China: Competitor or Adversary 🤔 ??

They are both.

They will continue to take advantage of America through the greed of our elected officials until we demand that the Elite quit selling out the rest of us. We are being milked - or I guess bled is better, as it's become actually economically destructive to the middle class through Biden's inflation reboot.

Is China's latest provocation a new spy base in Cuba? Here's why that would concern US​

Precursor to another event like October 1962?

Or is it America's own fault for trying to isolate Cuba over the last 60 years?
No a spy "base" vs nukes is not the same. The USSR used Cuba as a "listening" post for decades. I would like to think we have "spy" bases in South Korea, Japan, Taiwan.

I would have thought after the death of Fidel the USA and Cuba would have closer relations.

Is China's latest provocation a new spy base in Cuba? Here's why that would concern US​

The fact that we took up business with communist China like the phony bastards our "elite" are, while continuing to merely isolate Cuba and failing to overthrow the commies there, says we deserve this.

Dementia Joe let Xi's balloon traverse the US and send back its data to China. He only shot it down after it was finished, and then afterward he shot down kids' science fair projects to show the idiot news-consumers he was serious. He will let Xi build this, and maybe his DoJ will even pay Xi for info on MAGA-land (with no trail) if they get it done in time.

Last edited:
No a spy "base" vs nukes is not the same. The USSR used Cuba as a "listening" post for decades. I would like to think we have "spy" bases in South Korea, Japan, Taiwan.

I would have thought after the death of Fidel the USA and Cuba would have closer relations.
Probably would have taken a Harvard neo-Marxist getting a soft denunciation of communism out of them given the timing, and that wasn't going to come from a committed soft communist like Obummer

Maybe a good place to start standing up for what we know is right ?

"Sens. Marco Rubio and Jeff Merkley, as well as Reps. Chris Smith and Jim McGovern, four leading champions of human rights in Congress, sent a letter to Blinken this week urging him to bar Lee from entering the United States to attend the summit.

“Inviting a sanctioned human rights abuser is an affront to all those who have been persecuted by the Chinese Communist Party and the People’s Republic of China and its proxies in Hong Kong, including American citizens … as well as prominent Hong Kong leaders,” the lawmakers wrote.

In a previous role as Hong Kong’s secretary of security, Lee worked with the Chinese Communist Party to authorize and launch a violent crackdown against Hong Kong pro-democracy protesters in 2019. "

China is both on any given day.

China is an economic and military power that rivals our own status. This creates a unique challenge for us because any type of conflict creates a no win situation.

Sixty years of failure with no end in sight.

Sixty years of failure with no end in sight.
Failure?

What was the goal that was failed?

Cuba has been isolated and crushed economically. Their Communist Regime has been a non factor in the world since the beginning. Aside from overthrowing the Regime it has been an astounding success.

Failure?

Cuba has been isolated and crushed economically. Their Communist Regime has been a non factor in the world since the beginning. Aside from overthrowing the Regime it has been an astounding success.

The stated purpose of the embargo was to end the Castro regime and install democracy. By any standard that has been a complete total and spectacular failure.

It’s a failure that’s left the Cuban people in utter poverty. While triggering mass migrations that have significantly burdened neighboring countries.

Oh and it’s helped shore up and entrench the CCP over the years. Always giving the regime something to blame its failures on.

I can’t see how anyone that isn’t a sanctions hawk could look at Cuba and think “ success”.

There are numerous ways to deal with this. The best and quietest is probably electronically to block their intelligence gathering attempts.

The stated purpose of the embargo was to end the Castro regime and install democracy. By any standard that has been a complete total and spectacular failure.

It’s a failure that’s left the Cuban people in utter poverty. While triggering mass migrations that have significantly burdened neighboring countries.

Oh and it’s helped shore up and entrench the CCP over the years. Always giving the regime something to blame its failures on.

Long term sanctions don’t work.
I would agree that sanctions don't work as a regime change tool. They do however work in making that regime starved for cash which limits their external (as well as internal) capabilities.

Sanctions also make regime change more difficult IMO because they limit the resources of the population to overthrow the regime. So that leaves only a couple of options. Neither is really a good one.

The question is are we (the West) better off with an economically isolated communist country that can't really threaten other Democracies or is it better to remove that regime militarily?

Cuba's Communist regime isn't a bother to anyone except Cuban citizens. In that regard our policies of the last 60 years have been successful.

I would agree that sanctions don't work as a regime change tool. They do however work in making that regime starved for cash which limits their external (as well as internal) capabilities.

Sanctions also make regime change more difficult IMO because they limit the resources of the population to overthrow the regime. So that leaves only a couple of options. Neither is really a good one.

The question is are we (the West) better off with an economically isolated communist country that can't really threaten other Democracies or is it better to remove that regime militarily?

Cuba's Communist regime isn't a bother to anyone except Cuban citizens. In that regard our policies of the last 60 years have been successful.

They likely wouldn’t exist for long if we lifted the sanctions. No more excuses time to deliver for the people or else. We could also carrot them to doing what we prefer.

I view sanctions of this duration as a moral and ethical failure. We’ve left generations in utter poverty and that doesn’t sit well with me.

They likely wouldn’t exist for long if we lifted the sanctions. No more excuses time to deliver for the people or else. We could also carrot them to doing what we prefer.

I view sanctions of this duration as a moral and ethical failure. We’ve left generations in utter poverty and that doesn’t sit well with me.
The flip side is they prosper like China and then become a minor regional threat.

No they aren't.

China isn't anywhere close to a near peer in either a

Failure?

True that, but Cuba's communist leaders have been used as pawns
Failure?

True that. The Communist regime in Cuba in itself represents no threat to the US, yet its presence offers to our adversaries a potential springboard to the American homeland. Opportunity cost if you will.

True that, but Cuba's communist leaders have been used as pawns

True that. The Communist regime in Cuba in itself represents no threat to the US, yet its presence offers to our adversaries a potential springboard to the American homeland. Opportunity cost if you will.
There's only one way to get rid of a communist regime.

Are you willing to invade?

IMO Cuba isn't worth it.

They likely wouldn’t exist for long if we lifted the sanctions.
How do you figure that?
There are no historical examples of Communist Regimes being removed and the country Democratized by encouraging trade with them. In fact there is an example of encouraging trade strengthening a Communist Regime.
No more excuses time to deliver for the people or else. We could also carrot them to doing what we prefer.
What if those people don't want a change? We've tried that in the ME. It didn't work so well. Some people prefer totalitarianism in their leadership.
We are under no obligation to share our wealth with every country and peoples. The sanctions are a carrot and a stick. Cuba and others have decided the stick is better than the carrot.

Reactions: y2h
How do you figure that?
There are no historical examples of Communist Regimes being removed and the country Democratized by encouraging trade with them. In fact there is an example of encouraging trade strengthening a Communist Regime.

What if those people don't want a change? We've tried that in the ME. It didn't work so well. Some people prefer totalitarianism in their leadership.

We are under no obligation to share our wealth with every country and peoples. The sanctions are a carrot and a stick. Cuba and others have decided the stick is better than the carrot.

It certainly has a better chance of it than what we’ve tried for sixty years.

If they want that type of government what problem is it of ours? So long as they don’t behave as a threat to us I don’t care what type of government a country has.

We don’t have an obligation to share our wealth. We do have an obligation to not stand in the way of others prosperity unless threatened.

The flip side is they prosper like China and then become a minor regional threat.

They don’t have the resources to prosper like China. They still drive 1955 Packards on a daily basis in Cuba. The idea they are going to up and turn into China is pretty far fetched.

Cuba hasn’t been a real threat to us since the sixties. The idea that they will become one seems very remote.

There are numerous ways to deal with this. The best and quietest is probably electronically to block their intelligence gathering attempts.
Probably the smartest post on this topic. I would add stop them from stealing anything we produce in general. They have close to 350,000 people on student visa's alone in our country most of military age imbedded in our colleges, live right on top of our military bases and military institutions, access to any libraries that may show any type of blueprints they can steal and who knows who they have paid off in the financial institutions government officials and now working with Brazil and the Mexican drug cartels on and on and nobody seems to care. I won't even mention how much land they are gathering up along with Bill Gates.

Failure?

I remember when the same was true of the Chi-Comms, until the original neocon GHWBush moved to China with Babs and his bicycle and started cultivating the slave labor pool.

Obama made love to Raul Castro in the media when Fidel croaked, to prevent that.

I can’t see how anyone that isn’t a sanctions hawk could look at Cuba and think “ success”.
Nothing like beautiful weather to make poverty tolerable.

That's why Demarxists here attack the energy sector - creating dependent poverty increases their voter base.

Cultivate the underdog notion, and build some rah-rah for battle. I despise these chicken-hawk people.
If China pulls a sneak attack on US bases it won't require a rah-rah for retaliation. It more likely will need to tamp down calls for nuking Bejing and dozens of other cities.

If China pulls a sneak attack on US bases it won't require a rah-rah for retaliation. It more likely will need to tamp down calls for nuking Bejing and dozens of other cities.
They won't. Unless they go all in and nuke us, here at home.

This is just Politico sowing fear.....probably.....

Last edited:
If China launches a pre-emptive strike on US bases it will end very badly for China.

There's a pretty significant precedence for that.
Won't happen, for that reason.

edit: The very last thing that China wants to see is Americans united behind GENUINE righteous indignation. They promote our divisions, by any way possible, as a matter of course.

Last edited: