2024 SWBL Offseason/Season

alk4474

Waynesville will be the team to beat year I really think they could make a run for the state title.
Valley view losses a lot but they do have young good players coming up

I agree both of those teams will be tough to beat. I wonder how Madison and Carlisle will do with their new coaches. I am assuming Carlisle will much better than they have been in the past.

Waynesville will be the team to beat year I really think they could make a run for the state title.
Valley view losses a lot but they do have young good players coming up
the valley view players are more than pissed to say the least they are coming out for blood this year and the players have already started putting in work i am confident that even though valley view lost a bunch of player the seniors and Juniors will step up and make another run they understand that they will have to change up the offense a little bit after losing Henson but they are ready to do whatever it takes to never feel that same pain again

Losing a three year starter in Henson will be difficult for VV to replace. I say that, but the Spartans also seemingly always have a solid QB as well. VV did play a lot of younger players this season in key positions, so the foundation is in place. I would expect to see a lot of the same in 2024. VV, Waynesville, Bellbrook, Eaton, and Brookville all fielding very competitive football teams. Some turnover with Carlisle, Franklin, and Madison makes them a bit of an unknown. I would expect Edgewood and Ross to rebound in 2024 as well. I expected both to be better than they were in 2023, would not expect them to be down long.

Waynesville is a mystery to me. I expect them to be good as they seem to be well coached. How many seniors did they lose and were they in key positions that would tough to replace?

Waynesville is a mystery to me. I expect them to be good as they seem to be well coached. How many seniors did they lose and were they in key positions that would tough to replace?
I believe they lost a few key guys. Lineman, WR, Kicker and a few defensive players. I am not sure how well the JV guys did this year and not sure what is coming up. Only 33 players this year hopefully with the success they had this year more kids come out.

Bringing back qb and rb will help this team but it all starts up front!

I agree both of those teams will be tough to beat. I wonder how Madison and Carlisle will do with their new coaches. I am assuming Carlisle will much better than they have been in the past.
Madison? Did Poff leave?

Valley View loses Henson, Lynch, Micha Valenti, Bryce Reed, and Landon Malara. But returns 6 starters on O and 7 on D. as long as they find their QB and develop another skill guy to go along with Wollet and the younger Valenti. Tristan Smith will replace Lynch. Good news is that VV retains most of their O line, D line and front 7. They will be just fine

Valley View loses Henson, Lynch, Micha Valenti, Bryce Reed, and Landon Malara. But returns 6 starters on O and 7 on D. as long as they find their QB and develop another skill guy to go along with Wollet and the younger Valenti. Tristan Smith will replace Lynch. Good news is that VV retains most of their O line, D line and front 7. They will be just fine
For some reason I thought Henson was only a junior. That’s a big blow right there. Of those 6 on offense and 7 on defense how many of those guys go both ways?

Valley View had 24 freshman on this team of 66 total players. The physical jump some players make from 14-16 will help VV fill holes. They will undoubtedly be less lethal on the offensive end. Averaging 48 points per game again without their star QB and RB will be a pipe dream. But I look for the defense to be better than this past season. A lot of VVs key players on D were sophomores and the development that this new coaching staff is getting out of these players in the past 2 off seasons have been paramount. In a lot of smaller schools losing a senior class as explosive as this wound create a 1-2 year rebuild for them. I believe VV is set up to avoid that have have a more reload mentality rather than a rebuild one. Now does that mean I’m looking for VV to go 13-2 for the 3rd year in a row? Not currently as I have no idea who’s going to take the snaps for VV and losing Bryce Reed on the OL and MLB will be hard to replace. However it would not shock me to see VV right back in the same place they were this year. Playing either Brookville or Waynesville for the regional title. I’m also betting on Milton Union building back up. Region 20 will be fun next year.

I see Carlisle didn't learn anything from their previous interviewing process. Still haven't posted the job on the OHSAA website. Other schools are already interviewing and looking to hire and Carlisle is just waiting...................I would think they would want to hire ASAP so the new coach can get an off season training program going.

Valley View had 24 freshman on this team of 66 total players. The physical jump some players make from 14-16 will help VV fill holes. They will undoubtedly be less lethal on the offensive end. Averaging 48 points per game again without their star QB and RB will be a pipe dream. But I look for the defense to be better than this past season. A lot of VVs key players on D were sophomores and the development that this new coaching staff is getting out of these players in the past 2 off seasons have been paramount. In a lot of smaller schools losing a senior class as explosive as this wound create a 1-2 year rebuild for them. I believe VV is set up to avoid that have have a more reload mentality rather than a rebuild one. Now does that mean I’m looking for VV to go 13-2 for the 3rd year in a row? Not currently as I have no idea who’s going to take the snaps for VV and losing Bryce Reed on the OL and MLB will be hard to replace. However it would not shock me to see VV right back in the same place they were this year. Playing either Brookville or Waynesville for the regional title. I’m also betting on Milton Union building back up. Region 20 will be fun next year.
I'm assuming a lot here, but VV always has a good offense and good QB. I anticipate they'll find a new QB that can run this offense. Undoubtedly they'll miss Henson's experience. He was a very talented QB as a soph, but grew into an outstanding QB by his senior year.

3 for sure. Flannery, Smith, and Valenti (the younger one)
That’s very good for a school that size to have that few guys two platooning. Shawnee had 4-5 guys doing that this year and I think as the season wears on the more guys you have doing that puts you at a disadvantage

If reports are true about Mark Mueller becoming the new coach at Monroe then I think Monroe will improve pretty quickly. Proven winner at New Albany and CHCA. I know he was a Wing T guy at New Albany but believe he has been spread at CHCA and Fenwick. Monroe was ravaged with injuries this year but I think there is opportunity for them to get better. They had 85 kids in August.

If reports are true about Mark Mueller becoming the new coach at Monroe then I think Monroe will improve pretty quickly. Proven winner at New Albany and CHCA. I know he was a Wing T guy at New Albany but believe he has been spread at CHCA and Fenwick. Monroe was ravaged with injuries this year but I think there is opportunity for them to get better. They had 85 kids in August.
I think Fenwick was a wing-t/option team last year. Not sure if his staff will go with him to Monroe or not. His OC teaches at Waynesville.

Yeah, Eaton would make deep runs like this too if they were division 5 region 20.
Eaton would have success in R20, but don't forget, Eaton lost to Brookville 37-17 and lost to Valley View, 35-27, this season. They were able to beat Waynesville in OT at home, but it was an extremely competitive game, 32-29. I wouldn't automatically assume Eaton would run through R20.

The past two seasons, Monroe has had a quality football team that has been riddled with injuries. If they could stay healthy in 2023, I think they're more like a 5-5 football team instead of a 2-8 football team.

Eaton would have success in R20, but don't forget, Eaton lost to Brookville 37-17 and lost to Valley View, 35-27, this season. They were able to beat Waynesville in OT at home, but it was an extremely competitive game, 32-29. I wouldn't automatically assume Eaton would run through R20.
They would also have to have fewer boys! Do we all get to pick which boys they lose to drop a division? Or does Eaton just want to play in a lower division with more boys than everyone else has?

Are any of the new larger schools seeing any development? Valley View is king again! They are the team to beat. Impressive what they’ve done.

Congrats to the all state Swbl players in D4 and D5.

Caden Henson (VV) Co offensive POY 1st team D5 senior

Ben Johnson D5 coach of year

Kage Girek (VV) senior 1st team
Bryce Reed ( VV) senior 1st team
Micah Valenti (VV) senior 1st team
Landen Malara (VV) senior 2nd team

Connor Berrey (Waynesville) sr1st team
Matt Wilkerson (Waynesville) sr 1st team
Garrett Lundy (Waynesville) JR 1st team
Alex Amburgy (Waynesville) Jr 2nd team
Jon Brillhart (Waynesville) Sr 2nd team

Kory Davis (Brookville) Sr 1st team