Big Ten Basketball 2023

Spartacus1987

SEC just took it to the preseason top 2 Big Ten teams albeit in scrimmages but these games were both definitely played like regular season matchups. Conference most likely once again collectively sucks. The combination of length, explosiveness, and shooting just is not in this conference.

Bump. Northwestern about to lose to Mississippi State. The SEC (yes the SEC) has skull drug the Big Ten thus far in the early season. Big Ten has yet to win a game out of 3 or 4 games played

I generally only watch Toledo and Purdue. Purdue games, they only seem to play short teams.

Brayden Smith, hate to do the "white-white" comparison but it's Mark Price vibes I'm getting from this kid.

Really thought Purdue had a chance in this one but Tennessee has started pressing full court and Purdue is now in serious trouble. Too slow and too many white guys playing has killed them being able to create separation or get easy looks going to the basket. SEC just plays a completely different game than the Big Ten.

There is no B1G vs SEC rivalry in basketball. The only rivalry I can think of involving the two is Indiana vs Kentucky and that was always more of a blue blood vs blue blood thing. The only significance in any SEC vs B1G basketball game is notching a quality OOC win for RPI.

There is no B1G vs SEC rivalry in basketball. The only rivalry I can think of involving the two is Indiana vs Kentucky and that was always more of a blue blood vs blue blood thing. The only significance in any SEC vs B1G basketball game is notching a quality OOC win for RPI.
There isn't but that also doesn't mean I also don't hate the SEC in every sport. Their fanbase definitely likes to taunt the Big Ten after these wins for them.

Last edited:
The SEC got really good the last 10 years. Before then it was Kentucky and little else. Now Kentucky is chasing alot of the rest of the conference. It's funny to me that people bang the big ten in hoops and hoops is far more competitive than football is. Yes you have two top end football programs (sort of) in Ohio State and Michigan, but the big ten has more depth and better overall games in basketball, and it's not even close.

I think Purdue may be the real deal this year, but we've heard it before and until they win it all, they'll still just be that good but not great program.

Big win for Illinois last night against FAU. Big Ten needed that in the worst way. Wisconsin plays at Arizona this Saturday. I would not be expecting a win there

I think Purdue may be the real deal this year, but we've heard it before and until they win it all, they'll still just be that good but not great program.

My opinion hasn't changed from last year. Painter is a great guy, but a one trick pony. And Edey still hasn't developed. He can't handle a pass lower the five feet, hasn't taken a shot more than five feet. I guarantee a couple of the top teams recruited in the eventuality. I'm seeing not just tall, but tall and heavy on teams that don't normally do, tall and heavy.

How did rutgers get so good at recruiting?
They got “lucky” with Harper because they recruited his brother who for played them for 4 years. He was just a 3*, barely top 200 player. But was developed into a 2way contract GLeague guy so. The other 5*, from my understanding, is they recruited him and his best friend very early. The best friend also got an offer, one of only two high major offers. Package deal type. But it doesn’t matter if it’s luck with family or packaging deals, those are MASSIVE wins for Rutgers. It’ll be fun watching them next year.

My opinion hasn't changed from last year. Painter is a great guy, but a one trick pony. And Edey still hasn't developed. He can't handle a pass lower the five feet, hasn't taken a shot more than five feet. I guarantee a couple of the top teams recruited in the eventuality. I'm seeing not just tall, but tall and heavy on teams that don't normally do, tall and heavy.
As an IU fan it pains me, but I'm rooting for Purdue this year. They need to somehow get the monkey off their back. They just need to survive the season, I think they'll be a team with only a few losses and have a high seed, #1 or #2. Then they just need to take care of business. Obviously Edey is going to give you what he gives you, but they need the other guys to step up. Yes. they are susceptible to a hot shooting, guard oriented team in the tournament but they may be able to get through the tournament.

As an IU fan it pains me, but I'm rooting for Purdue this year. They need to somehow get the monkey off their back. They just need to survive the season, I think they'll be a team with only a few losses and have a high seed, #1 or #2. Then they just need to take care of business. Obviously Edey is going to give you what he gives you, but they need the other guys to step up. Yes. they are susceptible to a hot shooting, guard oriented team in the tournament but they may be able to get through the tournament.
I don't understand why you would hope that your rival wins it all. IU is decent this year, why wouldn't you be rooting for Purdue to be below .500, and get swept by IU, and for IU to win it all?

As an OSU fan, I would never root for Michigan, or IU, or MSU or any other team to win it all until my team is knocked out. You are a perplexing person.

I don't understand why you would hope that your rival wins it all. IU is decent this year, why wouldn't you be rooting for Purdue to be below .500, and get swept by IU, and for IU to win it all?

As an OSU fan, I would never root for Michigan, or IU, or MSU or any other team to win it all until my team is knocked out. You are a perplexing person.
I'm probably being facetious in saying that, but I just feel that Purdue has been a really good program for a long time and yet they just can't seem to win the big one, or make a long tournament run. You are right, IU is decent, but not on a national level. I think if the Hoosiers finish in the top half of the big ten and make it into the NCAA tournament, that would be a pretty good accomplishment this season. I see Purdue as being a top 10- Top 5 team all season. Rival?? What's a rival anymore?? These kids play AAU against each other for years, I don't see the rival thing as a thing anymore. There are even seasons where IU doesn't play Purdue twice. Unpopular opinion, the OSU/ Michigan rivalry is good for the fans and media, but for the players it's not as big of deal. Again these guys are from all over. How is a kid from Texas going to understand the OSU/ Michigan rivalry. Some kids even transfer to their hated rival school these days.
Not perplexing at all, just call it as I see it.

I see that perpetually overrated Michigan State is 4-4 despite starting the season #4. You’d think with the comparative roster continuity that Izzo employs, they should be winning most of those early-season toss-up games. But nope.

It looks like a bleak year for Big Ten hoops unless Purdue avoids humiliating themselves and the conference in the Big Dance and actually makes a run for once.

I'm probably being facetious in saying that, but I just feel that Purdue has been a really good program for a long time and yet they just can't seem to win the big one, or make a long tournament run. You are right, IU is decent, but not on a national level. I think if the Hoosiers finish in the top half of the big ten and make it into the NCAA tournament, that would be a pretty good accomplishment this season. I see Purdue as being a top 10- Top 5 team all season. Rival?? What's a rival anymore?? These kids play AAU against each other for years, I don't see the rival thing as a thing anymore. There are even seasons where IU doesn't play Purdue twice. Unpopular opinion, the OSU/ Michigan rivalry is good for the fans and media, but for the players it's not as big of deal. Again these guys are from all over. How is a kid from Texas going to understand the OSU/ Michigan rivalry. Some kids even transfer to their hated rival school these days.
Not perplexing at all, just call it as I see it.
Of course Purdue is really good and a top 5 or 10 team. That has nothing to do with it.

You literally said "I am an IU fan and I'm rooting for Purdue to win it all". That is not "calling it like you see it". That is called rooting against your own favorite team. but hey, you do you. I'll just root for my favorite team to win.

I see that perpetually overrated Michigan State is 4-4 despite starting the season #4. You’d think with the comparative roster continuity that Izzo employs, they should be winning most of those early-season toss-up games. But nope.

It looks like a bleak year for Big Ten hoops unless Purdue avoids humiliating themselves and the conference in the Big Dance and actually makes a run for once.
We see this every year because of Izzo, it just goes to show that the polls are nothing but popularity contests. Izzo comes across as the grumpy old grandpa type and plays nice with media and it's paid off for him. I will say he does a nice job of coaching up his teams, he generally doesn't get blue chippers year in a year out. But they are always over rated early on and drop down.

Of course Purdue is really good and a top 5 or 10 team. That has nothing to do with it.

You literally said "I am an IU fan and I'm rooting for Purdue to win it all". That is not "calling it like you see it". That is called rooting against your own favorite team. but hey, you do you. I'll just root for my favorite team to win.
Only because Purdue has a legitimate shot of winning it all this year, IU does not. So you're looking for tickets for the final four for your Buckeyes?? That's a little bit of a stretch isn't it? This isn't football.

Only because Purdue has a legitimate shot of winning it all this year, IU does not. So you're looking for tickets for the final four for your Buckeyes?? That's a little bit of a stretch isn't it? This isn't football.
I didn't say that at all. Just rooting for my team instead of jumping on a different bandwagon. I'm not ruling out the Buckeyes until they are actually out of it. Looked pretty good so far...

I don't understand why people hope for weak rivals? I don't root against IU except a few games a year. Solid academics, solid people, solid program. The better they do, the better it looks when Purdue beats them.

And a lot of us grew up when Knight was king. They scheduled Toledo at HOME, the first game after their undefeated championship team, with many of the same players. It was no secret that Toledo was a tough team at home. Knight knew. There's no gain in beating weak teams. Some top team's schedule Toledo's women because they know it may be the one game their players will see a loud, packed arena and they want to get their team play-off ready. That's what winners do, right?

I didn't say that at all. Just rooting for my team instead of jumping on a different bandwagon. I'm not ruling out the Buckeyes until they are actually out of it. Looked pretty good so far...
They always do before the conference season. The Buckeye basketball program is notorious for scheduleing cupcakes, outside of the ACC/ Big ten showdown.

They always do before the conference season. The Buckeye basketball program is notorious for scheduleing cupcakes, outside of the ACC/ Big ten showdown.
Say what? Maybe under Thad, but Holtmann…to his credit…has done away with that scheduling.

These are Ohio State’s significant non-conference games over the last five seasons. 2020/21 is a little thin, but the rest are pretty good.

2019/20
Cincinnati
Villanova
North Carolina
Kentucky
West Virginia

2020/21
Notre Dame
UCLA

2021/22
Xavier
Seton Hall