Canton McKinley football 2012

Hey HOF, Good game review... Now, go find the "Week Four N.Canton vs Canton McKinley" Yappi Thread, and catch up on the Eight Pages and 200 plus posts where the Hoover game was discussed by the rest of us:)

And, then, when everybody decides where we are going to discuss this week's Lake game, somebody needs to leave a bread crumb trail here for the rest of us to follow ... Good luck to all!

ok heres the crumb gyro eater 1950--- MCK SHOULD BEAT LAKE BY # scores ,but Lake is tough in their crib especially ... Mck cannot have a letdown and with Filtz ,they will not ---reduce the penalties --play smarter football ...and you win it 31-14--if not ,it will go down to the wire ----

Hof, I apologize... I think you misunderstood my reference when I mentioned "bread crumbs"... I was referring to locating where the McKinley fans were posting their discussion of this week's game... I found last week's N.Canton thread more by accident than anything else, and I was now looking for a way to help others for this week.

By the way, the N.Canton discussion is STILL going strong at about 250 messages posted...several even from today... I know eventually, we will all start to discuss this Friday's opponent, I just did not know where to look for it (again, hence the "bread crumb" reference).

You have started your review here which is fine... At the same time, others have started their discussion on the "Lake Thread"... I have shared how I navigate to the Lake thread. If anybody is interested, see post#30 above

If anybody has an easier way to get to these other threads, please share... With every team fan base opening up a new thread to discuss every weekly opponent, I see these threads eventually over the years turning into a mess that nobody will bother to sort through and post on.

In the meantime, wherever one chooses to post, Good luck to all! ... sam (class of '68)

Hof, I apologize... I think you misunderstood my reference when I mentioned "bread crumbs"... I was referring to locating where the McKinley fans were posting their discussion of this week's game... I found last week's N.Canton thread more by accident than anything else, and I was now looking for a way to help others for this week.

By the way, the N.Canton discussion is STILL going strong at about 250 messages posted...several even from today... I know eventually, we will all start to discuss this Friday's opponent, I just did not know where to look for it (again, hence the "bread crumb" reference).

You have started your review here which is fine... At the same time, others have started their discussion on the "Lake Thread"... I have shared how I navigate to the Lake thread. If anybody is interested, see post#30 above

If anybody has an easier way to get to these other threads, please share... With every team fan base opening up a new thread to discuss every weekly opponent, I see these threads eventually over the years turning into a mess that nobody will bother to sort through and post on.

In the meantime, wherever one chooses to post, Good luck to all! ... sam (class of '68)

well spryo gyra -- i , mr hof , choose to discuss mck games right here in our mck forum ..... this way u dont get ill-informed idiot garbage like you do in the football forum .... listen to hoffy ..hoffyis a yappi legend

It's always nice to beat Hoover! Hoover fans have been saying and arguing with me for 10 years that they have a better football program than McKinley.They are arrogant and I hate them with a passion.So it's always great to beat them!!!

Now lets go on to Lake.It's always hard to play at Lake,and I think this will be a close hard fought game.Lake will be fired up for us more than any game of the season.There well coached and coach Durbin always has a good game plan for McKinley.We need to be ready to play and be fired up for them if we expect to win.

BTW-I like Lake and there fans,unlike Hoover.

Lets go Bulldogssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still think this defense has issues

The Bulldogs defense only gave up 17 points to a high powered Hoover offense and 14 points to a high powered Huber Heights Wayne offense allowing only 140 total yards.

McKinley's front 7 are awesome and one of the best in the State.There defense against the rush is lights out good!

The pups weak spot on defense is the secondary.But you have to give credit to Hoover's QB he is very good.The Bulldogs only gave up 50 yards passing against Huber Heights Wayne's good QB! As long as the secondary improves every week they will be solid by week 10 and the play-offs.Then our entire defense will be one of the best in the State.

PS:Remember we lost our ENTIRE secondary from last year.We need to be patient with all of the new starters this year.

It does, as do most defenses this point of the season. Even your Massillon dream team has issues on defense. Imo we have fewer than your Tigers...

I thought that was BigDogman too.I notice he has been in hiding since the season has started.:D He has not had a chance "to pounce" on the bulldogs,but we have had a chance to pounce on his Dream Team to the West.:laugh:

GO BULLDOGSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Pups beat Lake 35-21... Congratulations Bulldogs!

With about five minutes to go in the game, we thought it would be safe to leave with McKinley up 28-7... then it became 28-14 as we reached the top stadium level... walking out the gates it was 28-21, we were ready to go back into the stadium to watch the overtime play (?)... BUT, McKinley closes out the game 35-21... (Sigh of Relief!)

The Pups just do not want to bury anybody...they always make it close...to be fair, they do make a lot of substitutions... AND it was nice to see the penalties and yardage come down... we got called for 49 penalty yards (per the Repository), but the one penalty for "unsportsmanlike" was "justified"... From my view, Lake was piling onto Glover, AND the Lake guys were also pushing us around after the whistle (Of course, McKinley is the only team penalized.)

Noteworthy for the game was Glover rushing for over 300 yards, AND his first TD pass was a thing of beauty... The official stats called it a 56 yard TD pass...BUT he first rolled to his left, and then threw across field to the far right endzone... that ball had to travel 70 yards in the air.

As a team, we are good enough to just steamroll people... 50 to zip every game... And, I am sure that day will come... maybe it will happen as we get closer to the end of the season... With a new coach, and lots of rookies and substitutions, it will be a good play-off season this year... with several more playoff seasons to come.

Go Pups ... Beat Jackson... Good luck to all, sam ('68)

Way to go Bulldogs!! Now lets beat Jackson.We can't look past Jackson,they are capable.BEAT JACKSON!!!

GO BULLDOGSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because of the light drizzle at the beginning of the game, I did not keep my game charts... plus we were packed in like sardines, which makes it hard to write down notes... (interestingly, the other side had wide open spots in their stands... but, a lot of fans did stand along the upper fences over the endzone by the grassy knoll).

Here are several additional notes to share from last night's game... We BLOCKED at least TWO Lake punts...one totally, and the other partially... we also just missed (?) on a third... our multiple punt blockers seemed to come right up the middle.

Also, I like the way our three linebackers perform their "walkabout"... going in and out, left and right in the line gaps... it no doubt confuses their offensive linemen... (leading to the blocked punts above?) ... bless our Defense if they can get away with this... today's defense gives a very "different look".

And, we had two interceptions ... the 2 blocked punts and 2 interceptions certainly tilt the game to McKinley's favor... Lake even benched their experienced senior QB, in favor of their Sophomore replacement... Our Defense did give up some yards, but Lake was pulling out all the stops... running Wildcats, and a neat double reverse pass play (which was overthrown).

Finally, I noted that McKinley is winning the coin toss... and is choosing to "defer" to the second half... For at least the N. Canton and now the Lake games, we want our Defense to have the first shot at our opponent... my guess is that trend will continue... I enjoy seeing our Defense take the field first to hand over great field position to our Offense.

Go Pups... Beat Jackson... Good luck to all, sam (68).

good turnout at the Lake game for the Mck fans --- but lets just say there are alot of "veterans " there --i think some of the older fans are getting REAL old --- hopefully there will be a surge in a youth movement cause when the old guard goes to that big doghouse in the sky there may not be many fans left

Because of the light drizzle at the beginning of the game, I did not keep my game charts... plus we were packed in like sardines, which makes it hard to write down notes... (interestingly, the other side had wide open spots in their stands... but, a lot of fans did stand along the upper fences over the endzone by the grassy knoll).

Here are several additional notes to share from last night's game... We BLOCKED at least TWO Lake punts...one totally, and the other partially... we also just missed (?) on a third... our multiple punt blockers seemed to come right up the middle.

Also, I like the way our three linebackers perform their "walkabout"... going in and out, left and right in the line gaps... it no doubt confuses their offensive linemen... (leading to the blocked punts above?) ... bless our Defense if they can get away with this... today's defense gives a very "different look".

And, we had two interceptions ... the 2 blocked punts and 2 interceptions certainly tilt the game to McKinley's favor... Lake even benched their experienced senior QB, in favor of their Sophomore replacement... Our Defense did give up some yards, but Lake was pulling out all the stops... running Wildcats, and a neat double reverse pass play (which was overthrown).

Finally, I noted that McKinley is winning the coin toss... and is choosing to "defer" to the second half... For at least the N. Canton and now the Lake games, we want our Defense to have the first shot at our opponent... my guess is that trend will continue... I enjoy seeing our Defense take the field first to hand over great field position to our Offense.

Go Pups... Beat Jackson... Good luck to all, sam (68).

Thanks for both of your run downs on the game.It's much appreciated!!

McKinley Beats Jackson 40-15... Congratulations Pups!

From my notes I recall the following:

- I am going to start coming to the game in the Fourth Quarter!... Starting the Fourth, Jackson is winning 15-14... then McK scores 26 unanswered points... I have come to accept that we are a second half team... (Sort of like only watching "the NBA's last five minutes" in the regular season.)

- Only 8,500 in the stands... I am surprised...it was not that cold (low
50's) ...where is everybody?... I was also surprised about the lack of following by the Jackson fans... The North stands were sparse.... (Again, I tip my hat to the N.Canton fans...they showed up in force.)... Even if Jackson fans do not like their football team, their Band alone is worth the price of admission.

- Our first half, I was on snooze alert... just waiting, waiting, waiting... then the Fourth Quarter starts with a BANG... a Blocked Punt for a TD... Right up the middle... I am now awake... I tell my wife the rout is on!

-our penalties are back under control... just four for 30 yards... and, the one defensive pass interference by McK is questionable in my opinion... the officials are less noticeable this game ...only six penalties called in total... (nobody wants or needs to see almost 20 penalties like the N.Canton game.)

Mck's rush Defense was dominant... Jackson had 36 yards in 27 carries... the 200 Jackson passing yards (in 15 for 40) was misleading... No question they made the catches, but many were either unbelievable circus grabs, or their QB threaded the needle several times with just perfect throws... (Jackson did have one dropped pass at the goal line that left the crowd gasping... had it been caught, it may have made the game very interesting.)

- our subs finally get to play the last six minutes of the game... even so, we do use a lot of players throughout the whole course of the game... I tried to write down the starters, but gave up... we use too many players for me to keep track... which in the end I believe is a good thing...

Good luck to all...Go Pups!... Beat GlenOak!...sam(68)

McKinley Beats Jackson 40-15... Congratulations Pups!

From my notes I recall the following:

- I am going to start coming to the game in the Fourth Quarter!... Starting the Fourth, Jackson is winning 15-14... then McK scores 26 unanswered points... I have come to accept that we are a second half team... (Sort of like only watching "the NBA's last five minutes" in the regular season.)

- Only 8,500 in the stands... I am surprised...it was not that cold (low
50's) ...where is everybody?... I was also surprised about the lack of following by the Jackson fans... The North stands were sparse.... (Again, I tip my hat to the N.Canton fans...they showed up in force.)... Even if Jackson fans do not like their football team, their Band alone is worth the price of admission.

- Our first half, I was on snooze alert... just waiting, waiting, waiting... then the Fourth Quarter starts with a BANG... a Blocked Punt for a TD... Right up the middle... I am now awake... I tell my wife the rout is on!

-our penalties are back under control... just four for 30 yards... and, the one defensive pass interference by McK is questionable in my opinion... the officials are less noticeable this game ...only six penalties called in total... (nobody wants or needs to see almost 20 penalties like the N.Canton game.)

Mck's rush Defense was dominant... Jackson had 36 yards in 27 carries... the 200 Jackson passing yards (in 15 for 40) was misleading... No question they made the catches, but many were either unbelievable circus grabs, or their QB threaded the needle several times with just perfect throws... (Jackson did have one dropped pass at the goal line that left the crowd gasping... had it been caught, it may have made the game very interesting.)

- our subs finally get to play the last six minutes of the game... even so, we do use a lot of players throughout the whole course of the game... I tried to write down the starters, but gave up... we use too many players for me to keep track... which in the end I believe is a good thing...

Good luck to all...Go Pups!... Beat GlenOak!...sam(68)

Thanks again,I enjoy reading your take on the games.Better than the Canton Rep? I'm sure there are alot of other bulldog fans who don't post but also enjoy reading your take on the games.

Thanks again.....And beat GlenOak!

Thank you for making a new home for us... I recognize many posters here from Mck.com... (I do not foresee myself posting anymore on the old former site.)

This is an interesting set-up over here at Yappi... I see two "Canton McKinley 2012" threads here...one under the "Football" thread, and this one under the "League/School" thread ... It looks like this thread has exclusively McKinley posters... the other McKinley 2012 site has multiple school contributors.

There is also a "game of the week" topic under the "Football" thread which I have posted on...The N.Canton bunch were an entertaining group... people were posting days after the game... some just would not let it go... page after page with hundreds of posts.

There was One thing I learned from a Maple Heights fan on another of the threads ...Coach Filtz had the same "style" there at Maple Heights as he does over here at McKinley... He keeps the game close early, and then wins with a big late finish ... It means a lot of early substitutions with an up tempo offense, and then our team pulls away in the Fourth Quarter... It takes a while to get use to it as a fan, AND now I am all aboard... It feels good again to be a Bulldog!

Good luck to all... Go Pups ... Beat GlenOak...sam (class'68/ Team'67)

Thank you for making a new home for us... I recognize many posters here from Mck.com... (I do not foresee myself posting anymore on the old former site.)

This is an interesting set-up over here at Yappi... I see two "Canton McKinley 2012" threads here...one under the "Football" thread, and this one under the "League/School" thread ... It looks like this thread has exclusively McKinley posters... the other McKinley 2012 site has multiple school contributors.

There is also a "game of the week" topic under the "Football" thread which I have posted on...The N.Canton bunch were an entertaining group... people were posting days after the game... some just would not let it go... page after page with hundreds of posts.

There was One thing I learned from a Maple Heights fan on another of the threads ...Coach Filtz had the same "style" there at Maple Heights as he does over here at McKinley... He keeps the game close early, and then wins with a big late finish ... It means a lot of early substitutions with an up tempo offense, and then our team pulls away in the Fourth Quarter... It takes a while to get use to it as a fan, AND now I am all aboard... It feels good again to be a Bulldog!

Good luck to all... Go Pups ... Beat GlenOak...sam (class'68/ Team'67)

Good post, Sam, and welcome to the forum!

McKinley loses to GlenOak...21 to 24

A nail biter to the end...with a minute to go, the Pups are inside the GlenOak ten yard line... but, the win was NOT to be.

For the game:

GlenOak runs almost twice as many plays.... 73 to 40(?)

GlenOak has twice as much time with the ball.... 34 to 14 minutes (?)

GlenOak has one third the penalty yards 20 to 70.

McKinley has a 94 yard Kick-off TD called back on a dubious call.

McKinley gives GlenOak a 5 yard touchdown drive on a muffed Punt from our endzone.

All in all, a very winable game for McKinley... IMO, we gave this game away more than GlenOak beat us.

My main concern was with our "game possessions"... I show we had the ball Eleven times... three long TDS (51, 74, 85 yards) ...BUT then, we had five punts (with only one first down for these five series)... One thrown interception... and we were zero for two on fourth down conversions... We need more "ball control".

Bottom line: we are headed for the play-offs... all we lost tonight was a possible home play-off game... (It would be nice to play GlenOak a second time this year.)

Good luck to all... Beat Perry!...sam ('68).

how about some bulldog fan in here man -ing up and say what really cost them the game at the end !! PLAYCALLING !! Hello... after you were basically given the game at the end when GlenOak decided to throw the ball and Mck picked it -- you have it 2nd and goal from the 4 and instead of lining up to power it in ( you have two trys to do that ) he stays in the shotgun : spread and the QB takes a 20 yard loss ..game over ... even if you dont get in running it straight ahead twice you still kick an extra point length field goal and the game goes to overtime ...the REAL Mck fans need to post in here ...GlenOak outplayed Mck , but in the end Mck gave the game to GO because of some questionable coaching decisions

The game ending decisions were confusing to most of us... I'm hoping for some type of explanation in the press from the coach over the coming days... even with fourth and goal from the 22 yard line, a field goal for the tie was quite makeable... it's only 19 more yards than a normal P.A.T. (with which our kicker would not have had a problem.)

For now, I am willing to stay calm and support our coach... one "bad/questionable" decision does not justify throwing him overboard... Before the last fourth down play, the coaches did call a time out to discuss what to do... they chose to go with the pass/run, and they have more info than us.

At this point their final decision is hard to understand, BUT not a whole lot has changed as we are still in the play-off hunt... I figure we just have to win two of the last three remaining games against Perry, Boardman, and Massillon.... With seven wins, McKinley gets one of the lower play-off seeds.

IMO, the silver lining for this story is that now maybe the players have learned not to be so self absorbed with themselves... I am upset with players' prima donna attitudes.... the penalties (especially the unsportsmen calls) need to stop... Penalties lost this game every bit as much as the play calling... ALL of us knew that the undisciplined player approach to the game would cost us one day... AND, here is that day!

If we now get improved play calling by the coaches AND no penalties by the players, then the loss was worth it... We just have to learn... Now, it is on to Perry this Friday at Fawcett... I will be there to support the team... Everybody needs to clean up their act - coaches and players alike.

Good luck to all... Go Pups... Beat Perry... sam ('68)... PS - earlier I posted that the team had 70 yards in penalties per the Canton Rep... Now, I see a second story in The REP calling for Eight penalties for 109 yards... few teams can win with over 100 yards in penalties... when will these players learn that the team comes first? ... Hopefully, they now have a clue on the link between penalties and losing games.

I'm just happy to get to watch my Bulldogs play on the Internet!!!

I'm not happy with how the game ended,but I'm still happy to have got to see my bulldogs play!

Now lets put the GlenOak game behind us,and focus on beating Perry!!

GO BULLDOGSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a Euro that says Richardson does it again this season!
(although he may not draw a flag for it).
:>---

Last edited:
This should be an entertaining game... Perry has nothing to lose, and must win all remaining games to stay alive for the play-offs... Panthers should open their play book on McKinley, and should go for the on-side kick, fake fourth down punts, ten men blitzes against our kicking game, etc.

Counters, screens, draws, reverses, flea flickers, statue of liberty, and even the "fumbleruski", etal should all be available for the Panther offense... If its me as the Perry coach, I would be part River Boat Gambler, and part Chinese Bandit... Anybody seen the "lonesome pollcat", lately?

For McKinley, we have everything to lose, and still have to play conservative, basic football... boring but effective... either three and out, or two play 80 yard quick strike TD's... we have no middle ground... no ball control.

Hopefully, a fun time for all... and another Bulldog victory!... Good luck to all, sam ('68)

counting the grat hoffy (me) how many mck fans are in here ? 3 ? 4 tops??? this is a waste of my precious time ... terrible that the florida polar bear is whack

counting the grat hoffy (me) how many mck fans are in here ? 3 ? 4 tops??? this is a waste of my precious time ... terrible that the florida polar bear is whack

15: 16 with you, which is at least as many as are on GAMEDAY or McK's Facebook page.

Lots of visitors tho.

+ You don't have anyone busting your nuts - YET.

:>---

Pups beat Perry - 49 to 14

Perry scores the first two touchdowns ... first on a fake Fourth Down punt (a 45 yard TD pass)... then came back to recover an on-side kick and march down the short field for their second TD... Pups had yet to touch the ball and they were down 14 to zip....(Perry won the coin toss and elected to receive.)

It looked like it was going to be a long night for McK, but then Pups score 49 straight points... by the end of the Third Quarter, the subs begin to play... I am not sure why Perry turned conservative after their second TD... whether you lose by one or by 50, what difference does it make?... If I were Perry, I would be out there running trick plays until the cows came home.

Ohiopup gives a play by play commentary on the Yappi thread ... (Yappi Sports/ Boys HS Sports/ Football/ Perry Panthers @ Canton McKinley)

Pups run up over 300 yards of offense... Richardson scores four TD's... Defense plays a man for man/ no safety/ nine to ten men in the box ... Pups shut down the Panther run... force the Perry QB out of the game (Perry uses three QB's)... McK blocked two punts in the game (which makes Eight for the year).

A win next week at Boardman puts McK in a play-off spot (?), and McK gains a piece of the Federal League Championship... with an 8-1 regular season record (beating both Boardman and Massillon), McK gains a first round play-off home game.

Good luck to all ... Beat Boardman (who I hear has suffered some injuries)... sam ('68)... P.S. - Picked up my Massillon tickets today at the ticket office... plenty of tickets left.

Way to go bulldogs!!! Now lets beat Boardman!

Boardman is a very hard place to play.It seems every time we play in Boardman it is a very,very close game.

Believe me Boardman will show up for McKinley.....

The Boardman team that beat GlenOak is the Boardman team we will have to play.

GO BULLDOGSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigBulldog wrote: "The Boardman team that beat GlenOak is the Boardman team we will have to play."
---------------------------------

You might be right, but I am under a different impression... as I noted in post #56 above, I had heard that Boardman was having some problems, and was not now the same team that beat GlenOak earlier this season.

Please check out the Cantonrep.com/Fridaynightohio website under the "Two Minute Drill" feature... Todd Porter and Mike Popovich are discussing the McKinley vs Boardman game (after they first discuss Massillon). At the tail end of this film report, Porter says that Boardman is (paraphrasing): "banged up, and that there are chemistry problems on the team" (some people on their team are not getting along with others).

This is now the second time this season where Porter/Popovich have noted Boardman's internal problems... I bring this to your attention here so that you understand the source of my comments.

Boardman can still be dangerous, but if the Repository's reports are correct, then McKinley could maybe have an easier time this Friday than GlenOak ... Good luck to all... Go pups!... sam ('68)

BigBulldog wrote: "The Boardman team that beat GlenOak is the Boardman team we will have to play."
---------------------------------

You might be right, but I am under a different impression... as I noted in post #56 above, I had heard that Boardman was having some problems, and was not now the same team that beat GlenOak earlier this season.

Please check out the Cantonrep.com/Fridaynightohio website under the "Two Minute Drill" feature... Todd Porter and Mike Popovich are discussing the McKinley vs Boardman game (after they first discuss Massillon). At the tail end of this film report, Porter says that Boardman is (paraphrasing): "banged up, and that there are chemistry problems on the team" (some people on their team are not getting along with others).

This is now the second time this season where Porter/Popovich have noted Boardman's internal problems... I bring this to your attention here so that you understand the source of my comments.

Boardman can still be dangerous, but if the Repository's reports are correct, then McKinley could maybe have an easier time this Friday than GlenOak ... Good luck to all... Go pups!... sam ('68)
Sam ...with all due respect ...its never easy at Boardman .... have you ever been to a Boardman game at their home field?? then you know what i am talking about ...its as old school as youy can get ....