Cleveland Clinic Thrives While Its Black Neighbors Fall Behind

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
By Shawn Donnan

The Cleveland Clinic, where the heart-bypass operation was perfected, boasts not one but two Intercontinental hotels that cater to wealthy patients from around the world. Visitors can stay in $800-a-night suites and dine on short ribs with blue cheese grits, washing them down with an expensive Bordeaux before seeing a cardiologist.

But across Cedar Avenue, which borders the clinic’s 165-acre campus, is a tableau of American deprivation. Block after block of aging houses that once belonged to middle-class Black families—residential streets that Jesse Owens and Langston Hughes once called home—are dotted with vacant lots that speak to grinding poverty and the consequences of urban decay.

Children born in the predominantly Black census tract south of Cedar have a life expectancy 22 years shorter than those who come into the world in a White-majority suburb a 15-minute drive away. They’re four times more likely to die in the first year of life than a White child in the city and twice as likely to live in poverty as the average Cleveland kid, if they make it past their first birthday.

These are the kind of race baiting issues that is tearing this country apart. It is easy for a hack writer to make an article casting stones from afar rather than do something constructive. The shame is this "writer" thinks he is doing something good while he is really just trying to tear things down.

Children born in the predominantly Black census tract south of Cedar have a life expectancy 22 years shorter than those who come into the world in a White-majority suburb a 15-minute drive away. They’re four times more likely to die in the first year of life than a White child in the city and twice as likely to live in poverty as the average Cleveland kid, if they make it past their first birthday.

That is not race baiting. It is pathetic and sad.

Democratic Mayor should clean up his city.

How many in that neighborhood work in or because of the Clinic? Restaurants nearby? How many people in that neighborhood find themselves saved by the Clinic? Or University Hospital?

I agree, race baiting. It's more fishing for a cause so they can say "I did that." Well it's pure destruction what they're doing.

These are the kind of race baiting issues that is tearing this country apart. It is easy for a hack writer to make an article casting stones from afar rather than do something constructive. The shame is this "writer" thinks he is doing something good while he is really just trying to tear things down.
Nah, his intent was to infer that the reason that the area surrounding the Cleveland Clinic is a third world skat hole was somehow due to the Clinic being located there. This was nothing more than a hit piece, structured to imply that if it weren't for that bad old Clinic this section of Cleveland would be a fraggin' garden spot. Also, the Clinic should write a blank check to the locals for the privilege of being located in this third world skat hole. The writer never intended to communicate anything other than this is another case of those mean old anglo fat cat capitalists taking advantage of those poor unfortunates, and somebody needs to do something to level their karma.....

This is tragic but it is also unfair to lay that at the feet of the Clinic.

We both KNOW that it is because they are poor, not because they are black. Lots of debates about why poor people have a shorter life expectancy but it is quite obvious that the hospital had nothing to do with it. This article was absolutely race baiting.

Reactions: y2h

All those shooting and stabbing deaths bring the life expectancy way down.

I guess the only solution to the problem is for the clinic to pick up and move. Then the area around it can grow and prosper.

We both KNOW that it is because they are poor, not because they are black. Lots of debates about why poor people have a shorter life expectancy but it is quite obvious that the hospital had nothing to do with it. This article was absolutely race baiting.
Is that kind of like the gun violence and crime rate in inner cities? It’s maybe because they are poor? Or is that situation because they are black but their life expectancy is about wealth? You guys have to make up your mind and stop picking and choosing to fit your narrative.

Hint: Maybe the gun violence and crime rates and life expectancy is all about economics. I think I heard that before. Do you remember the poster who has made that point maybe 20 times?

Is that kind of like the gun violence and crime rate in inner cities? It’s maybe because they are poor? Or is that situation because they are black but their life expectancy is about wealth? You guys have to make up your mind and stop picking and choosing to fit your narrative.

Hint: Maybe the gun violence and crime rates and life expectancy is all about economics. I think I heard that before. Do you remember the poster who has made that point maybe 20 times?

Poor life choices, mass abortions, black on black crime through the roof.

Good life choices, cutting back on killing unborn babies and other members of the community would greatly improve quality of life.

Poor life choices, mass abortions, black on black crime through the roof.

Good life choices, cutting back on killing unborn babies and other members of the community would greatly improve quality of life.
When it is crime, it is because they are black. When it is life expectancy, it is because they are poor. Got it. I bet even the Proud Boys rejected you.

When it is crime, it is because they are black. When it is life expectancy, it is because they are poor. Got it. I bet even the Proud Boys rejected you.

Life expectancy tends to shorten when half of the black race is not allowed to be born.
Guess that convenient fact escaped you,HUH?

Most poor people are not criminals. Some rich people are criminals.

The municipal income taxes that the City of Cleveland collects on the suburban commuter employees exceeds all the property taxes they collect from their residents. The Clinic's presence finances so much of what happens in the city that it would die if the hospital moved.

And a symptom of a profound cultural problem that cannot be fixed by tossing cash around.

You know what I would do then? I'd move.

You know what I would do then? I'd move.
Those that can do/have. That’s sort of how we got here. You end up with an area of concentrated, generational poverty that then amplifies all of these issues. I’m not saying I have a great answer for that problem, but saying “just move” isn’t it.

The municipal income taxes that the City of Cleveland collects on the suburban commuter employees exceeds all the property taxes they collect from their residents. The Clinic's presence finances so much of what happens in the city that it would die if the hospital moved.
Are you purposefully comparing income and property taxes are was that a typo?

Also, the Clinic moving isn’t even a realistic scenario. I suspect you realize but were just making a hypothetical point.

Those that can do/have. That’s sort of how we got here. You end up with an area of concentrated, generational poverty that then amplifies all of these issues. I’m not saying I have a great answer for that problem, but saying “just move” isn’t it.
I agree. There are no answers IMO.

You’d rather he not point out this disparity?

You’d rather he not point out this disparity?
I'm just not sure what the point of this article is. Yes, there's huge disparities in this country. Is that the Clinic's fault? What's the solution? Would the neighborhood be better off if the Clinic wasn't there? Is the Clinic a net positive or negative for the neighborhood?

The writer did not "point out" any disparity. He wrote about something that was already common knowledge.
To be fair, it's common knowledge to those of us who live in Cleveland, but probably not for those who aren't from here. This article was for a national audience because the debate was at the Clinic, which is a nationally known healthcare provider "brand" than many people not from here will recognize by name.