Chronicles of Climate Change And The Green New Deal

Omega

China’s CO2 emissions hit record in first quarter, report says Increase driven by post-COVID economic rebound, stimulus and drought.

Greta is not happy

angry-Greta.jpg

But never fear, Team Biden will double down on banning via regulation the use of carbon based fuels in America to save Gaia !

Thoughts please .

China’s CO2 emissions hit record in first quarter, report says Increase driven by post-COVID economic rebound, stimulus and drought.

Greta is not happy

View attachment 41676

But never fear, Team Biden will double down on banning via regulation the use of carbon based fuels in America to save Gaia !

Thoughts please .
well, they are a developing nation.... they need all the breaks they can get.....

Oklo’s Next Two Nuclear Power Plants Planned for Southern Ohio​

Clean and green in terms of carbon and heaven knows Southern Ohio needs the jobs. Just wonder how soon it will be before the enviro-lawyers and Nimbys show up?

Climate envoy Kerry: No rolling back clean energy transition​

Is Kerry correct in saying that the green new deal is here to stay? Like ObamaCare, has Team Biden's legislation and regulation over the last 28 months created a direction for the nation that is near impossible to reverse?

Greta is not happy

View attachment 41676

Thoughts please .
But China deserves a huge carbon offset because they're manufacturing all those wonderful green alternative energy sources to sell to the US & Europe! I mean fair is fair - by embracing the manufacture of green energy products China gets to keep the jobs, the profits and best of all can use cheap, reliable & abundant coal to generate all the energy it wants.

Climate envoy Kerry: No rolling back clean energy transition​

Is Kerry correct in saying that the green new deal is here to stay? Like ObamaCare, has Team Biden's legislation and regulation over the last 28 months created a direction for the nation that is near impossible to reverse?
We shouldn't be trying to roll it back. We should be trying to integrate it into our current lifestyles smartly and efficiently.

Does wind power make sense in the plains? Absolutely.

Does Solar make sense in the Southwest? Absolutely.

Do electric vehicles make sense for urbanites? Absolutely.

Do all of these make sense for everyone in every scenario? Absolutely not.

But China deserves a huge carbon offset because they're manufacturing all those wonderful green alternative energy sources to sell to the US & Europe! I mean fair is fair - by embracing the manufacture of green energy products China gets to keep the jobs, the profits and best of all can use cheap, reliable & abundant coal to generate all the energy it wants.
China produces 2.5X more Solar power than the US does and we are the #2 in the world.

Clearly China is embracing clean energy as well. China also has an abundant supply of coal so it makes sense for them to use it as an energy source. Just as it makes sense for us to use NG.

We shouldn't be trying to roll it back. We should be trying to integrate it into our current lifestyles smartly and efficiently.

Does wind power make sense in the plains? Absolutely.

Does Solar make sense in the Southwest? Absolutely.

Do electric vehicles make sense for urbanites? Absolutely.

Do all of these make sense for everyone in every scenario? Absolutely not.
Very reasonable position.

I am a climate crisis denier, but I also believe that a transition to green energy will improve the environment and unleash economic prosperity.

I am also of the belief that the transition is best handled by free enterprise innovation and allocating capital instead of a forced transition through government edict.

China produces 2.5X more Solar power than the US does and we are the #2 in the world.

Clearly China is embracing clean energy as well. China also has an abundant supply of coal so it makes sense for them to use it as an energy source. Just as it makes sense for us to use NG.
IMO the refusal by the Biden administration to embrace natural gas is an impeachable offense.

Very reasonable position.

I am a climate crisis denier, but I also believe that a transition to green energy will improve the environment and unleash economic prosperity.

I am also of the belief that the transition is best handled by free enterprise innovation and allocating capital instead of a forced transition through government edict.
Government is really good at subsidizing risk.
Transitioning to Green Energy is risky. There has been and will be failures along the way. Removing some of the risk, especially the risk that private investors don't have the stomach for, is a good investment by taxpayers.

We do this in all kinds of industries to promote innovation.

IMO the refusal by the Biden administration to embrace natural gas is an impeachable offense.
What are you talking about?

NG is our largest source of electricity production. The amount of electricity produced from NG has gone up under Biden.

The percentage of electricity produced by gas has gone down but only because Solar and Wind are growing faster.

Government is really good at subsidizing risk.
Transitioning to Green Energy is risky. There has been and will be failures along the way. Removing some of the risk, especially the risk that private investors don't have the stomach for, is a good investment by taxpayers.

We do this in all kinds of industries to promote innovation.
I know the reality is that government and business have had a symbiotic relationship since the Great Depression. There are no truly free markets in that as you say, government mitigates risk by back stopping business through protective regulation and tax policy. Yet government edict as the blueprint stifles the very thing that is needed to achieve the goal: innovation.

I would rather see the government form a green energy Manhattan Project to foster innovation and concentrate capital to achieve the end goal. Government can make their money back through licensing workable technology developed through research rather than bureaucratic ideology.

I know the reality is that government and business have had a symbiotic relationship since the Great Depression. There are no truly free markets in that as you say, government mitigates risk by back stopping business through protective regulation and tax policy. Yet government edict as the blueprint stifles the very thing that is needed to achieve the goal: innovation.

I would rather see the government form a green energy Manhattan Project to foster innovation and concentrate capital to achieve the end goal. Government can make their money back through licensing workable technology developed through research rather than bureaucratic ideology.
I didn't say what we do is perfect but it has worked in the past. That being said, I'm always open to finding better ways.

What are you talking about?

NG is our largest source of electricity production. The amount of electricity produced from NG has gone up under Biden.

The percentage of electricity produced by gas has gone down but only because Solar and Wind are growing faster.
The Biden administration is openly hostile to NG. That attitude permeates through the industry and investment community. Wind & Solar are growing because they're favored by the Biden administration over any carbon sourced energy including NG. I do not believe that if you stripped wind & solar of their government subsidies like that 30% tax credit for solar and $4000 tax credit for wind, they could compete with NG for heating a home and/or providing electricity.

The Biden administration is openly hostile to NG. That attitude permeates through the industry and investment community. Wind & Solar are growing because they're favored by the Biden administration over any carbon sourced energy including NG. I do not believe that if you stripped wind & solar of their government subsidies like that 30% tax credit for solar and $4000 tax credit for wind, they could compete with NG for heating a home and/or providing electricity.
None of that suggest that Biden's administration hasn't embraced NG.

Our NG use for electricity production is up under Biden. It really isn't a debatable fact.

I'll play devils advocate here. Why do we need alternate energy sources? I'm all for continuous improvement but starting a Manhattan alternative energy protect requires us to be in some sort of crisis with our current energy sources. IMO Hydro, nuclear, oil, NG and yes even coal can meet all our energy needs economically and cheaply for the foreseeable future.

Back when it was believed that "peak oil" was real it made sense to try to move to alternative energy sources as we appeared to be close to running out of this source. But "peak oil" is no longer considered a threat and along with coal & NG we have enough fossil fuels to last us for another century or more.

With peak oil off the table they now use "climate change" as an excuse to move away from carbon energy sources to alternative ones. But again, anyone versed in science can see that the danger of Global Warming is being grossly exaggerated. Bottom line is that climate change is not a rational reason to move away from carbon based energy sources.

So that leaves conventional environmental concerns and the desire for even cheaper & more effective energy sources. The environmental damage of extracting and using carbon based energy sources has been reduced and there doesn't seem to be any advantage to alternatives here. Though I guess innovation could provide even cleaner fossil or alternative energy sources.

So the real reason to explore alternative energy sources is to see if they can offer cheaper and more effective energy. And I'm all for this. Innovate away. But let's not create artificial incentives to switch either through the demonization of fossil fuels or by over subsidizing alternative sources.

The fact that alternative energy sources are NOT carbon based is not enough reason to switch over to them.

Last edited:
None of that suggest that Biden's administration hasn't embraced NG.

Our NG use for electricity production is up under Biden. It really isn't a debatable fact.
In the short term you're right. This is due to the sustained efforts of the oil and NG industry that has spent the last 25 years moving in this direction. And it's been aided by the Bush & Trump administrations who both made it easier to exploit NG. Biden is not a dictator. He can't just come in and reverse the NG momentum on a dime.

But his administrations hostility to NG and embrace of a Green New Deal will start to hurt the NG industry. My guess is that if Biden is elected you will see a very different picture of NG electricity production in his 2nd term.

The reason the Biden administration has to hamstring NG is that alternative energy sources can't hope to compete with NG. It is simply the best overall energy source available to us.

I'll play devils advocate here. Why do we need alternate energy sources? I'm all for continuous improvement but starting a Manhattan alternative energy protect requires us to be in some sort of crisis with our current energy sources. IMO Hydro, nuclear, oil, NG and yes even coal can meet all our energy needs economically and cheaply for the foreseeable future.
The Covid lockdowns clearly demonstrated how much pollutants we put into the atmosphere every day. Finding better ways to maintain and/or improve our lifestyles with clean energy seems like a reasonable goal to me.
Back when it was believed that "peak oil" was real it made sense to try to move to alternative energy sources as we appeared to be close to running out of this source. But "peak oil" is no longer considered a threat and along with coal & NG we have enough fossil fuels to last us for another century or more.
Great! Let's double or triple that time by utilizing other energy sources where it makes sense.
With peak oil off the table they now use "climate change" as an excuse to move away from carbon energy sources to alternative ones. But again, anyone versed in science can see that the danger of Global Warming is being grossly exaggerated. Bottom line is that climate change is not a rational reason to move away from carbon based energy sources.
But clean air is a rational reason.
So that leaves conventional environmental concerns and the desire for even cheaper & more effective energy sources. The environmental damage of extracting and using of carbon based energy sources has been reduced and there doesn't seem to be any advantage to alternatives here. Though I guess innovation could provide even cleaner fossil or alternative energy sources.
Wind power is far cleaner in every aspect.
So the real reason to explore alternative energy sources is to see if they can offer cheaper and more effective energy. And I'm all for this. Innovate away. But let's not create artificial incentives to switch either through the demonization of fossil fuels or by over subsidizing alternative sources.
Why not subsidize it? We subsidize all sorts of innovations.
The fact that alternative energy sources are NOT carbon based is not enough reason to switch over to them.
Having cleaner air and water certainly is a reason though.

In the short term you're right. This is due to the sustained efforts of the oil and NG industry that has spent the last 25 years moving in this direction. And it's been aided by the Bush & Trump administrations who both made it easier to exploit NG. Biden is not a dictator. He can't just come in and reverse the NG momentum on a dime.

But his administrations hostility to NG and embrace of a Green New Deal will start to hurt the NG industry. My guess is that if Biden is elected you will see a very different picture of NG electricity production in his 2nd term.

The reason the Biden administration has to hamstring NG is that alternative energy sources can't hope to compete with NG. It is simply the best overall energy source available to us.
All the data shows NG production has increased every year regardless of who is in office. But you want to throw out the data and go with your gut feeling?

I thought scientist used data and not emotions?

All the data shows NG production has increased every year regardless of who is in office. But you want to throw out the data and go with your gut feeling?

I thought scientist used data and not emotions?
One more time Indiandad:

* NG is superior to every other form of energy production

* The United States has enormous reserves of NG

* Preceding administrations, both democrat & republican, have supported expanding the use & production of NG

This has resulted in NG being like a giant coal barge moving in one direction. It's very hard to stop let alone reverse the barge once it gets going. The gains you see today with NG are the result of the previous 25 years. It will take time for the Biden administration to slow this behemoth down and then reverse it.

Ask your self this question: did the Clinton administration demonize NG? No. Did the Bush administration? No. Did the Obama administration? No. Did the Trump administration? No. But the Biden administration has done something that none of the previous four administrations have done - attack NG and either threaten to or actually enact regulations to damage this product. Give him another four years and I believe the Biden administration will reverse the steady gains of NG as a supplier of heat & electricity.

The Covid lockdowns clearly demonstrated how much pollutants we put into the atmosphere every day. Finding better ways to maintain and/or improve our lifestyles with clean energy seems like a reasonable goal to me. Is "clean energy" really clean? That is considering the entire production line is "clean" energy like solar & wind actually cleaner then the energy produced from fossil fuels? I think the answer is no. But I agree with you 100% that we should continue to strive to reduce the pollutants from our energy production through R&D. But that must include reducing the pollution caused by fossil fuels as well as alternatives. Currently the only truly "clean" energy production that can meet our current electricity demand is the stuff of science fiction.
Great! Let's double or triple that time by utilizing other energy sources where it makes sense. The operative thing here is "where it makes sense".

But clean air is a rational reason. I agree. But that must include efforts to make the burning of fossil fuels cleaner. And for the record, CO2 is not an air polutant in the classical sense.

Wind power is far cleaner in every aspect. But is wind power "cleaner" when you factor in the production of the wind turbines? But even if it is, wind power can't hope to meet our energy demands. Sure, keep researching ways to improve the efficiency of wind turbines & battery storage capacity but for now wind is not a viable replacement for fossil fuels. It's not even a very effective compliment.
Why not subsidize it? We subsidize all sorts of innovations. Subsidies are best reserved for enhancing the speed of innovation when we face a real energy crisis. We do not face an energy crisis as fossil fuels, particularly NG, can meet our demands now and in the future.

Having cleaner air and water certainly is a reason though. Both are laudable goals and should be pursued but not at the expense of having cheap, reliable and effective energy production. This is the lifeblood of modern civilization.

Oklo’s Next Two Nuclear Power Plants Planned for Southern Ohio​

Clean and green in terms of carbon and heaven knows Southern Ohio needs the jobs. Just wonder how soon it will be before the enviro-lawyers and Nimbys show up?
Plus they are expendable:cool:

John Kerry says farmers need to stop growing food in order to achieve “net zero” climate goals​

The article is an anti Biden opinion hit piece. Only Fox offers a collaborative story. Crickets from the rest of the media.

So is what Kerry said an actual policy goal of Team Biden or just rhetorical red meat to stir their Climate Crisis supporters?

John Kerry says farmers need to stop growing food in order to achieve “net zero” climate goals​

The article is an anti Biden opinion hit piece. Only Fox offers a collaborative story. Crickets from the rest of the media.

So is what Kerry said an actual policy goal of Team Biden or just rhetorical red meat to stir their Climate Crisis supporters?
I suspect this is exactly what the Biden administrations environmental/climate change team wants but they're smart enough to maintain an air of plausible deniability if there is a backlash. You know like all the stuff around gas stoves. The fact remains though that the Biden administration is hostile to the use of fossil fuels and this hostility will increasingly morph into open action against FF energy production if Biden is reelected in 2024.

Here' an interesting op ed from the WSJ. It's behind a pay wall but the key conclusions are:

Texas last summer narrowly averted a power outage by leaning on businesses to curtail operations. The state has since added enough solar to power about 200,000 homes. But demand has grown by even more, and the sun doesn’t shine at night. NERC forecasts a 19% probability of a grid emergency at 8 p.m. Do Texans feel lucky?

One new variable this summer is the Environmental Protection Agency’s recently finalized Good Neighbor Plan, which requires fossil-fuel power plants in 22 states to reduce NOx emissions. NERC predicts power plants will comply by limiting hours of operation but warns they may need regulatory waivers in the event of a power crunch.

The EPA claimed the rule wouldn’t jeopardize grid reliability, but then why would power plants need waivers to prevent blackouts? The Fifth Circuit of Court of Appeals this month stayed the rule in Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi. But it continues to be a wild card in determining whether the lights stay on in the Midwest and West.
Another growing concern is glitchy solar plant inverters, which convert DC to AC power. These have caused solar plants in California and Texas to experience concurrent outages when there has been a problem somewhere else on the grid. Solar plants have “exhibited systemic performance issues,” NERC recently warned. . . .

One state that hasn’t learned from California’s green-energy folly is New York. A new state regulation will force 627 megawatts of gas and oil “peaker” plants—which can rapidly ramp up to provide power in a pinch—to shut down this year. That’s enough to power 470,000 homes. This year’s state budget requires the New York Power Authority to retire all peaker plants by 2030. New York plans to compensate by building more offshore wind farms, but they face permitting challenges and don’t provide reliable power.

The NERC report is an alarm about the Biden Administration and states moving full-speed ahead on the green-energy transition. Maybe when the power does go out, they will stop hitting snooze.