2024 Toledo Central Catholic Football

CCHS93

TCC usually doesn't have its own thread. So I figured I'd start one for next year's team.
(updated 4/4/24):

TCC will have to replace a lot of talent.

Graduating starters include:
1712238973051.png

Last edited:

Here is what I know, thus far, for college offers for the 2023 Toledo Central Catholic team {updated 4/29/24):

GRADUATING SENIORS:
#8 Terry Collins QB offers: Defiance; Madonna; Mount Union: Olivet

#22 Marquan Braswell RB committed to Northwood; offers: Ashland; Defiance; Mount Union; Notre Dame Col; Olivet; Siena Heights; Trine; Westminster; Wittenberg

#50 Tyrell Green OL committed to Eastern Kentucky.; offers: Alabama A&M; Defiance; Lock Haven; Marshall; Mercyhurst: Notre Dame Col.; Washburn; Wayne St.
#52 Kendrick Bankston OL committed to Siena Heights; offers: Capital; Defiance; Mount St. Joseph; Mount Union; Olivet
#53 Elijah Williams OL committed to Kent St.; offers: Austin Peay; Marshall; Ohio Dominican; Old Dominion; Thomas More; Tiffin; Wayne St.
#55 Marc Nave OL committed to Kentucky; offers: Akron; ASU., Auburn; BGSU; BC; CMU; Duke; EMU; Georgia; Indiana; KSU; Louisville; Marshall; UMass; Miami-OH; Missouri; Ohio St., Pitt; Purdue, USF; Toledo
#78 Nick Banaszak OL offer from Siena Heights

#85 Austin Hernandez K committed to Heidelberg

#1 Jaylen Watson WR/DB committed to Iowa; offers: Cincinnati; Kent St.; Liberty; Marshall; Maryland; Minnesota; West Virginia
#5 Marvon Greenlee WR/DB committed to Tiffin; offers: Adrian; Capital; Concordia; Defiance; Indy; Judson; Madonna; Mount Union; Northwood; Ohio Dominican; Olivet; Otterbein; Thomas More; Trine; Westminster; Wittenberg

#53 Jayden Dick DL committed to Defiance; offers: Capital; Heidelberg; Judson; Mount Union; Olivet; Otterbein; Trine
#54 Michael Cannings DL committed to Findlay; offers: Defiance; John Carroll; Mercyhurst; Mount St. Joseph; Olivet; Otterbein; Thomas More; Trine; Washburn; Wayne St.; Westminster
#56 Ronald Collins DL offers: Olivet; Thomas More
#66 Semaj Michael DL offers: Notre Dame Col.; Olivet

#9 Christian Jackson committed to Thomas More; offers: Mount Union; Ohio Dominican; Tiffin
#41 Jayden Mitchell LB offer from Trine
#59 Devante Wright-Ward LB committed to Defiance; offer from Thomas More

#3 Jayden Barnes DB committed to Grand Valley St.; offers: Indy; Madonna; Mercyhurst; Notre Dame Col.; Ohio Dominican; Olivet

RETURNING PLAYERS:
#71 Zenaje Liggons OL offer from Bluffton
#10 LaVelle Stokes* WR offer: Davenporr; Ohio Dominican; Tiffin
#17 Preston Fryzel** WR offers: Kent St., Louisville, UMass, Miami (OH), Toledo
#28 Sharard Vaughn** WR/DB offer: Kent St., Miami (OH), Toledo
#11 Dominic Spinnaze * TE offer from Wayne St.
#33 Michael Besteda* LB offer from Toledo
#12 D'Haron Flowers* DB offer from Ohio Dominican
#13 Desmond Flowers* DB offers: Grinnell,; Ohio Dominican; Tiffin
#21 Victor Singleton** DB offers: Akron; BGSU; Cincinnati; Indiana; KSU; Kentucky; Pitt; Purdue; Toledo; Wisconsin

*junior
**sophomore

Last edited:
Tentative schedule:

**If St. Francis moves down to the middle division in the Catholic league, that would mean UofD Jesuit and/or Divine Child would move up. It would force the Irish/Knight game to be an out of conference matchup. I heard recently that St. Francis did get moved down. So we will have to see how this shakes out.

TOLEDO CENTRAL CATHOLIC
1(H) Findlay
2(H) Toledo Whitmer
3@ Detroit Catholic Central (MI)
4(H) Brother Rice (MI)
5@ Warren DeLaSalle (MI)
6@ Cleveland St. Ignatius
7(H) Toledo St. John's
8(H) Orchard Lake St. Mary's (MI)
9@ Toledo St. Francis
10Prep Bowl or Crossover Game

Great post. Big loss on the offensive line, does TCC have talent ready to step in?

That OLine was incredible in 2023.
Thats the $64,000 question. Based on the roster of guys, they have 5 guys who were backups this year that average 6'2" and 275lbs. I have no idea how good they are. Perhaps with off season training and conditioning they will bulk up a bit and be ready.

On OL, they'll have 2025s Jamarion Rushing 6'6 327 and Kemarr Walker 6'4 270ish, and 2026 Zenaje Liggons 6'3 265. All three saw playing time in 2023, and they'll definitely step up come next year. DeAngelo Lyons is a second Tyler Morgan-type back, small but quick and powerful. They'll have good options offensively and I have no doubt Fox will ball out at QB come next year.

In terms of defense, LB Gavin Eckhart 6'0 210 will come back after he hurt his leg in the SJJ game. Big guy and he was playing really well (I think over Christian Jackson too) before he got injured. They return nearly all of their secondary save for Barnes and Watson when he played on D.

Is that normal? Seems like a lot.
I only started paying attention last year. It was similar last year too. To be sure, most of the players have D2 and D3 offers. So it's not like the team is loaded with D1 Big 10 guys. But there are a couple. A lot of these kids make the rounds at the various football camps at places like Tiffin, Toledo, etc. They get noticed by coaches.

If I had more time, I'd look into Whitmer, Findlay, and other schools. I don't know for sure, but I'd say there are a decent number of players in those programs who get offers as well.

So its official:
  1. Marc Nave signs with Kentucky
  2. Jaylen Watson signs with Iowa
  3. Elijah Williams signs with Kent St.
  4. Kendrick Bankston committed to Siena Heights
Central also had:
  1. 2 signed with Tiffin for baseball: Austin Guerra and Jaxon Sanchez
  2. 1 signed with Siena Heights for baseball: Josh Floyd
  3. 1 signed with Loyola Chicago for girls basketball: Brooklyn Vaughn.

So its official:
  1. Marc Nave signs with Kentucky
  2. Jaylen Watson signs with Iowa
  3. Elijah Williams signs with Kent St.
  4. Kendrick Bankston committed to Siena Heights
Central also had:
  1. 2 signed with Tiffin for baseball: Austin Guerra and Jaxon Sanchez
  2. 1 signed with Siena Heights for baseball: Josh Floyd
  3. 1 signed with Loyola Chicago for girls basketball: Brooklyn Vaughn.
At least 2 to the B1G? Who you think you guys are? Fremont Ross during my growing up years?

A couple more offers today for Collins and Wright-Ward. I saw Cannings did well wrestling and placed 5th in Ohio in the 285lb weight class. Would he play football or would he wrestle in college?

A couple more offers today for Collins and Wright-Ward. I saw Cannings did well wrestling and placed 5th in Ohio in the 285lb weight class. Would he play football or would he wrestle in college?
I'm no expert on what colleges are looking for, but Cannings and Braswell are the two guys I'm surprised aren't getting MAC offers.

I'm no expert on what colleges are looking for, but Cannings and Braswell are the two guys I'm surprised aren't getting MAC offers.
I agree on both. Cannings is a beast on DL. Hopefully someone will notice. Braswell is a strong runner. Hopefully they can go at least D2 if not MAC.

The transfer portal has been damaging to high school recruiting. The money schools now pluck away talent that’s already proven at the college level, rather than spend time developing their own players. Hopefully these guys can showcase their talents wherever they end up. Who knows maybe they’ll end up at the FBS level because ever since Cannings was a starter as a sophomore, I could’ve sworn he’d end up a big time recruit.

The twins Josh and Sam Lee are an example of “moving up” through the transfer portal as they starred at Hillsdale College for 2 years and now have received multiple D1 offers.

Cannings committed to Findlay. Congrats to him. I also saw Banaszak got an offer from Siena Heights and will probably commit there. So all 5 OL guys will be playing on Saturdays

Victor Singleton received 3 offers this week from Bowling Green, Cincinnati, and Indiana. That's 5 D1 offers and he is just a sophomore.

Marquan Braswell committed D2 Northwood. That's 8 seniors from the 2023 team that will be playing on Saturdays.

What's the bigger question mark for TCC heading into the 2024 season? Replacing all 5 of the starting offensive line - OR - who's the QB?

What's the bigger question mark for TCC heading into the 2024 season? Replacing all 5 of the starting offensive line - OR - who's the QB?
Replacing the OL will be tough but it looks like they have a decent stable of replacements all in the 250lb+ range. And they got some decent playing time last year due to some of the blowouts. As for QB, I had heard it would likely be Fox.

Three sophomores received offers from Kent St. today. WR/TE Preston Fryzel received his first college offer, WR Sharard Vaughn received his first college offer, and DB Victor Singleton received his 7th.