Jack Foltz(1983-86) 14-23
Don Ault(1987-90) 23-17
Kerry Hodakievic(1991-93) 20-10
Ed Robinson(1994-96) 11-19
Tim Flossie(1997-2001) 19-32
Jay Glaze(2002-06) 18-32
Brian Staats(2007-09) 8-22
Jeff Sharkey(2010-present)

Barberton has also had two coaches resign after accepting the job without ever coaching a game. Jerry Buti who was hired after the 1986 season and Jon Wallace who was hired after the 2006 season.

Also, Stanley Pratt and Ron Fenik never get the credit they deserve for turning around the Barberton program. Even though both finished with losing records, Pratt started Barberton down the path of success while Fenik turned around the program after Cooksey ran it into the ground.

And how is Jimmy Price not in the Barberton Sports Hall of Fame? His record is strong, he won two league championships, shut out Massillon three years in a row(Including two against Paul Brown) and was the coach of arguably the greatest player in Barberton history!

Last edited by a moderator:

You really do not know anything about BHS football if you believe Al Cooksey was that bad (didn't he win his last 5 games at BHS). You know even less if you even begin to think Fenik was a coach. Davis, Carlucci, Mollric, Espozito and others left the program under him. The best thing he did was to get out of the way and then to get out of town. If you do not believe this ask some of these men or the guys who played on those teams. I like your BLIND love of the Magics but sometime you must open your eyes. Ask Ray Gori about Fenik. and be ready for an earfull.

You really do not know anything about BHS football if you believe Al Cooksey was that bad (didn't he win his last 5 games at BHS). You know even less if you even begin to think Fenik was a coach. Davis, Carlucci, Mollric, Espozito and others left the program under him. The best thing he did was to get out of the way and then to get out of town. If you do not believe this ask some of these men or the guys who played on those teams. I like your BLIND love of the Magics but sometime you must open your eyes. Ask Ray Gori about Fenik. and be ready for an earfull.

Fenik was 8-1-1 his last year as a coach and then took a position at Muskingum. Like him or not, that season elevated Barberton football out of the ranks of the mediocre and set the table for Sharkey's decade long run as a state powerhouse.

Cooksey did win his last five games of the 1969 season after starting that season 0-4-1. That was a team that, from a talent standpoint, should have been no worse than 8-2!

So let me get this straight. Cooksey(5-4-1) and then moves down to Medina, isn't that bad. Fenik(8-1-1) and moves up to the college ranks, is not a coach. That makes sense:rolleyes:

WRONG AGAIN... Fenik came from Muskingum and left for Jackson (southern Ohio). Check it out with some of those people... THEN talk! Al Cooksey at least was a coach... Why do you suppose Jeep left the staff?
Also apparent you do not check the facts!!

WRONG AGAIN... Fenik came from Muskingum and left for Jackson (southern Ohio). Check it out with some of those people... THEN talk! Al Cooksey at least was a coach... Why do you suppose Jeep left the staff?
Also apparent you do not check the facts!!

You are correct, I had Feniks moves reversed.

I have taken your advise and talked to people who were around back then. Quite frankly, no one really had much good to say about either one. I guess there is a reason why they both had very mediocre records during a time when Barberton was producing enormous talent.

As for Jeep, maybe he just didn't want to coach football anymore, I don't know. I would guess though, that Sharkey would have had him on staff had he wanted to coach. Just a guess though.

Anyway, this thread was supposed to be about more than two coaches with mediocre records.

You are correct, I had Feniks moves reversed.

I have taken your advise and talked to people who were around back then. Quite frankly, no one really had much good to say about either one. I guess there is a reason why they both had very mediocre records during a time when Barberton was producing enormous talent.

As for Jeep, maybe he just didn't want to coach football anymore, I don't know. I would guess though, that Sharkey would have had him on staff had he wanted to coach. Just a guess though.

Anyway, this thread was supposed to be about more than two coaches with mediocre records.
==========================================================
///// and who opened the door to discuss these two coacheS?
Keith Luck told me that he as a player thought that Sharkey was the head coach for over half of that 1971 season. I believe that in 72 the MAGICS WERE 8-2 WITH BOTH LOSSES TO A STATE CHAMPION IN WARREN AND STV. nOW THERE IS A TEAM THAT WAS UNDER RATED, AND AMONG THE BHS BEST!!

Fenik was 8-1-1 his last year as a coach and then took a position at Muskingum. Like him or not, that season elevated Barberton football out of the ranks of the mediocre and set the table for Sharkey's decade long run as a state powerhouse.

Cooksey did win his last five games of the 1969 season after starting that season 0-4-1. That was a team that, from a talent standpoint, should have been no worse than 8-2!

So let me get this straight. Cooksey(5-4-1) and then moves down to Medina, isn't that bad. Fenik(8-1-1) and moves up to the college ranks, is not a coach. That makes sense:rolleyes:

I played for Coach Cooksey his two years at Barberton and I don't know where you got your information about the 1969 talent but we were lucky to be 5-4-1. We did have Mike Peresta who was an All American at center and linebacker but Bob Gleichert, who would become a very good halfback in 1971, was a sophomore and playing quarterback. Otherwise we were just an OK team...a little on the small side. I'm sorry, I wish we did have that kind of talent.

Last edited: