Mason fans were more mature? Yes. Do I wish someone could have a civil conversation on the topic of Mason football? Yes. Do I wish that this entire train never happened? Yes. But I didn't start it, and once it got absurd I dropped out of it. I don't see where I embarrased myself, Mason football, or my son.
Sorry, sports diva dad, I know plenty about Mason sports, the football program, and your own behavior around it. I know all about the selective hype, the backdoor politics and the me first attitude. And I know that running with a green parachute strapped to your back doesn't make you a football player - this was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt this year. The last thing a high school kid needs to do is come online, identify himself and then challenge someone else. The last thing your kid wants is a confrontation with a grown man. You should know better and your son should know better, but based on history, that's probably too much to ask.

The way that you and SWO have behaved in these forums and other forums is an embarrassment to Mason and the football program. I'd like to think that better days are ahead for Mason football in this regard, but I'm afraid there is another crop of stage diva parents close behind.

Welcome to Yappi! So... you sign up on Yappi to dis the football program, fail next years "crop" and argue with a kid! I guess we all should be like you; then the program will be right on, correct?

It's about the good old buddy system, who likes who. Until performance and results are top priority then you can forget about being on top. I'm not saying that this is everything, just saying it has to be the main focus. It starts with making sure that everyone who is "connected" is no longer in the mix. To overhype and recognize one player and give little to no recognition to a top performer will do nothing but harm to both players and the team.
Team performance is the sum of each players individual performance and results.

Recognizing some players more than others even though their performance was equal or less and in some cases no recognition at all, is down right wrong and will have a adverse effect on the entire program/team.

All the real successful sports at Mason fortunately do not suffer from this phenomenon. As long as this goes on, the football program will only experience moderate success at best.

Individuals that question the status quo and bring up facts and valid observations are looked upon as nothing more than trouble makers. Until these things are addressed and looked upon as at least possibilities then nothing will change including the success or lack of success with the football program.

PS. To prove my point, look at who received all conference awards. Some are no brainer's and some are down right shocking. Great example of the "good ole buddy system" in some cases.
There's quite a difference in reporting the honest state of the program vs. "dissing" it. And I didn't argue with the kid, I questioned his thinking for coming on here, identifying himself and then challenging another poster. That isn't responsible behavior for a high school student.

Your own comments would seem to be plenty disrespectful on their own. The way you have behaved around this program, other sports and these online forums is an embarrassment to the community. Thank goodness you can move on to other things after this year.

There's quite a difference in reporting the honest state of the program vs. "dissing" it. And I didn't argue with the kid, I questioned his thinking for coming on here, identifying himself and then challenging another poster. That isn't responsible behavior for a high school student.

Your own comments would seem to be plenty disrespectful on their own. The way you have behaved around this program, other sports and these online forums is an embarrassment to the community. Thank goodness you can move on to other things after this year.

I find it interesting that you say two posts back (your quote) "I know all about the selective hype, the backdoor politics and the me first attitude."When that's exactly what I've been writing about on this thread.

So.. when you say it, somehow it's "reporting the honest state of the program", makes you respectful, and an outstanding citizen of the Mason "community". But when I or anyone else gives real life examples and says the same thing (in so many words) I/we somehow are dishonest and "an embarrassment to the Mason community"?

Wow! I think this situation is what they call a double standard! The only difference between me and you is I put the time and effort to explain myself with detail/examples but you were lazy and just gave a blanket statement. You spent most of your writing time on dissing others than tying to prove a point.

Also you seem to think you are the only one that has and can give a valid opinion. Wrong again!

By the way; I live in Mason and I'm not going anywhere soon. You can bet that if I have an opinion on something and want to call someone out on issues such as favoritism, I will! You have the option of not reading my post, so deal with it, if you have a problem hearing the truth from me; move on!

Last edited:
I find it interesting that you say two posts back (your quote) "I know all about the selective hype, the backdoor politics and the me first attitude."When that's exactly what I've been writing about on this thread.

So.. when you say it, somehow it's "reporting the honest state of the program", makes you respectful, and an outstanding citizen of the Mason "community". But when I or anyone else gives real life examples and says the same thing (in so many words) I/we somehow are dishonest and "an embarrassment to the Mason community"?

Wow! I think this situation is what they call a double standard! The only difference between me and you is I put the time and effort to explain myself with detail/examples but you were lazy and just gave a blanket statement. You spent most of your writing time on dissing others than tying to prove a point.

Also you seem to think you are the only one that has and can give a valid opinion. Wrong again!

By the way; I live in Mason and I'm not going anywhere soon. You can bet that if I have an opinion on something and want to call someone out on issues such as favoritism, I will! You have the option of not reading my post, so deal with it, if you have a problem hearing the truth from me; move on!

Glad you still know how to copy, paste and bold. I was worried there for a minute! You are still the same embarrassment that you've been for years. Gotta make your son feel great.

Status
Not open for further replies.