Centerville Elite 8

Maybe the point is that the average level of player dropped due to the lost year, but since Walnut has 2 outsides playing club at a very high level that has helped them to close the gap even more?

In terms of becoming an elite player at the state level, the more reps you can get early on (Freshman-Sophomore year) is absolutely vital. So when we lost the covid year, those kids that weren't playing club at the time lost an entire year of competitive touches.

Like Falcon said though, the Covid year affected everyone. I think it's more the fact that Wheatley, Tombragel, and Smith-Trondle just might be the best trio of players in the state and Walnut's role players are also club players who have improved significantly more than they would have without those extra reps
Speaking of the role players, playing club and getting touches helps, but having that trio of fantastic players around them everyday in practice is likely paying dividends as well. DiNardo, Moyer, Swift and Welden have all impressed me this season in different ways.

Maybe the point is that the average level of player dropped due to the lost year, but since Walnut has 2 outsides playing club at a very high level that has helped them to close the gap even more?

In terms of becoming an elite player at the state level, the more reps you can get early on (Freshman-Sophomore year) is absolutely vital. So when we lost the covid year, those kids that weren't playing club at the time lost an entire year of competitive touches.

Like Falcon said though, the Covid year affected everyone. I think it's more the fact that Wheatley, Tombragel, and Smith-Trondle just might be the best trio of players in the state and Walnut's role players are also club players who have improved significantly more than they would have without those extra reps
Yeah I guess, but it's not like the Elder, Moeller, St X kids weren't also playing club. The Walnut kids are just very good I think. And yes, the culture of the program there seems to be driving kids to play club, so even the role players have had a lot of experience. They also have a junior high program which many public schools lack.

Elder defeats X in the finals at the elite 8, 3-1. Moe defeats Liberty in 3 to round out the top 3. Centerville was hampered today without their setter, Rings, who was out sick. Great matches top to bottom today.