BR1986FB's P90X Workout Blog

BR1986FB

I'm doing this for the benefit of others who are interested in learning more about this program. Tomorrow I embark on a 90 day journey to improve my overall health & fitness.

A little about me...I'm a 41 year old male who has been training with weights for 28 years. I've trained bodybuilders, power lifters and performance athletes for the past 20+. I have degrees in finance, economics and non-teaching physical education and, at one point, wanted to move to California to train bodybuilders. I'm a former high school/college football player and a former professional wrestler.

Personal bests include a 600+lb bench press and 900+lb squat over 20 years ago. I still use well over 400 lbs for reps in my bench workout. So this "downsizing/decrease" in weights might be a "hit" to the ego. I figured not being a competitive athlete anymore it was time to pare down to "human" size. ;)

For the P90X program, I had to take measurements/weigh in. As of today, Saturday December 27th, 2008 are:

Ht: 6'2"
Wt: 288 lbs
Bodyfat %- 34% (I know, too high)
Chest: 55 inches
Biceps: 19 inches
Waist: 48 inches
Thigh: 30 inches
Calf: 18 inches

More tomorrow...

Day 1...today was the first day and I had chest & back.

The workout was fast paced and I actually finished the weight part 3 exercises before Tony Horton & his crew finished. Still can't consistently do pullups so I'm using the bands. Lots of pushups though. Was surprised it was this much easier. AB Ripper X still sucks and I couldn't get completely through it due to chronic lower back injury. Heart rate hit 164.

As far as eating my day consisted of:

Meal 1:
Mushroom scramble (egg whites, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, low fat cheese and a little skim milk all mixed up into an egg scramble) with a dash of hot sauce.
1/2 c cottage cheese
1 clementine orange
1 c coffee w/Splenda

Meal 2:
1 scoop protein powder
1 c skim milk
2 ice cubes

Meal 3:
Chef Salad (w/turkey & lean ham)
lowfat Italian dressing

Meal 4:
30 unsalted almonds
2 strip cheeses

Meal 5:
8 oz tomato crusted salmon
1/2 c basmati rice
1 cup green beans

After this I have to wait 3 hours to go to bed. If you have questions, pm me. More tomorrow...

Day 2...plyometrics!

Good golly miss Molly...thought my heart was gonna blow out of my mouth. Man that gets the old ticker pumping. All of those hops and jumps can definitely be applied to other sports. Accidently jumped on my poor orange cats leg (he's OK, got tangled under my feet).

Feel good though AND, it must be my lucky day. Stopped and picked up one of those $20 New Years $1,000,000 Ohio Lottery Raffle tickets and it was an instant $100 winner. I NEVER win on that stuff. Hope the bigger payday hits in a few days. ;)

Today's eats:

Meal 1
Cheese scramble (10 egg whites, 4 oz. no fat cheddar, a little skim milk & pepper mixed together) Topped with Frank's Red Hot
4 slices turkey bacon
1 banana
12 oz skim milk
1 c coffee with Splenda

Meal 2
2 scoops Optimum Nutritions Gold Standard protein (Rocky Road)
2 ice cubes
water (shake)
P.S. the Magic Bullet blender is a Godsend for this. Keep one at my office.

Meal 3
Chicken Salad (10 oz chicken breast, 3 tbsp Miracle Whip Lite, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 4 oz celery, 2 oz chopped green onion, pepper)
4 cups lettuce
1 iced coffee (plain w/Splenda)

Meal 4
Pure Proteins Deluxe Chocolate protein bar (20g protein, 180 cal)

Meal 5
Shrimp stir fry (10 oz shrimp, chopped green onion, chopped yellow peppers, minced garlic, chicken broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, raw broccoli)

YUM !!!

Drinking at least 3 liters of water per day...

I have a feeling I'm going to be ripped by the time I'm done with this. More tomorrow...

Last edited:
Day 3....shoulders, biceps & triceps...

Yeah baby!!! It hurts SO bad but it feels SO good. I can feel the blood pumping through my arms & delts. A very GOOD feeling. It usually doesn't hit you until the second day after the workout. I have a feeling I'm going to have problems lifting my arms to wash my hair on Thursday. :D

I can see some changes in body composition already and I feel like a kid, energy-wise.

Todays eats...

Meal 1
Spinach scramble (10 egg whites, fresh spinach, 1 chopped tomato, 4 oz fat free cheddar, dash of skim milk)
1 apple
12 oz skim milk
1 c coffee (w/Splenda)

Meal 2
Protein shake

Meal 3
Steak salad (10 oz skirt steak cut, 4 cups lettuce, 1/2 c spinach, cherry tomatoes, 3 oz fat free mozzarella, 4 tsp fat free Italian dressing)
Iced coffee with Splenda

Meal 4
Pure Protein protein bar

Meal 5
Turkey burger (10 oz ground turkey, chopped green onion, dash of worcheshire sauce, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 3 tsp bread crumbs, dash of lowfat buttermilk, pepper)
1/2c basmati rice

Continue to drink a lot of water.

Until tomorrow, good evening and TRAIN HARD !!!

This morning my body feels like it's been beaten with a sledgehammer but it's a "good" pain. My problem is sleep. By the time I get done with my last meal, I have to wait 3 hours before going to bed. I'm going to bed after 10, which is late for me during the week. I have to wake up a little after 4am and I don't know that I'm getting suffiecient rest for recovery.

Day 4....Yoga

When I think of "yoga", I think of tofu eating, save the world, tree huggers types. Apparently, I was WRONG. Just when I thought it was "safe" and I was going to get a "break", along comes yoga. This, too, will kick your butt. I was in positions I didn't think I could get into, so much so it seemed similar to a "Ron Jeremy moment." VERY difficult but I'm sure it will get easier.

Today's eats...

Meal 1
Mushroom scramble
4 slices turkey bacon
banana
coffee

Meal 2
Protein shake

Meal 3
Tuna salad (10 oz albacore tuna, 1.5 oz Miracle Whip Lite, 2 oz chopped greem onions & celery)
4 cups lettuce

Meal 4
Protein bar

Meal 5
10 oz lean pork
sweet potato
1 c mixed veggies

I'm whupped! More tomorrow...

Day 5....legs & back

Today my eating was totally screwed up. I didn't deviated from the foods but I only got in 4 meals because I woke up at 9:45am. I like days off but they mess up my eating (wake up too late).

Compounded on that is the fact that I think I may be getting sick (cold or flu). I will be going to bed at 8:30 in hopes the rest will kick it out of my system.

As far as the workout, very difficult. The back movements were easy because I've already done them with the bands. Some of the leg movements I could not do because my knees are basically shot from years of heavy squats. I did other moves in the program to make up for it. Most of this was due to balance issues (falling).

My body feels like a train wreck. I'm sore as ---- but I'm seeing daily changes in my body composition.

Today's eats...

Meal 1
Sausage Muffins (4 Morningstar soy/veggie sausages, 2 wheat english muffins, 2 slices fat free swiss cheese)....YUMMY
12 oz skim milk
coffee

Meal 2
protein shake

Meal 3
30 almonds
2 strip cheeses

Meal 4
10 oz chicken breast
Mixed steamed veggies

Hope to feel better tomorrow which is Kenpo. Night all...

I'm dragging today. I have either a sinus infection or a very bad head cold. Actually went to bed last night at 7pm instead of 8:30 like I thought I would. Pretty weak and sore right now.

I have Kenpo tonight which should be a blast :rolleyes: with all of this congestion in my nose/chest...

Day 6....Kenpo X

This was a nice break from the weights, hopping around and contorting myself into a pretzel. ;) A lot of kicks, punches, elbows, chops, etc. Don't get me wrong, you'll work up a nice little sweat here but nowhere near as bad as the other workouts.

Starting to feel changes. Getting harder in the chest/shoulder region.

Today's Eats....

Meal 1
2 Sausage biscuits with no fat swiss (see yesterday)
12 oz skim milk
coffee

Meal 2
Protein shake

Meal 3
8 oz chicken breast
3 cups lettuce
1 cup raw spinach
1/2 cup raw mushrooms
cherry tomatoes
4 small squirts fat free italian

Meal 4
Protein bar

Meal 5
Beef & veggie stir fry (steak strips, raw broccoli, chopped green peppers, green onions, chopped tomato, 1/3 cup chicken broth, 4 shakes low sodium soy sauce)

I made up the 5th meal recipe up myself. I modified the recipe since I had english muffins for breakfast. The recipe calls for soba noodles but I had my carb for breakfast.

Rest & relax tonight. Tomorrow is a rest or stretch day but I'll probably do the X Stretch and 30 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical.

Good night all...

Day 7...rest day

I did do 20 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical this morning.

Eating was out of whack again. Only 4 meals.

I cheated and checked my weight/bodyfat. Not supposed to do this until after week 4. Only down 2 pounds but I dropped 1.6% bodyfat.

Today's eats:

Meal 1
Spinach scramble
12 oz lowfat cottage cheese
1/2 grapefruit
coffee

Meal 2
Protein shake

Meal 3
30 almonds
3 strip cheeses

Meal 4
Chicken with basmati rice

Start all over tomorrow. As I become more familiar/comfortable with the movements, the intensity will increase.

Night all...

Day 8...nada

Sorry gang, woke up with stomach flu this morning and went back to bed. Just woke up at 4:30pm.

I will not take the normal rest day on day 7 of this week and will train right through.

Chest & back tomorrow...

Back up and running.

I missed 2 days so it's either start over or skip my rest day (Saturday) until I catch up. I think I'm gonna skip the rest day.

With the 2 day flu, I imagine I may have dropped a pound or two. :(

Fought freezing rain and got home later than usual. If I would have trained & ate, as normal, I would have been getting in bed after 11pm and having to get up at 4am-ish...that isn't going to fly.

I will restart this program on Sunday. I can't miss three days in a row and restart with any momentum. Back at it strong on Sunday...damn flu.

Day 1 (part2)...:D Chest & Back

Oh, mommy...the brutality.

Finished chest & back much faster than Tony and his workout partners on the video. I'm shaking and my muscles have a VERY good pump. Their workout is fast paced but not fast enough for me so I take less rest.

Today's eats:

Meal 1:
Egg whites, mushrooms, raw spinach & lowfat feta cheese scrambled.
Coffee

Meal 2:
Protein shake

Meal 3:
6 oz albacore tuna
Lettuce, spinach and snow pea salad w/lowfat Italian

Meal 4:
Protein bar

Meal 5:
10 oz mesquite chicken breast
broccoli spears w/lemon juice

It's good to be back...crossing my fingers I don't catch any more illnesses. ;)

More tomorrow...

Day 2...plyometrics

Oh boy, I'm glad I only have to do this one once per week. Got the old ticker pumping big time. Feels REAL good to be back. Nice thing about this workout is that it incorporates sport-like activities like mimicking a jump shot, a windup & pitch, high knee football type jumps and the Heisman pose.

Think I may have made an error in my bodyfat calculation. I have a hand held sensor type bodyfat measuring device which measured me at 34% in the beginning. I found my hand held caliper, which is supposed to be more accurate, which had me at 24.7% tonight. Don't know which to believe.

Today's eats:

Meal 1:
2 Morningstar spicy bean veggie burgers w/no fat swiss on wheat English muffins
1 cup skim milk
coffee

Meal 2:
Protein shake

Meal 3:
9.75 oz canned chicken breast
1 cup basmati rice

Meal 4:
protein bar

Meal 5:
8 oz cajun spiced turkey breast sandwich (low cal wheat bread)

Back to the weight room tomorrow. Try to stay warm folks....:)

Day 3....shoulder, biceps, triceps...

RI-FREAKIN-DICULOUS...I got the BEST pump I've EVER had tonight. Oh, mama...I did NOT use the DVD guide tonight because they can't keep up with me.

I know the exercises so I just rock-n-rolled. Delts are fried, tri's are cramped and my biceps measured in at 20" with the blood engorged pump I got tonight. Feels AWESOME !!!!

BTW...starting to see my upper plate of abs.

Today's eats:

Meal 1:
Egg whites, mushrooms & lowfat feta cheese
1 cup fresh strawberries
coffee

Meal 2:
Preotein shake

Meal 3:
Albacore tuna & Miracle Whip Lite on low cal wheat bread
Low calorie/low sodium soup

Meal 4:
Protein bar

Meal 5:
Tomato/basil crusted salmon 8 oz
Mixed veggies

Yoga tomorrow...have a good one!

Sore as heck this morning but the clothes are starting to fit a bit looser.

Drive in was like an ice rink. Be careful out there!!!

More tonight...

Day 4...yoga

Have I mentioned how much I HATE yoga? This stuff is not easy, you lose your balance and you're contorted into a pretzel. At least tomorrow I get to hit the weights again.

Continue to feel leaner...

Today's eats:

Meal 1:
Spicy bean burger w/lowfat swiss on wheat English muffin
cottage cheese
coffee

Meal 2:
Protein shake

Meal 3;
2 albacore tuna sandwiches (on lowcal wheat)
1 strip cheese

Meal 4:
protein bar

Meal 5:
8 oz cajun turkey burger
broccoli

More tomorrow...

Day 5....legs & back

Some of the moves such as wall squats, one-legged wall squats and super skaters are tough in this workout. I almost fell down in agony with cramps after completing my 75th rep on calf raises.

On a side note, I'm pleased with the separation that I'm starting to see in my pecs & delts.

Today's eats:

Meal 1:
Egg whites, fresh spinach, mushrooms, green onions, cherry tomatoes scrambled with fat free cheddar & salsa
4 strips turkey bacon
coffee

Meal 2:
Protein shake

Meal 3:
8 oz leftover cajun turkey burger on lowcal wheat
1 tsp dijon mustard

Meal 4:
protein bar

Meal 5:
Treated myself to a salad from Subway
Lettuce, spinach, tomato, onion, mushrooms, banana peppers, green peppers, pickles, fat free cheese, chicken breast w/lowfat Italian

As an FYI, if some of you are wondering about the food intake....I'm actually supposed to be taking in more calories but this is what I'm comfortable with. Throughout the day I'm not hungry as I drink a lot of water.

Kenpo X tomorrow...good night.

Day 6...Kenpo X

Got this done bright & early this morning in easy fashion. Lots of punches & kicks.

Checked the scale and was pleasantly surprised.

My body is very sore after another week of this. Good to be back on the horse though.

Will only get in four meals though.

Today's eats:

Meal 1:
Egg whites with lowfat feta cheese
4 slices turkey bacon
coffee

Meal 2:
2 Taco Bell Fresco chicken tacos with hot sauce
(not to fret gang, this was only 340 calories and is allowed on the program)

Meal 3:
Strawberry protein shake
1 oz beef jerky

Meal 4 (to be had at 7:30pm)
Teriyaki shrimp stir fry

Tomorrow will be either HIIT on the elliptical or Cardio X

Enjoy the evening gang.

Day 7...supposed to be rest or X Stretch day.

I did 30 minutes of HIIT cardio on the elliptical this morning.

Knock on wood because at this time after I first started, I got sick. Not looking that way this time (crosses fingers).

I've decided after week 4 that I'm going to do P90X "Doubles" which is two workouts per day on 4 of the 7 days.

Eating on weekends is horrible (not enough food) because I sleep in due to waking during the week at 4am-ish. I only get in 4 meals...

Today's eats:

Meal 1:
2 Morningstar chicken patties, 1 slice lowfat swiss, 1 wheat English muffin
1/2 pink grapefruit
coffee

Meal 2:
Protein shake

Meal 3:
Protein bar
handful of yellow raisins
handful of almonds

Meal 4:
10 oz peppered pork tenderloin
1 sweet potato

Back to the weight room for week 2 tomorrow....I'm stoked !!!

Day 8....chest & back

Crushed chest & back tonight. Hurts so bad but feels so good...LOVE IT!!! Got the blood pumping and the heart rate UP tonight. Increased reps in EVERY exercise.

Today's eats:

Meal 1:
Egg whites, fat free cheddar, yellow, red & hit peppers, onions & mushrooms
banana
4 oz skim milk
coffee

Meal 2:
Protein shake

Meal 3:
Lettuce, cherry tomato & fat free cheese salad with lowfat Italian
6 oz leftover peppered pork tenderloin

Meal 4:
Protein bar

Meal 5:
9 oz mesquite chicken breast
rice/veggie mix

I feel freakin AWESOME!!! Rock on and have a good night...BRING IT!!!

Feeling good this morning. Lots of energy and the jeans are fitting looser.

VERY pleased with the program, so far.

I may purchase a weighted vest to up the intensity on chest (pushups)/back night.

Tonight is the Grand Poobah of intensity....plyometrics!

Have a great day all...

Day 9....plyolicious, baby!!!

Banged out the plyometrics in workmanlike fashion. Heart rate up, sweating like a pig....GOTTA LOVE IT!

Starting to see a bit of delineation in the upper abs....nice for a fat boy! ;)

Today's eats:

Meal 1:
2 Morningstar chicken patties with fat free mozzarella on a wheat English muffin
1 cup fresh strawberries
coffee

Meal 2:
Protein shake

Meal 3:
9.75 oz canned chicken breast
1 cup rice w/veggies

Meal 4:
protein bar

Meal 5:
8 oz tomato basil crusted salmon
broccoli

I HIGHLY recommend this program to anyone. You can go at your own pace by pushing "pause" on the DVD if you can't keep up. As Tony says "do your best and forget the rest."

It's starting to become a habit folks...

Day 10....shoulder, bi's, tri's

Pretty good workout. Got a nice pump going in the delts & bi's. Tri's are still cramped up.

I'll be interested to see what my measurements are after 4 weeks because I can definitely see a difference without my shirt on in the mirror.

This workout could have been better. The chronic sinus infection has hit me so breathing isn't easy. I fought through it though.

Today's eats:

Meal 1:
Egg whites, peppers, tomotoes, mushrooms, onions (scrambled)
4 pieces turkey bacon

Meal 2:
protein shake

Meal 3:
6 oz lean turkey breast and ham
2 slices multigrain bread (70 calories)
1 tsp Miracle Whip Lite

Meal 4:
protein bar

Meal 5:
8 oz turkey breast
1 small sweet potato

More tomorrow...

Day 11....yoga

I really hate yoga. That's all I have to say.

Today's eats:

Meal 1:
2 spicy bean burgers
1 whole wheat english muffin
1 banana
coffee

Meal 2:
protein shake

Meal 3:
6 oz turkey breast
salad with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach & fat free mozzarella with Lite Italian

Meal 4:
protein bar

Meal 5:
6 oz mesquite chicken breast
42 sweet potato fries

This workout wasn't fun tonight because my brain is leaking out of my head. This sinus infection is VERY annoying.

I woke up 10 minutes early this morning because I had to sneeze. Ever have to sneeze wearing a C-Pap mask? You want the air to go OUT when you sneeze while a C-Pap machine is blowing air IN through the nasal pillow. Disaster in the making....

Looking forward to legs & back tomorrow....Night all

Day 12....legs & back

I kicked legs and backs !!!!

The only downfall for me is that at my bodyweight, I have to use bands instead of doing pullups for back. I plan on dropping enough weight so I can to pullups on my second round of P90X. Pullups are SO much more effective for building lats than the bands. Oh well, have to make due...for now.

Quads & calves are fried after all of the lunges, calf raises, etc....I LOVE IT !!!

Today's eats:

Meal 1:
Egg whites with fat free mozzarella
4 slices turkey bacon
banana
coffee

Meal 2:
protein shake

Meal 3:
6 oz lowfat turkey & ham
2 slices multigrain lowcal bread

Meal 4:
protein bar

Meal 5:
6 oz turkey breast
lettuce & spinach salad with lowcal Italian

Feel good after fighting through this workout with the sinus infection. Hard part for the week is OVER! Kenpo tomorrow...

Day 13...Kenpo X

Rocked out the Kenpo early this morning and did a little extra cardio. Felt good!!!

I've almost dropped 10 pounds in less than 2 weeks.

For anyone questioning the validity of this program, go over to Beachbody.com's message boards and check out the threads by RedSwarm and Jim Evanski....simply AMAZING!

Today's eats:

Meal 1:
2 Morningstar veggie sausage patties
1 wheat english muffin
egg whites
lowfat cheddar
coffee
(basically made my own healthy version of a Sausage McMuffin that was around 400 calories)

Meal 2:
9.75 oz canned chicken breast w/3 tsp Miracle Whip Lite
1/2 c lowfat cottage cheese

Meal 3:
protein bar
20 almonds
1/4 c golden raisins

Meal 4:
8 oz marinated turkey breast
42 sweet potato fries

This has really progressed well. I plan on doing two 90 days cycles of P90X and then going back into mass training using the P90X principle's.

As always, feel free to PM me with any questions...

Night all...:thumb: