Civil War - the movie

The movie might make for good theatre but the premise Americans en masse revolting not happening.
I think this is correct right now.

Civil wars happen when political solutions run out and when certain things happen.

Imagine something like a major political party rigging elections in their favor, or where an established federal administrative state undermines a sitting president and also works to limit and censor speech, and even goes as far as forming a de facto Orwellian Ministry of truth. Imagine a party proposing a Supreme Court packing because they want to permanently control it. Also imagine where one party uses the parts of the justice system they control to investigate, charge, prosecute, and jail their political opponents.

If things like that ever happened and they became permanent aspects of how the federal govt relates to its people, and political corrections were exhausted, that's when the possibility of civil war and a revolution against tyranny to sustain natural rights might erupt.

As spoiled and distracted as Americans are, I think there is a horde that would rise up against those who would grab power at the expense of their rights.

If people took sides based on political affiliation or doctrine in my neighborhood no one would be left standing. My guess we have about a 40/40 split with 20% not giving a damn and will be collateral damage.😉

I live in rural America very few small town/ country boys hunt anymore. When it comes to guns the city boys seem to have quite a few.

But like I posted it is one thing to own a gun and fire it at a target totally another thing to shoot it at a person. As far as this movie goes bunch of hog wash. Americans are too preoccupied with their cell phones to go to actual war, interruput their tik tok time.
I grew up and lived in a city most of my life … moved to the country 5 or so years ago … I hear at least 10 times as many gun shots now than when I lived in the city … I would say there say the country boys around me own quite a few guns.

I bet that was conventional wisdom in 1860 too.
By 1860 the political solutions had been almost entirely exhausted. Many people in the north sensed what was coming, but hoped it wouldn't materialize. Southerners were also of two minds. There were those that were done with political solutions and ready to get on with it and those who felt put upon by the north, but still didn't want to leave the union.

There were some last-ditch peace conferences attempted, but to the South, Lincoln's election took away several key things they wanted and powerful northerners felt the South should shut up and fall back into line. Lincoln saw the war coming and maneuvered carefully to not provoke the South or give them a justified reason to retaliate. He wanted to make sure the South fired the first shot, so that they would be responsible (in his view, in an almost legal sense) for the misery that followed.

Once southern states began to secede, and, certainly, once Ft Sumpter was fired on, both north and south were galvanized into their sides in the war.

Imagine something like a major political party rigging elections in their favor, or where an established federal administrative state undermines a sitting president and also works to limit and censor speech, and even goes as far as forming a de facto Orwellian Ministry of truth.
1712773689585.png

It’s a movie. Movies #1 goal is to entertain not to educate. Entertainment makes $$$$. Will it be close to the truth, possibly/perhaps but will it be historically correct? I doubt if any college will use it as must read/see material regarding the history of the Civil War.

It’s a movie. Movies #1 goal is to entertain not to educate. Entertainment makes $$$$. Will it be close to the truth, possibly/perhaps but will it be historically correct? I doubt if any college will use it as must read/see material regarding the history of the Civil War.

Considering it's a work of fiction in which a number of states revolt against a 3rd term fascist dictator, no.

I agree. Am I correct in that this movie projects California and Texas as allies? I would be interested in seeing how the movies explains such an alliance. If they explain it.

Considering it's a work of fiction in which a number of states revolt against a 3rd term fascist dictator, no.
I think I will see this movie. I want to see how they explain certain alliances and how a President received a third term.

It’s a movie. Movies #1 goal is to entertain not to educate. Entertainment makes $$$$.
It's about a hypothetical American civil war in the present/near future - not the historical civil war. But some posters are making parallel references, which is why the actual civil war is coming up.

Movies used to be about entertainment and making money. In recent years they have been largely about pushing concepts, ideologies, and themes that me and many others despise. They got into the indoctrination business too. They have a right to be in that business, but they have alienated millions of people and a chunk of their potential market share - and that's a costly business to be in.

Seems to me they would want to get as many eyes on their product as possible by not forcing trash and offensive stuff on people while creating stuff with the broadest appeal, but, evidently, I don't understand their brilliant strategy. Lol

I agree. Am I correct in that this movie projects California and Texas as allies? I would be interested in seeing how the movies explains such an alliance. If they explain it.

The world is purple. Stop thinking in binary red & blue.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
I'm looking forward to this movie. I had a tough time starting to watch "For All Mankind" because they tried to rewrite history but when I did start watching it, I loved the storytelling and what could have been. They tried to stay in the middle of the road politically and didn't try to say one side bad and one side good. Hoping this movie does the same.

There are some elements from both sides of the political spectrum that are downright nasty. It should be easy to target both sides or ignore both completely.

It's fiction.. Don't think in election night red & blue.
Good point.

I prefer depictions of actual historical events, but TV and movie creators have to muck with it. And I get it - to increase entertainment value, create drama, and tell an interesting story in a limited time period, a certain amount of artistic license and editing must occur.

But I've seen stuff that was way out beyond any sensible boundaries.

When that happens, my wife and I have this thing where we roll our eyes, sigh, and say, "artists". Lol

It's about a hypothetical American civil war in the present/near future - not the historical civil war. But some posters are making parallel references, which is why the actual civil war is coming up.

Movies used to be about entertainment and making money. In recent years they have been largely about pushing concepts, ideologies, and themes that me and many others despise. They got into the indoctrination business too. They have a right to be in that business, but they have alienated millions of people and a chunk of their potential market share - and that's a costly business to be in.

Seems to me they would want to get as many eyes on their product as possible by not forcing trash and offensive stuff on people while creating stuff with the broadest appeal, but, evidently, I don't understand their brilliant strategy. Lol

Good grief, living in a state of constant fear.

Not counting kids movies (Teen Titans, Sonic, The Invincible's, etc), I haven’t been to a movie theater in 8 or 9 years and probably 3 times in the last 20 years. Maybe I’m missing out on this “Indoctrination Business”.

Not counting kids movies (Teen Titans, Sonic, The Invincible's, etc), I haven’t been to a movie theater in 8 or 9 years and probably 3 times in the last 20 years. Maybe I’m missing out on this “Indoctrination Business”.
If people are pushing concepts that you agree with or will tolerate, you won't perceive it as indoctrination. It's more like, sharing. Lol

It's not fear, it's offense derived observation where what you hold dear is mocked, ridiculed, perverted, and spat on.

But maybe you would have to be able to walk in someone else's shoes that has a different worldview to see it.

I find it intriguing that I experience something that is offensive to me and I naturally criticize it and drastically limit my exposure to it, but there is an impulse to call that "fear". The reasons people would react that way would make for an interesting study because I find that odd.

Last edited:
If people are pushing concepts that you agree with or will tolerate, you won't perceive it as indoctrination.

It's not fear, it's observation. But maybe you would have to be able to walk in someone else's shoes that has a different worldview to see it.

Those are possibilities.

Another possibility is you are unable to see or accept change. A lot of people thought the automobile was a crazy idea, that one will alway need a good horse. That Classic Timex watch is neat but I haven’t worn a watch in 15+ years since I have the time on my phone.

You’re trying to tell me someone/group is attempting to change my opinion/in-doctorate me by producing a movie hoping I will pay to go see & watch it. One heck of a way of pushing one’s narrative.

Those are possibilities.

Another possibility is you are unable to see or accept change. A lot of people thought the automobile was a crazy idea, that one will alway need a good horse. That Classic Timex watch is neat but I haven’t worn a watch in 15+ years since I have the time on my phone.

You’re trying to tell me someone/group is attempting to change my opinion/in-doctorate me by producing a movie hoping I will pay to go see & watch it. One heck of a way of pushing one’s narrative.
Well, I see the problem. First, my core values don't change. Since they are ageless and work every time I apply them, I wouldnt see changing them as progress.

Second, that's not what I'm trying to tell you. I'm trying to tell you that this particular industry hates everything I hold dear, so I hate it back. Lol. I'm not telling you to hate it or have any particular reaction. But your reaction to my well-founded feelings toward this industry because of how it has spit on me for decades is that I'm afraid, opposed to progress, and that I'm imposing something on you. And that is a very queer reaction. :)

Well, I see the problem. First, my core values don't change. Since they are ageless and work every time I apply them, I wouldnt see changing them as progress.

Second, that's not what I'm trying to tell you. I'm trying to tell you that this particular industry hates everything I hold dear, so I hate it back. Lol. I'm not telling you to hate it or have any particular reaction. But your reaction to my well-founded feelings toward this industry because of how it has spit on me for decades is that I'm afraid, opposed to progress, and that I'm imposing something on you. And that is a very queer reaction. :)

I really shouldn’t ask but I have about 15 minutes - just what has this industry ( I assume you are referring to the movie/Hollywood) done to you and your kind?
Do you have a particular movie as an example and what it has done to you?

I really shouldn’t ask but I have about 15 minutes - just what has this industry ( I assume you are referring to the movie/Hollywood) done to you and your kind?
Do you have a particular movie as an example and what it has done to you?
That will take longer than 15. Maybe tomorrow.

But, in general, it's not hard to understand. If you know an evangelical Christian conservative husband, father, and grandfather, professional with a business - that clique has certain core values, priorities, and interests. Those are largely ignored by that industry - unless they are being mocked, ridiculed, perverted, misrepresented, etc.

If we go to the theater tonight and just watch the previews, I can promise you what I'm talking about would be obvious - if you understand my core values.

I can talk easier about the movies I have loved over the years. I haven't been offended by a movie we bought tickets for in decades because we have trusted resources now days that allow us to filter out the crap so we don't have to pay to get our sensibilities insulted.

I grew up and lived in a city most of my life … moved to the country 5 or so years ago … I hear at least 10 times as many gun shots now than when I lived in the city … I would say there say the country boys around me own quite a few guns.

Holy crap, joe. You got one right.

I hear gun shots around my home constantly. Lots of them. Yet I rarely lock the house during the day or take keys out of the vehicles.

An armed society is a polite society.

If things like that ever happened and they became permanent aspects of how the federal govt relates to its people, and political corrections were exhausted, that's when the possibility of civil war and a revolution against tyranny to sustain natural rights might erupt.

The only scenario you missed is the most likely, an attempt to confiscate our personal armaments.

They can't really control us until they disarm us, and where I come from, thems fightin' words. lol

Living in a constant state of naivete apparently