Central Buckeye Conference (CBC) 2024

Was wondering what happened to the post that said "Trick Meeks"? I've heard some rumblings that some wanted Meeks to go and the reason behind it is quite troubling. I won't go into it on here but maybe his days are numbered at Shawnee.
I don't know if you are fishing for validation of your information but the context of your post is somewhat disturbing.

Wapak went running away from that matchup like a scared Lil ole lady. I guess after losing last yr after being up more than 1 score with 5 to go was too much to handle.
As much as I'd like to see celina keep moving on up they will take a big step back this yr.

I hope last yrs success helped motivate the kids as tradition needs to start some time, and often Times is spurned by a season like they had last yr.

I've seen them improve dramatically over the ĺast 4-6 yrs in their scrimmages vs Coldwater.
To me scheduling ML is a two way street. What does ML get out of scheduling higher other than points? Do they actually need those points in the end? ML can be selective in their upper division opponents.... Their reputation would not be tarnished losing to a higher division school but I am sure would pizz them off.

To me scheduling ML is a two way street. What does ML get out of scheduling higher other than points? Do they actually need those points in the end? ML can be selective in their upper division opponents.... Their reputation would not be tarnished losing to a higher division school but I am sure would pizz them off.
Iron sharpens Iron.

That has been one of the St14ners toughest matchups of the season and a great way to kick off the season and much better than scheduling a patsy. It gets your mind right.

and I do not think you realize the mentality.......ANY loss tarnishes the reputation to a program like MSML.

Iron sharpens Iron.

That has been one of the St14ners toughest matchups of the season and a great way to kick off the season and much better than scheduling a patsy. It gets your mind right.

and I do not think you realize the mentality.......ANY loss tarnishes the reputation to a program like MSML.
Internally, sure. But the rest of the state isn't going to all the sudden think they are a crappy worthless team if they lose to a team multiple divisions higher than them.

Internally, sure. But the rest of the state isn't going to all the sudden think they are a crappy worthless team if they lose to a team multiple divisions higher than them.
It is the pee wee division.
Other than other PeeWee teams, no one cares and for those who care use it to support and confirm their belief's that peewee teams cannot hang with the big boyz.

but anyways.......

any new news for the conference?
Tec get a coach yet?

Iron sharpens Iron.

Agree with your post but the "st14ners" will schedule those that can bring food to the table. They got nothing to lose pizzing in big dog's backyard. They can be as selective as they need; thus a two-way street...if that makes sense.

BTW, iron only sharpens iron when there is a proper angle to the honing...

Scheduling for football is intriguing because everyone has their own way of doing it.

For me personally, the change to 16 teams simplified the process. Lots of flexibility compared to the old days of trying to find a team to help you get in.

So now the question is tiered….

1. Can we be competitive? Winning needs to be possible, doesn’t have to be probable.

2. Can we stay relatively close by? Unless we’re desperate for a game, let’s stay close to an hour drive.

3. Can we get 1/2 AND find a program with some prestige? Love playing historically good programs with good fan bases.

Not to mention you’re doing this ideally 2-3 years in advance. If you’re Marion Local it’s easy from the standpoint of you pretty much know your team is going to be elite. If you’re a team who experiences ups and downs, you may struggle to clock it right.

Marion Local has a hell of a time because Question 1 narrows it down to probably 50 (maybe less) or so teams across the state, many of those not particularly close by.

Cal Preps has St Edward only an 8 point favorite vs Marion Local in a hypothetical 2023 game. Just an incredible thought. Almost a case study in leadership, culture, work ethic, family, etc. It fascinates me.

Scheduling for football is intriguing because everyone has their own way of doing it.

For me personally, the change to 16 teams simplified the process. Lots of flexibility compared to the old days of trying to find a team to help you get in.

So now the question is tiered….

1. Can we be competitive? Winning needs to be possible, doesn’t have to be probable.

2. Can we stay relatively close by? Unless we’re desperate for a game, let’s stay close to an hour drive.

3. Can we get 1/2 AND find a program with some prestige? Love playing historically good programs with good fan bases.

Not to mention you’re doing this ideally 2-3 years in advance. If you’re Marion Local it’s easy from the standpoint of you pretty much know your team is going to be elite. If you’re a team who experiences ups and downs, you may struggle to clock it right.

Marion Local has a hell of a time because Question 1 narrows it down to probably 50 (maybe less) or so teams across the state, many of those not particularly close by.
if i have 3 open weeks, i want:

1 tune-up game against a team we should beat and get the starters a quarter of rest. ideally you win this game 100% of the time.

1 game against a team that you are relatively competitive with (within 2 games or so any given year). ideally you win this game 50-60% of the time.

1 game against a team who is better than you most years and is contending in the region. this team should give you either A. a look at a system you won’t see often or B. a level of size and/or speed that you won’t see often. putting your players in uncomfortable positions can help a lot come playoff time.

all games should be within an hour, and aim to keep 2/3 very local in order to get a good gate!

1 tune-up game against a team we should beat and get the starters a quarter of rest. ideally you win this game 100% of the time.

1 game against a team that you are relatively competitive with (within 2 games or so any given year). ideally you win this game 50-60% of the time.

1 game against a team who is better than you most years and is contending in the region. this team should give you either A. a look at a system you won’t see often or B. a level of size and/or speed that you won’t see often. putting your players in uncomfortable positions can help a lot come playoff time.

all games should be within an hour, and aim to keep 2/3 very local in order to get a good gate!
I like it, now you gotta convince team 1 to go for it!

I like your philosophy with the scheduling but as bcw stated, you gotta convince team 1 to buy in. Scheduling Ponitz gives you nothing other than a weeks' worth of bashing in an 80-0 ball game. There is a flip side, there are several (many) CBC and OHC teams that are potential week 1 100% win opponents...ugh. I think as a whole the CBC/OHC do very well scheduling their OOC. Both of those conferences top tiers need points to seed themselves in the end as there can be a dramatic drop off when they hit divisional play.

If I am looking at scheduling I would plan as there are only eight in the region to advance and that would kill your week 1 game analogy. This gives a bit of wiggle room. But again, who the hell knows what will happen 2-3 years out?

Last edited:
I like your philosophy with the scheduling but as bcw stated, you gotta convince team 1 to buy in. Scheduling Ponitz gives you nothing other than a weeks' worth of bashing in an 80-0 ball game. There is a flip side, there are several (many) CBC and OHC teams that are potential week 1 100% win opponents...ugh. I think as a whole the CBC/OHC do very well scheduling their OOC. Both of those conferences top tiers need points to seed themselves in the end as there can be a dramatic drop off when they hit divisional play.

If I am looking at scheduling I would plan as there are only eight in the region to advance and that would kill your week 1 game analogy. This gives a bit of wiggle room. But again, who the hell knows what will happen 2-3 years out?
all great points. when scheduling you likely have to look at the last 5 years or so to predict how competitive they will be in 2 years. also have to have some basic knowledge. it’s not a perfect science.

as for scheduling a “buy” game, more teams than you think will do it. City League teams are a safe bet. if playing a 3-7 Meadowdale is the worst game you schedule, you should be OK most years.

CBC/OHC does a pretty good job with scheduling. lot of competitive games!

I sympathize with the unique challenges facing the city leagues and God bless the folks that give their life to that mission but other than an occasional situation (Earl White at Thurgood), I just don’t like going down that path. Not saying it’s bad for some programs but it’s tough.

all great points. when scheduling you likely have to look at the last 5 years or so to predict how competitive they will be in 2 years. also have to have some basic knowledge. it’s not a perfect science.

as for scheduling a “buy” game, more teams than you think will do it. City League teams are a safe bet. if playing a 3-7 Meadowdale is the worst game you schedule, you should be OK most years.

CBC/OHC does a pretty good job with scheduling. lot of competitive games!
Agree with your post and I am always on your side when it comes to schedules and what not...you have a knack for that insight. The CBC/OHC can be out to lunch in a five-year outlook. Shawnee seemed to be a more of a miss than hit with Springfield, Troy, Butler and VV. IMO, the CBC is a bit more cyclic than other area conferences. Just looking at the hogs in the CBC, their schedules are not cake walks but will give them a good stance going into week 11. I just don't think the CBC can take a week off and expect to make or even compete in the playoffs under you dynamic. I think your basis works best for the MAC or similar strong (top to bottom) conferences but ...

Side note, the city leagues are a catfish you may not want to hook. Who know what those schools have or could have especially looking at Taft or even Thurgood with the right pieces.

Agree with your post and I am always on your side when it comes to schedules and what not...you have a knack for that insight. The CBC/OHC can be out to lunch in a five-year outlook. Shawnee seemed to be a more of a miss than hit with Springfield, Troy, Butler and VV. IMO, the CBC is a bit more cyclic than other area conferences. Just looking at the hogs in the CBC, their schedules are not cake walks but will give them a good stance going into week 11. I just don't think the CBC can take a week off and expect to make or even compete in the playoffs under you dynamic. I think your basis works best for the MAC or similar strong (top to bottom) conferences but ...

Side note, the city leagues are a catfish you may not want to hook. Who know what those schools have or could have especially looking at Taft or even Thurgood with the right pieces.
what you mention can also be looked at as a positive too. you never know what type of athlete Belmont may roll out, which could help a team like Shawnee out come week 12 and on. Braves probably beat Belmont comfortably every year, but you will still see athletes you usually don’t see at Tecumseh, Ben Logan, etc, which will prepare you to see the likes of Taft or Glenville, at least on a smaller scale.

in my opinion, a perfect schedule for the Braves would consist of:

- Greenon/SE/NE/Greeneview (local game with big gate, whichever will play them depending on how competitive they are, and at this moment it’s Northeastern)
- Tippecanoe, Xenia, Bellbrook, Fairborn, Butler, etc (larger school who will greatly challenge Shawnee, but still competitive with)
- Dayton City team or lower-end SWBL team (guaranteed W, but ideally gives your starters a look at something different than usual, at least for a half)

what you mention can also be looked at as a positive too. you never know what type of athlete Belmont may roll out, which could help a team like Shawnee out come week 12 and on. Braves probably beat Belmont comfortably every year, but you will still see athletes you usually don’t see at Tecumseh, Ben Logan, etc, which will prepare you to see the likes of Taft or Glenville, at least on a smaller scale.

in my opinion, a perfect schedule for the Braves would consist of:

- Greenon/SE/NE/Greeneview (local game with big gate, whichever will play them depending on how competitive they are, and at this moment it’s Northeastern)
- Tippecanoe, Xenia, Bellbrook, Fairborn, Butler, etc (larger school who will greatly challenge Shawnee, but still competitive with)
- Dayton City team or lower-end SWBL team (guaranteed W, but ideally gives your starters a look at something different than usual, at least for a half)
There was a time the Braves played Thurgood and that always gave them a look at athletes. T-M used to be a top dog in the city but I think that went to the wayside when the coach left for Belmont.

I love Belle and Bellbrook this year. I think last year may be better match up but I almost guarantee the Eagles haven't seen what the Chefs bring to the table this year.

Xenia has always been one of those teams that maybe Alder, London, or even Shawnee should look at. They can be cyclic but can give a good measure.

As always, I would love to see CBC/OHC match ups but the CBC higher divisions may not be the best fit.

On a Side note: I drove by Fairborn's new field the other day and noticed on their pressbox that their Skyhawk F looks oddly similar to Fairmont Firebird logo.

There was a time the Braves played Thurgood and that always gave them a look at athletes. T-M used to be a top dog in the city but I think that went to the wayside when the coach left for Belmont.

I love Belle and Bellbrook this year. I think last year may be better match up but I almost guarantee the Eagles haven't seen what the Chefs bring to the table this year.

Xenia has always been one of those teams that maybe Alder, London, or even Shawnee should look at. They can be cyclic but can give a good measure.

As always, I would love to see CBC/OHC match ups but the CBC higher divisions may not be the best fit.

On a Side note: I drove by Fairborn's new field the other day and noticed on their pressbox that their Skyhawk F looks oddly similar to Fairmont Firebird logo.
i live right around the corner from the new Fairborn stadium. i drive by it almost everyday, and it’s state of the art! i am planning to attend the home opener.

as for logos, here is the comparison:

Attachments

• IMG_5213.png
    IMG_5213.png
    14 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5214.jpeg
    IMG_5214.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 3
I don't know if you are fishing for validation of your information but the context of your post is somewhat disturbing.
Not phishing at all. Yeah, when I heard the scoop, I was surprised a little. It's nothing too big, but it did get my attention though.

Aah the JV division may be more open than the Braves taking scalps at will. The Braves lost what 85-90% of their offense with Meeks graduating? They were senior heavy and those lost loads can equal things out a bit this year. IL, may be the upstart spoiler and I would not count out Graham...that coach went through something similar at Greenon and I cannot dismiss them. IMO, NU has the JV division this year.

If my memory is somewhat good, Belle has always or seems to have/had a stud RB. Who takes that roll to help TSC. Does TSC need to rush more? Posters seem to think the D is fairly solid but can they put the points on the board to beat London? I have stated it that the banner runs through London but I still LIKE the Chefs...though I think they may be down from last year. just a feeling.

London...how is Sollars knee rehab? I really like watching this kid run the ball and to me is a difference maker. JA, oh my, Jewell was the man...special talent. JA, not a passing team, who steps into Jewell's role? The second leading rushing was the QB. I will not discount JA but they have more to replace than London and Belle to come close to their O production from last year.
Meeks graduating could be a good thing. They went to him way to often if you ask me and others.