College Football At A Crossroad: Chip Kelly's Proposal

Omega

Chip Kelly Proposal To Fix CFB

Bullet Points:

• Separate Power 5 CFB from all other sports.

• Eliminate conferences into one P5 super conference with fixed regional pod schedules plus rotating schedules against teams not in your pod.

• Eliminate NIL and have the colleges pay the players directly.

• Place P5 CFB governance under a commissioner to formulate and enforce the rules.

The individual parts have been proposed in some fashion of another. Yet Kelly's ideas consolidates them and puts forth an NFL "life" stucture.

Thoughts ?

Bullet Points:

• Eliminate conferences into one P5 super conference with fixed regional pod schedules plus rotating schedules against teams not in your pod.

• Place P5 CFB governance under a commissioner to formulate and enforce the rules.

The individual parts have been proposed in some fashion of another. Yet Kelly's ideas consolidates them and puts forth an NFL "life" stucture.

Thoughts ?
I understand Chip's thoughts, but how does that work from a conference monetary standpoint? These athletic departments are linked to the conferences and the TV money. That's what's at stake here. For instance, Chip's UCLA has probably what 25 sponsored sports along with football and basketball. The athletic department gets most of it's funding from the TV deals set up for the football and basketball programs. Does the money just continually go to the schools and their athletic departments?
Can you just pay the football players and no other athletes?
If the schools pay the kids, how long before it's taxable?
I don't hate the idea, I just think it's really hard to make it work. You've got non-revenue sports at most of these schools who are now used to the Cadillac lifestyle, and they'll be asked to go back to the economy car?

I understand Chip's thoughts, but how does that work from a conference monetary standpoint? These athletic departments are linked to the conferences and the TV money. That's what's at stake here. For instance, Chip's UCLA has probably what 25 sponsored sports along with football and basketball. The athletic department gets most of it's funding from the TV deals set up for the football and basketball programs. Does the money just continually go to the schools and their athletic departments?
Can you just pay the football players and no other athletes?
If the schools pay the kids, how long before it's taxable?
I don't hate the idea, I just think it's really hard to make it work. You've got non-revenue sports at most of these schools who are now used to the Cadillac lifestyle, and they'll be asked to go back to the economy car?
It is all above my pay grade, but would likely involve federal legislation, revenue sharing, and treating players as employees with contract bargaining rights.

64 teams is probably 32 too many to start with. I assume all players receiving NIL are currently paying taxes on those monies.

It is all above my pay grade, but would likely involve federal legislation, revenue sharing, and treating players as employees with contract bargaining rights.
The last thing they need is federal legislation, but they do need to figure this out. The major sticking point is these colleges entire athletic programs NEED the money that football and men's basketball brings into their schools to operate. Open up the books, most of the sports at these schools are not revenue generating, actually most operate at a loss. The major MAJOR issue is nearly ALL women's sports are supported by football and or Men's basketball as well. A few programs, UCONN, Tennessee, have big women's hoop followings, but mostly no.
You break off football and classify those student athletes as different from the typical student athlete and that's a problem.
The other thing to consider is that although we hear alot about NIL, there is still very few of these student athletes who have enough juice to negotiate a deal worth anything.

The last thing they need is federal legislation, but they do need to figure this out. The major sticking point is these colleges entire athletic programs NEED the money that football and men's basketball brings into their schools to operate. Open up the books, most of the sports at these schools are not revenue generating, actually most operate at a loss. The major MAJOR issue is nearly ALL women's sports are supported by football and or Men's basketball as well. A few programs, UCONN, Tennessee, have big women's hoop followings, but mostly no.
You break off football and classify those student athletes as different from the typical student athlete and that's a problem.
The other thing to consider is that although we hear alot about NIL, there is still very few of these student athletes who have enough juice to negotiate a deal worth anything.
The non revenue sports and Title 9 are the sticky wickets. I never like federal involvement , but Title 9 needs a legal workaround for CFB.

The non revenue sports and Title 9 are the sticky wickets. I never like federal involvement , but Title 9 needs a legal workaround for CFB.
I simply do not see that happening. Women's sports are not self sustaining, and there is no way you'd see schools cut 7-8 women's sports because they run out of money. And many men's sports would have to be cut too.
I mean you cut out the TV money and conference money from TV contracts and see how the schools are going to make it work? This is the reason why I don't see football every breaking off from the other college sports.

Bullet Points:

Thoughts ?
Except that there is BARELY a Power Five NOW. And in the not too distant future, it'll be down to a Power THREE, if FSU leaves the ACC!