Centerville vs Moeller

ELKSONE

#EPND
Common opponents
Mason: Moeller 1-0, Centerville 5-0, 3-1 (Mason goal PK)
St. X: Moeller 1-0, 2-0, Centerville 0-1
Lakota West: Moeller 1-0, Centerville 2-2
Beavercreek: Moeller 1-0 OT, Centerville 1-0

Top scorers:
M: Bradley Poppell - 22 (no Assist shown)
C: Landon Miller - 16 and 11 Assist

Regular Season scoring
Moeller: 60-1
Centerville: 54-13

Shutouts
Moeller - regular season 16
Centerville - regular season 9

Regular season games decided by one point.
Moeller - 7
Centerville - 3

Obviously the Elks give up more goals and Moeller has an excellent defense.
Moeller probably wins this game 2-0.

Surprisingly, overall the game was fairly even. Both teams were patient with their attacks. At times it appeared one team was more dominant and then the momentum changed.

Gonna question that “it’ll be well officiated” haha! Innocent bystander that saw the video of 2 goals by centerville that were call out of bounds that are questionable at best. The corner definitely!!

Gonna question that “it’ll be well officiated” haha! Innocent bystander that saw the video of 2 goals by centerville that were call out of bounds that are questionable at best. The corner definitely!!
Were the videos directly on the end line? If not there's no way to tell if the ball curved out and came back in unless they were on the end line where the AR was. The video of the 1st one clearly shows the ball out of play. Even Centerville staff isn't arguing that one.

Centerville AD was a little unhinged with the tweets though. Its inaccurate to say "Elks managed to put two goals in the net but they were both disallowed by the same official for calling the ball out of bounds. Elks could be up 2-0" The video shows the first ball clearly out, goalie and defense motioned it with the AR, the play was dead. That's like shooting the ball as the team walks off the field and saying "I put the ball in the back of the net but they refused to count it, we should have won 1-0."

The 2nd goal video was on goal line. The 1st goal I only argue that in this type of game you cannot be hesitant with your calls. Centerville is celebrating in the corner before the call is even made. As a Center you better make sure the AR is 1000% sure before making a call 15 seconds late. And when the call is late it’s never a 1000%. Hats off to Moeller I thought they were outplayed 95% of the game. Welcome to the game of soccer.

They were sent by a parent in an app. Trying to figure out if it’s possible to screen record from this.

Were the videos directly on the end line? If not there's no way to tell if the ball curved out and came back in unless they were on the end line where the AR was. The video of the 1st one clearly shows the ball out of play. Even Centerville staff isn't arguing that one.
I agree, as I was sitting in the stands watching, I even thought to myself that the ball was out as it was being served to the middle before it was headed in.

Yes, there was some "confusion" on the call but I think that only happened because Cville believed they had scored and was celebrating. I dont think it was "confusion" on the referees part.

Not a parent from either team but I saw the clip on twitter almost right away by the guy from Chatterbox Sports that was there and has been covering the local soccer games in the post season.

Tough ending for sure, totally understand the disappointment for the Elks (just expect a little more tact from the official athletics account though than what was implied).

I was at the game also and the only comment I disagree with is that Centerville controlled 95% of the game . I definitely understand the disappointment in the second goal disallowed. I thought control of the game went back and forth and though Moeller if anybody was probably in charge of tempo most of the night. I will say that Centerville was definitely bigger and stronger at most positions, also more physical on one on one situations. Just like last year I think Moellers speed and ball pressure wears teams down. Not necessarily saying Centerville couldnt handle it just that no matter where the ball is at Moeller is up pressuring the player and sometimes rushing them into decisions. It was a great game to watch and as always one team is excited and the other is disappointed.

Lol I would say 95% was overexaggerated. Hats off to moeller though. 2 years in a row knocking centerville out in the regions. Not many schools can say they have done that. Until next year fellas! Good luck

Not that it matters, however would love to see the corner being out of bounds in the air before coming back in for a header in the goal. Can't say I ever seen that called before.
With the win, Moeller breaks Centerville’s record of 20 consecutive shutouts set back in 1985.

Not that it matters, however would love to see the corner being out of bounds in the air before coming back in for a header in the goal. Can't say I ever seen that called before.
With the win, Moeller breaks Centerville’s record of 20 consecutive shutouts set back in 1985.
I’m shocked you’ve never seen it called before. I see it multiple times a season.

Here’s what I would say about the corner. They were on the left side of the field and a lefty was hitting an outswinger. The ball was lofted and curving. The ball fell at the back post about 2 yards from the goal line when headed in. I would say the ball would have to defy physics to end up where it did without going out of bounds first. You would have to hit a driven, sliced ball for that to be the case and that type of ball wasn’t played. Earlier in the game the same kid hit an outswinger from the same spot and that ball was cleared just outside the 6 yard box, which is more likely. If a high, curving outswinger ball is played, it most likely would be outside the 6 yard box in front of the goal. The Center and AR we’re immediately in communication via their headsets and the center was pointing to a goal kick.

Additionally, why is no one talking about the incredible, all world save the Centerville keeper made to keep the game at 1-0? Moeller redirected a free kick to the back post with a header and the Centerville keeper dove backwards to push the ball with his fingertips off the back post/crossbar. The ball was absolutely going in and the keeper totally kept a goal off the scoreboard for Moeller.

The conversation about this game should be about the players, not the refs. The refs called a great game. It was a physical battle and they let the boys play while keeping the game in check.

The fact is these are two very good teams. Easily probably two of the better defenses in Ohio and multiple D1 soccer players on the field. Moeller had 60% of possession as Centerville was not looking to possess and win in the middle of the field. They wanted to het ball in Moeller half for set pieces and corners. Moeller had opportunity to possess more but also chose to play a bit direct as well.

I agree with MTO that Centerville was bigger, more physical and Moeller had more speed on the field.

It’s a shame these two teams met in Regionals as this one was worthy of a State matchup.

I might be mistaken, but I don't think their starters have given up a goal all year. Their reserves gave up a PK in the 1st game of the year to Walnut Hills with just a few minutes left. Shutouts in every game since ...

100% agree about the great play by Centerville goalie. Poppel put it exactly where he wanted it on a great shot but the goalie play was even better ! That play was huge . The rivalry betwwen these two teams has gave us 2 great games in the Regionals last 2 seasons. I am sure it will probably continue .

Additionally, why is no one talking about the incredible, all world save the Centerville keeper made to keep the game at 1-0? Moeller redirected a free kick to the back post with a header and the Centerville keeper dove backwards to push the ball with his fingertips off the back post/crossbar. The ball was absolutely going in and the keeper totally kept a goal off the scoreboard for Moeller.

The conversation about this game should be about the players, not the refs. The refs called a great game. It was a physical battle and they let the boys play while keeping the game in check.

The fact is these are two very good teams. Easily probably two of the better defenses in Ohio and multiple D1 soccer players on the field. Moeller had 60% of possession as Centerville was not looking to possess and win in the middle of the field. They wanted to het ball in Moeller half for set pieces and corners. Moeller had opportunity to possess more but also chose to play a bit direct as well.

I agree with MTO that Centerville was bigger, more physical and Moeller had more speed on the field.

It’s a shame these two teams met in Regionals as this one was worthy of a State matchup.
That save was one of the best saves I have ever seen!

The 2nd goal video was on goal line. The 1st goal I only argue that in this type of game you cannot be hesitant with your calls. Centerville is celebrating in the corner before the call is even made. As a Center you better make sure the AR is 1000% sure before making a call 15 seconds late. And when the call is late it’s never a 1000%. Hats off to Moeller I thought they were outplayed 95% of the game. Welcome to the game of soccer.

The problem ended up being mechanics. AR relied too heavily on the microphones and not the basic flag mechanics. If he goes up with the flag immediately, everyone knows the ball is out of play before it even hits the Centerville kids head. But without the flag no one knows what's going on except the crew. Call was right, just done sloppily. Teaching moment for sure.

It’s a shame these two teams met in Regionals as this one was worthy of a State matchup

Not unnoticed. My son, who had no rooting interest, was at the game. He mentioned the great Moeller goal but said the Elk Keeper save was even beter.