Birds and other Animals

Did anyone else see the video of the Russian man killed by a tiger shark in the Red Sea. I was not looking for it and won't link it, but absolutely brutal and horrifying.

Don't F around with the ocean. Hip deep at the beach is the absolute furthest I'll go.
I heard about this but refuse to watch. Was told it was just like the beach scene in Jaws.

I'm an ocean swimmer. Like Cousin Eddie says, if one lays into me, its best to just let him go.

Hip deep is the absolute extreme. And even then, only clear water like the Gulf. Wouldn't go that far on the Atlantic side.

You guys can go have your ocean stuff. I've read too many reports and seen to many videos of things going wrong whether it's animal attacks, kayak, or scuba accidents. Nope, not for me, unless I'm in a boat I can stand in or I can walk in the shallows.

Hip deep is the absolute extreme. And even then, only clear water like the Gulf. Wouldn't go that far on the Atlantic side.

You guys can go have your ocean stuff. I've read too many reports and seen to many videos of things going wrong whether it's animal attacks, kayak, or scuba accidents. Nope, not for me, unless I'm in a boat I can stand in or I can walk in the shallows.
I'd bet a good amount of money I could change you. Once you get into the ocean and immerse yourself it's magical. It's just like the fear of flying. Go out on a boat in Hawaii, Keys, or Caribbean. Observe... It's heaven imo

I'd bet a good amount of money I could change you. Once you get into the ocean and immerse yourself it's magical. It's just like the fear of flying. Go out on a boat in Hawaii, Keys, or Caribbean. Observe... It's heaven imo
ah nah, I'm on the deck until that boat stops moving. If there's no land in site, there's only two possibilities. Endless horizon or a wave so big you can't see the next one.

The one I'll caveat, at night. Four times been where there was no light pollution (ocean cargo (Equitorial Pacific), destroyer(Atlantic and Med), three times on dive boats (Coral Sea, W. Palm) but one was within miles of shore so not the same as the others. Seen full moon and no moon.

Cargo ship was the best. Very few navigation lights, no other ships or boats, high on the water and you can pretty much go anywheres on deck and the night view of the stars along the equator is just.... different. Seeing the moon cast your shadow on the deck and it was March, so I got to see the equinox. That and watching the moon/sun shoot vertically. I was never conscious our moon/sun rise near Lake Erie was different, until it was.

OT: did you all see that a good part of us are going to be dead center on the eclipse next year?

Last edited:
Did anyone else see the video of the Russian man killed by a tiger shark in the Red Sea. I was not looking for it and won't link it, but absolutely brutal and horrifying.

Don't F around with the ocean. Hip deep at the beach is the absolute furthest I'll go.

Have had a couple of close encounters with Tiger sharks offshore of Carolina while fishing. Sometimes they'll whack a fish you're bringing to the boat and you'll get a nice glimpse of them; we also fought one for a while just to get a look at his size - probably 12 footer, almost half the size of the boat. Always make sure you don't fall in :)

Have had a couple of close encounters with Tiger sharks offshore of Carolina while fishing. Sometimes they'll whack a fish you're bringing to the boat and you'll get a nice glimpse of them; we also fought one for a while just to get a look at his size - probably 12 footer, almost half the size of the boat. Always make sure you don't fall in :)
Like how "almost?" Fish a 24ft boat in the ocean?

Not me brother.🤢

Over the years the boat sizes have been in the 24-30' range; inshore to 60 miles offshore depending on what we're after. Conditions have to be favorable, obviously. Probably a hundred trips over the years, with about a half dozen, let's call them, 'dicey situations'. We've seen an awful lot. Some of the best times of my life.

Over the years the boat sizes have been in the 24-30' range; inshore to 60 miles offshore depending on what we're after. Conditions have to be favorable, obviously. Probably a hundred trips over the years, with about a half dozen, let's call them, 'dicey situations'. We've seen an awful lot. Some of the best times of my life.
A hundred!?!?

You're probably dead and don't know it.

These charters where you're specfically fishing for something in particular? And why Carolina? That better than Florida? What's the smallest fish you ever caught?

These aren't charters. Certain family members have boats. A lot of experience on the water. East coast/North Atlantic differs considerably from Gulf; both are fun!

In most bird species males are bigger than females.

But in almost all raptor species, eagles, hawks, owls, etc., females are larger than males. There are a lot of competing theories as to why. With bald eagles the female can be as much as 1/3 larger.

And yeah, color is no indication of sex with bald eagles.

Last edited:
IMG_6009.jpeg

They stood there and just looked at me as I was walking my dog. Literally just waited for me to walk by before they went back to eating grass.

I don’t think you can hunt deer in a residential area. However, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with hunting them, it’s just not something I could do.

Here it's by special permit to clear nuisance animals I think. I'm only going by vague memory of an article on complaints in a high rent city within the city. There's a couple deer hang outside my fence too. Some guy in the nieghborhood convinced he got Lyme's at that park. He does frequently walk with his dogs and there's not really trails. City doesn't do anything about all the rodents on their properties, they're not likely to do anything about deer.

Here it's by special permit to clear nuisance animals I think. I'm only going by vague memory of an article on complaints in a high rent city within the city. There's a couple deer hang outside my fence too. Some guy in the nieghborhood convinced he got Lyme's at that park. He does frequently walk with his dogs and there's not really trails. City doesn't do anything about all the rodents on their properties, they're not likely to do anything about deer.
I don’t consider them a nuisance, I like having them around. I saw a Fox a few weeks ago, but couldn’t get a good pic of him. He was running off with one of my neighbors dog’s toy.

I don’t consider them a nuisance, I like having them around. I saw a Fox a few weeks ago, but couldn’t get a good pic of him. He was running off with one of my neighbors dog’s toy.
"nuisance" doesn't seem something people get a vote on. It's not refering to them as "bothersome." It's refering to animals that become a danger or economic problem in some sense. A person's own community could declare them a nuisance, regardless they are enjoyed. I'm not sure what rights, if any that government has to euthenize wild animals that are on personal property. Might more be a civil case.

Some of the rules seem semantic to me. For example, you can't "hunt" racoon without permit and in season but apparently you can kill them if on your property if they are a "problem." Either way, like fishing, you're not allowed to sell the meat.

Last edited:
Saw twins this morning in the park across the street and triplets two days ago in the park a mile down the road.

Three! I didn't know they did that.

Ours had two 4 years ago, last year one had a small rack. This year one fawn but I'm not sure if it's from the original doe or one of the off spring. It's cool to have "wild pets" and these are less skitterish but I'm trying to make sure they know better than get too comfortable with humans. Not only for the harm they can cause but the harm that can come to them. I'll let city decide how and when to population control. Most likely, as with anything, city don't give a crap. We've a terrible rodent of many forms problem coming off city properties.

Three! I didn't know they did that.

Ours had two 4 years ago, last year one had a small rack. This year one fawn but I'm not sure if it's from the original doe or one of the off spring. It's cool to have "wild pets" and these are less skitterish but I'm trying to make sure they know better than get too comfortable with humans. Not only for the harm they can cause but the harm that can come to them. I'll let city decide how and when to population control. Most likely, as with anything, city don't give a crap. We've a terrible rodent of many forms problem coming off city properties.
The deer in my neighborhood have no fear of people. I don’t think people are feeding them, I think they’re just used to living in a more urban area.

I have a lot of deer; they are a nuisance with respect to vegetation; they eat a large amount of my plants, flowers and certain trees. They are beautiful animals, no doubt, but they wreak havoc on the yard.

Deer are fine when there are predators focused exclusively on them. Which doesn't happen in an urban atmosphere. If there are predators, they're just as happy with the chained up chihuahua as the deer with sharp hooves.